PDA

View Full Version : A GOOD 100 Best Songs Ever

Nood!es
04-10-2006, 06:23 PM
I researched this one. And got the list from Epinions.com. And Its deffinently better than that shit list posted before.

100-81

100.KISS: Detroit Rock City: DRC is classic Kiss...simple rock lyrics, good guitar riffing, and one of the most memorable basslines ever written in rock history.

99.Marshall Tucker Band: Take The Highway: Some may question how much this truly belongs, given the fact that it has a reed solo. But anyone who's heard this yearning, soulful anthem will agree that it has earned it's spot on this list.

98.Tom Petty: You Wreck Me: You Wreck Me, released in 1994, harkens back to a simpler time in rock and roll, where simple beats and power chords could create what is quite simply, a rousing anthem.

97.Guns N Roses: November Rain: It's not often that an 8 minute epic becomes a band's biggest hit. But such was the case with GNR and November Rain. I've always felt this song was over-rated...it is certainly a great song, but I don't think it's top 50 material.

96.Led Zeppelin: In the Evening: Long one of my absolute favorite Zeppelin songs, In the Evening begins kind of dark and mysteriously, and then crashes into something that's a lot more "classic Zeppelin" in tone. I love the guitar riff and the use of the other instruments which help give this tune an otherworldly feel.

95.Styx: Come Sail Away: Yeah, I know, the Eric Cartman version is better too, but I need to try and keep this somewhat serious. Anyways, this song has it all...great vocals, nice harmonies, and playing that is excellent all around.

94.Elvis Presley Can't Help Falling in Love: This is the only Elvis song on the list, which some might see as blasphemy, but whatever. This has long been my favorite Elvis song, if for nothing else I feel it's probably the best he sounded in terms of truly "fitting" a song vocally.

93.Rage Against the Machine: Killing In the Name: Hearing this song for the first time was a lot like hearing Public Enemy for the first time. You knew it was urgent, you knew it was controversial, but you knew it would be big. Definitely the pre-eminent RATM song.

92.Bon Jovi: Livin on a Prayer: There are certain songs that just fit a time so perfectly, you can't help but appreciate them. This is definitely one of those. While Bon Jovi has been written off a million times, the fact is is that this song is perhaps one of the four or five best songs of the 1980s.

91.Cheap Trick: Surrender: An unbelievably good rock song this is, with perhaps one of the most classic rock and roll lyrics ever: "Mommy's alright, daddy's alright, they just seem a little weird." Indeed they do.

90.Rolling Stones: Ruby Tuesday: Definitely my favorite Stones song, even though I know it's not their best. In fact, I've always thought that the Stones ballads were better in many ways than their upbeat rock songs, especially stuff like Brown Sugar and Jumpin Jack Flash.

89.Queen: Hammer to Fall: I honestly think this has some of guitarist Brian May's best work, in terms of just him being able to show off a bit. It's certainly an under-rated song by a band that had so many great ones.

88.Jane's Addiction: Stop: There's something so primal, so urgent, about this song. I love it's energy, and it's definitely one of the most influential songs of the last 15 years or so.

87.The Who: My Generation: Another song that I think gets placed way too high on these lists...but I definitely feel it belongs here. Thanks to John Entwistle, the bass solo became something that could actually be done. Perhaps no song has done as much for bass playing as this one has.

86.U2: With or Without You: What else can be said about this song? It's probably one of the two or three best songs to come out of the 1980s, and it remains just as inspirational and hopeful now as it did then.

85.Norman Greenbaum: Spirit in the Sky: This might make some people shake their heads, but the fact is is that I absolutely ADORE this song to death. I don't know why, but it's just fun to me. That guitar, the chorus, everything about it is to die for.

84.R.E.M.: It's The End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine): Probably the silliest number on my list, this rapid fire poppish rock song is probably the band's best loved. You can almost see the smile on Michael Stipe's face as he sings it.

83.Pearl Jam: Black: Perhaps the greatest breakup song ever written, Black is plain and simply, haunting. Nearly everyone who has heard it loves it, because nearly everyone can relate to that one special line: I know you'll be a star in somebody's else's sky, but why can't it be mine?

82.Neil Young: Cinammon Girl: I'm not a big Neil Young fan, as I feel he's always been extremely over-rated in terms of how good he truly is. He's DEFINIATELY an over-rated guitar player. But Cinammon Girl is just a perfect piece of pop rock heaven, and it deserves its spot on this list, if not a bit higher.

