PDA

View Full Version : My Review of "Splinter"

endlesst0m
04-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Neocon- Definatly a great intro song. In fact, it's probably one of the only intro songs on any CD that I never skip. Neocon sets a very war-like and serious mood. At first, the melody in this song didn't strike me as something that would get stuck in my head, but I was wrong. I can imagine this song being played at a hockey game. 5/5 (out of 5, since it's just an intro)

The Noose- This is great punk song with cool tempo changes and somewhat of an interesting structure. The guitar, bass and drums all sound incredible in this song. Dexter's vocals are catchy as well, but it took me a few listens to get used to them, because of fast Dexter is singing. Also, if the chorus rhymed a little better("And enemies are rising"), it would probably sound smoother, as rhyming usually does when fast, rhythmic vocals are involved. But this is the only flaw, if you could call it that, that I could possibly think of in this amazing song. Intense. 9.5/10

Long Way Home- A high speed, high energy punk song that falls well short of greatness due mostly to a boring chorus. In fact, the vocals for the chorus are probably comparable to how the chorus of "Something to Believe in" would sound without all the cool back-up vocals. However, the verses in this song, despite having some lame lyrics, are really catchy. If you listen closely, you can even hear an extra guitar part at the little crescendos in the verses. This song has great energy, and a cool drum solo, but the lame lyrics and chorus take away from it greatly. 7/10

Hit That- A cool pop-rock song that fortunately didn't get quite enough air-time to make me too sick of hearing it. Hit That is loaded with catchy riffs and hooks. The song is a little shallow and poppy, but the only real problem I have with it is that I don't enjoy pop-rock songs that much. Especially after I hear them enough. Otherwise I would probably give it a 9 or 10. Very well written and catchy. 7/10

Race Against Myself- A very melodic mid-tempo rock song. The riffs and melodies are great, but for some reason, I have a feeling this song would sound better if it were played at a slightly faster tempo. The song just sounds a little too tame for me, and if I'm not in the right mood, I'll probably skip it. The lyrics aren't anything amazing, but are sung so emotionally that it makes up for it. Race Against Myself is a really powerful and melodic song, and the ghostly back-up vocals and cool bridge section are definatly a plus. A very good song, especially if you're in the right mood for it. 8/10

Can't Get My(Head Around You)- A song with a good old fashion really catchy Offspring guitar riff. This song instantly gets stuck in your head after the first time you hear it, as it's pure catchy-ness from beggining to end. From the cool plam muted guitar riff, to the suspensful rest at the bridge, to the guitar lead with the pedal effects, this song rocks. It's a little short but I can't imagine this song going in any other direction, so I guess it fine. The lyrics are decent overall, but there's a few corny lines involved. But no matter, it's still a really cool song. 8/10

The Worst Hangover Ever- This is another song with vocals that are sure to get stuck in your head at some point. I thought this song was really annoying at first, especially the vocals (Da da-da da-da da da) but I grew to like it...well, a little bit. This songs borders pop and ska, but unfortunatley, leans more towards pop due to some overproduction. An annoying, but decent song, even if it is probably the low point of the album. 6.5/10

Never Gonna Find Me- This is the kind of fast punk song that hardcore fans have been begging for more of. The intro is really cool, especially when the drums come in. The heavy guitar riffs in this song sound like something that Fletcher from Pennywise might come up with. The lyrics in this song are probably some of the best in the album, and the vocals are very powerful, despite sounding a little whiny at the part before the breakdown. The outro to this song sounds awesome, and interestingly enough, it blends into the next song on the cd, even though I was kind of feeling another chorus. Overall, it's a really good song. 8/10

Lightning Rod- Along with The Noose, this is probably the best song on the album. The lyrics are good, and the vocals are catchy as hell. The drums are also really cool, especially the unique crash/ride cymbal beat in the pre-chorus. I love everything in this song, from the smooth tempo changes, to the intense guitar riffs. 9.5/10

Spare Me the Details- A catchy, well written pop rock song featuring acoustic guitars. The chorus seemed a little whiny at first, but I eventually got used to it, and liked it. I like how the electric guitar eventually makes its way into this song at the very refreshing bridge. The lyrics are cool too. 8/10

Da Hui- This song is a pure adrenaline rush. The drums, guitars, bass and vocals all sound really intense. I could care less about the subject matter of this song, but it still rocks. I especially like the guitar solo, and the little riff at the very end of the song. This song rules, but it's just too short to give an elite score. 8.5/10

When You're in Prison- I'm going to say the same thing everyone says about this song- it's only worth hearing once. After that, it just takes up space. 2/10

Corpse
04-12-2006, 12:38 PM
I would pretty much agree with everything you say, but I happen to like when you're in prison :p

Emily_offspring_fan
04-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Very good review. And Neocon, to be an intro, is just great.

H1T_That
04-12-2006, 02:49 PM
why the fuck do you have the time of day to do that?

Ninty Man
04-12-2006, 03:14 PM
I disagree with Worst Hangover and Dahui... and maybe a little bit for Long Way Home (I love the drums in there XD)

YODAvid
04-12-2006, 03:16 PM

thats exactly what i was thinking.

H1T_That
04-12-2006, 03:20 PM
thats exactly what i was thinking.

i meen, fair enough a paragraph review of the whole album, but all that for each song. Terrible.

jacknife737
04-12-2006, 03:25 PM
nice review

icklebabygremlin
04-12-2006, 03:30 PM
I would pretty much agree with everything you say, but I happen to like when you're in prison :p
same here...i dont know about when your in prison it has grown on me

T-6005
04-12-2006, 03:34 PM
Your review of When You're in Prison is horrible. You suck. Da Hui was lame and more repetitive than Hit That.

I'm not going to keep going because I'd just steamroll your review into the ground.

endlesst0m
04-12-2006, 06:23 PM
Your review of When You're in Prison is horrible. You suck. Da Hui was lame and more repetitive than Hit That.

I'm not going to keep going because I'd just steamroll your review into the ground.

No you wouldn't, you jackass. And Da Hui isn't more repetitive than Hit That. In fact, structurally, they are both about the same, being verse-chorus verse-chorus songs.

Mr. Noodles
04-12-2006, 06:28 PM
I liked the review.
I agree with the guy above me, too. Da Hui is good, it isn't repetitive.

BIG Nicky
04-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Wow I don't think I've met anyone who liked Splinter so much to write a great review. Nice job, Splinter rocks on!!! :p

endlesst0m
04-12-2006, 07:49 PM

I couldn't sleep last night.

Do any of you disagree with any of the ratings?

Tired_Of_You
04-12-2006, 07:58 PM
I disagree with most of them.

Mr. Noodles
04-12-2006, 08:00 PM
I couldn't sleep last night.

Do any of you disagree with any of the ratings?
Nah, I really like Splinter. Yes, I mean it.
Except for one thing! I like When You're In Prision. It makes me laugh.
Yes, I'm serious!

T-6005
04-12-2006, 08:08 PM
No you wouldn't, you jackass. And Da Hui isn't more repetitive than Hit That. In fact, structurally, they are both about the same, being verse-chorus verse-chorus songs.
There's a lot more to repetition than whether you're in the verse or the chorus. The instruments in question, etc. Clearly you need to brush up on this, because you're writing like you've no idea what you're going on about. Because, to use your rather prissy term "in fact," the structure isn't the same. Pay attention and see if you can spot the difference.

Da Hui was far more repetitive to me because it had far less variation between the verse and chorus. Furthermore, Hit That had more than just a simple verse and chorus progression - it has a lot more dynamic variety.

JohnnyNemesis
04-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Splinter gets way too much hate. I think it's an absolutely wonderful album, and Hit That is very, very good stuff.

The review was decent.

DeAtHsTaR
04-12-2006, 09:22 PM
I think that if Splinter was about 15 minutes longer it could have been one of their best albums.

Thomas
04-12-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm too lazy to read it, but I just want to agree with JN here when I say that Splinter was a fantastic album and Hit That isn't as bad as everyone thinks it is.

JohnnyNemesis
04-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Hey! Your screen name is the same as my girlfriends last name.

No one wants you alive.

Llamas
04-12-2006, 09:57 PM
I read the ratings, but couldn't be bothered to read the song reviews... I agree mostly with the ratings.

wazzup22
04-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Im going to be extremely honest, I think that review is a bit of an over statement of the album. Sorry but thats just my opinion.

Llamas
04-12-2006, 10:09 PM

lyrically, da hui is HORRIBLY repetitive.

1. I WON'T FUCK WITH DA HUI

2. BECAUSE DA HUI WILL FUCK WITH ME

3. I WON'T TAKE OFF ON DA HUI

2. BECAUSE DA HUI WILL FUCK WITH ME

get the picture? the only part of hit that that repeats is the chorus. Not to mention the instrument rhythm. In da hui, it's NOTHING but straight 16th notes on the same chords the entire time, with no dynamic change or rhythm change. The drum part is also the same thing all the way through. Hit That, however, has changing rhythm that's much more interesting than straight 16ths. Not to mention, the dynamic contrasts between verse and chorus, and especially that of the bridge.

I like da hui, but it really is very repetitive.

And I think I changed my mind on agreeing with your ratings... you gave worst hangover, da hui, and spare me too much credit... also, neocon (sure it's out of 5, however 5/5 is saying it's perfect. not a perfect intro.). Head aroung you and race against myself deserve more credit than never gonna find me and spare me the details. also, da hui is better than HAY and RAM?? hell no. Oh, and WYIP is not that much worse than worst hangover.

