PDA

View Full Version : What about Obesity?

number70
12-11-2004, 12:24 PM
Alot of things have been mentioned but none of it is about obesity (There probably is a thread somewhere about it, I haven't checked every page).

But now in the UK about 46% of men in England and 32% of women are overweight (their body mass being about 25-30 kg) and 17% of men and 21% of women are obese (body mass of over 30 kg). And around 13% of 8 year olds and 17% of 15 year olds in England were obese.

In the USA about 34 percent of U.S. adults age 20 and older are overweight, and about 30 percent or 59 million people are obese. Also 15 percent of children age 6 to 19 are overweight, about triple the proportion 20 years ago.

(Please inform me if any of my statistics are wrong).

Noodles is gay
12-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Easy solution; refuse obese people treatment on the NHS, unless it's not their fault, eg because of some genetic thing.

Do the same to smokers and we solve two problems - the shortage of cash in the NHS and also the dangers of passive smoking.

Vera
12-11-2004, 02:01 PM
I don't see obesity as a huge political issue (pun unintended).

wheelchairman
12-11-2004, 02:29 PM
Easy solution; refuse obese people treatment on the NHS, unless it's not their fault, eg because of some genetic thing.

That's stupid. What about people who are genetically more liable to obesity? Or those with low metabolisms?

Instead of taking money away from them, which will only make them feel worse and won't solve anything, (making your solution, the worst solution ever), why don't we try and help them?

I would personally recommend some kind of national athletic program or something.

Noodles is gay
12-11-2004, 02:34 PM
Alas, Wheelchairman, you do not live in England! They are actually doing the opposite to what you have suggested; selling off school fields for extra funds and abolishing sports days because it isn't 'nice' for the children who lose.

Bloody nanny state. :mad:

greencows12
12-11-2004, 02:52 PM
I don't see obesity as a huge political issue (pun unintended).Just what I was gonna say.:D

greencows12
12-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Obesity should be outlawed. Offenders should be put in forced labour camps until they're in shape. If they're so fat that manual labour would kill them, they should just be shot and thrown in a mass grave.I'm overweight, but I do bmx, snowboarding, play 2 instruments, sing, run, jump, do sports, dance.... I don't like hard candy, I don't like choclate or cake that much either. Although, I do tend to get the munchies alot and have a short term memory sometimes. I think. :D But yeah, if they're weighing down airplanes, put them on a tredmill.

greencows12
12-11-2004, 10:28 PM
americans and japanese people have vacuum cleaners that vacuum by themselves. Americans have concentrated cheese in a can, shredded lettuce in a bag, rolling devices you stand on so you don't have to walk, 3 pound cheeseburgers made with grease, a device that's a chair you sit in that rolls you up or downstairs, so you don't have to walk up or down stairs. that last one is only good for old people with authuritis. or amputees. otherwise, if you use any of this stuff, you are a lazy fat fuck..I admit, I bought concentrated cheese in a can once, but it tasted like drywall, so I gave it to my dogs.:D

the_GoDdEsS
12-11-2004, 11:58 PM
Some people shouldn't eat fast food. It's just they're too dumb to realise and then they complain. A few weeks back I saw a 5 year old girl stuffing herself with the second huge hamburger. Her grandmother seems to buy her everything she wants. And the poor thing was already overweight. I mean, watch out a little what your children eat.

Thousands of years ago people did not eat crap and were forced to move a lot. Do you think anyone was obese then? It's mankind's own fault.

Moose
12-11-2004, 11:58 PM
what about for the people who look like they are on heroin like scott weiland? you know people like me...i have actually been trying to gain weight...ya thats not happening, i look like i went on a coke binge or something man. but ya what can we do besides telling them it is unhealthy and provide programs they can enter into? they actually have to want to lose the weight...some people dont care or dont try.

the_GoDdEsS
12-12-2004, 12:05 AM
what about for the people who look like they are on heroin like scott weiland? you know people like me...i have actually been trying to gain weight...ya thats not happening, i look like i went on a coke binge or something man. but ya what can we do besides telling them it is unhealthy and provide programs they can enter into? they actually have to want to lose the weight...some people dont care or dont try.

