PDA

View Full Version : Long review of The Offspring's S/T album.

JohnnyNemesis
04-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Yeah, just my opinions. You might see me coming at this album from a literary and sociological perspective; I guess I've been in school far too long. Enjoy.

http://i2.tinypic.com/vetd7d.jpg

The Offspring
Released: March, 1989 (Nemesis Records)
Rereleased: November 21, 1995 (Nitro Records)
Duration: 31:23

1 - Jennifer Lost The War

A surprisingly mature song from such a young band. I really like the way they creatively tackle such tragic issues, including how hard it is for most people to stop living their everyday lives for just one second and pay attention. The opening lines of this song are pretty shocking, which is good, because it makes you pay attention to the whole album. Musically, the song is awesome too: I like the way the riff is consistent, but dances around Dexter's vocals a bit.

Rating: 9.5/10

2 - Elders

Unfortunately, this song is nowhere near as mature. It comes across as a pretty generic youth rebellion song, but the end of the song does something interesting. Rather than promote youth rebellion and ownership over one's actions, it shifts the cause of rebellion over to larger insitutions like the family. Good stuff. I really enjoy Dexter's vocals here.

Rating: 8.5/10

3 - Out On Patrol

Oh my fuckin' God. For eleven years, this was my absolute favorite song of all time, and I'm not kidding you. Anything I have to say is completely biased because I just love it so much. The acoustic opening transitions to the thrashing sound beautifully, the lyrics are eerily cool, and everything is just awesome. Dexter's "uno dos tres quatro" is kind of annoying, but ultimately ballast. Nothing to worry about.

Rating: 10/10 (Fuck you, I'm BIASED and I admit it)

4 - Crossroads

Filler. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a good song, but it's always come across as really, really forgettable for me. Again, that's not to take away from how good the song itself is, but it's something to remember. I mean, I was ready to give it a horrible review, but as I listen right now, I'm loving it. Loving it a lot! Still, the lyrics are kinda corny, and not really too profound. Some lines are great ("Is the best you can be, the best thing to be?" is awesome), but the rest falls into a predictable mush, unfortunately.

Rating: 5.5/10

5 - Demons (A Mexican Fiesta)

I remember disliking this song when I first heard it, but it grew on me. I still don't listen to it all that often, usually because I can't wait to get to Tehran a few tracks later. The drums and riff that open this song not only sound great, but set a great atmosphere. Extremely scary. The lyrics are pretty creative and match the eerie atmosphere. It's hard not to appreciate the effort here. Innocent fun, but I wish I had more to say about it.

Rating: 8/10

6 - Beheaded

This is going to be the most controversial part of this review, mostly because I just...don't like this song. Even as a kid, I was unimpressed by how corny this song is. I know it's not supposed to be serious, but that still doesn't mean it's good. It's funny though: I usually don't like it, but sometimes when it comes on, I can totally enjoy it. For example, right now I'm listening to it and enjoying it, but I remember how many times I've had the opposite experience. Ugh.

Rating: 3.5/10

7 - Tehran

Now this is what I'm talkin' about! The album's second masterpiece. Again, surprisingly mature and socially conscious stuff from a young group. Like Demons, this song also opens with great atmosphere; just listening to the guitar, bass, and drum going crazy bring to mind images of sand and battle, etc. The lyrics are fuckin' great too, and Dexter sings them well. His rhythm is spectacular, especially when he rushes some parts of the song to match the frantic pace of battle. Perfection.

Rating: 10/10

8 - A Thousand Days

I used to call this song "Crossroads: Part 2". The riff is awesome, and the song isn't all that bad, but it's pretty forgettable. The lyrics are good at some points, but horrible at others (the chorus comes to mind). The way Dexter sings is pretty sloppy on this track too. The ultimate "meh" song from The Offspring. I still think it's good though, and if I were to judge it on the standards I hold for a band that's NOT my favorite, I'd probably give it a 7 or so. But this is The Offspring, so...

Rating: 5/10

9 - Blackball

Oooh! Here's a song I don't listen to all that often, but I really love. It's not exactly mature, but it's an interesting promotion of both cynicism and activism (sounds like a contradiction, but hey, humans are indecisive) that's worth close attention. I really love the personal perspective combined with the greater social context. Musically, it holds up well too. Good song.

Rating: 9/10

10 - I'll Be Waiting

Really catchy song. Some people think of this album as having the least commercial appeal possible for obvious reasons, but I think this is a song that would reach a lot of people. It's poppy in a really good way, has a good message, and good enough lyrics. I don't have much more to say, so I apologize for not explaining the following rating too well:

Rating: 7.5/10

11 - Kill The President

Certainly an odd song, something different from anything they would do until around Americana song or so. I remember listening to this when I was 12 years old, hearing those funky drums and bass and offbeat guitar and having trouble making sense of it all. I still thought it sounded good, and still do now. The lyrics, unfortunately, aren't really insightful, which is disappointing because they're making such a daring statement. Still, I like how this fits into the ethos of punk before them. You can really feel the TSOL influence here.

