PDA

View Full Version : Songs You Grew Up With

- -Lauren- -
04-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Mkkay, what were songs you grew up with?
Like ones you haven't heard in forever, but you still have the lyrics memorized when you hear it?

Mine:
Wannabe- Spice Girls
The Freshmen - The Verve Pipe (this made me cry! I loved it so...)
I Want You - Savage Garden
Truly Madly Deeply - Savage Garden

Original prankstA
04-14-2006, 08:59 PM
everything by the beach boys and the four seasons, but some who, and lots of other classic rock that's what my dad listend to and i was to young to really care. but if you mean stuff WE listened to growing up punk... offspring mainly i was never into poppy bands so i've basically been a punker most of my life, and i know you wanted songs but i don't know the names of most of them

- -Lauren- -
04-14-2006, 09:01 PM
they were all songs i listened to when i was 7-10 years old...

ruroken
04-14-2006, 09:34 PM
Mkkay, what were songs you grew up with?
Like ones you haven't heard in forever, but you still have the lyrics memorized when you hear it?

wtf? There are like 1000 songs I can remember the lyrics to when I hear the song. So what does that have to do with growing up with them?
Or do you have some sort of memory problem?

Endymion
04-14-2006, 09:37 PM
i grew up with 80's new wave and classical on my dad's side, and pop/rock of the 80/90s from my mom.

T-6005
04-14-2006, 09:47 PM
offspring mainly i was never into poppy bands so i've basically been a punker most of my life
The sheer amount of punk coming off you scares my trendy asshole.

Jebus
04-14-2006, 09:50 PM
I grew up with a lot of cumbia and ranchera. \m/

The first bands I listened to where Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys. Then I got into the beatles and later Offspring.

EDIT: That's so sigged.

Jebus
04-14-2006, 09:54 PM
strange...my sig is on this post but not on the one on top.

DeAtHsTaR
04-14-2006, 09:57 PM
Smash Mouth- All Star, even though I was a full 9 years old.

mrconeman
04-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Tom Petty, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, Oasis and Guns 'n' Roses.
I grew up around alot of that, so the odd song here and there will bring a memory back.

Thomas
04-14-2006, 10:27 PM
Haha. My first cd was Smash Mouth's Astro Lounge. It was the only cd I had from like 3rd grade to about 7th or 8th grade. I haven't listened to it since, but I heard Come On Come On today and I forgot how catchy that album is. I might listen to the whole thing again tomorrow.

DeAtHsTaR
04-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Haha. My first cd was Smash Mouth's Astro Lounge. It was the only cd I had from like 3rd grade to about 7th or 8th grade. I haven't listened to it since, but I heard Come On Come On today and I forgot how catchy that album is. I might listen to the whole thing again tomorrow.
Haha almost the same exact story for me, except I had a couple Weird AL albums, Americana, and Conspiracy of One also.

Tijs
04-15-2006, 04:16 AM
More bands than songs actually. Guns n' Roses, Pearl Jam, ACDC, Roy Orbinson, lots lots more. See, my mom and dad were hippies. Although one song that really stands out is Paradise City.

And in respons to the above posts, I bought Astro Lounge last summer, really an awesome album. I started liking Smash Mouth about two years ago, it's very fun to listen to.

Mannen som blev en gris
04-15-2006, 04:55 AM
Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water

I don't know why, but me and my friends were obsessed with that song when we were 2-5 years old. I really have no idea why.
Since I'm born 1991, most of the music I heard was pop. Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, Five, Britney Spears (remember her?!) etc. But then when I was.... 7, I started to listen to The Offspring, and stopped listening to other music (more or less).

edit: oh, and that Martin guy! "Du är så yeah, yeah, wow, wow".... "Jag vill inte motionera...". I wonder what happened to him.

Jalle
04-15-2006, 05:29 AM
The Doors - Hello i love you

now i really hate that band but when i was younger i really loved them especially that song.. ^^

offspring fan
04-15-2006, 05:36 AM
i was just listening to hip hop music until i was 8 and got my first offspring cd. ixnay on the hombre. and now i hate hip hop.

Jalle
04-15-2006, 05:40 AM
hip hop :eek:

but..i gotta say...a few hip hop songs are really cool (not that modern gangzta shit!)

i heard linkin park a loong time! then i JUST heard nirvana...! nothing else! just nirvana! and then there was a time a heard everything (everything just no hip hop) and now i love hearing foo fighters,mando diao,the offspring and that....! :D

bd007h
04-15-2006, 11:03 AM
The Freshmen - The Verve Pipe (this made me cry! I loved it so...)

one of my favorite songs ever. Their other stuff is pretty good too. Too bad they only had one hit

Sinister
04-15-2006, 11:05 AM
I grew up listening to (and loving) Chris DeBurgh. YUCK!

killer_queen
04-15-2006, 11:09 AM
Almost all of the Beatles' songs. Also we used to listen Manhattan Transfer in car while daddy was taking us to the kindergarden. And classical & jazz at home for all day. I had a great childhood.

