PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Offspring had a part in AFI's success?

DeAtHsTaR
04-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Ok! Listen closely...

Well, as you probably know, AFI was signed to Offspring frontman Dexter Holland's Nitro Records for a long time, until they jumped to a major for Sing the Sorrow. Anyways, The Offspring covered Total Immortal (and did so greatly) by AFI in 2000 for the soundtrack to Me, Myself , and Irene and released it as a single. It did pretty good on the charts, and a lot of people loved it and when they heard it was a cover of a song by a little-known band called AFI, people decided to check them out, perfectly in time for The Art of Drowning, which got the band serious attention from the major labels and sent them on their way to becoming famous.

Do you think this could be possible? I was just thinking about AFI and I thought all this up....

endlesst0m
04-06-2006, 09:11 PM
I still don't understand why The Offspring's cover of Total Immortal sucked so bad. Yes it fucking did suck. Or at least it was nowhere near as good as AFI's version. Have you ever been so sure of something that you refuse to listen when people disagree? Yeah, this is one of those times. Even the recording quality sucked!

Jebus
04-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Well, yes. I thought it was fairly obvious that AFI wouldn't have made it without offspring.

I still don't understand why The Offspring's cover of Total Immortal sucked so bad. Yes it fucking did suck. Or at least it was nowhere near as good as AFI's version. Have you ever been so sure of something that you refuse to listen when people disagree. Yeah, this is one of those times. Even the recording quality sucked!
Other than the vocals, I thought it sounded exactly the same. I haven't heard it in a while so I could be wrong.

DeAtHsTaR
04-06-2006, 09:16 PM
I still don't understand why The Offspring's cover of Total Immortal sucked so bad. Yes it fucking did suck. Or at least it was nowhere near as good as AFI's version. Have you ever been so sure of something that you refuse to listen when people disagree. Yeah, this is one of those times. Even the recording quality sucked!
The cover quality itself is an opinion, and everyone gets one of those, but that song had good production. Maybe you downloaded a low quality file?

Other than the vocals, I thought it sounded exactly the same. I haven't heard it in a while so I could be wrong.
Yes, exactly the same, just a little louder.

Paint_It_Black
04-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Well, yes. I thought it was fairly obvious that AFI wouldn't have made it without offspring.

Actually it's completely obvious.

I had never even heard of AFI until I saw them open for the Offspring in 2000. At the time I thought they pretty much sucked. I preferred Caffeine, the other opening band. I quite like AFI these days though. I certainly listen to them more than I listen to the Offspring.

The Offspring's version of Total Immortal is a large part of why I tried listening to AFI again.

Little_Miss_1565
04-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Though I'm not sure that Offspring's cover of "Totalimmortal" (spell it right!) was the reason AFI broke, clearly AFI's time on Nitro was key to their success.

Also, if you can't hear the difference in the playing styles of Jade Puget and Noodles on their respective versions of the songs, you might want to clean out your ears.

Llamas
04-06-2006, 10:52 PM
and afi obviously adapted many offspring styles when they hooked up with them. they were always a band that incorporated styles of various bands they toured with... and the offspring styles of art of drowning worked out to get them out there. of course the offspring was huge in afi's success.

Little_Miss_1565
04-07-2006, 12:21 PM
and afi obviously adapted many offspring styles when they hooked up with them.

Ummm...no. If they adapted anyone's style, it was Rancid's, which they then let go of in favor of synth and samples.

I don't know
04-07-2006, 12:27 PM
yeah, I think so, I know they would do the same music in any label, but dexter helped them in their success. and if it wasn't dexter I don't think they would go to a major label

Rutegard
04-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Do you think Offspring had a part in AFI's success?

Sure

Apathy
04-07-2006, 01:14 PM
AFI wouldn't have made it big without Nitro I think. (at least, not at the same time. It probably would have happened sooner or later anyway.)

But The Offspring covering them has nothing to do with them blowing up. At all.