Rating: 6/10

A quick note: I know that I didn't mention how much of a TSOL ripoff the whole album was, but a song by song review shouldn't speak too much to the general album!

Hope you all enjoyed my long review!

Hux
04-13-2006, 07:02 PM
Well I enjoyed the review.

Out On Patrol and Tehran are awesome :cool:, a unique style.
I love the way Dexter ends Out On Patrol, "uno, dos, tres, quatro".

I disagree Crossroads and A Thousand Days being a filler, they might not be a favourite but still.

I agree with I'll Be Waiting, a nice catchy song.

Thomas
04-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Pfft! That sucked harder than my analysis!

But yeah, I agree with Tehran = perfection. The bass, the drums, the guitar, the vocals, the lyrics, the message, the tone, the mood, the EMOTION, it is all pretty much the greatest thing I have seen.

btw, Blackball should get like 11/10 just for the lyrics and I'll Be Waiting should get about 2350ASFM9303SJOAJF3249ASF9939/10 (fuck you and your 1-10/10 scale! :mad: ) for it's lyrics and sheer energy being put into it. Then again, I am biased with this song because I do have an extremely similar story to the love for life part. :(

Sinister
04-13-2006, 07:10 PM
what I agree the most with is Demon's intro setting the atmosphere. However, I absolutely LOVE Crossroads, but I guess my point of view towards the lyrics is different from yours.
The one bad thing about Tehran is the loooong intro.

I think that album is their overall best, both in music and vocals. And they were still tru punx back when they made it.

And just a little life story : I've looked for that CD everywhere near home, and finally got it at the Virgin Megastore in NYC on a school trip. much <3333 to the Virgin !

Thomas
04-13-2006, 07:15 PM
The one bad thing about Tehran is the loooong intro.

:eek:

The intro is the best part of the song! ARE YOU INSANE?!?!?!?!?!?!

*dies*

Sinister
04-13-2006, 07:19 PM
just listened to it. it's AWESOME indeed, I don't know what the heck I was on with that bad comment about it.

jacknife737
04-13-2006, 07:30 PM
nice, out on patrol is my favorite as well.

0r4ng3
04-13-2006, 07:34 PM
I agree with most of the review. Out on Patrol and Tehran are the best songs. In my opnion, however, Beheaded isn't all that bad.

endlesst0m
04-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Good review, very well written. I never thought I'd hear anyone say that "Out On Patrol" was thier favorite song, even though I do like that one. And I like Crossroads and Beheaded a lot more than you seem to, but the rest of the scores are almost exactly what I would have gave.

Llamas
04-13-2006, 07:55 PM
I really like your review. I like that you gave your opinions on every song without trying to say that you were right, and trying to sound really smart. I don't agree with all of your opinions, but I'm atleast able to see where you're coming from on most of them. Also, I don't think that any of your ideas were WAY off. Good job :)

JohnnyNemesis
04-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Thanks, t0m and ilovellamas!

As far as Crossroads and A Thousand Days go, I actually do like those songs, but when it comes to Offspring standards, I judge more harshly, and those aren't as good as the others to me.

Beheaded, however, I just plain dislike!

Slappy
04-13-2006, 08:56 PM
4 - Crossroads

Filler. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a good song, but it's always come across as really, really forgettable for me. Again, that's not to take away from how good the song itself is, but it's something to remember. I mean, I was ready to give it a horrible review, but as I listen right now, I'm loving it. Loving it a lot! Still, the lyrics are kinda corny, and not really too profound. Some lines are great ("Is the best you can be, the best thing to be?" is awesome), but the rest falls into a predictable mush, unfortunately.

Rating: 5.5/10

How could a song on any bands' first CD be called filler? It's not like they have a time limit to to finish the first album so how could there be any filler songs?

JohnnyNemesis
04-13-2006, 08:58 PM
How could a song on any bands' first CD be called filler? It's not like they have a time limit to to finish the first album so how could there be any filler songs?

I don't mean "filler" in the technical sense. I mean what the word has become over the years: the song is just kinda "there", it's just "nothing special".

Slappy
04-13-2006, 09:06 PM
I don't mean "filler" in the technical sense. I mean what the word has become over the years: the song is just kinda "there", it's just "nothing special".
Oh, ok, that makes more sense now.
I don't think any of their songs are "filler" up until Splinter.

JohnnyNemesis
04-13-2006, 09:11 PM
I don't think any of their songs are "filler" up until Splinter.

...gotta be kidding me.

...holy shit.

0r4ng3
04-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Splinter had the least filler out of their latest releases, I think.

JohnnyNemesis
04-13-2006, 09:18 PM
People need to remove the negative connotation from the word "filler" and be more objective about it. Some of my favorite songs of all time are total filler (Leave It Behind by The Offspring, Ice Machine by Depeche Mode, etc.)

Llamas
04-13-2006, 09:29 PM
I think of filler as songs that the album could do without and be just as good. songs that don't make or break the album, and are easily forgotten. every offspring album (except ignition) has filler. IMO:
s/t: elders, a thousand days, crossroads
smash: not the one, so alone, it'll be a long time
ixnay: leave it behind, way down the line
americana: feelings, walla walla, end of the line
conspiracy: come out swinging, dammit, all along, one fine day
splinter: never gonna find me, long way home, race against myself

A lot of filler... I really like some of the filler songs (crossroads, it'll be a long time, come out swinging, RAM, end of the line...), and I agree that filler has too negative of a connotation. It's not a good thing, but it's not awful.

and it's ignorant to say that the offspring's albums didn't have any filler...

.:SMASH:.
04-13-2006, 09:30 PM
*squeels*

crossroads gets a 10 from me! it's one of my favorite offspring songs. but you are entitled to your opinion.

JohnnyNemesis
04-13-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm just curious about something...how many actually read each review, or did most of you just skip to the ratings? Because as I look at it again, I had some really, really good things to say about Crossroads along with the bad things I said...

Thomas
04-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Only fake punx would read just the ratings!

JohnnyNemesis
04-13-2006, 10:17 PM
i m tru punx 4 nw :cool:

Thomas
04-13-2006, 10:28 PM
But you handed over you leather studded jacket, remember?

Llamas
04-13-2006, 10:52 PM
I read the whole review, and what you said about crossroads... I was only commenting on the filler crap that someone was going nuts about, and saying that I do like crossroads even though it's filler.

endlesst0m
04-13-2006, 11:31 PM
I read the whole review, and what you said about crossroads... I was only commenting on the filler crap that someone was going nuts about, and saying that I do like crossroads even though it's filler.

I just think the riff with the trade off between bass and guitar is classic. Just listen to that bitch...it rules!

H1T_That
04-14-2006, 03:55 AM
out of all these 'review' things, this is easily the best. It reviews the songs from all angles rather than just 'ohh, i never liked the lyrics, 2/10), its structured well and has an intelligable content.

well done JN.

Dmarques
04-14-2006, 05:04 AM
How coUld you give that mark to Beheaded?!?!

Hypodermic_89
04-14-2006, 06:16 AM
A good review, but I disagree with Crossroads and Beheaded. Those songs are my favs from s/t. Otherwise very good review.

Your review rating: 7/10 :]

JohnnyNemesis
04-14-2006, 06:25 AM
Thanks H1T that and Hypodermic! I'm glad you enjoyed reading!

Dmarques: shut up.

Dmarques
04-14-2006, 06:29 AM
Thanks H1T that and Hypodermic! I'm glad you enjoyed reading!

Dmarques: shut up.

Thank you...
Chupista do crlh

Apathy
04-14-2006, 07:37 AM
As much as I don't like track by track reviews, I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said. Perfect scores.

Hyper nova
04-16-2006, 04:51 PM
I think you missed the point of KTP its slightly deeper then just kill the president.
It's about people being the ones that the polititions should listen to not do what they want.
Leaders arn't a democracy they are they're to represent everyone and we need to be making that clear by taking contol of our lives and not complain that Africa is starving etc and actually get our leaders to solve the problem and not fill their own pockets. Then there's the statement about american being its own worst enemy, it's even more true today than when it was written and its a Shame its been taken off. America wonders why they are being bombed and the center of terrorist attacks its because of they own general misunderstanding of the rest of the world because they think they can just shove there ethics and ways of life on other countries becuae they think there way is best and the verse

"America, all your enemies come from within,
But you lash out so it is seen
Like some frightened child in an angry world
Or the fall of Rome
Your demise comes from your own
Your own hands!"

Shows this. It may have simple lyrics but if you dont listen to them you mis the actual message. And the Simplicity In my opinion adds to it's power.

Everything else itn that review i see where you are coming from. Beheaded bit harse imo as it does what its supposed id have given it a bit higer like 5 and the 2 others you gave 5's, 7's but defo see where you are coming from
But again I think you missed the point in KTP its one of my favourite songs on S/T and id give it easily 8 or above

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
04-16-2006, 06:44 PM
Congratulations! One of the crappest reviews yet.

Ninty Man
04-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Well I enjoyed the review.

Out On Patrol and Tehran are awesome :cool:, a unique style.
I love the way Dexter ends Out On Patrol, "uno, dos, tres, quatro".

I disagree Crossroads and A Thousand Days being a filler, they might not be a favourite but still.

