PDA

View Full Version : Ten years later, I get the joke.

Little_Miss_1565
04-08-2006, 06:44 PM
"Don't Pick it Up" is a sort of ska song.

pickituppickituppickituppickituppickituppickituppi ckituppickituppickituppickitup
as in
oi oi oi!

Dexter = funny.

Drummerguy123
04-08-2006, 06:45 PM
*golf clap*

Little_Miss_1565
04-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Am I the only slow one?

Drummerguy123
04-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Well, it only took me about a year...
Then again, I kinda go insane obsessed with that album, so you are excused.

EDIT: and if it makes you feel any better, it has only been 9 years.

rlplaymaker
04-08-2006, 10:05 PM
i thought it was pretty much common knowledge.....

Little_Miss_1565
04-08-2006, 10:07 PM
i thought it was pretty much common knowledge.....

haha, now I know you didn't get it either and just don't want to come out with it. ;)

Ninty Man
04-08-2006, 10:20 PM

pickituppickituppickituppickituppickituppickituppi ckituppickituppickituppickitup
as in
oi oi oi!

Dexter = funny.

I

Dont

Get

It...

seriously :confused:

scream
04-08-2006, 10:33 PM
I

Dont

Get

It...

seriously :confused:

i also dont get it :(

Nood!es
04-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Nor do I..

-=Xander=-
04-08-2006, 10:42 PM
I dont either

barangatang
04-08-2006, 10:52 PM
Am I the only slow one?

I just got it a little bit ago, when I heard an operation Ivy song.

EDIT: I just saw the mindless: "i don't get it" posts so here's an explanation:

In ska, the guitar plays quick, jolty chords upwardly picked on the off or "upbeat". That's why singers in ska bands yell: "pickituppickitup" Because "don't pick it up" is a ska song, dex probably wrote the lyrics in mockery the ska "pickituppickitup".

Llamas
04-08-2006, 11:00 PM
all of you who don't get it:

"pick it up" is something ska kids say a lot, it's in a lot of ska songs. I don't know why, but it's a ska thing. Dexter is making fun of ska music by titling the song "don't pick it up", and the part where he goest "pickituppickituppickitup" is mocking them again. I didn't get it before becuase I know jack shit about ska... had no idea that was a ska thing. Until a couple months ago- people were talking about it a lot in a thread on here.

-=Xander=-
04-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Thank both of you wise people. I am forever in your debt... :D

JohnnyNemesis
04-08-2006, 11:27 PM
Dexter = funny.

This is the only part of your post that was inaccurate.

endlesst0m
04-09-2006, 12:44 AM

I think Dexter is pretty funny actually. I've laughed at more than a few things he's said.

-=Xander=-
04-09-2006, 12:48 AM
I'm with you endlesst0m

Llamas
04-09-2006, 12:50 AM
I also agree. I think dexter is often funny. some of the older funny songs are truly funny. I also find pretty fly to be cleverly funny.

Hux
04-09-2006, 01:05 AM
The way Dex makes fun of stuff/people is funny, like Pretty Fly, the Backstreet Boys, etc.

endlesst0m
04-09-2006, 01:14 AM
The way Dex makes fun of stuff/people is funny, like Pretty Fly, the Backstreet Boys, etc.

Yeah, but I'm just talking about some qoutes of things he's said mostly. He says some funny stuff in interviews and at concerts.

Hux
04-09-2006, 01:17 AM
Yeah, but I'm just talking about some qoutes of things he's said mostly. He says some funny stuff in interviews and at concerts.
Yes that's so true as well, so many funny things at the concerts, etc...but I was talking about it in another way.

Venom Symbiote
04-09-2006, 01:28 AM
Um, not trying to sound like an asshole or anything, but yeah - common freakin' knowledge.

And to think...so many people actually thought it was about dog shit. Bah.

The thing I've never understood about that song, is if it's such a "ska mockery", why does it not even have a trumpet or trombone part? Why doesn't "What Happened To You" either, for that matter?

I mean, fair enough, mock ska. I don't care. I love ska, but whatever. But at least include a horn line, it's a staple of the genre. Pretty-much required in anything for it to be considered "ska".

They hire additional musicians a lot, so why not for their ska efforts? Weird. :confused:

Dexter_H
04-09-2006, 01:33 AM
Because the main aspect of ska is the accented off beat, not the brass instuments.

