PDA

View Full Version : me and my old lady

.:SMASH:.
03-27-2006, 02:10 AM
i used to think this song was a huge turn off, completely un called for and the only bad song on ixnay untill yesterday. i was mowing the grass while listening to ixnay, and i was thinking about how great ixnay on the hombre was with the theme of: i'll do what i want and i'll do what i feel like (which reminds me, it's kinda like smash leads into ixnay....+ there is also the change the world thing....clever offspring, clever), anyway, i started to listen to me and my old lady with more of an open mind. when i was listening to the lyrics, where the part says: so go on and stare, because we don't care, it clicked. the song really fits into ixnay. those lyrics told me that he's gonna express his love in his most comfortable and pleasing way even in public, where it is illeagal. the song may be vile but (yes, i may have gone insane) the song is meaningful. well that was my offspring education for the weekend. add a comment about this one, or if you want, you can add a new offspring opinion of yours.

Eternal Yamcha
03-27-2006, 03:02 AM
Awhile ago I found a new-found respect for "The Meaning of Life" after reading up on the lyrics... Awesome song, can't wait to make a video to it.

Speaking of the whole "Change The World" prelude at the end of Smash... Anyone else notice that they have a "Pay The Man" prelude at the very end of Smash? That little melody that starts at 9:08 during the song "Smash." Pay The Man's beginning has a small part that sounds like that melody at the end of Smash.

...Took me long enough to figure that out though.

WebDudette
03-27-2006, 03:07 AM
Please don't tell me you thought "Me and My Old Lady" was about him and his mom.

Rutegard
03-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Please don't tell me you thought "Me and My Old Lady" was about him and his mom.

AHAHAH

btw i really really love that song...one of my favs

Hypodermic_89
03-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Me & My Old Lady is an old song from the 80's that the band hadn't quite finished.. I don't really like it, actually.

Rutegard
03-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Me & My Old Lady is an old song from the 80's that the band hadn't quite finished.. I don't really like it, actually.

yeah well...i don't know why people don't like it but i really really do...i love that song :D honestly i do

Demon_of_Debauchery
03-27-2006, 09:51 AM
When I first heard Me And My Old Lady I didn't like it but when I'd listened to it a few more times I decided that it is a really good song.

Corpse
03-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Anyone else notice that they have a "Pay The Man" prelude at the very end of Smash? That little melody that starts at 9:08 during the song "Smash." Pay The Man's beginning has a small part that sounds like that melody at the end of Smash.
Its actually Come Out And Play I think

bd007h
03-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Anyone else notice that they have a "Pay The Man" prelude at the very end of Smash? That little melody that starts at 9:08 during the song "Smash." Pay The Man's beginning has a small part that sounds like that melody at the end of Smash.

That's Come Out and Play, not Pay The Man

03-27-2006, 02:03 PM
lol, i admit it! i used to think that :p

killer_queen
03-27-2006, 02:11 PM
I joined this forum because of this song. And I'm sure there's noone who loves this song as much as me. Lyrics, melody, vocals... All of them are perfect. Don't need to say more.

03-27-2006, 02:15 PM
I joined this forum because of this song. And I'm sure there's noone who loves this song as much as me. Lyrics, melody, vocals... All of them are perfect. Don't need to say more.
haha, i think me and my old lady sounds arabic.

killer_queen
03-27-2006, 02:16 PM
It's called middle eastern sound, you idiot. Arabian music sounds more different.

03-27-2006, 02:18 PM
It's called middle eastern sound, you idiot. Arabian music sounds more different.
:p i'm just having a joke, don't get all cranky on me

Gayman
03-27-2006, 02:18 PM
I have never really grown into this song. It's a good song! Don't get me wrong! But the album is so so so SO awesome!! So maybe it littlebit get's into the feet of the other songs....

offspring_freak_3
03-27-2006, 03:09 PM
lol, i admit it! i used to think that :p
wow, just wow

offspring_freak_3
03-27-2006, 03:10 PM
When I first heard Me And My Old Lady I didn't like it but when I'd listened to it a few more times I decided that it is a really good song.
same here, i always skiped that first time i bought ixnay on the hombre, but them i notice that was a cool song :D

scream
03-27-2006, 04:15 PM
I'll give it another chance but like the others here I generally don't like it either.

endlesst0m
03-27-2006, 06:01 PM

i did when i was younger.

Hux
03-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Me And My Old Lady has a really great sound and tune. The marakas make the song. A sort of different style for The Offspring, a bloody awesome song.