I know what you mean. Eat a lot in the evening. And for the love of God, don't dance if you do. Dancing makes you lose weight real fast.

Radi0_havana52
12-12-2004, 01:14 AM
Thousands of years ago people did not eat crap and were forced to move a lot. Do you think anyone was obese then? It's mankind's own fault.
i agree its mankinds Fault...or Ronald Mc Donald

Panzerfaust92
12-12-2004, 03:23 AM
I like that. It's clever.

Anyway, I think obesity is avoidable, and it can be solved but it takes time. I haven't seen the movie, "Super Size Me" yet, but it was filmed about 10 miles away from where I usually live. Then I came to Europe and I saw ads for it all over the place. I don't really know how it is in England, but in America, fast food plays a major role in the Obesity factor. The American lifestyle also does that. In most cities, people drive when they need to go somewhere. The cities are all spread out in America, making it hard to walk to everyday locations like school and the supermarket. I think Americans also work too much. In my school in Austria, we get 2 days a month specifically for hiking.

offspringueuse
12-12-2004, 05:20 AM
yes I know it's horrible, those persons shouldn't eat in fast food, and do sport!!! it's important!

saska de o...
12-12-2004, 05:25 AM
Obesity isnt political issue... it's peole issue... but, by the way, they eat fast food and a lot of unk food, cos they want, but its not change about that they dont think about after effeckts.... ;/

Vera
12-12-2004, 05:44 AM
You could consider it an economical problem what with people falling ill due to bad condition and some have to retire earlier because of illnesses caused by obesity and it really is a problem in some countries (including my home country), but this IS the politics forum and how fat the nation is becoming is not something any parliament is discussing, I think.

There are more important issues.

saska de o...
12-12-2004, 12:15 PM
There are more important issues.

yeah... i agree...

Noodles
12-14-2004, 10:51 PM
I don't really know if obesity is a political issue, but I do know that every time I return from touring overseas, I'm blown away by the size of people here in my own country. It does seem to be a huge problem (apologies to Vera).
The only country that even comes close to the US in terms of size is the UK, but they still have plenty of room for growth.

Nicole
12-15-2004, 04:55 AM
I think the Australian obesity problem is a bit overstated, I'll sometimes conciously watch how many fat people walk past and most of the time I see hot people with nice bodies... er...

I do think it's a political issue because they're the ones who will clog up the hospitals with their heart problems, they'll be the ones we have to make extra wide seating for... they just cost too much money and I certainly don't want to be helping them to move around when I become a nurse in 3 years :/

They should make healthy food more readily available, bring down the price of organic veggies and stop deluding people that because a product is fat free that it's still not terrible for you and take all that chemical shit out of all the food or at least label it more honestly.

Poorly constructed argument but I'm in a rush. Bottom line- obese people are a massive problem and cost taxpayer money, they're probably worse than smokers.

Vera
12-15-2004, 06:22 AM
In Finland, the most common cause of death is heart-diseases and blood-diseases caused by unhealthy diet and being overweight (not necessarily obese - most of our fat people are just people who're around 5-12 kilos overweight).

This has a lot to do with food culture and backround. I guess you could say that urbanization has brought us to a situation where a lot of people don't do any physical work at all. And since a huge amount of vegetables has never been a part of the traditional Finnish diet, it's not so easy to start actually eating more healthily.

Also, there is only a limited variety of things you can do the affect this from the political field. One of the most important things would probably be preventing kids from becoming obese. More P.E. lessons - sure, but what I'd also like to see would be some kind of programs that'd make P.E. lessons more fun. Something that'd encourage the kids to exercise on their freetime, as well.

