PDA

View Full Version : The Offsprings Violent Humor

Kill Boy Power Head
04-03-2006, 07:10 PM
The offspring have always had a violent humor in there early songs such as in so alone with the lyrics "KILL F%&# OFF HEY DIE" kill the president and kill boy power head genocide and most people think they played punk in the early years but when there newer stuff came out it was called punk rock but almost the majority of that is positive messages like end of the line come out swinging all along so does this mean that punk needs to be violent and cant be a positive message your thoughts about all of what i said.......... :rolleyes:

Hux
04-03-2006, 07:42 PM
These are all sarcastic songs, songs like Kill The President are political songs expressing their views in an exaggurated manner.

To be a punk band you don't have to/only have songs with topics and lyrics like violence, etc.

Also, The Offspring have meany positive and depressing songs which is associated to their style.

pretty_fly_white_guy858
04-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Kay .

Little_Miss_1565
04-03-2006, 08:46 PM
These are all sarcastic songs, songs like Kill The President are political songs expressing their views in an exaggurated manner.

To be a punk band you don't have to/only have songs with topics and lyrics like violence, etc.

Quoted for truth.

I don't think the Offspring have ever purported to be the living definition of punk rock, so I don't think you need to worry about what the Offspring do and what that means for punk.

DeAtHsTaR
04-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Not to mention that Killboy Powerhead was a cover.

Little_Miss_1565
04-03-2006, 09:20 PM
Not to mention that Killboy Powerhead was a cover.

lol. it's true.

Kill Boy Power Head
04-03-2006, 09:45 PM
lol......you all think your so smart of course its a cover but they chose to sing it

Llamas
04-03-2006, 10:13 PM
they also chose to sing "I wanna be sedated", doesn't mean they want to be sedated...

Little_Miss_1565
04-03-2006, 10:19 PM
lol......you all think your so smart of course its a cover but they chose to sing it

Not everything should be dissected. Just relax and enjoy the tunes, dude.

Llamas
04-03-2006, 10:35 PM
agreed. don't tell that to drummerguy, though :eek:

Hux
04-03-2006, 11:21 PM
Lol, so true.

Kill Boy Power Head
04-03-2006, 11:31 PM
well every one has a differnt opinion on why the songs are wrote and why they are performed but the truth is..... none of us no only the offspring do

Llamas
04-03-2006, 11:45 PM
we do know that most of their "angry" songs are sarcastic, though.

offspring_freak_3
04-04-2006, 07:41 AM
^^ i agree with that. dude dont take shit too seriously, just relax and enjoy the songs

Demon_of_Debauchery
04-04-2006, 07:51 AM
If it sounds sarcastic don't take it seriously

Llamas
04-04-2006, 08:40 AM
perrrrrrrfect reply :)

pretty_fly_white_guy858
04-04-2006, 11:15 AM
If it sounds sarcastic don't take it seriously
Internet sarcasm sucks....

Llamas
04-04-2006, 11:36 AM
we're not talking about internet sarcasm.. we're talking about sarcasm in offspring songs...

alistair13
04-17-2006, 10:02 AM
in their earlier stuff, offspring sarcasm can be creepy if taken seriously. read some reviews of their s/t album, so many dumbasses were put off by beheaded and ktp because of their 'violent humor'

The Search Button
04-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Disclaimer:

Ladies and gentlemen
Welcome to the disclaimer
That's right, the disclaimer

This American apple pie institution
Known as parental discretion
Will cleanse any sense of innuendo or sarcasm
From the lyrics that might actually make you think
And will also insult your intelligence at the same time

So protect your family.
This album contains explicit depictions
Of things which are real.
These real things are commonly known as life.
So, if it sounds sarcastic, don't take it seriously.
If it sounds dangerous,
Do not try this at home or at all.
And if it offends you,just don't listen to it.

Rutegard
04-17-2006, 10:41 AM
nice work :D

ixnay rules

Emily_offspring_fan
04-17-2006, 11:26 AM
I just love the sarcasm in Offspring songs. That's one of the reasons I love The Offspring.

Evka.pl
04-17-2006, 11:29 AM
I just love the sarcasm in Offspring songs. That's one of the reasons I love The Offspring.

same here:) songs like LAPD , kill the president, cool to hate, bad habit, burn it up etc rule!

Rutegard
04-17-2006, 12:05 PM

that's exactly the point

Llamas
04-17-2006, 05:51 PM
same here:) songs like LAPD , kill the president, cool to hate, bad habit, burn it up etc rule!
LAPD and KTP were NOT sarcastic. LAPD was about how shitty police can be and how biased and wrong they are... KTP was also not sarcastic.

