PDA

View Full Version : Nothing From Something

Hux
03-25-2006, 09:23 PM
I decided to dedicate a thread to the greatest song ever made (in my opinion at least).

Hereís a quick analysis of the songÖ(skip to the bottom for the chat for the song).

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Writer: Marvin Fergusen and The Offspring (Noodles, Greg K, Ron Welty and Dexter Holland)

Album: Ignition (track no.11), released by Epitaph in 1992

Lyrics:
http://offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/lyrics?releaseID=101&startingTrackNumber=11

Meaning:

Things are coming down on me
They never seem to let it be

Stress is constantly building up in my life and life is showing no mercy

It seems like everything I say just starts another fight

No matter how hard I try, I always somehow manage to create conflict with others or myself

The pressure's building up inside
I gotta let it out tonight
Shattered glass will cure my ills and make me feel alright

This stress keeps building. I need an outlet. My anger can only be released through destruction

Gonna break it
And never stop running
Making nothing from something

I'm releasing my anger on inanimate objects and I am not going to stop until I feel satisfied

Cut me for the lion's share
It's mindless, but I don't care

This action I am taking is quite pointless, but it doesn't matter because it gets the job done

'Cause no matter what I say
I'm in a another fight

Still, everything I try to do, even with good intentions, always comes back to haunt me

Take more shit, I've had enough
Tonight I'm gonna rip it up
Broken windows cure my ills and make me feel alright

I have taken enough from this world and now I am going to give it all back to the world

Submitted by Drummerguy123

More opinions welcome.

Tabs:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/o/offspring/nothing_from_something_tab.htm
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/o/offspring/nothing_from_something_ver2_tab.htm
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/o/offspring/nothing_from_something_power_tab.htm
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/o/offspring/nothing_from_something_ver2_power_tab.htm
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/o/offspring/nothing_from_something_btab.htm

http://www.911tabs.com/link/?1414554

I think these are two versions for the two guitars depending on difficulty, a bass tab and a drum tab. Iím not sure if these are accurate so if you have the correct version please post it here.

Bootlegs:

http://www.offspringbootlegs.co.uk/audio/houston93/02%20-%20Nothing%20From%20Something(houston93).mp3

The quality isnít very good and the microphone is cut off a bit but I still love it, you can here the rhythm (bass and guitar) which really gets to me and the vocals are kind of cool :p.

If anyone else has any more audio or video bootlegs please post them here.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
So what do you guys think about Nothing From Something, do you like or dislike the song and explain why. I personally love it because the music gets me going and just sounds amazing, the vocals are great, listening to the song makes me really happy :)! My favourite parts are the beginning to the end of the second verse, and the second part of the bridge (when the second guitar and the drums play more toms and stuff) to the end :p (I still enjoy the beginning of the bridge though). Whatís your favourite or least favourite part of the song?

Drummerguy123
03-25-2006, 09:29 PM
It's a terrific song, but it isn't the best on Ignition. Don't get me wrong, I love it a lot, I just think that Forever and a Day and hypodermic have bettre lyrics and stuff. The meaning I got out of it is a bit different than yours, but I will refrain from explaining it because I don't feel like being a dick.

Hux
03-25-2006, 09:30 PM
The meaning I got out of it is a bit different than yours, but I will refrain from explaining it because I don't feel like being a dick.
Why would you feel like a dick?

That_Guy91
03-25-2006, 09:31 PM
Why would you feel like a dick?
Because he would steal the thread. By "explain" he means "write an 18 page report".

Hux
03-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Lol, I could see that.

alistair13
03-25-2006, 09:34 PM
nothing from something is my second-favorite on ignition, topped by forever and a day. awesome song.

Jebus
03-25-2006, 09:35 PM
what? I didn't known that offspring didn't write their own songs! Fucking poser sell outs!

Llamas
03-25-2006, 09:37 PM
probably my favorite song on ignition. I'm not even totally sure why. I take the meaning a little different... I think it's just about a guy who can't get anything right, and so he's got so much anger and rage built up that he's breaking shit. He doesn't know how to deal with his anger, so he just smashes and breaks things because it's the only way he knows how to release (and breaking something makes nothing from something). He breaks things and he thinks that his way of dealing with his pain is really just running away from it. He's not confronting his pain because he doesn't know how to- he's just smashing things.

really terrific song- one of my favorite offspring songs, and I think it probably is my favorite on ignition, which is an amazing album in itself.

pyromaniac
03-25-2006, 09:39 PM
i've always liked that song and think that it should get a thread entirely about it. I'm not too good at giving great details, but I like the rythm of it and the lyrics are great, too. The whole Ignition album was good in my opinion.
Well,thats my two cents.

Drummerguy123
03-25-2006, 09:39 PM
OMGZ!1!!1!! Teh Offprng rote about teh cutterz!!!!11!!!one!! :eek:

Drummerguy123
03-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Because he would steal the thread. By "explain" he means "write an 18 page report".

Pretty much. I have been known to do that.