DeAtHsTaR
04-07-2006, 01:39 PM
AFI wouldn't have made it big without Nitro I think. (at least, not at the same time. It probably would have happened sooner or later anyway.)

But The Offspring covering them has nothing to do with them blowing up. At all.
I dunno, I remember a lot of people hearing Totalimmortal on the radio and upon hearing it was AFI, they checked them out....

Yes kids, total immortal charted.

#36 Modern rock, #27 Mainstream rock.

Little_Miss_1565
04-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Dain, The Offspring helped AFI through touring and having Nitro, but they were not single-handedly responsible for them blowing up so chill.

bouncingcoles
04-07-2006, 02:08 PM
yes offspring had a part in AFIs success

1. offspring covered total immortal and got it played on the radio
2. offspring took AFI on tour in 1997
3. Offspring took AFI on tour in 2000
4. Dexter had AFI on his label
5. Dexter advertised AFI by doing things like wearing AFIs shirt in the movie idle hands.

clocks_R_slow
04-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Though I'm not sure that Offspring's cover of "Totalimmortal" (spell it right!) was the reason AFI broke, clearly AFI's time on Nitro was key to their success.

Also, if you can't hear the difference in the playing styles of Jade Puget and Noodles on their respective versions of the songs, you might want to clean out your ears.

i know huh?
c'mon now when i hear a new Offspring song and if its just a guitar riff i can tell that it's the offspring

clocks_R_slow
04-07-2006, 02:26 PM
and yes i think the offspring did have a lot to do with the sucess of AFI

rlplaymaker
04-07-2006, 02:29 PM

you fucktard....that is without question the offspring's best movie soundtrack song the production quality is amazing and so it dexter's voice in that song

DeAtHsTaR
04-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Dain, The Offspring helped AFI through touring and having Nitro, but they were not single-handedly responsible for them blowing up so chill.
Never said they were... I just said they had a large part.

nameless
04-09-2006, 04:21 PM
they were on their label so they do owe them something!

Jakebert
04-09-2006, 07:26 PM
Aside from Dexter signing them, I really don't think so.

AFI are a very talented band, and I think they would have gotten noticed even if they weren't signed to Nitro. I mean, you can't deny that being signed to Nitro played into their sucess, but I think if they would have evolved the same way on any other label, the same things would have happened for them.

Little_Miss_1565
04-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Aside from Dexter signing them, I really don't think so.

AFI are a very talented band, and I think they would have gotten noticed even if they weren't signed to Nitro. I mean, you can't deny that being signed to Nitro played into their sucess, but I think if they would have evolved the same way on any other label, the same things would have happened for them.

Well, Offspring also took them out on tour, didn't they? Surely that didn't hurt.

JohnnyNemesis
04-09-2006, 07:30 PM
Yeah, The Offspring's version of "Totalimmortal" was hot garbage. The original is still amazing though.

It's weird though; I got into AFI through random Nitro Records compilation CDs (when they were still promoting Very Proud Of Ya), so I never thought about this question too much. But much of what dain says is right: The Offspring were probably instrumental in AFI's current successes.

Little_Miss_1565
04-09-2006, 07:31 PM
But much of what dain says is right: The Offspring were probably instrumental in AFI's current successes.

Except Dain thinks it was because of the "Totalimmortal" cover, which I do not agree with.

JohnnyNemesis
04-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Yeah. I think the cover may have had something to do with it, but not anything too significant. The touring and promotion Dexter did as head of Nitro helped a heap, I'm sure.

Jakebert
04-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Well, Offspring also took them out on tour, didn't they? Surely that didn't hurt.

That's true, but I still think that they would have gotten noticed by someone else if the Offspring hadn't done stuff like that.

TheOldMark
04-09-2006, 10:28 PM
duh. show me evidence that they didnt have a huge part in their success. for the longest time, Dexter thought AFI would be a big hit in the future. He saw the market for their kind of music. He promoted them left and right, and the Total Immortal cover was a big part of that. He cut them loose from Nitro following AOD, knowing that he had succeeded and Nitro could know longer handle them and theyd be holding them back.