PDA

View Full Version : Fevers

the_GoDdEsS
04-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Anybody got some useful advice? I've been feverish for about two weeks again and cough like an idiot all of this winter. Could be that I'm overworked? 10-14 hours? Give me some fever remedies. Except for drinking tea.

notoriousdoc
04-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Hot baths are good, especially if you're all achey.

- -Lauren- -
04-04-2006, 12:12 PM
It's probably not much, but lay down on the couch with a very cold rag around your neck, one on your forehead, and one on your feet.

...but why would you want a hot bath? It may relieve aches and pains, but you'll just be burning up even more. If anything, a cool bath may help cool you down, but I know that cold rags do help out a bit.

the_GoDdEsS
04-04-2006, 12:14 PM
It's probably not much, but lay down on the couch with a very cold rag around your neck, one on your forehead, and one on your feet.

Oh shit, nothing cold. My neck is super sensitive to the cold. Would get worse. It's not that high today either.

killer_queen
04-04-2006, 12:14 PM
Home treatments don't work on everbody the same. I'll tell you what I do.
First take a shower to relax and dry your hair without waiting after it. Wet, long hair would make you more sick. I suggest you to drink soup and lots of water. To stop coughing my aunt always makes me the mix of milk, starch and sugar. Use cinnamon if you want. Go to bed and cover yourself with a thin sheets which won't make you too much warm. The most important thing is relaxing of course. And stop going to work for a few days if you can. Hope you can get well soon.

the_GoDdEsS
04-04-2006, 12:16 PM
The cough medicine sounds okay. I've already been on sick leave and antibiotics over a week ago. Heh, relaxing would help a lot but that's unrealistic right now. Thanks though.

Vera
04-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Rest, rest, rest. I probably could've done without many sick days and would've gotten better much faster if I realized that rest = lying down, drinking something nice, maybe watching a movie or something, but rest is definitely not sitting on the computer. It feels lazy, it feels relaxing but it's not really rest.

Lying down, sleeping when you feel the need to - that kind of things usually gets the fever down.

notoriousdoc
04-04-2006, 12:19 PM
...but why would you want a hot bath? It may relieve aches and pains, but you'll just be burning up even more.
It always makes me feel better when I have one, sorta sweats it out.

killer_queen
04-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Vera is right about computers. It might give you a headache. But I'd say don't watvh TV or read something. You already work too much. Spend your time with sleeping. I don't know how much you normally sleep but if you are having less than you used to do stay away from the other things. If you can't get enough sleep you can never get well.

the_GoDdEsS
04-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Ummm, 4-6 hours? I know I need to sleep more.

killer_queen
04-04-2006, 12:30 PM
That's insane! I'm doing the same thing though but I always compensate(that's the right word I think) on weekends. Simona, you should leave the computer right now and go to sleep. God, do it before you get big, purple circles under your eyes which would cover your beauty. You wouldn't like it, would you?

the_GoDdEsS
04-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Yep, I catch up during the weekends. At least. It's funny how back when I did not work sleeping so little wasn't a problem.

Rocky-girl
04-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Of course working a lot stealing your immunity. But not only work it can be stress, less sleeping. It all destroy your immunity. Then if you feel yourself badly: has a temperature, headache, you're badly ill you need to drink more hot tea/cranberry(or red bilberries) drink, because it has much vitamin C, it must be very hot, lie in bed and sleep more. If you want to stop your cough you need to drink more hot tea ( something else) and I don't know if you use it and know what I'll tell you about: when I have a cough I gargle with herbs or just drink decoction from that herbs (camomile, calendula).
I wish you recover soon!

Betty
04-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Lots of water is key to flush out your system. It should help your body fight the illness faster.

If you're actually feverish, cold is the only way to go. Even if your body feels cold and your head feels hot, you need to cool yourself down. But then it doesn't suond like your fever is particularly high.

