PDA

View Full Version : album titles

DICKON
04-14-2006, 01:00 PM
i always thought that splinter was called splinter because of the ylrics 'like fragments of a broken mind, i splinter by my own design', but i was looking on ultimiate guitar and dexter said: "it's because this record is pretty diverse and splintered. A lot of the songs are told in first person through these different voices that are slightly demented like a splintered personality."

did anyone else know that?

Sinister
04-14-2006, 01:00 PM
it's old news.

DICKON
04-14-2006, 01:02 PM
yeh i no, but i still found it intrestin

Llamas
04-14-2006, 03:48 PM
bands don't ever name albums after one line from a song. if they do, they are morons. There is always a real reason for naming an album something... if they named the album "splinter" just cause of that line, I'd have no respect for the album... it'd be worse than if they'd called it "americana" just cause there's a song called "americana" on it...

Thomas
04-14-2006, 03:51 PM
bands don't ever name albums after one line from a song. if they do, they are morons. There is always a real reason for naming an album something... if they named the album "splinter" just cause of that line, I'd have no respect for the album... it'd be worse than if they'd called it "americana" just cause there's a song called "americana" on it...

Yellowcard- Ocean Acenue?

Then again, I can't stand them anyways...

Ninty Man
04-14-2006, 06:28 PM
Well, I don't know really why it's Ixnay on the Hombre, and I didn't knew why Splinter

Thanx a lot

Hux
04-14-2006, 08:36 PM
i always thought that splinter was called splinter because of the ylrics 'like fragments of a broken mind, i splinter by my own design', but i was looking on ultimiate guitar and dexter said: "it's because this record is pretty diverse and splintered. A lot of the songs are told in first person through these different voices that are slightly demented like a splintered personality."

did anyone else know that?
Yeah we kind of worked it out along with others...

http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21693

Llamas
04-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Yellowcard- Ocean Acenue?

Then again, I can't stand them anyways...

do you KNOW they named it that because of one song? do you know the album well enough to know that there's no other reason...?

randman21
04-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Alas, I was wrong again!

I had always thought that it was some sort of social commentary.
The Greek (or Roman?) statue, which sort of represents the pinnacle of civilization, breaks (splinters), so I thought they were hinting at the downfall of our world, or something.

Llamas
04-15-2006, 10:23 AM
good theory, but the album doesn't really deal with that concept in any songs...

randman21
04-15-2006, 10:47 AM
'tis true.

P.S. Hehe, I love llamas, too.