PDA

View Full Version : Gibson or Fender?

guitarboy
03-30-2006, 05:32 PM
Which is better; a Gibson les paul or a Fender strat?

coke_a_holic
03-30-2006, 05:47 PM
Depends on music style, I personally prefer Strats.

NDM1
03-30-2006, 06:02 PM
I like Gibson Les Paul studios over the Strats, but if i had a choice of any Gibson it would definetly be a Gibson SG supreme, or the SG Classic with P-90's

Zero
03-30-2006, 06:35 PM
Gibson pwns all fenders. 'Nuff said.

That_Guy91
03-30-2006, 06:45 PM
No, not 'nuff said. Gibson and Fender are both awesome enough for it to be up to preference.

Although I use an Ibanez.

Kylethedood
03-30-2006, 06:50 PM
i like gibsons cos they're goodlookin. up to u really what feels best.

T-6005
03-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Gibsons tend to have higher action - I'm not a fan of high action.

In fender, I'd have to go for a Fat strat.

Although I play a Yamaha Pacifica 412V.

coke_a_holic
03-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Gibsons tend to have higher action - I'm not a fan of high action.

In fender, I'd have to go for a Fat strat.

Although I play a Yamaha Pacifica 412V.
<3, I love you. Fat strats are complete sex. I was gonna rent a Pacifica 412, but I ended up with an older model instead. I ended up trading it in after a couple months for said fat strat.

T-6005
03-30-2006, 07:03 PM
<3, I love you. Fat strats are complete sex. I was gonna rent a Pacifica 412, but I ended up with an older model instead. I ended up trading it in after a couple months for said fat strat.
I wouldn't recommend a 412 above a Fat Strat - however, for a 612V or an 812V, I'd definitely pimp those out above any guitars. The action is fairly low, but the general playability is amazing - tone is similar to Fat Strats, really, only the rock tone is better. Fat strats are better at pulling out a killer raw blues tune, though - although I think with a little tweaking 812Vs are up there.

Zero
03-30-2006, 07:06 PM
I play Ibanez anyway, too :P

I have never had a good time with a fender though :( I know some people who got their ideas stolen from fender.

What I like about Gibson is the lack of bolt on necks. And if you play your cards right you can get a very low action LP. SG is different, in fact I hate SG's.

T-6005
03-30-2006, 07:10 PM
I play Ibanez anyway, too :P

I have never had a good time with a fender though :( I know some people who got their ideas stolen from fender.

What I like about Gibson is the lack of bolt on necks. And if you play your cards right you can get a very low action LP. SG is different, in fact I hate SG's.
Gibson Les Pauls have a very round neck anyway - which completely kills low action.

Zero
03-30-2006, 07:13 PM
True True

I sanded my friends down for him a good bit... it turned out nice.

T-6005
03-31-2006, 10:13 AM
True True

I sanded my friends down for him a good bit... it turned out nice.
You sanded down the back of a Gibson's neck and it turned out well?

How did you deal with issues like warp and such?

offspringer24
03-31-2006, 12:54 PM
ibanez end of!

NDM1
03-31-2006, 01:00 PM
Gibson pwns all fenders. 'Nuff said.

No. Saying one brand of guitar is better then another is complete crap. That's like saying the color blue is better then red. It is almost 100% personal prefrence as to what guitar somebody likes.

II NOODLES II
03-31-2006, 01:43 PM
For me i would go for the Gibson LP cause i hate Fender strats. But the guitar i prefer most is Ibanez probably cause of the sound that comes out some of them.

Nirushika6789
03-31-2006, 01:47 PM
No. Saying one brand of guitar is better then another is complete crap. That's like saying the color blue is better then red. It is almost 100% personal prefrence as to what guitar somebody likes.
Yea I agree with NDM1...

It all depends on the music you like to play...really its up to preferences

but personally I prefer Ibanez to both...

Sinister
03-31-2006, 01:49 PM
at the moment I prefer Behringer over anything, because I was going for a cheap beginner kit, and a Behringer guitar + amp pack is only $200.

mrconeman
03-31-2006, 01:54 PM
They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Both rule really when you get right down to it. But I personally prefer Gibson Les Pauls over anything Fender have.

Zero
03-31-2006, 02:20 PM

But blue is better than red...

I know, I know. I was just displaying my opinion with extreme passion.

You sanded down the back of a Gibson's neck and it turned out well?

How did you deal with issues like warp and such?

Truthfully, I'm not sure...He is a wizard when he works on guitars. He just had me sand it down.

