PDA

View Full Version : Without Self Esteem...

F@ BANKZ
04-03-2006, 10:42 AM
I was listening to the Offspring for six hours over the weekend, three for each to and fro London. Anyway while i was listening to Woodsock 99 i wondered when Self Eseem came on, at the end as usual, how much they owe to that song.

Would the Offspring have made it without Self Esteem, they already had COAP, so if they had never written Self Esteem and released something else from Smash like Genocide or Smash (the song) how far wold the band have got, would we be hearing Genocide at the end of every one of their shows?

Corpse
04-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Self Esteem no doubt is an excellent song. But the reason it did so well was because it was made into a single and released and everything. The same thing would have happened to any other song they may have chosen to release.

F@ BANKZ
04-03-2006, 11:28 AM
no, i dont think so, self esteem gets people into the offspring who don't like any other songs or know how big it was, it was one of my firsts and i didnt know.

Apathy
04-03-2006, 11:54 AM
They would have hit it big in 1998 either way. I don't even need to mention why.

Llamas
04-03-2006, 01:10 PM
they would've hit it big without self esteem. they have a lot of songs that get people into the offspring, and they have a lot of songs people like who don't like other offspring songs. It doesn't matter which songs they released off smash, they would've made it.

Gayman
04-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Didn't they get big with "Come Out And Play"?

clocks_R_slow
04-03-2006, 01:29 PM
i think they did get BIG withe "come out and play" thats the first song that got around world wide :cool:

Llamas
04-03-2006, 01:46 PM
yeah, come out and play hit #1 on modern rock track lists, and it hit it HUGE. then self esteem came out and copied off the success of come out and play.

nameless
04-03-2006, 03:58 PM
i think they may not have had as big success with smash but i still think they would be pretty big!

OddOneOut_Bassist
04-03-2006, 04:49 PM
yup, they are both great songs no doubt... but i think some of the reason they put out Self Esteem instead of others was because of the sound at that time... other songs from the album sounded more punk. Self Esteem and COAP sounded kinda alike and, like i said it followed the sound of like nirvana and other big bands at the time... but Offspring were better :p

Llamas
04-03-2006, 05:37 PM
well you guys know that the producers hated that song? epitaph really disliked it and didn't want them to release it... but the band really wanted to, so they went ahead with it, epitaph didn't stop them, and boy were they surprised!! Too bad they still can't released whatever they want with columbia :-/

Hux
04-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Without doubt they would've been huge without Self Esteem, they have so many other great songs/hits.

0r4ng3
04-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Without Self Esteem, Smash wouldn't have been so popular, Offspring would've never left Epitaph for Columbia, and never release Americana, and wouldn't get popular with PF(FAWG). It's all about the chain reactions.

ruroken
04-03-2006, 08:29 PM
What the hell...? Why did you make a "what if" thread? What purpose does such a thread ever hold?

Llamas
04-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Without Self Esteem, Smash wouldn't have been so popular, Offspring would've never left Epitaph for Columbia, and never release Americana, and wouldn't get popular with PF(FAWG). It's all about the chain reactions.

wtf?? they wouldn't have left epitaph if it wasn't for self esteem?? uhhh...

F@ BANKZ
04-04-2006, 09:44 AM
What the hell...? Why did you make a "what if" thread? What purpose does such a thread ever hold?
It shows how much the band rely on something for starers

Llamas
04-04-2006, 11:33 AM
they didn't rely on anything. they made a couple songs that went huge.