PDA

View Full Version : How tolerant of other cultures are you?

the_GoDdEsS
12-11-2004, 12:47 AM
Where do you draw the line? What offends you? What sort of behaviour can’t you accept?

Scarecrow
12-11-2004, 02:55 AM
anything but Slager music :P

as long as people respect eachother i guess i tolerate a lot.

acgc2002
12-11-2004, 03:46 AM
I am tolerate to all cultures, except some strict middle east ones. I would not stand walking covered from the head up to the feet in a 40 C degrees land, covering my whole body because of a boring culture that women can´t dress normal.

The Talking Pie
12-11-2004, 04:44 AM
As tolerant as could be... however, I hate the current notion of 'culture'. It's just another method of dividing people into groups to label yourself a victim or label someone else an aggressor.

If someone's nice they're nice, if they're a useless cuntrag they're a useless cuntrag. Tolerance should come down to the individual, not any group the masses want to lump them into.

Vera
12-11-2004, 04:49 AM
Female circumsicion (ahh, spelling) is one thing in a culture I can't be tolerant of.

MirandaV
12-11-2004, 06:05 AM
I hate it when the woman has to adore the man, and is in a lower position.

It's not like I can't stand those people, they didnt make a choose to grow up there.

the_GoDdEsS
12-11-2004, 07:55 AM
I hate it when the woman has to adore the man, and is in a lower position.

It's not like I can't stand those people, they didnt make a choose to grow up there.

I don't mind it much as long as the people who are in a lower position are used to that kind of life and actually want to live according to it. It's their choice.

BUT

When someone from a country where they discriminate let's say women comes to my country and looks down on me or offends me in any way, I don't aprove of that at all.

I can accept most cultures (even though I might not like them) as long as they don't affect me personally in a negative way. And unless it's something utterly wrong such as the circumcision Vera mentioned.

Nina
12-11-2004, 10:04 AM
i believe that most traditions have/used to have a
reason, and were actually of use.

my problem is that i often dont understand or know
the use of certain traditions. i dont want to judge
until somebody/a book explains to me what is
actually behind it... because i fear that if i judge
without knowing a thing about a certain tradition of
an unknown culture, i will be "unfair", and possibly
closed minded.

but i cant help prejudices sometimes...
and then i judge without knowing the reason.

i do not tolerate how some native african bush-people
have wooden sticks "pierced" through their mouths/faces.
i dont see how that is helpful to anybody. i dont see
how that can possibly be of use for a little four year
old girl. and when i imagine the pain she (or he) must
have gone through during the procedure, i just wish
they'd fucking leave it already.

...thats the only example i can think of right now.

greencows12
12-11-2004, 10:18 PM
Not all middle easterns are muslims. I'm a catholic who doesn't go to church. Has everyone forgotten the babylonians?:confused:

Vera
12-12-2004, 03:53 AM
And when did the Babylonians exist again? Before the Ancient Greece? Around those days?

Yeah.

I don't really understand the tribe that stretches the women's necks with those huge metallic rings.

wheelchairman
12-12-2004, 03:58 AM
Why is male circumcision acceptable but not female? Both of it is mutilation of the genitalia. The difference is that it's inside the female. Although granted, even I consider it more awful, when it comes to female circumcision. But why is male circumcision acceptable?

Sexy Panda
12-12-2004, 04:24 AM
And when did the Babylonians exist again? Before the Ancient Greece? Around those days?

Yeah.

I don't really understand the tribe that stretches the women's necks with those huge metallic rings.

I believe that is Thailand. I imagine they feel it makes chicks sexy. There you go now you understand.

Vera
12-12-2004, 05:53 AM
Why is male circumcision acceptable but not female? Both of it is mutilation of the genitalia. The difference is that it's inside the female. Although granted, even I consider it more awful, when it comes to female circumcision. But why is male circumcision acceptable?

Hygiene reasons? I don't know too much on the topic but the fact is that female circumcision is a form of oppression as it takes away the sexual pleasure women could have during sex and reduces them into baby making machines. It's just based around the whole idea of "I own my wife and if she enjoys sex she might cheat on me".

As far as I know, men who're circumcised are still capable of enjoying sex, some even say that it increases the sensitivity of their genitalia and therefore makes sex all the more enjoyable. So it doesn't reduce their sexual pleasure down to zero just so they'd stay home instead of fucking everything in skirt.

wheelchairman
12-12-2004, 06:50 AM
Men who are circumcised can't masturbate without lubricant. (Perhaps this has to do with Onan and the wasting of his seed, I don't know.) The fact of the matter is, it's an irrelevant practice that does nothing. Except make it impossible to masturbate or have sex without a form of lubricant.

There are probably other things, I just really never cared.

Vera
12-12-2004, 09:05 AM
Oh noes!