I can't honestly advise you to rest or sleep, because I never do that myself, even if I'm sick. I understand how hard it can be.

Duskygrin
04-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Did folks actually advise her to get a hot bath? hahaha jesus, you ppl... next time you'll be coming up with a sauna tip...

One thing is overexerting oneself, which Simona, to be frank, you seem to have done to a remarkable extent, & another is being seriously ill.

That fever is obviously a symptom. Your body is trying to defend itself, my first guess would be against sth like a virus. My medical knowledge is shallow at best, null & void at worst, as I'm only gathering conjectures based on my personal experience of diseases (from fever to asthma to pissing blood), but I seem to recall antibiotics are mostly efficient against bacteria? Not viruses? I'm not sure, of course.

I'm in a poor state myself, cold & shivering, but that is merely due to sleep deprivation. I can only urge you to do a blood analysis soonest possible. You take public transportation a lot, & God only knows what you may have caught.

I wish you a prompt recovery, Sim. Get well soon. *hugs*

nieh
04-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Oh shit, nothing cold. My neck is super sensitive to the cold. Would get worse. It's not that high today either.

The thing with the cold, wet rag is that when you have a fever it feels like it's fucking freezing and will make you feel like absolute crap at the time, but there's a good chance it'll bring the fever down a bit and you'll feel a bit better after the fact.

It might not be the best idea to make the fever go down though cause if you're fighting something off that might make you start to lose.

the_GoDdEsS
04-04-2006, 02:48 PM
I figured I just handle winters bad. Don't think it's anything serious. The main problem is last time I stayed home it wasn't nearly long enough for me to get better. So it tends to re-occur a few days or weeks later, especially due to the lack of sleep and a lot of pressure.

I don't think it's as much the public transport as the fact that I am working with people. Adults are fine but the kids sometimes come sick into class and sneeze at everybody and that's just extremely stupid and irresponsible of the parents. But we've complained so yeah. Thanks.

And it's the way Betty pointed out. I can't just stay in bed. I need to occupy my mind with things.

Italia311
04-04-2006, 02:57 PM
A sensational 3-4 hours with an Italian guy usually helps...

the_GoDdEsS
04-04-2006, 02:58 PM
You Italians are so flirty.

Duskygrin
04-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Well, if you're saying it's none too serious... It's just that I'm physically unwell myself so I tend to imagine the worst... I'm really glad it's just that winter disagrees with you... well, glad... sorta relieved, rather...

Tizzalicious
04-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Eh, all I know is that taking painkillers is not a good idea, it'll bring it down a bit, but let it stay longer. At least that's what I always heard.

And feel better!

(Sleep more!)

the_GoDdEsS
04-04-2006, 03:01 PM
You sound like you're feeling unwell quite often.

Duskygrin
04-04-2006, 03:02 PM
My friends tell me so also. I guess it's my constitution... some of us are always on good form... others always in poor shape... & well, I suppose I'm of the latter!

Vera
04-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Ugh, Sim, kids sneezing. That's like THE thing I lecture my kid bro about. I don't care if he eats with his hands, as long as he remembers to sneeze AWAY from the table, away from people, into his hands, preferrably into a tissue or something.

He used to sneeze at the table and I used to lose my appetite immediately after that. :/

the_GoDdEsS
04-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Haha, that's really bad, Sannis. Eeks. I used to be mean to my brother and squeeze his knee under the table so he'd spit out the food. I was a mean sister. :/

HeadAroundU
04-04-2006, 03:23 PM
So it tends to re-occur a few days or weeks later.

Ouch, that sucks hard. When I was younger I had this problem. *huggies, hope it helps*

Where's Bella, our BBS healer? :cofused:

the_GoDdEsS
04-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Oh people, let's not turn this into a pity party. Advice. And vinovica helps for the throat. But I don't have problems with that now.

wheelchairman
04-04-2006, 03:34 PM
The only fevers I know about, are Saturday Night Fevers. :cool: