PDA

View Full Version : Smash Review

.:SMASH:.
04-13-2006, 02:47 AM
meh i got bored and i saw a splinter review thread and i thouhgt this could kill off some time.

1. Time To Relax - a good intro by the offspring. i still find myself saying it word for word whenever i put on the cd. 4/5

2. Nitro (Youth Energy) - this song has an awesome drum intro, and the guitar is that offspring sound you love to hear. the lyrics are alright, but the vocals are kinda outta place, which bums me out, but i couldn't do a better job so i'm not gonna complain. this song also has the trademark dexter screaming solo im pretty sure all fans like to hear. 8/10

3. Bad Habit - a song about road rage. the guitar riff in this song is very good and the vocals are very well put together. the build up to the "stupid dumbshit goddamn motherfucker" is a highlight of the song, which is really good for the theme of road rage, and it just sounds super mega. the only downside to the song is how long it takes to get to the song with the boring bass riff. that makes me sad :( . 9/10

4. Gotta Get Away - personally not a favorite. i think this song way overrated. i find it boring, the only part i like about it is the catchy chorus. i often skip this track on the greatest hits cd. thats just my opinion though.5/10

5. Genocide - one of the best songs on the cd and by the offspring. amazing guitar riff that i have always been in love with and im sure alot of fans are aswell. there is not a single fault in this song and the lyrics are just so good and so true. this song truely deserves 10/10

6. Something To Believe In - this song isn't bad. if it wasn't for the good back up vocals it would be pretty gay. the song is sloppy but the lyrics and back up vocals make up for it. 6/10

7. Come Out And Play - definately one of offspring's best songs. the mexican guitar riff is great along with the rest of the riffs. you gotta love the in your face lyrics in the chorus. the song is interesting all the way through and a great song for head banging. 10/10

8. Self Esteem - the song that truely kick started offspring's carrer. a legendary punk song that many people know and like. the la la la la la la la la la la at the start is weird but it works so well. the lyrics in the song i often use in real life situations. the song has an interesting story behind it. i find it slow but very good. 9.5/10

9. It'll Be A Long Time - very good lyrics in this song but the vocals are very sloppy. besides the vocals, the song isn't that imaginative (talking about guitars, bass and drums). i like it though, and i never skip it 7/10

10. Killboy Powerhead- who doesn't enjoy this song??? it is really catchy, and the vocal work is good. though i don't understand what the song is really about i give it a 7.5/10

11. What Happened To You? - really good guitar and vocal work in this song. i can relate to this song and i enjoy singing along to the catchy lyrics. 8/10

12. So Alone - i hate this song. i think it's a piece of crap. very boring and even the back up vocals turn me off. i frequently skip this song and i think offspring could've written a way better song or made this one better with no trouble at all. 1/10

13. Not The One - this song was good and true. dexter is NOT the one who did all that shit. the wisdom in this song should be recognised. (if you havn't realised i'm being sarcastic yet, i'm telling you now). other than that, the song is reasonablly catchy and a good punk rock song. (if you thought i was also being sarcastic there, you are an idiot) 5/10

14. Smash - a great finishing song. the lyrics are strong, catchy and in your face which i love. an awesome song to listen to when you're pissed off 9/10

OnSpring!
04-13-2006, 04:14 AM
I know, i know for sure....that life is beautiful around the world...
Your review is decent...nothing more.
Sincerely i prefer the splinter review of the other fan... :) :eek: :mad:

H1T_That
04-13-2006, 05:23 PM
is this a new craze?

bd007h
04-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Gotta Get Away a 5/10? you're a fucking idiot

Hux
04-13-2006, 06:07 PM
I could see how you find the verses in Gotta Get Away because it's a soft song but personally I love the entire song. The chorus is indeed the best bit.

JohnnyNemesis
04-13-2006, 06:57 PM
So Alone gets too much hate. It's one of my favorite Offspring songs.

Gotta Get Away would get a 6.5/10 from me, but when I'm in the right mood, it gets a 10/10.

This review is horrible though. Just really poorly written.

Thomas
04-13-2006, 07:03 PM
7. Come Out And Play - definately one of offspring's best songs. the mexican guitar riff is great along with the rest of the riffs. you gotta love the in your face lyrics in the chorus. the song is interesting all the way through and a great song for head banging. 10/10

What the hell do you mean by mexican guitar riff?

Yeah, that review pretty much sucked. All the best songs got bad ratings and al the not as great songs were overrated. *slaps wrist*

endlesst0m
04-13-2006, 07:10 PM
meh i got bored and i saw a splinter review thread and i thouhgt this could kill off some time.

1. Time To Relax - a good intro by the offspring. i still find myself saying it word for word whenever i put on the cd. 4/5

2. Nitro (Youth Energy) - this song has an awesome drum intro, and the guitar is that offspring sound you love to hear. the lyrics are alright, but the vocals are kinda outta place, which bums me out, but i couldn't do a better job so i'm not gonna complain. this song also has the trademark dexter screaming solo im pretty sure all fans like to hear. 8/10

3. Bad Habit - a song about road rage. the guitar riff in this song is very good and the vocals are very well put together. the build up to the "stupid dumbshit goddamn motherfucker" is a highlight of the song, which is really good for the theme of road rage, and it just sounds super mega. the only downside to the song is how long it takes to get to the song with the boring bass riff. that makes me sad :( . 9/10

4. Gotta Get Away - personally not a favorite. i think this song way overrated. i find it boring, the only part i like about it is the catchy chorus. i often skip this track on the greatest hits cd. thats just my opinion though.5/10

5. Genocide - one of the best songs on the cd and by the offspring. amazing guitar riff that i have always been in love with and im sure alot of fans are aswell. there is not a single fault in this song and the lyrics are just so good and so true. this song truely deserves 10/10

6. Something To Believe In - this song isn't bad. if it wasn't for the good back up vocals it would be pretty gay. the song is sloppy but the lyrics and back up vocals make up for it. 6/10

8. Self Esteem - the song that truely kick started offspring's carrer. a legendary punk song that many people know and like. the la la la la la la la la la la at the start is weird but it works so well. the lyrics in the song i often use in real life situations. the song has an interesting story behind it. i find it slow but very good. 9.5/10

9. It'll Be A Long Time - very good lyrics in this song but the vocals are very sloppy. besides the vocals, the song isn't that imaginative (talking about guitars, bass and drums). i like it though, and i never skip it 7/10

10. Killboy Powerhead- who doesn't enjoy this song??? it is really catchy, and the vocal work is good. though i don't understand what the song is really about i give it a 7.5/10

11. What Happened To You? - really good guitar and vocal work in this song. i can relate to this song and i enjoy singing along to the catchy lyrics. 8/10

12. So Alone - i hate this song. i think it's a piece of crap. very boring and even the back up vocals turn me off. i frequently skip this song and i think offspring could've written a way better song or made this one better with no trouble at all. 1/10

13. Not The One - this song was good and true. dexter is NOT the one who did all that shit. the wisdom in this song should be recognised. (if you havn't realised i'm being sarcastic yet, i'm telling you now). other than that, the song is reasonablly catchy and a good punk rock song. (if you thought i was also being sarcastic there, you are an idiot) 5/10

14. Smash - a great finishing song. the lyrics are strong, catchy and in your face which i love. an awesome song to listen to when you're pissed off 9/10

Fucker. I was about to do this same thing. Haha. Decent review.

JohnnyNemesis
04-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Do a review of the debut, endlesst0m. I'm interested in checking it out.

EDIT: Or, would you folks be interested in my take on it instead? Let me know so I can whip something up.

Thomas
04-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Hey, um, this is off topic, but remember my Analysis of Ixnay on the Hombre? Well in about 5 minutes I will have the analysis of S/T completed for you all to see. Just a little heads up there for anyone who's interested...

endlesst0m
04-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Do a review of the debut, endlesst0m. I'm interested in checking it out.

EDIT: Or, would you folks be interested in my take on it instead? Let me know so I can whip something up.

The next time I have time for it, I'll probably do another review, but if you wanna review the S/T then go for it. I was thinking about doing Americana or Ixnay next anyway, they're my favorites.