Seriously, that's a far cry for not being able to feel a damn thing. Ever. I mean, sure the "no masturbation without lube"-thing is a bitch, but I'd rather protest against the circumcision of small girls in Africa, especially as there are places in the world where this is done in a quite brutal, unhygienic way.

midnightfire582
12-12-2004, 09:27 AM
I'm very tolerant of other cultures, but not of extremists or oppresion.

sKratch
12-12-2004, 09:45 AM
I believe that is Thailand. I imagine they feel it makes chicks sexy. There you go now you understand.
Thailand? Are you retarded? Thailand is in South East Asia. Women with stretched necks are in Africa.

sKratch
12-12-2004, 09:48 AM
And WCM you missed that male circumcision desensitizes the penis, because the glans is constantly exposed.

Vera
12-12-2004, 09:50 AM
I believe the women were Asian, Skratch.

sKratch
12-12-2004, 12:15 PM
Never question Bruce Dickinson.

acgc2002
12-12-2004, 12:42 PM

Yeah.

I read it in an airplane magazine. It means how the woman is respectful or old in the tribe. The more amount of rings, the more respectful to the tribe. This fuck the cervical bone severely. But it is something in that sense, more respect, more knowledge, more power...etc.

The Cheshire Cat
12-12-2004, 01:15 PM
The only thing I can't stand is when a country is run by a strict Islamic code.

Actually I can't stand it when law is based solely on ANY religious code, but fundamentalist Islam regimes seem to be really popular at the moment.

wheelchairman
12-12-2004, 01:16 PM
The only thing I can't stand is when a country is run by a strict Islamic code.

Actually I can't stand it when law is based solely on ANY religious code, but fundamentalist Islam regimes seem to be really popular at the moment.
That's not culture, moron.

The Cheshire Cat
12-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Islam isn't a culture? Could have fooled me.

wheelchairman
12-12-2004, 01:47 PM
I imagine that it's not too difficult to make a fool out of you.

We are not discussing Islam. We are discussing a tenet of Islam called Shari'a. And what you are referring to is the militant interpretations of Shari'a into law that we see now in Iran and Saudi Arabia.

It was your folly to believe that these laws are cultural. For in Iran, the country had basically a very western attitude towards everything during the reign Pahlavi Shah. And before the Shah was illegally set into power Mossadegh also was not doing things the strict Shari'a way. In fact there are thousands of years of Persian history of not being an Islamic dictatorship like it is now.

As for Saudi Arabia, Wahhabism has only existed for 2 centuries thanks to the ambition of the Royal House of Saud. Arab culture has existed for millennia, when a brutal noble house takes power and uses religion for the cementing of it's power....well that's about as cultural as the way Bush uses "Born Again Christian fundamentalism"

Educate yourself better next time.

wheelchairman
12-12-2004, 01:48 PM
oh and finally, No Islam is not a culture. What a stupid thing to say. Would you say Christianity is a culture? Would you then deny the existence of German Culture? or Italian Culture?

The Cheshire Cat
12-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Christianity is a blanket term that covers all the various sects of christianity. And you just because you can be both Christian and German doesn't mean Christianity isn't a culture. Would you deny Jewish culture?

Culture is just a shared set of beliefs or values. I have no idea what definition you're using.

Betty
12-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Men who are circumcised can't masturbate without lubricant. (Perhaps this has to do with Onan and the wasting of his seed, I don't know.) The fact of the matter is, it's an irrelevant practice that does nothing. Except make it impossible to masturbate or have sex without a form of lubricant.

There are probably other things, I just really never cared.

Umm... I'm not a guy... but the guys I have known that are circumsized are WAY LESS sensitive than those who weren't. Don't need lubricant... and can be a lot rougher. And the loss of sensitivity I do not believe affected the sexual pleasure.

Panzerfaust92
12-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Umm... I'm not a guy... but the guys I have known that are circumsized are WAY LESS sensitive than those who weren't.

Don't tell me that. I don't want to know what I'm missing out on.

wheelchairman
12-12-2004, 02:25 PM
Culture is just a shared set of beliefs or values. I have no idea what definition you're using.
Don't be foolish, Jewish culture describes that of the people of Judea. Christians are however, not from a certain geographical centerpoint. Therefore it is impossible to have a Christian Culture. They may have traditions, but many of these comes from the nations that they are practiced in. In fact nations have their own cultures, which religion merely is just a part of.

The Cheshire Cat
12-12-2004, 02:36 PM
Yes, but cultures overlap. You can't say catholicism is part of Italian culture because not all Italians are Catholics, and you can't say Italian culture is part of Catholicism because not all catholics are Italian.

sKratch
12-12-2004, 02:38 PM
Culture has 8358335 different definitions, depending on how you're looking at things. Anthropologically speaking, every individual technically has his or her own culture, which is a particular set of regularities (both formal and functional) and the ideologies related to these regularities.

wheelchairman
12-12-2004, 03:40 PM
Yes, but cultures overlap. You can't say catholicism is part of Italian culture because not all Italians are Catholics, and you can't say Italian culture is part of Catholicism because not all catholics are Italian.
[Ignoring Skratch]
Sure I can. It has to do with historical and geographical tendencies. Otherwise like Skratch says, we can go way down to the stupid and the petitesse.
[/Ignoring Skratch]

Skratch is write in a way. But I was going for the broad definition of a general group of people, since that's the most common view of culture.