II NOODLES II
03-31-2006, 02:22 PM
Ill say not all fenders are bad. ( I know no one was really sayin that). I likte the Fender Telecaster. that guitar is cool. I just hate the sound that the strat have unless you change pickup. Same as Gibson. What do you guys go for in guitars. the style or the sound that comes off them.

mrconeman
03-31-2006, 04:16 PM
Obviously the sound, any real guitar player will agree with that.
BUT, to some extent the style also, because people have issues with different body types, such as the Les Paul being to heavy, or having a hard time sitting down with a Flying V. And looks matter even less, but still matter, I wouldnt buy a guitar that sounded nice if it was ugly as hell or awkward I guess

T-6005
03-31-2006, 06:16 PM
BUT, to some extent the style also, because people have issues with different body types, such as the Les Paul being to heavy, or having a hard time sitting down with a Flying V. And looks matter even less, but still matter, I wouldnt buy a guitar that sounded nice if it was ugly as hell or awkward I guess
I think both are equally important. Style has to do with feel, and feel is as important for a guitar as tone.

I firmly believe this.

II NOODLES II
04-01-2006, 09:07 AM

Yeah I also agree. I was just askin incase someone thought i was meanin it in a mean way.

el_monkey
04-01-2006, 01:20 PM
don't buy (used) fender strats from the CBS era. they're like the worst fender strats ; too heavy and other shit

Mooose
04-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Fenders are overrated

Jebus
04-01-2006, 01:32 PM
No, gibsons are overrated and overpriced. I'd still rather have a gibson over a strat though. I like the testerone you get out of les pauls for the type of music I play.

el_monkey
04-01-2006, 01:34 PM
buy a dean dimebag razorback

noodle654
04-02-2006, 11:54 AM
I dont like any of them...Ibanez all the way!

skiddles824
04-02-2006, 11:55 AM
FENDER cause dats wat my bass is :D :cool:

Conspiracy of One
04-02-2006, 11:59 AM
It really comes down to the genre of music you most prefer playing. I believe that the Epiphone Les Paul Custom, once you get used to the weight, is far better than the Gibson's Standard, with a big differential in price. But if you like Punk, Classic Rock, or Blues styles of music I highly recommend one.

mrconeman
04-02-2006, 12:20 PM
You could kinda put it down to genre, but not really.
Strats and Les Pauls are both renowned for bluesy tones. They are also both widely used in metal/rock and genereally everything else. More to do with what kind of tone your after.

Kylethedood
04-02-2006, 02:03 PM
what's this go to do with your band, what is your band? sorry, i'm been a tit

Zero
04-02-2006, 03:28 PM
FENDER cause dats wat my bass is :D :cool:

Fender basses are a lot better than gibson basses.
I like Epiphones better; Same quality, lower price. Only difference is that one is made in Japan/Korea, which is where most Ibanez's are made.

T-6005
04-02-2006, 11:50 PM
I like Epiphones better; Same quality, lower price.
Completely untrue. Lower quality, lower price.

Zero
04-02-2006, 11:59 PM
Well there are some Epiphones that are very poor quality, such as the LP-100 which is a bolt-on neck les paul that is cheaply made and sells for like $100. But Epiphones upper class models like the LP Custom and LP Standard that go for like $500 I've seen on par with some gibsons. Now of coarse there are Gibsons that blow epiphones out of the water but I was suprised on how close they are quality-wise.

Jebus
04-02-2006, 11:59 PM
Weren't Epiphone's production recently moved to Indonesia? In the of Asian totem pole of quality, japan is on the top, korea in the middle, and indoenesia is on the bottom.

Zero
04-03-2006, 12:07 AM
They were? Well now they suck... lol.

America > Japan if money is no object....well, it used to. America's quality is going down. :(

Jebus
04-03-2006, 12:10 AM
They were? Well now they suck... lol.

America > Japan if money is no object....well, it used to. America's quality is going down. :(
nah, japan is on par with the US, but Japanese instruments are still cheaper because of lower wages in Japan.

Zero
04-03-2006, 12:13 AM
Thats basically what I said in a twisty, not clear sort of way.
Sorry.

America's quality in a lot of things has gone down recently...especially cars and guitars...

mrconeman
04-03-2006, 05:24 AM
I have an Epiphone Black Beauty, its probably one of the more high-end epi's and it was made in Korea I beleive. Its an awesome guitar and all, but I'm not one of these people who kid themselvs into thinking their epi is better than most Gibsons.
With some changes it could be maybe on-par with Gibson quality, but they still arent as good.

Having said that, Gibsons are extremly over-rated but still nice guitars.

Eon.Blue
04-03-2006, 11:28 PM
I don't like the necks of either brands. I like the body style of the Les Paul. Strat bodies are just too "bubbly" for my tastes.
Tele is too twangy. SG's are also twangy and very hick-ish.