With adults it's kind of like, well, they're adults, they can eat whatever the fuck they want. And they pay taxes, so basically they're paying for their health support. To have something like a "fat tax" seems kind of moronic to me. It's like saying, "because you're fat you cost us more", which isn't even necessarily so because some people might be clinically overweight but in great shape otherwise. Also, it could be considered discrimination as some people can't help being fat - it can be genetic. And so like, whose to say it's your own fault you're fat? People would come up with a thousand valid reasons and a thousand excuses to avoid paying the fat tax. If someone's diagnosed clinically depressed and they have overeaten because of that, should they pay up?

Okay, neverminding the fat tax (I just like the way it sounds to be honest), making healthy food more available would be one considerable option. Healthy and cheap options to fast food could really make a difference.

Of course, it would have to taste good. And seriously healthy food normally doesn't.

It's just like a really difficult thing overall because there needs to be change of lifestyle, change of attitude. More people could learn to cook because if you know how to cook, you can make your own food and home-made meals, if just regular dishes with potatoes or pasta or rice with some sauce, some vegetables aside, maybe some salad and meat of some sort, generally are healthier than fast food meals.

So, like. Yeah.

Sexy Panda
12-16-2004, 04:47 AM
Vera you had a really good post and then you throw it all away with 'so. like. yeah'. What is that about?

Health is an important political issue and obesity fits into that. I think this thread is a valid one.

I don't think Super Size Me is blaming McDonald's. The whole premise was built on the fact that McDonald's said that their food was nutritious. The film has a go at McDonald's it never says that McDonald's is the devil. It is more of an even handed documentary than say 'Bowling for Columbine' or 'Fareinheit 9/11' (I'm still a Moore fan, but he is a bullshitter). It covers many things like lifestyle, not just of adults but also of children. It looks at food in schools and physical education and also looks at success stories where healthy food is served and time is devoted to P.E. While it looked at the Lawyer who sued McDonald's it never supported it. If anything it did some good by giving McDonald's a big spook (although their healthy food is still pretty shit).

People are ultimately responsible for their own actions. They have the right to eat whatever they want and be as fat as a fool, but they also have to bite the bullet and accept that it is their own fault. I don't blame anyone else for the pudge on my belly, I know it was me and so I did something about it and I've lost 8 kilos (want to lose about 20).

I don't know where you live Nicole but it must be the beauty mecca of Australia. All I see are fat arses and troglodytes.

RXP
12-16-2004, 05:16 AM

Negative externalties. It costs the economy in money and workers.

I agree something needs to be done. Most obease people are lucky enough to able to gain mass quickly. Hit the fucking gym and put it on as muscle and start up powerlifting you lazy fucks. You'll never be thin so don't try to be make the best of what you got.

Vera
12-16-2004, 06:00 AM
What's up with that? Simple, I had no idea for a great conclusive line to end the post.

To be honest, it's kind of like, yes, it is an important issue (more important in places like US and UK than other places in the world - for example, everyone I've seen in Estonia has been healthy-looking and I've visited the country at least three times), but there are issues that are more important.

I know people in here would be a little "what the fuck" if our government focused on fat instead of unemployment.

noodler
12-20-2004, 06:14 PM
In direct disgareement with what Noodles said i think obesity is absolutely a political issue.

here in ireland and next door in the UK there are early indicators that our youth is gonna go the same way as many American kids.

Now there is more then one factor involved here, not just fatty foods, hectic lifestyles, playstations[of which i play] ppl not playing sports[although i do] and i guess theres some depression eating.

but ppl arent ignorant or shudnt be and most know what the food does to ur body.

everyone here seen supersize me? i mean the idea of sueing a fast food chain is quite absurd becos u knew exactly what the consequences of a mc muffin et all 3 times a day were before hand.

but the government has to have some say over the health of its flock. a gov obviously cant force any1 to eat right but the promotion of sports, good meals in school etc is so important.

as we all know brain washing is possible from an early age, just ask toy companies or coca-cola so lets use this to our advantage and brainwash young kids into the routine of habit of eating right. better brainwashing for a good reason then a bad