81.The Clash: Clampdown: In terms of albums, the Clash's London Calling may be the best ever recorded. Clampdown has a great hook to it, and even more importantly than that, the band MAKES it feel like it's an important song.

Nood!es
04-10-2006, 06:23 PM
80-61

80.AC/DC: Sin City: Is there anything better than the ultimate sleeze band singing about the ultimate sleeze city? Nah, didn't think so. This song kicks MAJOR a*s.

79.Elton John: Tiny Dancer: This is probably the biggest stretch on my list, because Tiny Dancer is a piano ballad that's more of a pop song than a rock song, but it's six plus minutes of balladry that is honest to God, nearly perfect.

78.Public Enemy with Anthrax: Bring Tha Noize: In terms of rap meeting rock, there was Run DMC/Aerosmith, then the Beasties, and then this, this monstrous mish mash of heavy metal and rap that stands almost unchallenged to this day.

77.Free: Walk In My Shadow: The band best known for All Right Now wrote many better tunes. The best of which is this, a raucous blues rock number that has as much sonic energy and pulsating groove as any other song any British band came up with in the late 60s and early 70s.

76.David Bowie: Heroes: I love the textures on this song, how everything comes together to form the background, and Bowie sounds nothing short of amazing on this track.

75.Soundgarden: Jesus Christ Pose: You listening Scott Stapp? Sorry, had to take that shot. Three words dictate this song: Matt f*cking Cameron. Period, end of story.

74.The Faces: Bad N Ruin: A searing bit of blues guitar from Ron Wood, matched with a fiery vocal performance from a pre-suckage Rod Stewart, and you get one of the best songs from one of the most underappreciated bands ever.

73.Beastie Boys: Sabotage: See how I said Bring Tha Noize was almost unchallenged? Welcome to it's biggest challenger. Sabotage was one of those songs that was inescapable for years, not just months. Sure, the video helped, but this song deserved to be as huge as it was.

72.Beatles: Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds: Much like the Bowie song above, I love the atmosphere this song creates. It has a very cool, almost inexplicable vibe to it that just draws you in as a listener.

71.Van Halen: You Really Got Me: Some people may think that the Kinks original version belongs on here, but let's face it folks, this is the version that is truly truly classic. EVH's guitar just sounds like it's being ripped apart on every chord, and it sounds so f*cking cool, every second of it.

70.Allman Brothers Band: Whipping Post: Some people don't "get" the Allmans, but there isn't much to get about this song: passionate singing, terrific instrumentation, and oh yeah, it rocks!

69.Steve Miller Band: The Joker: How anyone can hate this song is beyond me. It's like saying you hate Free Fallin by Tom Petty...it just makes no sense. That bass line is one of the greatest bass lines ever in rock history. Add in a series of lyrics that are extremely fun to sing along to, and you have a certifiable classic.

68.Def Leppard: Pour Some Sugar on Me: Say what you want about Def Lep, but they have recorded two of the best pop metal albums EVER. Pour Some Sugar on Me is, in short, everything good that 80s pop metal had to offer. It was just as the lyrics said: "sticky sweet."

67.R.E.M.: Nightswimming: In my mind, one of the most overlooked tracks on the band's Automatic for the People record, even though it was released to radio as a single. I love this song to death, the piano melody is superb and Stipe's voice is chill inducing.

66.Stone Temple Pilots: Interstate Love Song: I had trouble placing this song, mostly because it's been so played out that I'm sick of it...but at the same time, I think that that guitar riff is one of the few from the 1990s that will still be played 20 years from now.

65.The Doors: Light My Fire: I hate the Doors. More accurately, I hate Jim Morrison. But I'd be remiss to call Light My Fire bad. In fact, it's one of only about 4 or 5 Doors songs I find to be to my liking at all.

64.Jimi Hendrix: Voodoo Child (Slight Return): Absolutely, positively, one of the best recorded performances on an electric guitar ever. This song just makes my jaw drop just about every single time I hear it. If I played guitar, I'd aim to create something like this song.

63.Aerosmith: Sweet Emotion: In terms of basslines, this might be the best known one ever. I love this song for the swagger it presents, it SOUNDS like 5 bad boys are playing it, and that's the only way it SHOULD sound.