Personally as a nihilist and a marxist, see culture to be created for the advantage of the ruling class. (Example in point, when Emperor Constantine institutionalizes Christianity)

nieh
12-12-2004, 03:58 PM
Men who are circumcised can't masturbate without lubricant.

that's not true...if that were true I would've spent millions of dollars on lube by now.

And WCM you missed that male circumcision desensitizes the penis, because the glans is constantly exposed.

that's not necesarilly true. Clit-piercing makes girls more sensative despite the fact that it makes it so the clit is constantly being touched. Even if it does make them less sensitive, it's only slightly. Plus being slightly less sensitive might actually be better in the long run because it makes you last longer in bed. Just a thought.

Betty
12-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Circumcision is such a good topic.

I will disagree on the lasting longer point... or at least it's not necessarily true.

Also, I think circumsized penises are pretty.

wheelchairman
12-12-2004, 04:13 PM
Good for you! The word pretty should be used more often in connection with the word penis. Even mutilated ones. (sorry Nieh.)

Betty
12-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Hahaha...

Maybe I should have said prettier. Genitalia is pretty damn ugly.

nieh
12-12-2004, 04:21 PM
Good for you! The word pretty should be used more often in connection with the word penis. Even mutilated ones. (sorry Nieh.)

=0(

I can't really argue the lasting longer thing that well, as I was just a baby when I was circumcized and therefore don't really have any sexual experiences to compare it to (at least none I can remember...). Just that in a general sense, I would imagine that if you're less sensitive, then you'll probably take a little longer to finish. There'll definitely be people that still take like 30 seconds, but that's their own stupid fault, it shouldn't have anything to do with whether or not they were circumcized.

Betty
12-12-2004, 04:24 PM
No, no, I think that it's probably true overall... but those horny 17 year old boys... well they're just a lost cause.

wheelchairman
12-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Pre-mature ejaculation happens at all ages I think. Although I don't understand how they can't figure out how to slow it down. It just takes barely the slightest of concentration. It should be considered a form of ADD and they should all be given ritalin.

SicN Twisted
12-12-2004, 11:29 PM
Male circumsision (sp?) is accepted because it's practiced within the white middle class, DUH!

And it was recently discovered that circumsision is absolutely pointless, provided males clean the area in the question. All it does is give pedophilic rabis hardons, and destroy a gland which has sexual stimulation nerves (although not quite as strong as the clitoris, it's comparable).

I'm tollerent of most cultures, but I don't really like American culture (or, lack thereof), and the way it's forcefully being spread worldwide. But I guess that's because I generally don't like capitalism, which is the cause of consumerism.

SicN Twisted
12-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Circumsized people don't need lube to masterbate. Most of my friends are circumsized, and although I don't have first hand knowledge, they can all jack off perfectly find.

Although I can tell you, if you have foreskin, you enjoy head alot more. We get that tingly thing... I'll stop going into detail.

Vera
12-13-2004, 01:32 AM
Er, guys?

Eww!

T-6005
12-13-2004, 01:44 AM
as long as your nickname isn't "minute man", what does it matter?

wheelchairman
12-13-2004, 04:57 AM
Male circumsision (sp?) is accepted because it's practiced within the white middle class, DUH!

And it was recently discovered that circumsision is absolutely pointless, provided males clean the area in the question. All it does is give pedophilic rabis hardons, and destroy a gland which has sexual stimulation nerves (although not quite as strong as the clitoris, it's comparable).

I'm tollerent of most cultures, but I don't really like American culture (or, lack thereof), and the way it's forcefully being spread worldwide. But I guess that's because I generally don't like capitalism, which is the cause of consumerism.
There is more to American culture than consumerism. You just got to scratch the surface (that was not a reference to circumcision), songs about liberation and freedom, the tale of Joe Hill (a man who helped organize the working class in America, although his dream has basically collapsed), cajun food and life. You'll find American culture everywhere, you just got to leave the white middle class homes and find the lower middle class (this is how poor people describe themselves,) and their homes.

SicN Twisted
12-13-2004, 08:57 AM
The song about liberation and freedom are the direct influence of British culture. America's contribution to the world is mass consumerism, fast food, the automobile craze (although Germany and Japan contributed), and the cowboy, ugly American protect your own family yourself notion.

sKratch
12-13-2004, 02:48 PM
[Ignoring Skratch]
Personally as a nihilist and a marxist, see culture to be created for the advantage of the ruling class. (Example in point, when Emperor Constantine institutionalizes Christianity)
Mmm my anthropology professor would have a fit if he saw you saying culture is "created". It's more of an inherent thing, or rather, something that inevitably develops individually.