I agree with I'll Be Waiting, a nice catchy song.

It's cuatro, no quatro

And, men... Johnny, I agree with almost everything (except beheaded)

Little_Miss_1565
04-16-2006, 06:53 PM
It's cuatro, no quatro

¿Estás seguro que vives en México? Es "quatro," no "cuatro."

Anyway, I thought it was an excellent review. Well thought-out and not just one big blowjob. And I'm glad you gave such a high rating to "Jennifer Lost the War" ;)

Original prankstA
04-16-2006, 06:56 PM
The best review so far, by far. You really didn't use only your opinions, even if you disliked a song you still said it was good. Nice job :)

Dr. Feelgood
04-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Nice Review... Make some more, because this one was really good. ;)

Jakebert
04-16-2006, 07:02 PM
I always thought that Kill the President was sarcastic. Or at least I always hoped..

noodle654
04-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Good work Johnny, I think it was a fine review, its YOUR review. I respect Out on Patrol and Tehran, they are my favorites too, along with Beheaded and Black Ball. Good Work *claps*

Ninty Man
04-16-2006, 07:57 PM
¿Estás seguro que vives en México? Es "quatro," no "cuatro."

Anyway, I thought it was an excellent review. Well thought-out and not just one big blowjob. And I'm glad you gave such a high rating to "Jennifer Lost the War" ;)

Hell fuck,are you joking???

Its cuatro, no quatro... and end of the argue

Look for a dictionary

Little_Miss_1565
04-16-2006, 08:40 PM
Hell fuck,are you joking???

Its cuatro, no quatro... and end of the argue

Look for a dictionary

Joder, I looked in rae.es, and it IS cuatro...maybe I shouldn't be graduating from college with a Spanish minor... :(

Eternal Yamcha
04-16-2006, 10:00 PM
Actually, this was a fairly well written review and I do believe that I agree with most of it... Except I wouldn't rate any of the songs below a 7... And I put Demons up to about a 10/10... It's just so... Carnal and primal.

I'd totally do one of these lists, problem is, I look too much at lyrics as opposed to music.

Ninty Man
04-17-2006, 03:36 PM
Joder, I looked in rae.es, and it IS cuatro...maybe I shouldn't be graduating from college with a Spanish minor... :(

And maybe I should tell you that youre not the only one...

Dont worry, I can teach you spanish :P

Just pay me 100 dollars per hour

endlesst0m
04-17-2006, 08:26 PM
A quick note: I know that I didn't mention how much of a TSOL ripoff the whole album was

Forgot to mention...I've only heard a few TSOL songs, but in what ways is this album a rip-off of TSOL? I've noticed that the drums in TSOL and this album are really similar, but I never thought it could be considered a rip-off.

Little_Miss_1565
04-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Forgot to mention...I've only heard a few TSOL songs, but in what ways is this album a rip-off of TSOL? I've noticed that the drums in TSOL and this album are really similar, but I never thought it could be considered a rip-off.

Get Dance With Me, listen to it, and then come back.

JohnnyNemesis
04-18-2006, 05:05 AM
Yeah, it's definitely a ripoff. I'm cool with that though. Heck, if you're gonna rip someone off, TSOL is a great choice, and Dance With Me is a great album.

Offtopic: speaking of punk ripoffs, Unwritten Law's early albums, particularly their second album "Oz Factor", though one of my all time favorite/life changing CDs for me, is definitely a Pennywise ripoff. Why anyone would ripoff a band as predictable as Pennywise is beyond me though.

Little_Miss_1565
04-18-2006, 07:14 AM
Lolz, UL opened for Offspring when I saw them on the Americana tour. :)

JohnnyNemesis
04-18-2006, 07:20 AM
I know! I remember finding out that they were opening on the Americana tour and my mood going from :confused: to :eek: !

I didn't get to see them because I was kinda young and rock music was the music of the devil and Momma didn't let me go.

...now, I know I wasn't THAT young, but Momma still had control and I have so much respect for her.

And that was back at the time when UL was easily my second favorite band, and at times would creep up into my top spot. Ugh, I missed out. UL will never be the same either.

*sadz*

Little_Miss_1565
04-18-2006, 07:23 AM
Yeah, I was kind of tiny when that show happened, and I kind of got the shit beat out of me...Dexter kicked me in the head, lol. But he flipped me off during "Cool to Hate" that means he likes me amirite?

JohnnyNemesis
04-18-2006, 07:25 AM
u r so rite cuz u dont like nuthin n u like dat fine :cool:

OnSpring!
04-18-2006, 07:43 AM
enzino: "guardianooooooooooooooooo"

FOXMAN
04-18-2006, 08:05 AM
I disagree about crossroads and a thousand days. I think they are awesome songs. In my opinion, crossroads maybe the best of the album!