Llamas
03-27-2006, 09:50 PM
I really like me and my old lady.

and that thing at the end of smash is not come out and play OR pay the man. it's soem goofing around, where they took the riff from COAP and meshed it with that middle eastern sound... then they took the sound of that and incorporated it into pay the man.

Desi Fever
03-27-2006, 10:07 PM
Seriously, that song makes me hella horny.

Mr. Noodles
03-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Seriously, that song makes me hella horny.
Are you really serious?

Desi Fever
03-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Most definitely.

Mr. Noodles
03-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Most definitely.
My parody would make that worse.... maybe.
Would you like me to send it (as much as I can remember) to you by private message?

Desi Fever
03-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Sure :) . . . .

Desi Fever
03-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Also, stupid 10 characters!

Mr. Noodles
03-27-2006, 10:18 PM
Sure :) . . . .
If you want to know the rest, just contact I Don't Know.
I sent her the lyrics of the parody before anyone else.

Desi Fever
03-27-2006, 10:22 PM
Hah, your parody has made the song less hornyrific for me. BUT, it was entertaining.

Mr. Noodles
03-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Hah, your parody has made the song less hornyrific for me. BUT, it was entertaining.
But the chorus is about seeing a teenage girl naked and her not caring!
BTW, talking about horny and hornyrific stuff is something my friend does, when he's bored.

Desi Fever
03-27-2006, 10:26 PM
That's odd, are you saying I'm a personality and/or identity thief?

Desi Fever
03-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Am I just a bored Junior who should go to bed.. ? I don't enjoy being a waste of time. I like to think I'm not.

Desi Fever
03-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Wow, that last post of mine sounded incredibly emo, I should be shot.

Drummerguy123
03-27-2006, 10:48 PM
Me and My Old Lady is is terrific song. It is so much different than anything else they have done. Then again, I have this guilty pleasure of dark, sick songs... and this one fits this category quite well.

JohnnyNemesis
03-27-2006, 10:51 PM
Wow, that last post of mine sounded incredibly emo, I should be shot.

You and Mr. Noodles both need to die.

And I can't believe anyone thought this song was about him and his mom...I mean, simply reading the lyrics would prove otherwise in a matter of seconds...

Drummerguy123
03-27-2006, 10:52 PM

And I can't believe anyone thought this song was about him and his mom...I mean, simply reading the lyrics would prove otherwise in a matter of seconds...

More or less what I was thinking. Then again, I do tend to go overboard (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22106) with this album...

Llamas
03-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Me and My Old Lady is is terrific song. It is so much different than anything else they have done. Then again, I have this guilty pleasure of dark, sick songs... and this one fits this category quite well.

it's not dark. it's very light, "me and my girl don't care what you think!" that's not dark... or sick...
and must you continue to always post the link to that one thread? :-/

JohnnyNemesis
03-27-2006, 11:19 PM
It's extremely dark if you look beyond the lyrics and pay attention to the atmosphere created by the instruments.

Llamas
03-27-2006, 11:45 PM
the music is in a minor key, if that's what you mean.

Eternal Yamcha
03-28-2006, 02:11 AM
*Groans and sighs*

I said the VERY beginning of that little meddly at the end of Smash sounds the same as the beginning of Pay The Man. Listen to each song during their respective times that I have listed below.

Song: Minutes:Seconds
Smash: 9:08 - 9:23
Pay The Man: 0:26 - 0:42

I know that the meddly at the end of Smash is Come out and Play in a "Middle Eastern" style of music. But for those 15 seconds of each song, they sound similar, strikingly so.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
03-28-2006, 02:42 AM
the song was originaly gonna be called 'Rons Grandma' :D ..if somebody didn't already post that?

Imagine if they called it 'Rons Grandma' and now he's left the band...that's funny :p

Kitten
03-28-2006, 04:57 AM

One would have to wonder at the relationships they had with their mothers to interpret the song thus.

Drummerguy123
03-28-2006, 06:50 AM
and must you continue to always post the link to that one thread? :-/

HEY! I worked damn hard on that thing! Give me a break! :mad: :(

bouncingcoles
03-28-2006, 08:20 AM
i used to be freaked out from that song for a while. but until recently i grew to really like it!

Llamas
03-28-2006, 01:38 PM
drummerguy, I know you did, but there's a thread about it and most of the people who post here that are interested have read it. it's just getting annoying. Sorry man.

Drummerguy123
03-28-2006, 06:43 PM
drummerguy, I know you did, but there's a thread about it and most of the people who post here that are interested have read it. it's just getting annoying. Sorry man.

*sigh* I know....... *cries* :(