Mota Boy
12-13-2004, 04:38 PM
I'm tolerant of every culture to the extent that that culture's practices are carried out with the consent of all involved. For instance, many Muslims women willingly choose to wear a hijab, even though many in the West view it as a means of suppressing them. However, I doubt that women in certain African tribes volunteer for female circumcision, nor do the untouchable caste in old Indian society willingly submit themselves to the deprivations of the lifestyle into which they're born.

wheelchairman
12-13-2004, 04:56 PM
I'm tolerant of every culture to the extent that that culture's practices are carried out with the consent of all involved. For instance, many Muslims women willingly choose to wear a hijab, even though many in the West view it as a means of suppressing them. However, I doubt that women in certain African tribes volunteer for female circumcision, nor do the untouchable caste in old Indian society willingly submit themselves to the deprivations of the lifestyle into which they're born.
Wearing the hijab doesn't mean they volunteer for it. Cultural and social conditions are in play during this. Personally I think Atatürk made huge progress when he banned it.

Mota Boy
12-13-2004, 06:56 PM
Wearing the hijab doesn't mean they volunteer for it.

That's not what I said. I said that, for many women, it's voluntary. I would not enforce it, but I would not ban it either. Both actions would violate rights. I don't believe in enforcing cultural norms beyond the freedom to choose those norms.

Noodles
12-13-2004, 11:22 PM
I hate the self-entitled, narcissistic rich people who drive BMWs or Mercedes, with Jesus-fish stickers on them, that drive around Newport Beach, Laguna, Irvine, Tustin, and other "wealthier" parts of OC, and think that they can just cut me off because they are "forgiven," or some such other mythological/socio-economic nonsense, and just basically act like fucking twats. Fuck them!

Other than that, I like to celebrate our differences. La Chaim!

lousyskater
12-14-2004, 01:07 AM
i'm pretty tolerant of other cultures, except when they try to force their beliefs and ways of life onto me. of course, nothing like that ever happens to me except when religious nutjobs come up to me asking whether i've accepted jesus into my life as my lord and savior or not and if not, i'm going to burn in hell. christians seem to be the only ones who force their beliefs on me though.

RonWelty
12-14-2004, 04:32 AM
I hate the self-entitled, narcissistic rich people who drive BMWs or Mercedes, with Jesus-fish stickers on them, that drive around Newport Beach, Laguna, Irvine, Tustin, and other "wealthier" parts of OC, and think that they can just cut me off because they are "forgiven," or some such other mythological/socio-economic nonsense, and just basically act like fucking twats. Fuck them!

WOW ...I LOVE BMW but i don ´t live in OC and i don ´t like to show that so much ..i hope u don ´t hate me :P

wheelchairman
12-14-2004, 05:54 AM
That's not what I said. I said that, for many women, it's voluntary. I would not enforce it, but I would not ban it either. Both actions would violate rights. I don't believe in enforcing cultural norms beyond the freedom to choose those norms.
Right, cause it isn't just brainwashing and oppression. They may choose the hijab, but it is no different than when women argued against women's suffrage.

original_psycho
12-14-2004, 06:58 AM

I just would like to say that I agree with you.
Even if I don't live in the US, I have to say that I recognise that kind of shitty attitude from the rich, 'kiss my ass if you want to make something out of your life' people in my country.
No wonder kids in my country (maybe in others, I don't know) that grow up looking after these kinds of attitudes, become just like them...
What a sad, sad world...

The Talking Pie
12-14-2004, 07:02 AM
I don't believe in enforcing cultural norms beyond the freedom to choose those norms.

Thus destroying the concept of culture. Choice can't enter into it. I don't like the idea of 'culture' though, so go you.

felix_leiter
12-14-2004, 09:20 AM
Face it "culture" is just a marketing scheme. The only people who care about it are the ones getting something out of it or people who arent but wish they were.

"Culture" is a load of bollocks. In reality there are just people living life and intermingling their ideas. There's no room for holding on to the past in a modern society that wants to be free of constraint.

Vera
12-14-2004, 11:46 AM
That really depends on how you define a culture. I mean, our culture can quite focused on consumerism nowadays but how the hell is a marketing scheme?

felix_leiter
12-14-2004, 01:17 PM
The people who push most for retention of culture are generally the ones who gain (often in monetry terms) the most from it

the original pyro
12-14-2004, 09:38 PM
I'm tolerant enough to never be called intolerant.

But thats not whats important. Being ignorant, not intolerant, is far worse. You can hate a race for ignorant reasons and still be tolerant of their people.

SicN Twisted
12-14-2004, 10:23 PM
"I tolerate you!"

Acceptance and understanding is too much to ask for, but neooliberals like to campaign to force people to ignore the xenophobia and racism and "tolerate" other cultures. Comments?

Betty
12-14-2004, 11:59 PM
Absolutely ridiculous?

Not sure what else I'm supposed to add to that.

Izie
12-15-2004, 12:01 AM
We (in Serbia) had that sort of a campaign a few years back. All it did was make the people who don't mind other cultures mock it, and the rasist idiots stay racist idiots.

So yeah, sort of pointless.