62.Nine Inch Nails: Head Like a Hole: I'll never forget the first time I heard this song. My brother bought Pretty Hate Machine and just cranked this song. I was hooked. The drums, the bass, the guitars, it all sounded so angry, and it just fit where I was at that time. Oh yeah, it's also probably the one of the 3 most influential songs of the last 15 years.

61.AC/DC: If You Want Blood (You've Got It): Another one of AC/DC's most overlooked songs, this, along with the title track, was the centerpiece to the Highway to Hell record.

Nood!es
04-10-2006, 06:24 PM
60-41

60.Van Halen: Dreams: Before Sammy Hagar, Van Halen was all about partying and good times. With Sammy, they got a little bit of substance. This is one of the most cathartic sing along songs ever written, it just makes you feel alive.

59.Red Hot Chili Peppers: Higher Ground: In terms of cover songs, there are few that rival the intensity and energy of RHCP's cover of this Stevie Wonder tune. In one four minute blast, everything that was to be loved about the Chilis was revealed, and rock music was all the better for it.

58.Pearl Jam: Alive: Alive is one of the few songs from the band's "Ten" era that still feels every bit as vital as it was when it was released. It's original meaning has gone through 2 major changes (a song about incest became a song about being truly Alive, and then it became a tribute to 9 people who no longer were Alive), but the inspiration it creates with just the opening notes has never wavered.

57.Cheap Trick: I Want You To Want Me: This is the pre-eminent power pop song. Perhaps no other song has influenced as many bands in terms of sound than this one...a bold statement? Sure. But true? Prove me wrong.

56.Radiohead: Paranoid Android: This song is a complete and total mindf*ck. It certainly doesn't have a "classic" song structure, but it doesn't matter. Just listen to the fine musicians playing this song, and how good it sounds, and you'll see what I mean.

55.Led Zeppelin: Whole Lotta Love: Jimmy Page is, even more than Hendrix, the quintessential guitar god hero, and he sounds it every bit on this track. That chugging guitar riff has been often imitated, and never duplicated.

54.AC/DC: Back in Black: In terms of plain ole "meat and potatoes" rock and roll, not much beats this song. It is at once a tribute and an anthem, and with the opening crunches of those power chords, you can't help but play your air guitar along with it.

53.The Who: 5:15 Despite the really corny lyrics, this song is just a great old school type of rock and roll song. Oh yeah, it also has the greatest bass solo in history. It is this song that cemented bassist John Entwistle's nickname of "Thunderfingers," and deservedly so.

52.Smashing Pumpkins: Today: With Today, Billy Corgan and friends created a power pop masterpiece. While the loud/soft dynamic that was used so masterfully here became overused in no time, this song still stands as one of the songs that used it almost perfectly.

51.Live: Lightning Crashes: This simple chordal ballad was probably the best ballad to come out in the 1990s by any band. It's tone was dark yet hopeful, both lyrically and musically. The song and words were made into one, and it was something most people could truly feel: that swelling of happiness that comes when you hear a truly great song.

50.Metallica: Master of Puppets: Plain and simply, this was one of the most ambitious tracks ever recorded by a heavy metal band, and in many ways, it helped make experimentation "ok" for metal acts. It's an 8 minute long epic that, quite frankly, makes November Rain look positively weak in comparison.

49.Rolling Stones: (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction: What does it say about a song that even when you feel it's over-rated, you still can't place it any lower than #49 on a list like this?

48.Tom Petty: I Won't Back Down: What does it say when a song becomes a singer's true motto? Honesty speaks volumes, and this song speaks volumes about the man who sings it.

47.Led Zeppelin: Heartbreaker: In my mind, the guitar riff to this song is even better than WLL, and not only that, but the guitar solo makes most other Page solos seem almost inferior.

46.Tool: Stinkfist: Technically, Tool is better than 95% of the band's found on this list. They are all amazing musicians, but in terms of "hooks" and such, they don't have many, if any at all. But Stinkfist is just such an amazingly orchestrated song, the way its put together and everything. It honestly blows my mind every time I hear it.

45.Neil Young: Rockin in the Free World:: While most people just sing the chorus as if it's some mindless generic rock song, this song actually has a lot to say. And if it weren't for the terrible NY guitar solo, I'd put it a bit higher.

44.Stone Temple Pilots: Big Empty: Musically, I think this is one of STP's best works. Lyrically, it's only so-so, but it has a great vocal line on the chorus that absolutely, positively makes this song so damn great. (This reminds me, I need to review "Purple" soon)

43.Nirvana: Sliver: Ahhhh, you Nirvana people were getting worried weren't you? Kurt loved pop music, and he loved punk music. While some people would claim he mixed the two a lot more than he liked to admit, I don't think he ever came up with a mix that was as satisfying as Sliver, probably the simplest song he ever wrote musically, and the most ridiculous song he ever wrote lyrically. And yet, it's one of the best he ever wrote. Weird how that works out huh?

42.U2: Pride (In the Name of Love): This, along with two other songs that were given to me on a mixed tape, are what got me into U2 more than anything else the band had done up through the Rattle and Hum era. I love Edge's ringing guitar, and Bono gives an impressive vocal performance that is truly awe-inspiring.

41.The Band: The Weight: Probably one of the most under-appreciated groups ever, The Band were a little bit of rock, folk, and country all rolled into one. The Weight, with it's well known chorus, is a sweet mix of the latter two, and I absolutely adore it

Nood!es
04-10-2006, 06:25 PM
40-21

40.Black Sabbath: War Pigs: Epic in musical scope, grand in design, War Pigs is a song that seems to jump all over the place, and succeeds because of it. And that solo at the end is positively unforgettable.

39.The Doors: Roadhouse Blues: Again, I hate Jim Morrison, but Roadhouse Blues sounds like a band on a musical rampage. I also think it's one of the few times that Morrison actually does not sound like crap.

38.Van Halen: Panama: No, this is not in here merely to make a specific commentator on the last part of list shut up. Even though some people consider Panama to be one of VH's ultimate "sell out" songs, I think it's just a rollicking good tune, and a hell of a good time.

37.Aerosmith: Dream On: The original "power ballad," no matter what anyone says. Such great music, and possibly the best lyrics Steven Tyler ever wrote.

36.U2: Bad: What can one say about Bad that hasn't been said before? I love the heavily accented out of breath delivery that Bono uses on this song, it makes it sound like every word is going to be his last and it sounds all the more emotional.

35.Bruce Springsteen: My Hometown: While some people thought of 'Born in the USA' as Springsteen's ultimate "pop" album, My Hometown was a heartfelt ballad that just fit the times, with Reagan and everything that came with him.

34.Ramones: Blitzkrieg Bop: The "original" punk anthem, a song so fast, so fun, and so furious that it became better known as "that 'hey ho let's go' song that sports teams play on the PA system."

33.The Clash: Train in Vain: Quite simply, the best pure pop song the Clash ever wrote, 3 simple chords and some excellent background playing. It's too bad bands today can't make it seem this easy.

32.Red Hot Chili Peppers: Under the Bridge: One of the most harrowing songs about drug addiction ever written (along with the previously listed 'Bad'). The song drips with pure honesty in it's lyrics, and the music seems to drip with pure emotion. This is the best thing Rick Rubin has given the rock and roll world (if he's to be believed from the RHCP Behind the Music).

31.Def Leppard: Photograph: I can only imagine the comments this will cause. Whatever. That guitar solo? FIRST TAKE. That hook? Just about unbeatable. In fact, I've always thought that the chorus was the weakest part of the song.

30.Nine Inch Nails: Hurt: Very few songs have had such an effect on my psyche without me even knowing it the way 'Hurt' has. It is, in so many ways, a fragile song that has a bit of hope and redemption in it. I respect this song more and more every time I hear it, and I respect Trent Reznor more and more for writing it everytime I hear it.

29.Pearl Jam: Given to Fly: PJ guitarist Mike McCreedy describes this song as "a wave," with it's ebbs and flows. This song helped reaffirm my faith in Pearl Jam, and with good reason. It is by far the best pure anthem to come out in the last 5 years, bar none.

28.Led Zeppelin: Going to California: Oh, I can see it now. "Hey Matt, were you Given to Fly while Going to California?" Hardy har har. Going to California is such a gorgeous song. I really like the simple, yet extremely adept playing that Page does on this song, and I think Plant's vocal performance is splendid.

27.Nirvana: All Apologies: To be quite honest, this is Cobain's finest masterpiece. The melody is genious, and lyrically, I don't think he ever wrote a better song ('You Know You're Right' being possibly the only exception).