Llamas
04-12-2006, 10:10 PM
That is why America is so fat. They are to damn lazy.

1. I'm not fat :)
2. It's not cause they're lazy, it's cause they eat like shit.
3. I'm working on a paper, which takes far more effort than reading some review that I don't care about ;)

endlesst0m
04-13-2006, 12:08 AM
There's a lot more to repetition than whether you're in the verse or the chorus. The instruments in question, etc. Clearly you need to brush up on this, because you're writing like you've no idea what you're going on about. Because, to use your rather prissy term "in fact," the structure isn't the same. Pay attention and see if you can spot the difference.

Da Hui was far more repetitive to me because it had far less variation between the verse and chorus. Furthermore, Hit That had more than just a simple verse and chorus progression - it has a lot more dynamic variety.

I just don't think either of them are songs that bring the word "repetitive" to mind. Who hears a minute and a half punk song and calls it repetitive? That's ridiculous.

And it's not that I need to brush up on music knowledge, it's that you didn't elaborate. Calling a song "repetitive" could mean a lot of different things. As far as I'm concerned, "repetitive" usually means parts of the song repeat too much, so that's what I started discussing. Some might say that Da Hui is not diverse, but calling it repetitive just doesn't make any sense to me. It's a minute and a half long, but is composed of at least 5 different parts.

Why are you giving me such a hard time about Hit That? I explained why I gave it the score that I did, even though I agreed that it's a very well-written song. I thought the review I wrote was very good, and I didn't appreciate you saying "I suck". But whatever.

JohnnyNemesis
04-13-2006, 12:10 AM
Someone break out the calendar and mark this earthshattering occurence: endlesst0m is completely right.

endlesst0m
04-13-2006, 12:13 AM
Someone break out the calendar and mark this earthshattering occurence: endlesst0m is completely right.

Damn, and I was seriously just about to post something like "doesn't anyone EVER have my back about anything on these boards"?

Thomas
04-13-2006, 12:15 AM

:eek: OMG!

The meaning of life
04-13-2006, 01:53 AM
I admit that i like Hit that, not the keyboard part but i like a lot the guitar in this song.

But what i like in this song is the lyrics who are absolutely right all the way...

OnSpring!
04-13-2006, 01:56 AM
a good baffa

Hypodermic_89
04-13-2006, 04:56 AM
Very good review indeed. I agree on every song except long way home. I think the song has awesome lyrics, awesome riffs and awesome everything. I would've given it a 9.5

HeadAroundU
04-13-2006, 02:04 PM
I like it except I would give to
Neocon: 3/5
Hit that: 8/10
When you're in prison: 5/5

Am I the only one who loves Hit That's drums?
Da hui is a great song! Very charismatic!

endlesst0m
04-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Very good review indeed. I agree on every song except long way home. I think the song has awesome lyrics, awesome riffs and awesome everything. I would've given it a 9.5

The two note melody for the chorus worked in "All I Want" but it just sucked in "Long Way Home". I also hate how Dexter has to stutter the words just to make them rhythmically fit in the verse ("I've got nowhere to go"). It just bothers me, but maybe it doesn't bother you.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
04-13-2006, 10:01 PM
I basicly always laugh when i hear "When You're In Prison" ... so i'd give it more like 5/10... but that's just me, i'll admit i skip it sometimes.

Llamas
04-13-2006, 10:24 PM
The two note melody for the chorus worked in "All I Want" but it just sucked in "Long Way Home". I also hate how Dexter has to stutter the words just to make them rhythmically fit in the verse ("I've got nowhere to go"). It just bothers me, but maybe it doesn't bother you.

you know, I could never pinpoint what it was about long way home that didn't quite set right with me... and I think you just hit it. I like the fact that it kind of goes back to some older sounds, and reminds me of something that might've been on "ignition", but the chorus is boring, and you're right, the words seem so chopped and so didactic...

pretty fly 88
04-13-2006, 11:26 PM
Neocon- Definatly a great intro song. In fact, it's probably one of the only intro songs on any CD that I never skip. Neocon sets a very war-like and serious mood. At first, the melody in this song didn't strike me as something that would get stuck in my head, but I was wrong. I can imagine this song being played at a hockey game. 5/5 (out of 5, since it's just an intro)

The Noose- This is great punk song with cool tempo changes and somewhat of an interesting structure. The guitar, bass and drums all sound incredible in this song. Dexter's vocals are catchy as well, but it took me a few listens to get used to them, because of fast Dexter is singing. Also, if the chorus rhymed a little better("And enemies are rising"), it would probably sound smoother, as rhyming usually does when fast, rhythmic vocals are involved. But this is the only flaw, if you could call it that, that I could possibly think of in this amazing song. Intense. 9.5/10

