PDA

View Full Version : Spell Check for BBS

endlesst0m
04-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Imagine if there was spell check for the BBS. I think that would be a good idea.

...As far as I know, there isn't one already. That would be really embarassing if there was,and I just didn't know about it.

T-6005
04-10-2006, 10:54 PM
Personally, I'd find being unable to type at least semi-properly embarrassing.

coke_a_holic
04-10-2006, 11:30 PM
I already made a thread about this, Endy already discredited the idea.

Endymion
04-11-2006, 12:14 PM
I already made a thread about this, Endy already discredited the idea.
thanks. i've gotta go now, otherwise i'd dig up the link. basically, every semi-major browser has in-line spell check plugins. doing spell checking client side is a better idea than server side anyway, as it allows for user-specific dictionaries rather than per-site dictionaries, as well as language options.

Betty
04-11-2006, 02:25 PM
I would probably disable all spell-checking and auto-correcting in my word processing program completely if it didn't so conveniently correct me everytime I typed "teh". Damn hasty middle finger.

It's depressing. People in university get by because all of the work they hand in has been spell/grammar checked so is at least passable in that regard. And then as soon as they write something hand-written or get on a program like MSN, they are exposed as the poor spelling frauds they really are. It likely removes some of the desire to learn how to do it correctly as it is not necessary.