26.Pink Floyd: Another Brick in the Wall Part II: The only Pink Floyd song on the list. It is almost impossible to calculate how much this song, and the album it was a part of ("The Wall") influenced other bands and artists, but to say it was great is an extreme understatement. Sorry Jay Z and Missy Elliott, these guys used kids long before you did.

25.Creedance Clearwater Revival: Fortunate Son: Say what you want, but anytime the subject of a military draft comes up in this country, this song is one of the first songs brought up as a strong reminder of why NOT to have a draft. To be able to say that 35 years after it was first released is a big deal, and it goes to show how relevant this song truly is and was.

24.Guns N Roses: Paradise City: A six plus minute long hard rock epic, Paradise City has one of those unforgettable and great hard rock choruses ("take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty"), not to mention some all around fantastic playing but every member of the band.

23.Jimi Hendrix: All Along the Watchtower: Everyone knows that people covering Dylan is a much better thing than Dylan himself performing those same songs. Hendrix made this song what it is, with his fiery and inspired vision of what this song always should have been.

22.Bob Marley: Redemption Song: One of the last major songs Marley wrote before he died, Redemption Song is in effect, the story of his life, and a call to future generations to "sing these songs of freedom." Sing them we do.

21.Metallica: One: First and foremost, this is the greatest true heavy metal song ever put to tape. Yes, it's everyone's "favorite" Metallica song, but that should be looked at as a compliment, not a detriment. This pushed the boundaries of "acceptable" heavy metal in the eyes of true metalheads everywhere, and it's power and influence has yet to be matched.

Nood!es
04-10-2006, 06:26 PM
20-1

20.Beatles: Revolution: A strong melody, good playing, and a song that actually has something to say. For a very long time, it was the only Beatles song I could stand, which is saying a lot given how much I used to just despise them.

19.Buffalo Springfield: For What It's Worth: AKA the "stop, listen, what's that sound" song. Just a fun pop rock song with a memorable hook and a nice easy hummable melody. The Fraggle Rock version kicked a*s too :)

18.The Who: Won't Get Fooled Again: That scream towards the end is piercing in the best way possible. The song also has one of the best recorded jam sessions for a "regular" rock band ever.

17.Lynyrd Skynyrd: Free Bird: There is always some drunk a*s at just about every rock show who screams out either: A)"play some Skynyrd dude!" or B)"FREE BIRD!" And with good reason. Free Bird is probably the quintessential southern rock song.

16.Rolling Stones: Street Fighting Man: I'm sorry, but Jumpin Jack Flash and Brown Sugar have NOTHING on this song. This song just makes me want to get up and DANCE, which granted, is not a pretty sight. This song embodies the best of the Stones' uptempo numbers, period.

15.Black Crowes: My Morning Song: No, not Hard to Handle, or Angels, or Twice as Hard. This song sounds like it was sent from heaven above. I love the guitar riff, and that bridge is positively one of the best bridges ever written. If you need a pick me up, you should look no farther than this song.

14.R.E.M.: Everybody Hurts: I'm not a huge R.E.M. fan. For every song that I think is great, I can find one that's awful. However, even I must admit that I can't find a song that's as bad as this one is good. Such a great emotional number, with Michael Stipe giving probably the best performance of his career.

13.Tom Petty: Free Fallin: I don't know a solitary soul who hates this song. That alone is enough to get it on the list. The fact that it's just 3 simple chords strummed over and over for the most part means that Petty basically took the old adage and did the most he could with it: Keep It Simple Stupid.

12.AC/DC: Highway to Hell: Those opening chords just sound like you're starting on a trip to hell. This is probably the song that most influenced the Back in Black album's sound. And let's face it, a whole lot of people can relate to being on a highway to hell.

11.Pearl Jam: Better Man: I struggled and struggled with where to put this song. The reason I place it so high, besides the fact that I think it's the best song Eddie Vedder ever wrote in regards to hook, is that almost nine years since I first heard it (Easter Sunday 94, the Atlanta concert on the radio), I still have never ever gotten sick of it at any point. Not after 275+ bootleg versions, not after the radio play, not after the whining by other fans. I guess that's enough to put it this high.

10.U2: All I Want Is You: I honestly feel that this is the most romantic, sweetest song ever written. My only complaint is that the production on the Rattle and Hum version blows...otherwise, this might be even higher.