BIG Nicky
04-17-2006, 06:06 PM
I don`t think I`ve encountered the LAPD yet... I hope I never will. Then again I live in PA.

Kitten
04-17-2006, 06:12 PM
LAPD and KTP were NOT sarcastic. LAPD was about how shitty police can be and how biased and wrong they are... KTP was also not sarcastic.

Wasn't LAPD around the time of the Rodney King incident? I could be wrong, because it was quite a few years back, but a lot of LAPD was about some members of the police force abusing their powers. As for KTP, doesn't everyone need to express dislike for their leaders without actually doing anything too extreme?

offspring_freak_3
04-17-2006, 06:16 PM
quoted for true. i love sarcastic songs, too bad some people r stupid and cant realize when a song is carcastic :p

Evka.pl
04-18-2006, 01:07 AM

excuse me but words like 'kill all the nigers, kill whoever you see, don't need a reason LAPD' ARE sarcastic.

Dexter_H
04-18-2006, 01:25 AM
excuse me but words like 'kill all the nigers, kill whoever you see, don't need a reason LAPD' ARE sarcastic.
Not really, they are closer to being hyperbole's.

Evka.pl
04-18-2006, 02:02 AM
Not really, they are closer to being hyperbole's.

still think it's sarcasm (whicht is similar to a hyperbole btw, only the context matters more)

Dexter_H
04-18-2006, 02:13 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

the_GoDdEsS
04-18-2006, 02:23 AM
Yes, but some people's opinion is so wrong that you just have to point it out.

Dexter_H
04-18-2006, 02:44 AM
Swish .

ten characters

ofsmurfsandpixies
04-18-2006, 03:45 AM
but beheaded is one of their best songs

Hux
04-18-2006, 04:45 AM
Yes, but some people's opinion is so wrong that you just have to point it out.
Lol, now that's a quote worth remembering and saying :p.

offspring_freak_3
04-18-2006, 07:58 AM
its beat not kill. and no thats not sarcastic, they r saying about what the L.A.P.D does

wheelchairman
04-18-2006, 08:06 AM
It is sarcastic. The song lyrics give the impression that the Offspring approve of what the LAPD does. While in reality, it is a sarcastic chastise of the violence of the LAPD.

Little_Miss_1565
04-18-2006, 08:22 AM
^ Exactly, Per. It really disheartens me that so many people do not understand sarcasm. Dexter doesn't really want anyone to kill the president, kids.

offspring_freak_3
04-18-2006, 08:23 AM
of course not, het not a fuckin terrorist :rolleyes:

Vera
04-18-2006, 10:00 AM
The offspring have always had a violent humor in there early songs such as in so alone with the lyrics "KILL F%&# OFF HEY DIE" kill the president and kill boy power head genocide and most people think they played punk in the early years but when there newer stuff came out it was called punk rock but almost the majority of that is positive messages like end of the line come out swinging all along so does this mean that punk needs to be violent and cant be a positive message your thoughts about all of what i said.......... :rolleyes:
You should have put all those periods somewhere in between all those words and people could maybe understand what the hell you're saying.

Except that you're unable to detect sarcasm, of course.

And no, punk doesn't need to be violent or not have a positive message. That's ridiculous. Most of punk music has a positive message.

Llamas
04-18-2006, 05:36 PM
still think it's sarcasm (whicht is similar to a hyperbole btw, only the context matters more)

that's not sarcasm. Sarcasm is making fun... this is characterizing what the LAPD does. They do hold racist opinions and have been caught beating people just for their race. That's not sarcasm.

Kill the president is irony, not sarcasm.

Little_Miss_1565
04-18-2006, 06:12 PM
that's not sarcasm. Sarcasm is making fun... this is characterizing what the LAPD does. They do hold racist opinions and have been caught beating people just for their race. That's not sarcasm.

Kill the president is irony, not sarcasm.

Dude...please, go back to high school English.

Sarcasm is NOT just "making fun." Dictionary.com puts it nicely when it says it's: "A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule." Sarcasm is frequently ironic.

Irony is "The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning."

Clearly, "Kill the President" falls under sarcasm. "LAPD" is just telling it like it is. The "kill all the niggers/white trash" chorus is a first-person personified projection of what someone in the LAPD might say.

wheelchairman
04-18-2006, 10:52 PM
I don't know 1565, it's so hard to hear sarcasm over someone's voice.