Nina
12-15-2004, 06:34 AM
Acceptance and understanding is too much to ask for, but neooliberals like to campaign to force people to ignore the xenophobia and racism and "tolerate" other cultures. Comments?

i dont understand you.
what exactly is wrong with *trying* to tolerate others,
in order to maybe become a better person? of course,
that is just my own definition of a "better" person, and its
each to their own, but i dont get how the fact that
human beings have a hard time to understand and accept
other people -especially from other cultures which you
dont understand- has to automatically mean that you
should not try in the first place.
its not impossible. but indeed difficult.
blah. i dont know if i made sense. it sounded good in my
head.

the original pyro
12-15-2004, 07:10 AM
We (in Serbia) had that sort of a campaign a few years back. All it did was make the people who don't mind other cultures mock it, and the rasist idiots stay racist idiots.

So yeah, sort of pointless.

thats because serbs are generally pessimistic and are mostly a racist population. Its tradition.

RobinoZombie
12-15-2004, 07:16 AM
I think im a very tolerable person, you should never judge som other culture befor you know why, they do the specific things they do.
And think of it, if someone came to your country as a foreign, dont you think that he might be offended by something you do? or think that someting you do is very strange?
i sure as hell know that if someone who never had been to sweden and never heard of our traditions would probably get rather amused & confused!

HornyPope
12-15-2004, 07:53 AM
Yeah all these acceptance and tolerance campaigns are gay because they are usually initiated by loving middled aged white women with a support of a major anti-racism league or a trying-to-make-a-good-publicity-stunt company with big pockets so they hire a big name spokesman and whatnot to talk to modern teenagers and explain them how we are all equal after all and should try and accept one another. What a load of horse shit. What the fuck do they know about acceptance? It doesn't work like that. You ain't gonna see an Asian kid suddenly have this urge to invite a Hispanic boy to hang out in his gang.

See, it's all circumstantial. I hang out with my own people because this is what i've been doing for years. It was just easier to bond at one time and now we've established our own clique so what the fuck am I gonna do and look elsewhere? If I have an interesting oppertunity to mingle elsehwere--because of a girl I like, or because of a sudden interest I just developped, or because of an economic oppertunity--I will gladly go and mingle among other racial cultures, and i'm sure most would gladly do the same, even the 'racists' among us. But it's not like I will try and develop a multi-cultural friendship circle because I care for all races and cultures to be friends.

It all comes down to circumstances.

Izie
12-15-2004, 07:54 AM
thats because serbs are generally pessimistic and are mostly a racist population. Its tradition.

And that's the oppinion that makes them stay that way.

No offence, because that is also the oppinion of most serbs, but that doesn't mean it's not wrong. "It's tradition, it's in our blood, we have to be that way". Such a load of crap.

On the thought of the whole campaign thing, I don't really know anymore. Of course it didn't work with us, because they just bombed us with meaningless advertising campaigns, but if they had actually made some more educated tries to explain what tolerance is and how and WHY we should achieve it... Maybe it would have been better.

Just ignoring the racism and xenophobia and pretending to be nice and tolerant doesn't work. Something deeper has to be changed.

Most people are discriminatory because they don't understand other cultures. Maybe if they understood them better, they wouldn't be so bad. But that's something that has to be learned during a longer period of time than 3 months of a stupid campaign.

Agreed with Nina, people should try. And yes, it usualy is difficult, but they should try anyway. But first they need to want to try...

the original pyro
12-15-2004, 10:20 AM
A lot of serbs resent others not out of "not understanding", but out of experience. Albanians, Croats, Slovens, Bosnians, and NATO in some way or another fucked us over in the last fifteen years. Speak serbien in Croatia and they wont talk to you. You need to use their dialect. They are 'intolerant' of one another, and theres nothing to understand or be taught of the culture, they're all Yugoslavian. You dont forget the wars and cleansing done by both sides. The resentment will only fade with the changing of generations.

Lithuanian Offspring
12-15-2004, 11:22 AM
As tolerant as could be... however, I hate the current notion of 'culture'. It's just another method of dividing people into groups to label yourself a victim or label someone else an aggressor.

If someone's nice they're nice, if they're a useless cuntrag they're a useless cuntrag. Tolerance should come down to the individual, not any group the masses want to lump them into.
I agree 100%!

Lullaby
12-15-2004, 11:38 AM
As you probably know Im from iran so i have no problems with other cultures cause I grown up with both cultures (german...cause of my school,friends etc./persian)

Izie
12-15-2004, 12:33 PM
A lot of serbs resent others not out of "not understanding", but out of experience. Albanians, Croats, Slovens, Bosnians, and NATO in some way or another fucked us over in the last fifteen years. Speak serbien in Croatia and they wont talk to you. You need to use their dialect. They are 'intolerant' of one another, and theres nothing to understand or be taught of the culture, they're all Yugoslavian. You dont forget the wars and cleansing done by both sides. The resentment will only fade with the changing of generations.