9.Kiss: Rock and Roll All Nite: What is undoubtedly the greatest pure rock and roll anthem ever written and put to record. Can't we all relate to "rock and roll all nite, party every day?" Party on!

8.Bruce Springsteen: Born to Run: Probably the greatest epic "story" song ever written, Born to Run feels alive, passionate, and full of life.

7.Rolling Stones: Wild Horses: This, folks, is by far the best song the Stones ever wrote. It has a country blues feeling to it in a lot of ways, and Mick Jagger doesn't try to over-emote in his singing. Just a great great simple song.

6.Led Zeppelin: Over the Hills and Far Away: One of the best acoustic guitar lines ever. And when the rest of the band kicks in, it's a moment that few rock bands could match. It's just a splendidly put together song.

5.Aerosmith: Walk This Way: On influence alone, this song is top 10. That is probably the best known guitar riff ever. And while some people would say that what it did for rap/rock was a bad thing, most people realize that the doors it broke down was huge. Did I mention that guitar riff kicks a*s?

4.Lynyrd Skynyrd: Sweet Home Alabama: This is probably the song that most challenges Walk This Way for the best known guitar riff or line ever. It's a direct response to Neil Young's "Southern Man," and the fact that it makes such a b*tch out of Young makes it even higher in my book.

3.The Clash: London Calling: If there was nothing else the 2003 Grammy Awards accomplished, it was a reminder that this song was the most urgent and important anit-war song ever put to tape.

2.The Who: Baba O'Riley: From the keyboard/synthesizer introduction, to the power chords, to the drumming of Keith Moon, to the unforgettable lyrics inspired by Woodstock ("teenage wasteland...we're all wasted!"), Baba O'Riley is an anthem that will forever live on.

And the greatest rock song ever, numero uno, is:

Party on Wayne, Party On Garth

Yes

#1.Queen: Bohemian Rhapsody: In terms of scope, silliness, fun, and bravado, NO song has it over this one. To be honest, I had Baba as #1, but after watching Wayne's World recently, I had to bump this up. It is by far the most fun song to sing along to at the top of your lungs while driving.

Well, that was rather anti-climatic, wasn't it? Oh well, thank you for reading anyway. Maybe I'll someday get the motivation to do the 100 best albums or something. For now, I'm heading to bed, because I'm exhausted.

JohnnyNemesis
04-10-2006, 06:27 PM
This list is a horrible, but in a completely different way. Rather than horrible in Jack's "This shit makes NO FUCKING SENSE" way, this one is horrible in the "this is what EVERYONE thinks, and it's so goddamn pretentious" way.

0r4ng3
04-10-2006, 06:30 PM
That's not true. Stairway to Heaven is nowhere to be found.

Still, not a great list. Can one even make such a list? I don't think it's possible.

That's not a challenge, by the way, so nobody should try.

Nood!es
04-10-2006, 06:33 PM
I did get it from Epinions. It was the best one I found. Stairway wasnt on any other ones that i searched. But it is way better than the other list. He put D12 and Jeff Foxworthy on his.

coke_a_holic
04-10-2006, 06:37 PM
That's a 100 best rock song list. There was a lack of other genres. Pass.

JohnnyNemesis
04-10-2006, 06:38 PM
He put D12 and Jeff Foxworthy on his.

Yeah, well Jane's Addiction and Cheap Trick (TWICE) are on this one. *shudders*

Nood!es
04-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Ehhhhhhh. This is true.

Mr. Noodles
04-10-2006, 06:47 PM
#1.Queen: Bohemian Rhapsody: In terms of scope, silliness, fun, and bravado, NO song has it over this one. To be honest, I had Baba as #1, but after watching Wayne's World recently, I had to bump this up. It is by far the most fun song to sing along to at the top of your lungs while driving.

Well, that was rather anti-climatic, wasn't it? Oh well, thank you for reading anyway. Maybe I'll someday get the motivation to do the 100 best albums or something. For now, I'm heading to bed, because I'm exhausted.
YES! I love this song more than anyother song ever made. It's that good.
Yes, I do mean that.

Nood!es
04-10-2006, 06:54 PM
You prefer that to Stairway?

Mr. Noodles
04-10-2006, 07:12 PM
You prefer that to Stairway?
Shockingly, yes.