And this thread is quite good, I think.

BIG Nicky
04-15-2006, 11:09 AM
For me i was some Fastball songs, but I can't remember which ones, also the Goo Goo Dolls.

Original prankstA
04-15-2006, 11:36 AM
(even for smash mouth) that album kicks ass

bd007h
04-15-2006, 11:49 AM
I think Fush You Mang is the best Smash Mouth album. I never could get into Astro Lounge

Thomas
04-15-2006, 11:54 AM
I think Fush You Mang is the best Smash Mouth album. I never could get into Astro Lounge
I never got that one. I got S/T and Get The Picture, but both were utterly terrible and I sold them. There were actually one or two songs on S/T I really enjoyed, but the rest of the album was pretty much crap.

bd007h
04-15-2006, 11:57 AM
They kinda changed their style after Fush You Mang

The Talking Pie
04-18-2006, 06:52 AM
My mum was always (and I mean always) listening to Jeff Buckley, Placebo, Metallica, Live, Stone Temple Pilots and Nirvana, so I guess most of their songs.

DeAtHsTaR
04-18-2006, 07:03 AM
I really remember hearing Comedown by Bush.

DeAtHsTaR
04-18-2006, 07:04 AM
They kinda changed their style after Fush You Mang
Yeah, they had a good ska/punk vibe on that one. Their album the East Bay Sessions actually has some pretty hardcore sounding stuff.

DeAtHsTaR
04-18-2006, 07:05 AM
Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water

I don't know why, but me and my friends were obsessed with that song when we were 2-5 years old. I really have no idea why.
Since I'm born 1991, most of the music I heard was pop. Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, Five, Britney Spears (remember her?!) etc. But then when I was.... 7, I started to listen to The Offspring, and stopped listening to other music (more or less).

Dude, Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys weren't even around till you were 7 or 8.

Kaz The Random
04-18-2006, 08:03 AM
I loved the spice girls! I remember hearing loads of queen, deep purple and bon jovi when I was growing up.

Im not saying anyone here is lying, but I find it quite amazing when people say they've been a fan of a band since they were little. Its cool if people liked a band that young and still do now though. Eveyone I know cringes about the crap they liked.

Rinoa
04-18-2006, 08:04 AM
I grew up with Radiohead, Offspring, Blur, Garbage and No Doubt.

And to be totally honest (other than the last one) I haven't grown out of my music tastes. I just like a wider variety of bands now :)

OnSpring!
04-18-2006, 08:15 AM
Rinoa i love you, and i also love barrett

Rinoa
04-18-2006, 08:18 AM
Rinoa i love you, and i also love barrett

Hehe, yeah Barret's the man!

Camilamazed
04-18-2006, 08:41 AM
I grew up with Madonna, Michael Jackson, New kids on the block and all the good stuff from the 80's hehehe :D

Mannen som blev en gris
04-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Dude, Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys weren't even around till you were 7 or 8.
Dude, you didn't make the All Brits are faggoted and can't spell-thread.

Seriously though, maybe not, but... uh... I don't know what I want to say. Yeah.

grunge
04-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Maybe it sounds commonplacely but it were the offspring's songs " Blackball " and " Want you bad "

notoriousdoc
04-18-2006, 10:06 AM
My parents used to (and still do) listen to Oasis, David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Chris Rea, REM and various things like that.

The first stuff I was into was 99-00 era techno, then Ash (I must have played 1977 at least 100 times), and then my dad introduced me to the Offspring with Americana (I liked it because of the cover).

ignition991
04-18-2006, 07:28 PM
I used to like Linkin park years ago, and my dad would always put on beatles. So, heh Linkin park and the Beatles, interesting mix.

Betty
04-18-2006, 09:18 PM
My parents listened/listen to soft classic rock music... Steve Miller, Eagles, Tom Petty, Doobie Brothers, Cat Stevens, Rod Stewart, Billy Joel, y'know, stuff like that. And I love it.

But our favourite two cassette tapes as kids were Raffi and Rock '86. Rock '86 KICKED ASS! Also, we listened to Michael Jackson's "Dangerous" quite a bit. Oh, and Paula Abdul and Gloria Estefan. "Straight up baby tell me that you really wanna love me forever, oh oh oh!" Man, I should download some of that.

After that it was the stuff the kids in my class and I started to get into in grade 5/6 ish. Green Day, Offspring, Alanis (my first CD), Our Lady Peace, Silverchair, Hanson (best friend was in love), Weezer, basically whatever ended up on the earlier Big Shiny Tunes compilations.