See what I mean? (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22106)

Hux
03-25-2006, 09:42 PM
Yeah I know, but I don't mind, give your explanation of the meaning, that's what I'm looking for, I don't care how long it is.

Drummerguy123
03-25-2006, 09:46 PM
:rolleyes: Okay, but give me a few minutes. This might take a while...

Llamas
03-25-2006, 09:49 PM
I gave my two cents, and now I'm out :)

Jebus
03-25-2006, 09:51 PM
what? I didn't known that offspring didn't write their own songs! Fucking poser sell outs!
seriously, someone fill me more in this. I had no idea offspring didn't write thier music by themselves. :(

Llamas
03-25-2006, 09:55 PM
look in teh back of the ignition booklet. "all songs written by the offspring except "session" written by kristine luna, jill eckhaus, and the offspring and "nothing from something" written by marvin ferguson and the offspring". It's no secret that the offspring sometimes has co-writers...

Hux
seriously, someone fill me more in this. I had no idea offspring didn't write thier music by themselves. :(
It's only a few songs like session and beheaded, they are co-written.

That_Guy91
ghey selloutz!!!

Llamas
03-25-2006, 09:56 PM
:rolleyes: Okay, but give me a few minutes. This might take a while...
I really don't think it's that hard of a song to analyze.

Drummerguy123
03-25-2006, 10:05 PM
I really don't think it's that hard of a song to analyze.

it's not, but I'm lazy and I haven't started yet. I'll get to it now.

Jebus
03-25-2006, 10:07 PM
It's only a few songs like session and beheaded, they are co-written.
beheaded and session were some of my favorite songs back in day. After hearing this atrocious news about offspring not being tru punx, they're dead to me now.

DeAtHsTaR
03-25-2006, 10:09 PM
It's a great song, but probably my least favorite on Ignition. Just goes to show how good Ignition is.

Llamas
03-25-2006, 10:09 PM
haha they're not tru punx cause they co-wrote? :P cool. good think I hate tru punx :)

Drummerguy123
03-25-2006, 10:10 PM
Things are coming down on me
They never seem to let it be

It seems like everything I say just starts another fight
No matter how hard I try, I always somehow manage to create conflict with others or myself

The pressure's building up inside
I gotta let it out tonight
Shattered glass will cure my ills and make me feel alright
This stress keeps building. I need an outlet. My anger can only be released through destruction

Gonna break it
And never stop running
I'm releasing my anger on inanimate objects and I am not going to stop until I feel satisfied

Cut me for the lion's share
It's mindless, but I don't care

This action I am taking is quite pointless, but it doesn't matter because it gets the job done

'Cause no matter what I say
I'm in a another fight
Still, everything I try to do, even with good intentions, always comes back to haunt me

Take more shit, I've had enough
Tonight I'm gonna rip it up
Broken windows cure my ills and make me feel alright
I have taken enough from this world and now I am going to give it all back to the world

Jebus
03-25-2006, 10:11 PM
haha they're not tru punx cause they co-wrote? :P cool. good think I hate tru punx :)
Not having music co-written is rule no. 1 in the tru punx bible.

Drummerguy123
03-25-2006, 10:11 PM
beheaded and session were some of my favorite songs back in day. After hearing this atrocious news about offspring not being tru punx, they're dead to me now.

Fucking sellouts! :mad: :confused: :(

Drummerguy123
03-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Not having music co-written is rule no. 1 in the tru punx bible.

Damn. I am gonna need a copy of this gospel.

Hux
03-25-2006, 10:12 PM

That's a great explanation. Nicely done.

Drummerguy123
03-25-2006, 10:13 PM
That's a great explanation. Nicely done.

Thank you.

Hux
03-25-2006, 10:14 PM
I'll put it on the starting post along with your name for credit ;).

Llamas
03-25-2006, 10:15 PM

that was basically what I said in my post, I just said it quicker, haha.

jebus, name one tru punx group that didn't ever cowrite :P

Drummerguy123
03-25-2006, 10:16 PM
I'll put it on the starting post along with your name for credit ;).

Cool. Me = :cool:

BIG Nicky
03-26-2006, 09:40 AM
I like Nothing from something, its a pretty cool song makes me jump all the time with my air guitar. :D :D :D :p

offspringdude17
03-26-2006, 10:49 AM
yes ilke the song too. i like the lyric its very good and well the hole song is cool :D

Hux
03-26-2006, 05:04 PM
Well I don't think there's anyone that doesn't like Nothing From Something which is good, but really, who could hate such a spectacular song ;).

offspringdude17
03-27-2006, 12:35 AM
Well I don't think there's anyone that doesn't like Nothing From Something which is good, but really, who could hate such a spectacular song ;).

no one :cool:

Llamas
03-27-2006, 12:40 AM
I think my favorite part about the song is that the guitar part is simple, but it sounds SO COOL against the melody. I don't know what it is...

HeadAroundU
03-27-2006, 01:55 AM
yep....spectacular song! fucking cool song!

Drums <3

Gayman
03-27-2006, 12:35 PM
The whole album is so great!!! This song is top5 from it. Great song!!!