Betty
04-10-2006, 07:47 PM
This list is a horrible, but in a completely different way. Rather than horrible in Jack's "This shit makes NO FUCKING SENSE" way, this one is horrible in the "this is what EVERYONE thinks, and it's so goddamn pretentious" way.

I don't know, I really think that a "100 best songs" list should BE EXACTLY what everybody thinks. Unless I misunderstand you. The problem with this list is it's totally this dude's opinion.

I mean, if I were to try and make a rock list based on popular opinion, I'd include:

Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody (this was a good call)
The Eagles - Hotel California
Don MacLean - American Pie
Paul McCartney and Wings - Band on the Run
Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing
Eric Clapton - Layla
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
The Doors - Light My Fire

Stuff like that. Maybe I'm biased, but those seem like much more universal choices (that I happen to enjoy as well)

Then you'd get your Bowie, Neil Young, Stones, REM, Clash, Dylan, Beatles... but I can't think of universally loved songs for those bands. There are a ton of artists and songs that are up there. Radiohead, Oasis (in their day), RHCP, RATM even (I don't like 'em), Blondie, and on and on and on.

It's dumb how all the lists always seem to have a selection of artists with about 12 songs apiece.

T-6005
04-10-2006, 08:12 PM
This list is rubbish.

JohnnyNemesis
04-10-2006, 08:16 PM
I don't know, I really think that a "100 best songs" list should BE EXACTLY what everybody thinks.

A general best songs list, yeah. But a credible one usually doesn't because...well, the masses are idiots, and we know that. I should have made a distinction between "thinks" and "likes" though.

Generally, I feel that the impact of a song made on any given time, any particular location, any marking culture, etc, should be the best criteria for best song lists, since those are the ways in which people typically celebrate songs.

DeAtHsTaR
04-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Better than any other I've seen, but not great.

notoriousdoc
04-11-2006, 05:15 AM
WERES D OFSPRING!F!! BASTRAD!q1

Free bird should be higher.

The list is complete shit though so it doesn't matter.

el_monkey
04-11-2006, 05:24 AM
hm... I don't like those lists. I think you cannot call a song "good" or "bad". you just can say wether you like it or not.
I very miss a bob dylan song on this list, if this a rock-list ( and it seems so to me ;) ). bob dylan is just too important for rock music.

coke_a_holic
04-11-2006, 11:59 AM
I feel like I have to state once again, THIS IS NOT A 100 BEST ROCK SONGS LIST. The people here are too biased and say, "all good songs are rock." Yeah, fuck you, if this was a real "100 best songs" list, then you can be damn well sure that there would be plenty more pop, jazz, blues, funk, ska, R&B, and millions of other genres.

Seriously, people need to get over the fact that the best songs in the world don't all fit in one genre of music.

Jakebert
04-11-2006, 12:34 PM
67.R.E.M.: Nightswimming: In my mind, one of the most overlooked tracks on the band's Automatic for the People record, even though it was released to radio as a single. I love this song to death, the piano melody is superb and Stipe's voice is chill inducing.

I didn't really pay much attention to the rest of the list, but this made me happy to see it getting recognition. It's an amazing song with one of the best piano parts ever written, but it never seems to get any credit.

XYlophonetreeZ
04-11-2006, 04:08 PM
it never seems to get any credit.

I very much disagree, and that was actually one of the things on the list that made me roll my eyes. I can't believe the list seriously called it the most overlooked song on that entire album. What kinds of drugs are they on? It gets tons of credit. That's probably the favorite R.E.M. song of more than half of the R.E.M. fans I know. What's worse is that lots of them seem to think they're going out on a limb by saying so.

As for me, I like the song, and the piano is very much awesome in it, but the vocal melody seems thrown together and only takes the most obvious patterns following along with the music.

JohnnyNemesis
04-11-2006, 04:40 PM
I very much disagree, and that was actually one of the things on the list that made me roll my eyes. I can't believe the list seriously called it the most overlooked song on that entire album. What kinds of drugs are they on? It gets tons of credit. That's probably the favorite R.E.M. song of more than half of the R.E.M. fans I know. What's worse is that lots of them seem to think they're going out on a limb by saying so.

Same here, except I can't stand the song. But Nightswimming is one of those songs that's constantly celebrated far too much.

Andy
04-11-2006, 04:40 PM
I've never heard it. I'm so lame.