Long Way Home- A high speed, high energy punk song that falls well short of greatness due mostly to a boring chorus. In fact, the vocals for the chorus are probably comparable to how the chorus of "Something to Believe in" would sound without all the cool back-up vocals. However, the verses in this song, despite having some lame lyrics, are really catchy. If you listen closely, you can even hear an extra guitar part at the little crescendos in the verses. This song has great energy, and a cool drum solo, but the lame lyrics and chorus take away from it greatly. 7/10

Hit That- A cool pop-rock song that fortunately didn't get quite enough air-time to make me too sick of hearing it. Hit That is loaded with catchy riffs and hooks. The song is a little shallow and poppy, but the only real problem I have with it is that I don't enjoy pop-rock songs that much. Especially after I hear them enough. Otherwise I would probably give it a 9 or 10. Very well written and catchy. 7/10

Race Against Myself- A very melodic mid-tempo rock song. The riffs and melodies are great, but for some reason, I have a feeling this song would sound better if it were played at a slightly faster tempo. The song just sounds a little too tame for me, and if I'm not in the right mood, I'll probably skip it. The lyrics aren't anything amazing, but are sung so emotionally that it makes up for it. Race Against Myself is a really powerful and melodic song, and the ghostly back-up vocals and cool bridge section are definatly a plus. A very good song, especially if you're in the right mood for it. 8/10

Can't Get My(Head Around You)- A song with a good old fashion really catchy Offspring guitar riff. This song instantly gets stuck in your head after the first time you hear it, as it's pure catchy-ness from beggining to end. From the cool plam muted guitar riff, to the suspensful rest at the bridge, to the guitar lead with the pedal effects, this song rocks. It's a little short but I can't imagine this song going in any other direction, so I guess it fine. The lyrics are decent overall, but there's a few corny lines involved. But no matter, it's still a really cool song. 8/10

Lightning Rod- Along with The Noose, this is probably the best song on the album. The lyrics are good, and the vocals are catchy as hell. The drums are also really cool, especially the unique crash/ride cymbal beat in the pre-chorus. I love everything in this song, from the smooth tempo changes, to the intense guitar riffs. 9.5/10

I don't understand why people like Neocon, The Noose, Race Against Myself, and Lighning Rod. Neocon is not one of their best intros by any means and should've been left of the album, and the other 3 I just can't get into. As for Long Way Home, I actually like the chorus. I can see how people could find it annoying, but I actually think it's fun if you listen to it enough, and I'd give it a 9.5/10. Hit That still gets radio play every once in a while where I live, but it's not overplayed, so I'd give that a 10/10. And (Can't Get My) Head Around You? I know it's a little short, but I actually like the length. 10/10 for me.

endlesst0m
04-14-2006, 12:39 AM
you know, I could never pinpoint what it was about long way home that didn't quite set right with me... and I think you just hit it. I like the fact that it kind of goes back to some older sounds, and reminds me of something that might've been on "ignition", but the chorus is boring, and you're right, the words seem so chopped and so didactic...

But my god, I LOVE the quiet, almost unoticable extra guitar part at the little cresendos in the verse. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard that. Ever notice that?

Edit- Listen for it everytime he says "On and on..."

Llamas
04-14-2006, 08:41 AM
there's not really a crescendo at "on and on", but yeah, I've heard that little dancing guitar part in the back. There are parts of the song that I really like... it's not the best, I mean it gets probably a 7/10 for me.

endlesst0m
04-14-2006, 09:56 AM
there's not really a crescendo at "on and on", but yeah, I've heard that little dancing guitar part in the back. There are parts of the song that I really like... it's not the best, I mean it gets probably a 7/10 for me.

Eh, I'm a drummer...if you listen to the cymbal, it is a cresendo.

Edit- Actually, now that I listen to it again, it isn't really a cresendo, he just kind of opens the high-hat more, at the second verse.

But whatever, I freaked out the first time I heard that guitar part!

Llamas
04-14-2006, 03:40 PM
haha, it's all cool ;) the guitar part you can't really hear in some speakers. but my stereo and computer speakers are great so I can definitely hear it... it's pretty sweet.

German Andres
04-14-2006, 05:04 PM
You were too bored to do that review, weren`t you? But I have to say it was exellent, I totally agree with you. There is one thing: I like When you are in Prison. :D
Congratulations

Ninty Man
04-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Many start bitching here, so:

I dislike Race against myself and the worst hangover ever

I hate Da Hui and when you're in prison

And I love the other ones... and that bastard who told that he can't understand why we like The Noose... god, you gotta be kidding