Hux
04-13-2006, 07:40 PM
What the hell do you mean by mexican guitar riff?
He means the like "middle eastern" guitar riff. I don't think it's as much "Mexican".

Thomas
04-13-2006, 07:41 PM
He means the like "middle eastern" guitar riff. I don't think it's as much "Mexican".

Yeah, there is a huge difference between the two.

Hux
04-13-2006, 07:42 PM
You really hate So Alone.

DeAtHsTaR
04-13-2006, 07:42 PM
Why does everyone call Self Esteem a punk song? It's grunge.

Thomas
04-13-2006, 07:43 PM
You really hate So Alone.

I don't know why people don't like it. Yeah, it is short and it is far from the best on the album, but it is a really fast, fun song. I'd give it AT LEAST a 7/10.

Hux
04-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Yeah, Self Esteem isn't punk.

JohnnyNemesis
04-13-2006, 07:52 PM

'Cause your mother's a whore.

DeAtHsTaR
04-13-2006, 07:55 PM
'Cause your mother's a whore.
Well, that explains it!

Funny thing is, she very well could be, I wouldn't know and honestly I wouldn't care.

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
04-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Sorry ::Smash:: but i really enjoy So Alone, 7/10 for me, I personaly think it's very catchy and singing along is great!

Gotta Get Away is an easy 8/10 AT LEAST! I don't think i need a reason for that one

Bad Habit's Bass into is class, i have no idea why you think it's boring, it's a great build up.

Did you say the vocals are sloppy on Nitro? because i think the lyrics are great and the vocals are great, the backup vocals in this song definatly bring out alot in the song too.

Llamas
04-13-2006, 10:21 PM
so alone is one of my least favorite offspring songs of all...

04-13-2006, 10:29 PM
whoever said my review was decent is lying. but thanks for trying to be nice. i just did it coz it takes a long time and i was bored. i was tired so i put no effort into it. bitch about it all you want. i don't care the slightest

pretty fly 88
04-13-2006, 11:15 PM

These are the 2 really messed up ones. Gotta Get Away is the best song on the album, and if you don't give it a 10/10, that's just wrong. And Something To Believe In? I'd give that song at least an 8/10, and the backup vocals are what bring the song down, not up! The song would be great if it weren't for the annoying backup vocals.

JohnnyNemesis
04-13-2006, 11:16 PM
whoever said my review was decent is lying. but thanks for trying to be nice. i just did it coz it takes a long time and i was bored. i was tired so i put no effort into it. bitch about it all you want. i don't care the slightest

Yes, you DO care, because if you didn't, you wouldn't bother attempting to explain yourself here.

These are the 2 really messed up ones. Gotta Get Away is the best song on the album, and if you don't give it a 10/10, that's just wrong. And Something To Believe In? I'd give that song at least an 8/10, and the backup vocals are what bring the song down, not up! The song would be great if it weren't for the annoying backup vocals.
You're a ...

forget it.

04-13-2006, 11:18 PM
Yes, you DO care, because if you didn't, you wouldn't bother attempting to explain yourself here.

it's funny because you think you know what you're talking about

JohnnyNemesis
04-13-2006, 11:19 PM
Please explain how you "don't care", but still took the time and effort to write all that stuff explaining how much you "don't care".

04-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Please explain how you "don't care", but still took the time and effort to write all that stuff explaining how much you "don't care".
you'd be surprised what people such as myself are bothered to do when they are extremely bored

T-6005
04-14-2006, 12:59 AM
Why do idiots constantly feel the urge to categorize music according to tired out genres that have long since been dropped by any intelligent person, only to be used for the very sketchiest outline of a band's style?

JohnnyNemesis
04-14-2006, 01:01 AM
Now THAT is a good question.

DeAtHsTaR
04-14-2006, 01:27 AM
Why do idiots constantly feel the urge to categorize music according to tired out genres that have long since been dropped by any intelligent person, only to be used for the very sketchiest outline of a band's style?
Fair point, but no one could possibly consider Self Esteem to be punk. It just doesn't seem possible.

04-14-2006, 03:18 AM
Fair point, but no one could possibly consider Self Esteem to be punk. It just doesn't seem possible.
well it seems i have just done the impossible. i must be some kind of super human

That_Guy91
04-14-2006, 03:31 AM
well it seems i have just done the impossible. i must be some kind of super human
I think he meant that nobody should be stupid enough to call it a punk song.

