PDA

View Full Version : Punctuation Rant.

0r4ng3
04-05-2006, 04:34 PM
You know what I hate more than anything in the world? People who apostrophise plural words. Damn, it pisses me off so much that I want to start bashing peoples skulls in with a dictionary. That's the ONE punctuation mistake that actually gets to me. Don't people understand the difference between a plural word and a posessive and/or contraction?

Fuck people and their mistake's.

Lars
04-05-2006, 04:40 PM
How about if you had your name written as Lar's? That's a great one!

wheelchairman
04-05-2006, 04:53 PM
How about if you had your name written as Lar's? That's a great one!
Yeah but you're a Lars in an anglophonic world. Imagine if you were Kris and had seen a Kri's.

To be a jerk today, we split into groups, and I turned my friend Kris into a Khris. lolz.

HeadAroundU
04-05-2006, 04:57 PM
It's cool to hate. :cool:

Icy Chic
04-05-2006, 08:29 PM
You know what I hate more than anything in the world? People who apostrophise plural words. Damn, it pisses me off so much that I want to start bashing peoples skulls in with a dictionary. That's the ONE punctuation mistake that actually gets to me. Don't people understand the difference between a plural word and a posessive and/or contraction?

Then you couldn't come here. There were these groups of guys that spray painted sayings on the "Creative Wall" of our school for a project, and I don't think they pay attention in English, at all.

XYlophonetreeZ
04-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Yeah, but in the defense of people who do that for whom English is not their native language, that's one of the things that really sucks about English. We use an "s" to signify plurals, possessives, contractions of "is" and "has," and the third-person present conjugation of most verbs. Four totally different things, and we use the same letter for them all. It's probably confusing as hell to someone learning English.

Betty
04-05-2006, 09:09 PM
My opinion is that once a grammatical rule has been clearly layed out for you, there is no reason to get it wrong, unless of course you're totally new to the language.

It always annoyed me when someone spelled the same word about four different ways in the same text, or used proper grammar for a word in one case, but then screwed it up two sentences later.

"You're a big loser. Yup, your definitely a big looser."

To me that just signifies mental laziness. I respect consistent mistakes a whole lot more.

T-6005
04-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Hey, I learned quotation marks. Don't start that with me.

Andy
04-06-2006, 02:14 AM
I have a similar hatred, but it is for people who can't seem to grasp the difference between "there", "their" and "they're".

Betty
04-06-2006, 02:43 AM
I just recently remembered one of my pet peeves. EVERYBODY makes this mistake. I find it in professional material all the time.

Effect.

Affect.

NOT the same.

Effect: a NOUN.

Example: Something has AN effect. Things do not Effect you. This is wrong. Things Affect you.

The verb "effect" has a different meaning.

Paint_It_Black
04-06-2006, 02:54 AM
I just recently remembered one of my pet peeves. EVERYBODY makes this mistake.

Not everybody.

Sin Studly
04-06-2006, 03:06 AM

I know "mistake's" was deliberate, but was peoples?

Paint_It_Black
04-06-2006, 03:42 AM
I think Jesse should apologize.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-06-2006, 07:10 AM

rofl.

I just recently remembered one of my pet peeves. EVERYBODY makes this mistake.

Not I. But it's amazing how fervently people stick to their mistake once you point it out to them.

"No, it's effected! Not affected!" they say. Grr.

ruroken
04-06-2006, 07:36 AM
Example: Something has AN effect. Things do not Effect you. This is wrong. Things Affect you.

The verb "effect" has a different meaning.
I HATE those two words so much. I can never get it right, and I try, but I can't figure it out. I want to, but it's hard.

So... 'effect' is for other people and 'affect' is for yourself?
Or... 'effect' is for things and 'affect' is for people?

Cejus
04-06-2006, 07:47 AM
No, the difference between 'affect' and 'effect' is that, like she said:

affect is a verb
effect is a noun

e.g.:
Something has an effect.
Something affects something else.

0r4ng3
04-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Oh, fuc'k.

endlesst0m
04-06-2006, 04:54 PM
I don't care about punctuation as long as it seems like the writer made an attempt to proof read at least once. About one mistake every paragraph won't bother me, but after that, it just seems like they're being inconsiderate. Reading something that is difficult to understand is as frustrating as talking to somebody that mumbles a lot.

Haha, it feels like the pressure to use good grammer is really on in this thread.

ruroken
04-06-2006, 05:14 PM
No, the difference between 'affect' and 'effect' is that, like she said:

affect is a verb
effect is a noun

e.g.:
Something has an effect.
Something affects something else.
effect = before
affect = happened

?

I just want this easier to understand so that I don't have to have some lame ass debate in my head every damn time the word comes up.

T-6005
04-06-2006, 05:16 PM
To affect is a fucking verb, ruroken.

When you say "He _____ her." it's affect.

When you say "We saw the _____." it's effect.