PDA

View Full Version : When Offspring Started Playing Dirty Magic Again...

vision
03-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Posted this on theoffspring.com forums but it caused a bit of controversy!

Back in 1997, I followed Offspring through the east coast of their Australian tour. At the Sydney show they played Dirty Magic.

Oh my god.

I was in heaven. Such a fantastic old song - easily their best, and here I was seeing it live! None of the other chumps around me seemed to know it. Bliss.

Next night I saw them in Melbourne. Instead of Dirty Magic they played Don't Pick It Up.

WTF?

The next day I was dropping a friend at the airport and had the amazing luck of running into both The Living End (the support band) and all of the Offspring at the McDonald's at the airport. I couldn't help myself, I introduced myself to Dexter and Noodles (Greg and Ron were both eating already) and asked them about the change.

...turns out they'd noticed the crowd not digging it. I swore black and blue that it was all my mates all time favourite Offspring song and was definitely concert worthy. I couldn't tell if they believed me, but had my ticket from the night before signed and wished them the best, extremely happy (obviously).

Fast forward several years to the next time I see them...and lo and behold, they play Dirty Magic live. Acoustic. Yeah!! I record it, upload it to the Internet and watch it spread.

I'd like to think I played a small part in its appearance on the Dual Disc ;)

Llamas
03-28-2006, 10:04 PM
the dirty magic that's all around the internet that's live (the really good one) was recorded by you? I'm not sure what you're saying for sure...

vision
03-28-2006, 10:07 PM
Nah the one I uploaded is about 5 years old and not crash hot quality. Has a guy screaming at the start of it.

DeAtHsTaR
03-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Posted this on theoffspring.com forums but it caused a bit of controversy!

Back in 1997, I followed Offspring through the east coast of their Australian tour. At the Sydney show they played Dirty Magic.

Oh my god.

I was in heaven. Such a fantastic old song - easily their best, and here I was seeing it live! None of the other chumps around me seemed to know it. Bliss.

Next night I saw them in Melbourne. Instead of Dirty Magic they played Don't Pick It Up.

WTF?

The next day I was dropping a friend at the airport and had the amazing luck of running into both The Living End (the support band) and all of the Offspring at the McDonald's at the airport. I couldn't help myself, I introduced myself to Dexter and Noodles (Greg and Ron were both eating already) and asked them about the change.

...turns out they'd noticed the crowd not digging it. I swore black and blue that it was all my mates all time favourite Offspring song and was definitely concert worthy. I couldn't tell if they believed me, but had my ticket from the night before signed and wished them the best, extremely happy (obviously).

Fast forward several years to the next time I see them...and lo and behold, they play Dirty Magic live. Acoustic. Yeah!! I record it, upload it to the Internet and watch it spread.

I'd like to think I played a small part in its appearance on the Dual Disc ;)

You uploaded the famous recording where they play parts of Minority by Green Day and Stairway to Heaven?

.:SMASH:.
03-28-2006, 11:49 PM
man, you're so lucky to meet them. that is like an ambition of mine

scream
03-29-2006, 01:07 AM
vision you are the luckiest fan alive. you mustve had the fattest, biggest, most gaping wide smile ever when you met them and quite frankly you just pretty much described nearly every fan's wet dream.

Hux
03-29-2006, 02:02 AM
Sounds like an awesome concert. Nice going meeting Dex and Noodles, damn your lucky.

I don't know about you having a part in Dirty Magic at concerts, but I'm glad they occasionally play it.

vision
03-29-2006, 05:48 AM
You uploaded the famous recording where they play parts of Minority by Green Day and Stairway to Heaven?

Got it in one dude. Is that famous now is it? That's my twin brother screaming at the start.

vision
03-29-2006, 06:14 AM
http://www.4bitterguys.com/tim/k750/offspring.jpg

forcyn
03-29-2006, 06:14 AM
I haven't seen that video... where can I find it?

vision
03-29-2006, 07:05 AM
Wasn't a video dude, was an 8 minute audio recording although some people cut it down later. I can upload it to my server if that's allowed by the forum mods?

Got another confession to make actually - I called out Bryan when I first saw Dexter! I feel sorry for the guy, having fans who hassle him like I did, but dammit, I couldn't help it!