I would also like to make this post a "Hi, I'm new" post.

NDM1
04-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Ah, comon are there any other SG lovers here?

bouncingcoles
04-07-2006, 08:54 AM
depends but i prefer gibson

II NOODLES II
04-10-2006, 06:07 PM
What is your favourite Gibson model people? I think i prefer LP models but i do like some SG models

guitarboy
04-10-2006, 06:15 PM
sg's are ok but most of them are set up as rythem guitars and i don'tr like using that pickup arrangement for lead or any gibson for that matter i used a pickup arrange ment that goes neck to bridge single coil, single coil, humbucker with a five way switch it gives a much broader range of tones also i prefer 24 frets instead of 22 it gives that full range option

II NOODLES II
04-11-2006, 04:50 PM
Does anyone use D'Addario strings. I do but never again since my bottom string (High E) came loose :mad: now its just totally pissed me off since i cant get it back in :mad:

Zero
04-11-2006, 05:24 PM
I use D'Addario XL's, Elixers and Ernie Ball strings. Different brand for different applications.

My favorite Gibson body style is a tie between the V and LP.

I don't like SG's but my second guitarist plays an SG so I can't put 'em down to much.

II NOODLES II
04-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Does anyone use D'Addario strings. I do but never again since my bottom string (High E) came loose :mad: now its just totally pissed me off since i cant get it back in :mad:

Lol hey i like the strings again cause i fixed it yaay :D (proud of achievement).

II NOODLES II
04-12-2006, 05:19 PM
I use D'Addario XL's, Elixers and Ernie Ball strings. Different brand for different applications.

My favorite Gibson body style is a tie between the V and LP.

I don't like SG's but my second guitarist plays an SG so I can't put 'em down to much.

Yeah i like the les pauls also. I want an LP custom with a gold finish and prolly a seyemour duncan invader bridge pick up.

Zero
04-13-2006, 01:06 PM
I want a Silverburst...oh so nice, but so expensive now. Too bad they stopped makin 'em. I don't really like LP's with gold hardware though...or any guitar with gold hardware. I just don't like gold.

I'm aiming for a Trans Black Quilt maple LP soon.

guitarboy
04-19-2006, 06:23 AM
i like the v best espically the rzandy rhodes model w/ polka dots the "pre-jackson" one also i use ernie ball strings for electric and martin for acoustic i have used D'Addario but only flatwounds which i liked for jazz band in school but pretty much worth less for everything else

blackballs
04-25-2006, 02:08 PM
My band uses Gibson guitars and I use Fender basses.

Zack
04-25-2006, 08:42 PM
fender fender fender fender fender fender!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

_JJB
04-26-2006, 02:11 PM
I had Fender Precission Bass from Japan and I was glad. This guitar is prefered by lots of famous musicians. Now I own Fender Jazz Bass and Cort Action Bass V and they are ideal guitar for music that I play with my band.
In my opinion Gibson's Les Paul is better for heavy music because this guitar has got two humbuckers instead three Stratocaster's singles. Anyway "Strato" is very good guitar for soft rock etc.

ska_kid
04-26-2006, 07:00 PM
I prefer Les Pauls all the way. I've never played a Strat that I liked. I've played a few Telecasters that I really liked, but I was broke at the time so I couldn't have picked them up.

offspringisoldschoolpunk
04-27-2006, 07:30 AM
i like strats because they have a good tone and basically you can make a strat sound like anything you want. they kick ass.

guitarboy
04-28-2006, 06:34 AM
i like strat style bod's but with my preferred pickup arrangement

sanjo
04-29-2006, 02:06 PM
ok; fender basses or gibson;epiphone bases?

sanjo
04-29-2006, 02:09 PM
ok;;; a AFFINITY SERIES P BASS BY SQUIER(FENDER).... OR... A EB-O GIG RIG BASS BY EPIPHONE(GIBSON)????

The Cinder
05-02-2006, 03:10 AM
Which is better; a Gibson les paul or a Fender strat?

GIBSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! ! ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

_JJB
05-02-2006, 04:22 AM
ok; fender basses or gibson;epiphone bases?

Fender basses.

Freshy
05-02-2006, 12:47 PM
A Gibson Les Paul is pretty good and it looks good too...

II NOODLES II
05-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Sorry to people who own a LP bass. But i dont like the look of the Les Paul bass. It has a huge neck and a small body which doesnt fit in good together.

coke_a_holic
05-04-2006, 04:47 PM
The LP's single cut-offs are just boner-killing. I hold my guitar neck weirdly because I have gigantic hands and don't like bending my wrists, so the single cut-off makes it literally impossible to go past the twelfth fret without experiencing some discomfort. Also, the flat neck is GAY.