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-11-2006, 06:04 PM
I feel like I have to state once again, THIS IS NOT A 100 BEST ROCK SONGS LIST. The people here are too biased and say, "all good songs are rock." Yeah, fuck you, if this was a real "100 best songs" list, then you can be damn well sure that there would be plenty more pop, jazz, blues, funk, ska, R&B, and millions of other genres.

Seriously, people need to get over the fact that the best songs in the world don't all fit in one genre of music.

Give this man a medal.

And I've never heard Nightswimming either.

Thomas
04-11-2006, 07:19 PM
That's not true. Stairway to Heaven is nowhere to be found.

Exactly what I was thinking the whole time.

Betty
04-11-2006, 07:21 PM
If I were to choose an REM song, it would be hands down "Losing My Religion." So my opinion wins. Sorry.

All About Eve
04-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Meh, Losing my Religion is good, and definitely one of the more popular, but I like Animal best.

Jakebert
04-12-2006, 11:52 AM
If I were to choose an REM song, it would be hands down "Losing My Religion." So my opinion wins. Sorry.

No. Popular does not equal good. They have many better songs.

As for Nightswimming, I've never heard/seen it being praised outside of an Automatic For the People review. But then again, R.E.M. doesn't get much credit here.

WebDudette
04-12-2006, 12:08 PM
I stopped at,

97.Guns N Roses: November Rain: It's not often that an 8 minute epic becomes a band's biggest hit. But such was the case with GNR and November Rain. I've always felt this song was over-rated...it is certainly a great song, but I don't think it's top 50 material.

I absolutely hate Guns N Roses and this song is the worste.

BREAK
04-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Damn, white people suck.

Betty
04-12-2006, 01:01 PM
No. Popular does not equal good. They have many better songs.

As for Nightswimming, I've never heard/seen it being praised outside of an Automatic For the People review. But then again, R.E.M. doesn't get much credit here.

I didn't choose it because it's popular, I chose it because I hold it very dear to my heart. On top of just loving how it goes, I can really feel an element of passion to it. Anyway, I was being sarcastic - thanks for calling me on claiming "popular = good." I can't believe I have been so misled.

Nightswimming is decent, but it just doesn't do it for me.

And REM gets a pretty good amount of praise on these forums, I'd say.

XYlophonetreeZ
04-12-2006, 07:06 PM
I stopped at,

I absolutely hate Guns N Roses and this song is the worste.
How can you think it's a great song and at the same time absolutely hate Guns n' Roses and think it's their worst? Like, HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT MAKE SENSE!?!?!? I was just about to reply professing my desire to sodomize you, but then I saw that you said it's a "great song." Don't be a pussy. November Rain sucks. It sucks. If you hate the band, don't say it's a great song. Say it with me now. Deep breaths. We're gonna say it together. Ready now, kid? One, two, three...

NOVEMBER RAIN SUCKS!!!!!

That_Guy91
04-12-2006, 07:10 PM
How can you think it's a great song and at the same time absolutely hate Guns n' Roses and think it's their worst? Like, HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT MAKE SENSE!?!?!? I was just about to reply professing my desire to sodomize you, but then I saw that you said it's a "great song." Don't be a pussy. November Rain sucks. It sucks. If you hate the band, don't say it's a great song. Say it with me now. Deep breaths. We're gonna say it together. Ready now, kid? One, two, three...

NOVEMBER RAIN SUCKS!!!!!
...that part was copied/pasted from the list.

XYlophonetreeZ
04-12-2006, 07:12 PM
...Oh. Oh yeah. Well, in that case my desire to sodomize Pilz-E is only held back by his inability to quote properly.

ofsmurfsandpixies
04-22-2006, 04:32 AM
the only good bit was where you mentioned waynes world at the end-i despise queen and kiss,how the fuck did kiss get on that list?

Jakebert
04-22-2006, 07:37 AM
the only good bit was where you mentioned waynes world at the end-i despise queen and kiss,how the fuck did kiss get on that list?

If you seriously think that Queen sucks, then you need to just leave now because bad taste in music will not be tolerated.

Okay, bad taste in music is embraced here by some people, but you still suck.

ofsmurfsandpixies
04-26-2006, 09:18 AM
If you seriously think that Queen sucks, then you need to just leave now because bad taste in music will not be tolerated.

Okay, bad taste in music is embraced here by some people, but you still suck.

queen do suck...really bad