HeadAroundU
03-29-2006, 07:28 AM
http://www.offspring.art.pl/?m=media&category=all
Dirty Magic [wersja akustyczna tego wspaniałego songu] (6467 kB)

offspring_freak_3
03-29-2006, 07:52 AM
wow lucky guy *jealous* :p

Amazed
03-29-2006, 07:57 AM
wow lucky guy *jealous* :p

DAMN YOU! I tried to send a private message but it seems like someone has too many messages stored. Here's a clue for you: it's not me!! :p

forcyn
03-29-2006, 07:58 AM
http://www.offspring.art.pl/?m=media&category=all
Dirty Magic [wersja akustyczna tego wspaniałego songu] (6467 kB)

vision
03-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Haha, yep, that's the MP3. I've still got the original sitting on my hard drive and it looks like (in terms of size anyway) it's still the same (although I haven't finished downloading it so not sure yet). I first uploaded that in July 2001.

You can tell my brother knows what's going on from the previous shows with the way he keeps yelling out "Dirty Magic"... He took the minidisc recorder in *just* for that song :)

offspring_freak_3
03-29-2006, 05:18 PM
there is a video of dirty magic from the same gig

Apathy
03-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Heh, I told you this would do much better here vision.

So yeah. Cool. I think I have your recording on a cd I'm listening to right now.

JohnnyNemesis
03-29-2006, 06:02 PM
Meh, that other thread got derailed/off-topic, and it wasn't even vision's fault!

Apathy - You should try to post here more often, I like reading your thoughts.

mech
03-29-2006, 09:04 PM
Hahaha that's mad. Can't believe my bootleg has made it around so much :)

I also met 'em at the airport and got my ticket signed, managed to lose it though :(

vision
03-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Heh, I told you this would do much better here vision.

So yeah. Cool. I think I have your recording on a cd I'm listening to right now.

Really? Nice. I assume you made the CD and didn't actually buy it I hope...

oh, and yeah...what's with the difference in forums? ...and I thought the ones I normally hang out on were insular!

German Andres
03-30-2006, 07:38 AM
You are the luckiest fan alive!! Going and talk with them... how lucky!!! That is my dream, talk with them. But I had a big surprise last month when I opened my mail: Dexter Holland, the best singer of all times, had wrote to me. I cant still believe it... :D

noodlesisalliwant
03-30-2006, 08:25 AM
Wow You are Really lucky! You got to see them live on more than one occasion, got to meet them and the living end too :D! You lucky Son of a...I envy you :p

offspring_freak_3
03-30-2006, 09:05 AM
You are the luckiest fan alive!! Going and talk with them... how lucky!!! That is my dream, talk with them. But I had a big surprise last month when I opened my mail: Dexter Holland, the best singer of all times, had wrote to me. I cant still believe it... :D
OMG! Really, same with me, but he said to keep it in secret :o

Hux
03-30-2006, 03:47 PM
A few people have met them, he's just one of the luckiest,

Llamas
03-30-2006, 06:59 PM
sounded like he had been saying "session" not "dirty magic"... huh.

vision
03-30-2006, 10:01 PM
Nah, that's the guy next to him. You can very very clearly hear my bro yell out Dirty Magic :)

And yeah I was very lucky to have the timing I did back then... sometimes it amazes me looking back at some of the bands I had the fortune to accidently meet, without having to be a suck up groupie!

(no offense to suck up groupies, of course ;))

vision
03-31-2006, 06:39 AM
Actually I was thinking about it today and it reminded me of the time I met Blink 182 back in early 1996 when they toured Australia on the strength of their Wasting Time EP.

They played in-store at HMV in the Brisbane city mall, in other words a tiny record store in Hicksville, Australia. I was waiting for them to turn up and start playing when I saw them standing around outside eating Hungry Jacks (Burger King - some guy in Australia stole the trademark). What is it with me and bands eating fast food?

Anyway, so I just wandered outside and started chatting with them, had them sign my shirt, and then walked in with them when they went to start their set. So cool. Better than when I saw them in 1995, from which I still have tinnitus in my ear. (not kidding either)

Then they became sell-outs :( Proper sell-outs, unlike the Offspring.

pmurph
04-01-2006, 12:20 AM
ive got one where they played a little of basketcase. dexter still had his dreads.

Llamas
04-01-2006, 12:24 AM
I liked pre-enema blink 182. They were never awesome, but as long as they admitted that they were a shitty pop punk band, I appreciated them. I thought it was fun to listen to legitimately bad and raw punk... they had a nice sound. Then they wanted to sound "good" (which they couldn't accomplish) and wanted people to take them seriously... that's when they started sucking :-/

too bad when you met them you didn't say "hey guys! your fans love your raw sound! don't ever sell out or try to be taken seriously!" haha :P

vision
04-01-2006, 07:24 AM
Haha, actually, no shit, I did. I told Tom Delonge something similar about how much I enjoyed his screechy vocals on Cheshire Cat and he just laughed. Maybe I encouraged him too much?