Llamas
04-09-2006, 01:48 AM
a lot of ska doesn't have hornlines... the off beat, fast paced music is the key to the style.

and it's common knowledge that "pick it up" refers to ska? sorry, no way. not everyone cares at ALL about ska. I sure don't. I didn't know it meant that till a couple months ago.

Little_Miss_1565
04-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Um, not trying to sound like an asshole or anything, but yeah - common freakin' knowledge.

Blow me! :D If you don't have anything nice to say, sometimes it's best not to say anything at all.

The thing I've never understood about that song, is if it's such a "ska mockery", why does it not even have a trumpet or trombone part? Why doesn't "What Happened To You" either, for that matter?

Because someone of your snottiness might not understand the nuance between 'parody' and 'mockery.' Get a dictionary, why doncha, 'cuz it's common freakin' knowledge.

I mean, fair enough, mock ska. I don't care. I love ska, but whatever. But at least include a horn line, it's a staple of the genre. Pretty-much required in anything for it to be considered "ska".

The guitar solo is kind of a horn line--wait, isn't the guitar solo played by a horn? And besides, they weren't doing a ska song--they were doing an Offspring song, with elements of ska. So chillax.

That's it, no secks from '65 for you!

HeadAroundU
04-09-2006, 09:16 AM
oh, nice to know!
Thanx, I never knew that.

Vera
04-09-2006, 09:31 AM
I didn't get it, either.

Good to know, but, uhm, the song still kind of sucks to me.. :/

JohnnyNemesis
04-09-2006, 10:00 AM
Every post from Venom Symbiote is something along the lines of "DUH! U R WRONG AND DUHHHH U STUPID". Then you actually read what he says and find out he's a fucking moron and should be ignored/constantly disrespected.

Oh, and Dexter is funny in interviews and such. But there's never been a purposely funny Offspring song ever, and that's a fact!

0r4ng3
04-09-2006, 10:03 AM
I get that it's a ska song. Is there anything else to it?

Drummerguy123
04-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Every post from Venom Symbiote is something along the lines of "DUH! U R WRONG AND DUHHHH U STUPID". Then you actually read what he says and find out he's a fucking moron and should be ignored/constantly disrespected.

Oh, and Dexter is funny in interviews and such. But there's never been a purposely funny Offspring song ever, and that's a fact!

I definitely agree with your entire post here. Venom was really really getting on my nerves, so he has been ignore listed for quite some time now. And Dexter is definitely funnier as a person than a musician. I mean, remember his "Even Jesus hats Creed" t-shirt?

Little_Miss_1565
04-09-2006, 10:51 AM

Okay, now maybe I'll let you get to second base.

JohnnyNemesis
04-09-2006, 11:13 AM
I already came home :(

Vera
04-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Dudes, overshare!

Now let's talk about Dexter some more.

clocks_R_slow
04-09-2006, 01:21 PM
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jacknife737
04-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Blow me! :D If you don't have anything nice to say, sometimes it's best not to say anything at all.

I think every person who uses these forums should read that.

I don't know
04-09-2006, 03:29 PM
I'd never get it if you didn't say that

endlesst0m
04-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Okay, now maybe I'll let you get to second base.

If I was a chick, I would let guys get to second base all the time. It's no big deal for the girl, but really cool for the guy. Unless you have the B-cup blues.

endlesst0m
04-09-2006, 04:10 PM

I dunno, for some reason, I thought it was HILARIOUS the first time I heard "Because I don't really feel comfortable!" in Da Hui. Then again, I have a really stupid sense of humor.

Llamas
04-09-2006, 05:18 PM
I liked venom symbiote at first, but the more I read from him, the more it seems like he enjoys cutting people down... he can't discuss things with people without trying to be an asshole.

JohnnyNemesis
04-09-2006, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't care if he cut people down if he was actually RIGHT once in awhile...

Little_Miss_1565
04-09-2006, 06:39 PM
If I was a chick, I would let guys get to second base all the time. It's no big deal for the girl, but really cool for the guy. Unless you have the B-cup blues.

Um, that was random. And no, I don't have the "b-cup blues," which is why I don't let just anyone get to touch 'em. And you're lying to yourself if you think it's no big deal for any girl.

JohnnyNemesis
04-09-2006, 06:46 PM
*inserts pervert comment about 1565's overall sexiness just because it's expected of me*

DeAtHsTaR
04-09-2006, 07:46 PM

as in
oi oi oi!

Dexter = funny.
I pointed this out two weeks ago.

JohnnyNemesis
04-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Yeah, but she's relevant and you're not.

Drummerguy123
04-09-2006, 07:47 PM
I pointed this out two weeks ago.