Actually, the whole concept of Yugoslavia is fake. Made by politicians (the king actually at that time) to unify nations that were under other opressors. Then they became each others opressor. Yugoslavian was never real, there were ALWAYS republics and differences. One culture? Uh-huh, sure.

And give it a rest, it's not like the serbs are the only ones who got fucked over. All of the nations there got fucked over throughout history, constantly. And then whatever it was that the politicians did to one nation, was pointed out as the benefit of another. And that's where the conflicts aroused. So techncally, we were taught to hate each other instead of stick together, due to the incapability of our leaders.

Oh, btw, I have Croatian friends. They don't seem to mind me talking serbian any more than I mind them speaking Croatian (which is not at all). Actually, in my highschool there were Croatians, Bosnians, Serbs... And we all got along pretty well. Sure, there were a few idiots who behaved as idiots, but there are idiots everywhere in the world.

StayInTheHouseCarl
12-15-2004, 10:06 PM

Amen. or when i walk out of bionic to my sticker covered toyota crapmobile, and the business lunch eating a holes at daltons act like im some sort of bane to society . let me bane in peace!

neocon58
12-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Anything but jews and gooks and abos.

gee, walk through my neighbourhood and say that out loud.

Sexy Panda
12-16-2004, 12:44 AM
Thailand? Are you retarded? Thailand is in South East Asia. Women with stretched necks are in Africa.

I'll just assume that you thought you were talking to another american and that is why you considered me to be ignorant of where Thailand is.

Tribes of Thailand and Burma (that's a country next to Thailand Skratch, just to let you know) have been wearing rings around their necks for centuries. The practise has decreased except in a few tribes (mainly the Paduang) where it is used as a money maker from tourists. Numerous hospitals are set up to specially deal with the removal of the rings (if they are removed without the proper rehibilitation the neck isn't strong enough to support the head and the windpipe is crushed.

Here's a picture for your enjoyment.
http://www.newint.org/issue264/Images/rings.jpg

You made me waste five minutes improving my hazy australian knowledge with details of tribe names. I could have used that five minutes doing something constructive like jerking off. I am quite mad at you.

sKratch
12-16-2004, 04:30 PM
Yeah I actually had a feeling in the back of my head that I was wrong because I remembered seeing pictures where the women looked quite asian. I'm just too arrogant to rescind my statements.

SicN Twisted
12-16-2004, 05:48 PM
Loooooooooooooove, African style!

Sexy Panda
12-16-2004, 10:42 PM
Yeah I actually had a feeling in the back of my head that I was wrong because I remembered seeing pictures where the women looked quite asian. I'm just too arrogant to rescind my statements.

As long as you know.

Paint_It_Black
12-19-2004, 05:06 AM
I support any culture that does not hurt anyone. I tolerate any culture that does not hurt those outside of itself, as long as those people choose to live that way. What I mean by this is a culture that might be bad from our perspective but is more appealing to its members than living like us. I don't agree with bringing 'freedom' to any people who don't desire it.

the original pyro
12-20-2004, 11:13 PM
Actually, the whole concept of Yugoslavia is fake. Made by politicians (the king actually at that time) to unify nations that were under other opressors. Then they became each others opressor. Yugoslavian was never real, there were ALWAYS republics and differences. One culture? Uh-huh, sure.

And give it a rest, it's not like the serbs are the only ones who got fucked over. All of the nations there got fucked over throughout history, constantly. And then whatever it was that the politicians did to one nation, was pointed out as the benefit of another. And that's where the conflicts aroused. So techncally, we were taught to hate each other instead of stick together, due to the incapability of our leaders.

Oh, btw, I have Croatian friends. They don't seem to mind me talking serbian any more than I mind them speaking Croatian (which is not at all). Actually, in my highschool there were Croatians, Bosnians, Serbs... And we all got along pretty well. Sure, there were a few idiots who behaved as idiots, but there are idiots everywhere in the world.

I can sit here and argue how ignorant serbia really is or isnt, but I wont.

There was a time, apparently, that every serb from the 60's I met will tell you about when Yugoslavia actually functioned as a federation of 6 republics with slightly different but cooperative peoples whether catholic, orthodox christian, or muslim. But tito dies, economy callapses, ect. you know the story.

Besides, its not the bosnians nor the croats that I watch out for. Those damn albanians will stab you if your not careful.

Izie
12-21-2004, 12:45 AM
I can sit here and argue how ignorant serbia really is or isnt, but I wont.

There was a time, apparently, that every serb from the 60's I met will tell you about when Yugoslavia actually functioned as a federation of 6 republics with slightly different but cooperative peoples whether catholic, orthodox christian, or muslim. But tito dies, economy callapses, ect. you know the story.

Besides, its not the bosnians nor the croats that I watch out for. Those damn albanians will stab you if your not careful.

I never said they weren't ignorant. Most of them are, but, like it was said millions of times before, you can't judge a whole nation by a specified group of people. Well, you can, but it makes you a generalizing dick. And you do belong to the serbian nation, technically, so the generallization applies to you too.