JohnnyNemesis
04-18-2006, 09:23 PM
Four words and a conjunction:

BON JOVI and PHIL COLLINS.

Yes, I grew up dorky. But I had the "Slippery When Wet" cassette from Bon Jovi, and Livin' on a Prayer was the first song I fell in love with ever. The Phil Collins was a live tape, I think...and it had You Can't Hurry Love and Sussudio on it, two songs I absolutely adore to this day.

This threads is fucking awesome <3.

Betty
04-18-2006, 09:29 PM
I almost mentionned Phil.

The Carousel Album (Live one) was my favourite. "You Can't Hurry Love" being my absolute favourite. We had it on cassette. Sussudio was ALSO on Rock '86.

I loved it so much I bought it again in CD form about 3-4 years ago. I also bought Iggy Pop at the same time. The clerk at the store made a comment about the odd combination.

Anya82
04-19-2006, 08:22 PM
instead of songs, i will mention artists, cause i don't feel like choosing songs.... and i have a long path to remember! *cough*old*cough*hahaha!
I'm 80's and early 90's too...

Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Cyndi Lauper, Ace of Base, Guns n' roses, Nirvana, Offspring, Pink Floyd, The Clash, REM, Madonna....

i listened more music in spanish, i won't mention any of them cause i don't think you'll know those bands

coke_a_holic
04-19-2006, 08:31 PM
Pop/Rock basically. It was the radio that I grew up with. My favorite bands when I was young were Nirvana, The Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smash Mouth, and Sugar Ray.

All About Eve
04-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Smash Mouth, and Sugar Ray.

God I loved them.

coke_a_holic
04-19-2006, 08:36 PM
God I loved them.
I own Astrolounge AND that Sugar Ray cd with the songs. It had a pool on the cover...

All About Eve
04-19-2006, 08:44 PM
I used to, but lost them :(

DeAtHsTaR
04-19-2006, 08:46 PM
Oh shit, now I have some strange inclination to find my Astro Lounge cd.

JohnnyNemesis
04-19-2006, 09:46 PM
I own Astrolounge AND that Sugar Ray cd with the songs. It had a pool on the cover...

When The Morning Comes > Walking on the Sun (from the Fush Yu Mang album, which I don't own but remember the singles from)

RPM > Fly (I think this album is "Floored"...I don't own it)

Them are facts. I grew up loving the singles those folks came out with. Then Smash Mouth released "All Star" and five people ended up dead and hidden under my bed somehow. Something about uncontrollable rage on my part or something.

Whatever. It's not my fault, it's Smash Mouth's fault.

Anya82
04-19-2006, 11:41 PM
who can ever forget 4 Non blondes' "what's up"?

i was... 12? or something like that, i think

Andy
04-20-2006, 03:36 AM
The main bulk of my musical childhood owes much to Queen Greatest Hits II.

However, there are certain songs that will always make me feel warm and fuzzy inside (bloody nostalgia). These are:
Aerosmith - Pink
Texas - Once In A Lifetime
George Michael - Fast Love
Republica - Ready To Go

Not great songs, but will always remind me of my kiddiehood.

ofsmurfsandpixies
04-20-2006, 06:19 AM
i grew up to NIrvana (still growing up to them) and david Bowie, and S club 7.......there was loads more but i used to turn it off and run from my dad as he screamed 'get back ere ya lil barstard'-with an irish accent

ThrashedThrasher
04-20-2006, 08:21 AM
Mainly anything by the following bands, when I was really little:

Alice in Chains
Pearl Jam
Mother Love Bone
Queensryche
Soundgarden
Mudhoney
Pink Floyd
Led Zepplin
Hendrix
Metallica

And then when I got a wee bit older :

Offspring
Tupac
B.I.G.
Spice 1
Eminem
Ludacris
Dr.Dre
Lil Bow Wow
Rob Zombie/White Zombie

Never Gonna Find Me
04-20-2006, 08:28 AM
The first song I remember learning all the words to was We Are The Champions by Queen. That was when I was about five or so... :D

Nineteen Seventy Nine
04-22-2006, 05:38 PM
All these songs my parents seemed to play a lot that I remember. The first one just happens to be a strong favorite and it makes me remember when I was younger.

Man On The Moon- R.E.M.
--
Drops of Jupiter- Train
Strawberry Fields- The Beatles
Wide Open Spaces- Dixie Chicks
Runnin' With The Devil- Van Halen
Everybody Hurts- R.E.M.
Time of Your Life- Green Day
One Last Breath- Creed
Give A Little Bit- Supertramp
Only God Knows Why- Kid Rock