PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Youth

Jakebert
04-08-2006, 07:31 PM
Sonic Youth might be one of the most original, creative bands that I've ever heard. I just bought Bad Moon Rising a few days ago, and even though I have a few other albums, I've never heard anything quite like it in my life. It's not an album...it's a landscape re-created through sounds.

Anyone else here into them?

Betty
04-08-2006, 09:22 PM
I always try to listen to them, but I always end up thinking it's too weird. I'm sure I'll listen again in the future.

nieh
04-08-2006, 09:26 PM
I can only think of one song I know of theirs by name, Protect You Me. One of the creepiest songs I've ever heard and from what I understand the whole album is the same way. I might get it but it's not the kind of thing I'd listen to frequently. Also from what I understand a lot of their stuff is more indie-ish with guitar noise in the mix (akin to Polvo and Thinking Fellers).

Endymion
04-08-2006, 09:41 PM
they're like... the originators of the stuff i like. that said, i don't like them all that much because it's just so tame next to more modern stuff.

Jakebert
04-09-2006, 07:15 AM
I can only think of one song I know of theirs by name, Protect You Me. One of the creepiest songs I've ever heard and from what I understand the whole album is the same way. I might get it but it's not the kind of thing I'd listen to frequently. Also from what I understand a lot of their stuff is more indie-ish with guitar noise in the mix (akin to Polvo and Thinking Fellers).

Well, the earlier stuff is a lot like that, but they progressed at lot as they went and they did a lot of stuff that mix that early style with more contemporary songs. Daydream Nation is probably their best album overall.

The stuff they did during the 90's wasn't really anything like the older stuff and had more of a grunge feel to it, but it's still really good.