And the story of Yugoslavia has something to do with...? The concept of "Yugoslavian" culture is still fake. They lived in a sort of a federation (which wasn't really a federation, but let's leave that alone now), but there was never any mention of common culture. Which makes a lot of sense really. And this IS a topic about cultures. Not about the break-up of Yugoslavia, or its functioning as a quasi-federation.

And yes, all Albanians are evil, let's hate all of them, even those we've never met, let's even the ones who share our religion, let's hate them because, technically, our politicians fucked them over, and now we're paying it off. That's such a good reason to hate them, because, damn, it's all their fault anyway! Then again, you most likely don't know how they got fucked over. Since you never get to hear those things, no no, good grief, we're nice and kind and polite, we never did anything wrong to them! We're the ones always getting fucked! God forbid anything else!

wheelchairman
12-21-2004, 03:34 AM

Ah now Albanians, first Gypsies now Albanians. You are the culmination of every ignorant Eastern European I've ever talked to.

the original pyro
12-21-2004, 08:58 AM
I never said I hated any particular group of people. There are some people that hate groups I was born into and therefor I am cautious. I have no problem with gypsies, but I'm cautious at night time not to go near them. Is that wrong? That just becuase some of them rob people I should be suspicious? And I'm not really a "generalizing dick". Some of my posts were sarcastic.

It is probably true that if 100 random albanians moved into my neighborhood, of all ages, equal male and female, varying intelligences and from different regions that only a small minority would resent my heritage if any at all. I apologize if I appear in any way prejidice, but yes, I am in a very small way fearful and angry with the small albanian population that I have encountered. That is from past experience. They nearly lynched me over my ethnicity, and I feel intimidated because of their actions and not their ethnicity.

wheelchairman
12-21-2004, 09:47 AM
It's just, your attitudes towards gypsies and albanians are typical of just about most Eastern Europeans I've met online (granted, Eastern European communists generally tend to be rather conservative in their views.) Although that is not all of them, I know a Slovenian who is one of the more educated and articulate comrades, and a Bulgarian who I've discussed the gypsie and albanien issue who has recently changed viewpoints. Even a Russian who was in favor of the nazbols, eventually turned that view around.

My point is, yes it's a stereotype in your "ethnicity" that gypsies steal everything (I can find stories where gypsies do good deeds too, they are human beings.) And Albanians is a more complicated issue, but both Albanians and Serbs kinda got screwed after the fall of Tito (in a way, he certainly failed in industrializing certain parts of Yugoslavia, which makes it a pity since that is why Croatia and Slovenia have become so sectarian). But making generalizations is always stupid, especially about Gypsies and Albanians, because it's what you were raised with. And that is no excuse, we all have to surpass our surroundings.

Izie
12-21-2004, 10:20 AM
I never said I hated any particular group of people.

Naaah, you just dislike them and are careful of them, because they are most likely extremely bad because of the country they were born in! If you really have had albanians treat you badly, then you should definitely know better than to treat others that way, and not do the same things the "bad people" did to you.

If you generalize people, you're a generalizing dick. Maybe you don't do it all the time, but you DID do it in the previous post. I based my post on that, and that's all. Oh and:

They nearly lynched me over my ethnicity, and I feel intimidated because of their actions and not their ethnicity.

And you say that all Albanians scare you, based on the actions of some. If that isn't a generalization, I don't know what is.

It's just, your attitudes towards gypsies and albanians are typical of just about most Eastern Europeans I've met online (granted, Eastern European communists generally tend to be rather conservative in their views.) Although that is not all of them, I know a Slovenian who is one of the more educated and articulate comrades, and a Bulgarian who I've discussed the gypsie and albanien issue who has recently changed viewpoints. Even a Russian who was in favor of the nazbols, eventually turned that view around.

I'll give my two cents about this, but I'll limit myself to Serbs. Most of the educated Serbs ran away from Serbia, fit in nicely into wherever they ran to, and have no further problems with other people. The general majority you do meet online are the rather ignorant/uneducated people who have recently discovered internet, and came to blame everything on everyone else. It's one of the thing we're extremely good at. Or at least that's my experience. And why we do that, I have no clue. I could say it's because of the unusal amount of frustration within the people, who really don't know what to think anymore, as they've been raised with certain ideas, and now they're being taught those ideas are completely wrong. Complex issue, this Eastern European bussiness.

Second part of yur post I won't quote, I'll just say I generally agree.

wheelchairman
12-21-2004, 10:33 AM
It's odd though, I knew Pyro 4 years ago, back when he was 11. He never mentioned being a Serb, in fact he didn't really mention much of ethnicity now. Odd how these things can affect a person's thinking as one grows up.

Izie
12-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Don't even start me on that. For instance, my sister's friends, they were around 13 at the time, seemed to think it was really cool to be racist and nationalist, and you couldn't talk them out of it. On the other hand, my generation (18 at the time) was actually quite tolerant of others. In fact, most of the people in my class were, and still are, quite tolerant. And I have aboslutely no way of explaining that.