But the difference here is that she matters and you don't.

Drummerguy123
04-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Yeah, but she's relevant and you're not.

haha! Good timing. ;)

DeAtHsTaR
04-09-2006, 07:49 PM
But the difference here is that she matters and you don't.
So it's a queer little popularity contest? It doesn't matter who points out a fucking fact, it's a fact.

http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22500&page=1&pp=10&highlight=pick

Little_Miss_1565
04-09-2006, 07:52 PM
All you point out in that post is how ska kids say "pick it up." Nothing to do with "Don't Pick It Up." And no, I'm not going to read all three pages so if it came up on one of those pages, well, whoops.

Maybe I would have seen that thread if I didn't ignore most everything you post. Maybe that's why others didn't see it, either. It's not a popularity contest, Dain, it's that people generally tend not to pay attention to people who don't contribute in a constructive, relevant way.

Drummerguy123
04-09-2006, 07:54 PM
All you point out in that post is how ska kids say "pick it up." Nothing to do with "Don't Pick It Up." And no, I'm not going to read all three pages so if it came up on one of those pages, well, whoops.

Maybe I would have seen that thread if I didn't ignore most everything you post. Maybe that's why others didn't see it, either. It's not a popularity contest, Dain, it's that people generally tend not to pay attention to people who don't contribute in a constructive, relevant way.

That and the fact that he is retarded.

Venom Symbiote
04-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Wow. Well, guess I was "pwned" there, as the kiddies say. :p

Kind of funny how you preface something with "not trying to be an asshole" and still get ripped up over what follows. In all honesty, I wasn't trying to stir shit up with that.

Anyway, sure seems to be a lot of hate flying around here from Drummerguy and JohnyNemesis, for people claiming to dislike me on the basis of being antagonistic or whatever. Nice.

As for the accented beat being the mainstay of ska, agreed. I'll concede a personal screw-up there. You're right, if anything that should be the single defining feature of the genre, and I overlooked it. My bad. Still, I don't think anyone can deny that a horn line is a pretty dominant feature too.

QUOTE:
"and it's common knowledge that "pick it up" refers to ska?"

Well, among anyone who listens to ska/punk-rock/hardcore/rockabilly, I would guess. "Common knowledge" was probably an overstatement. But within the third-wave rock scene, sure it would be.

QUOTE:
"Because someone of your snottiness might not understand the nuance between 'parody' and 'mockery.' Get a dictionary, why doncha, 'cuz it's common freakin' knowledge."

:D Zing! Nicely done.

QUOTE:
"Blow me! If you don't have anything nice to say, sometimes it's best not to say anything at all."

Hmm, could be a nice change of philosophy, I guess. I'll keep it in mind.

JohnnyNemesis
04-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Anyway, sure seems to be a lot of hate flying around here from Drummerguy and JohnyNemesis, for people claiming to dislike me on the basis of being antagonistic or whatever.

Nope. Just a crystal clear awareness of how annoying you are. Really, REALLY fucking annoying.

I don't think anyone can deny that a horn line is a pretty dominant feature too.

Totally true. It's too narrow to say its the defining feature of ska, which people tend to do, but it's definitely a dominant feature.

Venom Symbiote
04-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Double post - fuck, apologies.

Little_Miss_1565
04-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Kind of funny how you preface something with "not trying to be an asshole" and still get ripped up over what follows. In all honesty, I wasn't trying to stir shit up with that.

Only assholes who are trying to stir shit up preface anything with "not trying to be an asshole." You prefaced a statement with that and proceeded to say something shitty thinking that preface would save you from coming across as a prick. It's just not done, son.

As for the accented beat being the mainstay of ska, agreed. I'll concede a personal screw-up there. You're right, if anything that should be the single defining feature of the genre, and I overlooked it. My bad. Still, I don't think anyone can deny that a horn line is a pretty dominant feature too.

Yes, it is a dominant feature. But there is no rule anywhere that says a parody has to hit on all the dominant features of what's being parodied.

JohnnyNemesis
04-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Only assholes who are trying to stir shit up preface anything with "not trying to be an asshole."

EXTREMELY true. Seriously, there are few things I hate more than that. I remember one kid saying "Now, I'm not sexist, but women are truly just dumb!" 'the fuck?! That's the very DEFINITION of a sexist statement, you fucking moron!

[/rant]

endlesst0m
04-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Um, that was random. And no, I don't have the "b-cup blues," which is why I don't let just anyone get to touch 'em.

cool. thats really cool.