04-14-2006, 03:56 AM
I think he meant that nobody should be stupid enough to call it a punk song.
so im stupid because i define punk differently along with everyone else?

That_Guy91
04-14-2006, 07:14 AM
so im stupid because i define punk differently along with everyone else?
No, you're stupid because you either missed the point completely, or you just made a horrible joke. Your sig doesn't really help, either.

Llamas
04-14-2006, 08:44 AM
you know, it could be a punk song, lyrically. he's talking about how low his esteem is, and how much it hurts him. saying that he can't do things himself and is kind of kept down by something is sort of a punk idea. though, if it was really punk, he'd probably sing about trying to get through instead of just accepting it.

musically, it does use power chords, and punk progressions... I wouldn't classify it as punk, but I wouldn't say that you CAN'T classify it so. It wouldn't be my first thought, but you're not a moron for doing so.

That_Guy91
04-14-2006, 01:58 PM
you know, it could be a punk song, lyrically. he's talking about how low his esteem is, and how much it hurts him. saying that he can't do things himself and is kind of kept down by something is sort of a punk idea. though, if it was really punk, he'd probably sing about trying to get through instead of just accepting it.

musically, it does use power chords, and punk progressions... I wouldn't classify it as punk, but I wouldn't say that you CAN'T classify it so. It wouldn't be my first thought, but you're not a moron for doing so.
Lyrically, I would say it's a pop punk song.

endlesst0m
04-14-2006, 02:14 PM
The problem is that I've heard "Pop-Punk" be used to describe a certain sound, like New Found Glory, or MxPx, or I've heard it used to describe how "pop"ular a punk band got, regardless of thier sound.

Ninty Man
04-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Even I dislike Self Esteem (call me heretic, I dont give a shit) I totally think Smash... that... well... maybe your review of Gotta Get Away it's... :rolleyes: well, the smilie will talk for me.

Anyway, I must agree with the most of your review... If I review Self titled, and put it generally a 7, somebody will kill me???

And, BTW...that 5 reminds me something... hell yeah, good time on junior high school... shit... Physics, Chemistry and Biology 5.... well, at least History of Mexico was 10 XD

- -Lauren- -
04-14-2006, 09:28 PM

this song DEFINES my life. perfectly, in every aspect.

Llamas
04-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Smash is the song that got me through highschool...

Original prankstA
04-14-2006, 09:40 PM
Dear .:SMASH:.-

I feel bad for you this review made you look more fucktarded than you really are

ruroken
04-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Hell no he's not.
I agree with him. Besides, arent you the one going "to each their own" all the time?

Dr. Feelgood
04-15-2006, 12:21 AM
Mexican guitar riff? Crackhead... It's more of an egyptian tune.

F@ BANKZ
04-15-2006, 03:40 AM
Good review, although i disagree at parts, gotta get away is, i think, yes overrated but its still very good, it has some of the bands very best lyrics to date and is much unlike any other Offspring song. Smash is great but id give it an 8, dont really know why. Id also say Self Esteem is better than Genocide. Other than that, good review

Harnum
04-15-2006, 09:16 AM
i agree!!! nice review though!

Joakoman
04-15-2006, 09:26 AM

FUCK YOU!!!

Llamas
04-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Mexican guitar riff? Crackhead... It's more of an egyptian tune.

all it is is a harmonic minor scale... which often can sound MIDDLE EASTERN based on context... not mexican or egyptian.

Hyper nova
04-16-2006, 06:23 PM
all it is is a harmonic minor scale... which often can sound MIDDLE EASTERN based on context... not mexican or egyptian.

I'm Pretty Sure its done on a SITAR an middle eastern, uprightish String Intrument like a guitar, i Think to be more precise it's Indian So its Certainly not MEXICAN or EGYPTIAN, The COAP rift is done at the end of smash using a Sitar as well and is similar to Pay the Man intro as thats also with a SItar but is slightly different, ANd i dont mean th Slowed down Genocide rift that was use as the Intro to CHange the World