And my previous post is in serious need of some reconstruction but I'm too lazy.

wheelchairman
12-21-2004, 10:48 AM
Well I sympathise, there has never been a pretty side to nationalism, or racism. Even when it's in the toned down accepted version we see as cultural prejudice (that of Gypsies and Albanians.)

I know this "communist" on another board, he takes great pride in being Prussian (he lives in Washington, he's very anti-american though, at one point he was a muslim, then he was a communist, then he was a nazi, then he was a social democrat, now he's decided to be a communist again). He's a complete fool, and he's absolutely obsessed with his blood. Like it was something he could choose to have.

If people choose to be proud of their blood, then almost always, they have to choose to believe that it's a superior blood.

Izie
12-21-2004, 10:53 AM
Heh, nice person, this Prussian dude. Very flexible, you have to admit ;)

I think I'll open a nationalism topic.

the original pyro
12-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Naaah, you just dislike them and are careful of them, because they are most likely extremely bad because of the country they were born in! If you really have had albanians treat you badly, then you should definitely know better than to treat others that way, and not do the same things the "bad people" did to you.

If you generalize people, you're a generalizing dick. Maybe you don't do it all the time, but you DID do it in the previous post. I based my post on that, and that's all. Oh and:

And you say that all Albanians scare you, based on the actions of some. If that isn't a generalization, I don't know what is.

I'll give my two cents about this, but I'll limit myself to Serbs. Most of the educated Serbs ran away from Serbia, fit in nicely into wherever they ran to, and have no further problems with other people. The general majority you do meet online are the rather ignorant/uneducated people who have recently discovered internet, and came to blame everything on everyone else. It's one of the thing we're extremely good at. Or at least that's my experience. And why we do that, I have no clue. I could say it's because of the unusal amount of frustration within the people, who really don't know what to think anymore, as they've been raised with certain ideas, and now they're being taught those ideas are completely wrong. Complex issue, this Eastern European bussiness.

Second part of yur post I won't quote, I'll just say I generally agree.

my skills in seperating quotes aren't as good as yours:

As for your first paragraph, either you completely misunderstood what I wrote or I'm not good at writing. But your response has nothing to do with the selection your quoting.

I dont generalize if I realize I'm doing it. But in the case of gypsies, If it were night, I was in belgrade, and from where I was standing the quickest walk home goes straight through an area filled with them, I will take an alternative route. Why? Gypsies are often poor. Just like when I was in D.C., I had the exact same scenario, either take the 10 minute walk home, straight through a poor neighborhood of black people or the 15-20 minute one that was relatively safe. I didnt do this because they were black or gypsies, but because there is significantly more crime in poor urban areas. I would do the same thing even if they were white.

As far as your third paragraph, what I said was" am in a very small way fearful and angry with the small albanian population that I have encountered. That is from past experience. They nearly lynched me over my ethnicity, and I feel intimidated because of their actions and not their ethnicity."But you left out the part about "the small albanian population I have encountered". (again, either you misunderstood or I poorly expressed myself) but what I meant was that (in this region, I haven't met more than 50 and currently know less than a dozen) the few I know I really dislike. I have no real opinion on all the other millions of them, because I haven't met every one of them.

"It's odd though, I knew Pyro 4 years ago, back when he was 11. He never mentioned being a Serb, in fact he didn't really mention much of ethnicity now. Odd how these things can affect a person's thinking as one grows up."

never is an overstatement. In the past I dont think there was a politics forum to discuss cultural issues, but I havn't been here in over a year so I could be wrong. I'm not absorbed into the thinkings of ignorant serbs, but a couple of albanian kids were raised to be absorbed into what their ignorant parents thought, and that can lead to violence simply because of where my mother was born. I didn't say all albanians hate serbs and therfor I hate all of them, so stop implying that I'm a biggot.

Izie
12-22-2004, 01:40 AM
But your response has nothing to do with the selection your quoting.

Fisrt you said you don't generalize, I quoted that. I said you do, and gave a quote to support that. I don't see many pronlems in that.

The problem is that you do generalize, and "not realizing it" really isn't an explanation. Now you give specific cases, before you gave generalizations, and you can't deny that. Like I said, I only know what you post, and what you posted were generalizations. "Small albanian population" in this post, "albanians" in general in one of the previous. When you try to explan your reasons you drop the generalizing (somewhat), but originally you didn't. And that's all.

If you dislike being seen that way, and if you're not that way, then t's quite simple: don't make mistakes that imply you are.

UgLy_eLf
12-22-2004, 09:32 PM

Uhm, I'd like to think that cutting the clitoris out of your vagina is the equivalent of cutting your entire dick off, it has 10x more nerve endings if not more, it's VERY different from a male circumcision. You've got plenty of lube guys, spit on your fuckin hand works fine.

greencows12
12-29-2004, 04:09 PM

Yeah.

I don't really understand the tribe that stretches the women's necks with those huge metallic rings.we still exsist, assyrians and babylonians live in detroit, california, toronto, chicago, and i live in colorado. Those are the places they mostly live.