PDA

View Full Version : The Offspring for or against downloading music?

scream
04-04-2006, 02:23 AM
I remember they wanted to release Co1 on the internet for free before it went live but Sony stopped them. Recently, tho, I saw that Nitro Records was a member of the RIAA. What exactly is The Offspring's stance on downloading music?

.:SMASH:.
04-04-2006, 02:32 AM
I remember they wanted to release Co1 on the internet for free before it went live but Sony stopped them. Recently, tho, I saw that Nitro Records was a member of the RIAA. What exactly is The Offspring's stance on downloading music?
they are for it

Llamas
04-04-2006, 02:38 AM
yeah, as far as I know they think music should be free.

04-04-2006, 02:41 AM
yeah, as far as I know they think music should be free.
well bands like offspring don't make much money from a record compared to what they get for concerts and stuff. so it's not much of a loss if they give away thier music. the loyal fans will always want to see them perform live

Llamas
04-04-2006, 02:45 AM
they just always seemed to be for the idea that more people will hear their music through downloading. if it floats around free, people will hear them more likely than if they have to buy an album. I agree with that logic.

04-04-2006, 02:47 AM
my personal opinion is that music should not cost money. i have reasons behind it, but the length of the reply will bore you

Llamas
04-04-2006, 02:56 AM
PM me :) I actually agree with you. I think music should be free, as well. Curious about your opinion. Doubt the whole board wants to read it, though.

Demon_of_Debauchery
04-04-2006, 03:03 AM
I don't think you should have to pay for listening to music but if you think about the bands that are playing the music they probably want something in return for it.

Llamas
04-04-2006, 03:07 AM
I think bands should be paid for live performances, but I don't think that if you want to listen to music, you should have to pay for an album, or a dollar per song.

Kitten
04-04-2006, 03:17 AM
my personal opinion is that music should not cost money. i have reasons behind it, but the length of the reply will bore you

Please, do explain it to the rest of the board...

Hypodermic_89
04-04-2006, 04:15 AM
Yeah I think that music should be free. But we got all these popstars that get greedy and demand money or they'll sue.. And Metallica, too. They sue everyone.

Little_Miss_1565
04-04-2006, 07:37 AM
Maybe music "should" be free, but it costs *so much money* to produce---should musicians and record labels go into debt just so you can have free music?

I can't remember where I read it, but I believe Dexter is feeling more conflicted about downloading music than he felt when Americana and CO1 came out.

Kaz The Random
04-04-2006, 08:10 AM
I don't think it all should be free, bands have to make a living some how. It should be a lot cheaper though, and more of the money should go to the actual artist. I agree with downloading for free.

offspring_freak_3
04-04-2006, 08:54 AM
yeah i dont think music should be free, come on the guys live with the songs they made, besides, produce a album cost a LOT.

and replying to the first post, yeap they r for it, they suported napster to release co1 in the internet but sony music stopped them, so they only released original prankster

Little_Miss_1565
04-04-2006, 09:23 AM
and replying to the first post, yeap they r for it, they suported napster to release co1 in the internet but sony music stopped them, so they only released original prankster

...but the question is now, has he changed his mind?

offspring_freak_3
04-04-2006, 09:25 AM
how can i know, i dont read minds :p

endlesst0m
04-04-2006, 09:26 AM
CD's are just an awful product. That's mostly why I end up burning so much music.My CD's get scratched up no matter what I do! It's like they're programmed to scratch themselves up after 6 months. Not only that,CD's are really easy to steal. They shouldn't be so expensive...they should be like 5 bucks.

belen1979
04-04-2006, 09:35 AM
I can't remember where I read it, but I believe Dexter is feeling more conflicted about downloading music than he felt when Americana and CO1 came out.

It may be, because people uses the internet a lot more now than when CO1 came out... Now most people has internet at their home, by that time most of us used cyber-cafes (or whatever they are called in english). At least here in Spain, don't know for how long to have internet at home is usual in the rest of your countries.

What I mean, six years back very few people were able to download that amount of music we download now...

Demon_of_Debauchery
04-04-2006, 09:44 AM
CD's are just an awful product. That's mostly why I end up burning so much music.My CD's get scratched up no matter what I do! It's like they're programmed to scratch themselves up after 6 months. Not only that,CD's are really easy to steal. They shouldn't be so expensive...they should be like 5 bucks.
I agree with that I would buy more CDs rather than downloading them but its a lot of money and they end up getting scratched.

offspring_freak_3
04-04-2006, 10:07 AM
i only buy cds to suport te band, cause i dont play cds very much, i only listen to music when i'm on my computer or in my ipod and mp3 player (discman)

Ixnay Splin
04-04-2006, 10:12 AM
I don't mind about having to pay for music. You pay a small amount to be able to listen to it for as many times as you like!!! I usually download music first to see if i like it and then go out and buy the CD if i like it. I get the packaging and feel like i'm contributing to a persons wages type of thing. They work hard to play and write music, why not be rewarded for their efforts rather than performing music just for fun. Sure they get enough money for touring, but when your 14 and living in U.K. with not a lot of money, you can't always watch the offspring live when ever you want! At least by buying the music i'm not get joy from someone else's music whjilst they get nothing for it

Emily_offspring_fan
04-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Hmm..I don't know, I think if you like a band very,very much, you will want to buy the original cd and not download it. That's my opinion and I what I feel to do.

Rutegard
04-04-2006, 11:39 AM
it doesn't matter what i download from the offspring i always buy their official stuff

Llamas
04-04-2006, 12:35 PM
I prefer cds. I have over 300 cds that I've purchased, but I download, too. There are a lot of bands I don't like enough to buy their music.

Idiot
04-04-2006, 03:17 PM
I don't think music should be free, but I think it should be considerably cheaper.

Awesomo
04-04-2006, 03:40 PM
I believe that sharing music should not be something we as music listerning can be sued over. I don't believe an official CD should be free considering you get the actual cd, booklet, official lyrics and what not. I'm sure it costs alot to produce but I'm also sure they are overpricing out the ass.

scream
04-04-2006, 09:04 PM
I buy all Offspring CDs that come out as I'm a huge fan so there's no question there. Whether or not music should be free, tho, is in the air. Personally I feel that music should be much cheaper. It costs much less than 15 dollars to produce, print, and ship a music CD. I would buy more albums if they costed 5 dollars, but with the crap that the industry usually puts out I don't buy many CDs.

Tomoo
04-04-2006, 10:00 PM
i know that back in the day, the offspring were one of the bands that played at the "support napster" or whatever it was concert, dexter was sporting the napster shirt. I remember reading that he was all for the downloading of music. as far as his current opinion, i havent heard anything recently. i download most of my music, but i do buy some cds, usually right when they come out from bands that i looove (offspring is one of em, ha)

DexterWannabe
04-04-2006, 11:41 PM
dexter always wore the napster-shirt before on shows, so i guess he loved them

Kitten
04-05-2006, 01:34 AM
I agree that albums could be a little cheaper, however, the artist should get more per CD than they do currently.

Demon_of_Debauchery
04-05-2006, 02:12 AM
They can afford to sell CDs cheaper as sometimes you can get albums for about 5 when they are usually 15

icklebabygremlin
04-05-2006, 09:03 AM
they are for it
Well i know dexter is