PDA

View Full Version : Keyboards in a metal band???

harrytaylor
04-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Iz play the bass but i want to start playing the keyboard in my metal band, do u think it would be a bad idea cos iz not sure

Sinister
04-15-2006, 11:39 AM
it would be a bad idea. Not because it wouldn't fit, but because it implies you'll be alive.

harrytaylor
04-15-2006, 11:44 AM
lol, kind of what i was thinking, i guess keyboards arre pooo

killer_queen
04-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Sounds perfect to me. The important thing is music of course, so it doesn't matter what instrument you play.

harrytaylor
04-15-2006, 12:05 PM
thanx :o qwerty

Jebus
04-15-2006, 01:07 PM
Sinister, stop insulting people all together no matter how much they deserve it. Those stop existing insults are pretty lame in this context, especially when it's uncalled for.

My favorite metal bands have a keyboard players and it wouldn't be the same without them. They could be vital parts of the band if you know what you're doing. Check out Dream Theater and Symphony X to see what I'm talking about.

Dr. Feelgood
04-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Sure It'd be a good idea. Sinister, if you don't think it belongs listen to CHildren of Bodom. They are by far the best metal band with a keyboard.

Dr. Feelgood
04-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Sinister, stop insulting people all together no matter how much they deserve it, especially when it's uncalled for.

My favorite metal bands have a keyboard players and it wouldn't be the same without them. They could be vital parts of the band if you know what you're doing. Check out Dream Theater and Symphony X to see what I'm talking about.

Yeah, Dream Theater is really good.

mrconeman
04-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Ozzy's band has always had keyboards.
Lots of metal does, they work, when used right.

Kylethedood
04-16-2006, 09:02 AM
I've got a keyboard player in my punk/metal band, check out our song Titan www.betarecords.com/thebud harry give it a go!!! :)

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
04-16-2006, 09:22 AM
yeah, alot of metal bands have keyboards, and they sound awesome when used right.

SaiKYoU
04-16-2006, 09:44 AM
keyboards are more "power metal" than "heavy metal"

JoY
04-16-2006, 02:48 PM
I fully agree. still I have to say that it can't beat a real piano. the sound of a keyboard will ALWAYS in EVERY musical genre be inferior to the sound of a piano.

WebDudette
04-16-2006, 03:09 PM
Awesome Metal Band with a Keyboard (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=1859360&MyToken=493017d5-f7d8-4844-9931-9afa6d468cdb)

Jebus
04-16-2006, 03:11 PM
I disagree. A regular piano just wouldn't cut it in a lot of situations, especially with Dream Theater. For example, Jordan Rudess tends to bend pitches often which something you can't do with a piano. Regular pianos sometimes lack the sustain you could get from synthesizers and some songs just wouldn't sound right without those funky effects.

0r4ng3
04-16-2006, 03:14 PM
Having a piano instead of a keyboard is like having an acoustic guitar instead of electric. Y'know, without all of those effects.

harrytaylor
04-16-2006, 03:29 PM
wow... my first good thread :) I checked out that titan tune, it's shite...

JoY
04-16-2006, 03:31 PM
Having a piano instead of a keyboard is like having an acoustic guitar instead of electric. Y'know, without all of those effects.
NO. no-no-no-no-NO. it's the difference between having a SNARE instrument & having a NON-snare instrument. an electric guitar still at least has snares. an electric piano purely runs on electricity & that limits it. it has buttons you press/push, causing an electrical signal with a sound as an effect. do you have any idea HOW much that really actually sucks, compared to the original -concept- of instruments & especially the piano? you can create sound-effects, but only in turn for the actual *sound* of an actual piano.

Jebus
04-16-2006, 04:05 PM
but the thing is metal bands DON'T want the actual thing. Fine, you could say keyboards are completely different instruments from real pianos but are played the same way(both use keys) and I would agree. So what? what if they're different instruments? The sound of the keyboard is generally prefered over real pianos for the type of things they want to play. Normal pianos are just too limiting for what the keyboard player wants to do.

Joy, you've heard Dream Theater - This Dying Soul, right? Imagine the keyboard parts played with piano. It'd be MADNESS! MADNESS I tell you! MANDESS!

JoY
04-18-2006, 03:26 PM
but the thing is metal bands DON'T want the actual thing. Fine, you could say keyboards are completely different instruments from real pianos but are played the same way(both use keys) and I would agree. So what? what if they're different instruments? The sound of the keyboard is generally prefered over real pianos for the type of things they want to play. Normal pianos are just too limiting for what the keyboard player wants to do.

Joy, you've heard Dream Theater - This Dying Soul, right? Imagine the keyboard parts played with piano. It'd be MADNESS! MADNESS I tell you! MANDESS!
Dream Theater could play the nosefluit for all I care. I'd <3 them anyway. they give every fucking instrument they use a purpose & a reason for being used in that exact song, at that exact moment, for its exact part. they are entitled to abuse the fact we can produce SOUND with electricity & they're one of the few that manage to turn it into actual music.

I rest my case.

Jebus
04-18-2006, 05:55 PM
The thing that bothered me was when you said ALWAYS. Just like what Dream Theater does, it's possible for other bands to do it as well. I know there are only just a few bands that really take full advantage of what a keyboard could do but I still wouldn't completely dismiss the keyboard just because there aren't that many bands that use it wisely. You should check out some Derek Sherinian solo albums and Planet X(Derek Sherinian is also in it) for good use of keyboards. Then again, Derek Sherinian was Dream Theater's keyboard player for an album so I'm not sure if he really counts as a different entity from DT. =\

I do sort of agree with you to a certain extent though. I listen to a few bands that could easily sound better if they had a regular piano in place of a keyboard. Some keyboard players have horrible IMO but the thing with metal is that tone is just as important as what they play. A piano is just simply too "wimpy" for some metal bands. Pianos just aren't able to compliment heavily distorted guitars as much as certain keyboard tones could because pianos can't cut through the mix well enough. Of course, this doesn't apply for every situation.

JoY
04-18-2006, 06:15 PM
I guess I didn't explain myself very well anyway, so it's fine.

what I meant is, that it's not the piano that's simple. the keyboard is, without a doubt. if bands can't even get away with using a piano, then hands off the fucking keyboard. seriously. with some styles, tones, combinations & musictypes I agree a keyboard blends in much better than a piano. but as I said; it's easier to make a total jerk out of yourself with an instrument that's so fucking easy to adjust to different tastes/moods/styles/etc, than with an instrument that will always keep it's pure tone. after all I'm pretty damn a 100% certain that if you'd take Dream Theater's pianist's keyboard away & replace it by a piano, they STILL could pull off any work they didn't have a piano in mind for. that's the strength & the whole point. technically they're just good. & they don't necessarily need a keyboard's sound options - they use one, because it just adds to the effect of their music. if you can't make a piano work in your music as well as a keyboard, you just fucking suck. or well no, I take that back. in that case you just shouldn't be using one. keyboards are most often an easy way out for bad, bad pianists.

harrytaylor
04-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Dream Theater suck my balls :mad:

Jebus
04-18-2006, 07:01 PM
I suppose you could use the piano instead of a keyboard and still get similar results but you know...it's just preference in the end. Also, I wouldn't say you suck just because you decided to use a keyboard over the piano because keyboard is easier. This sort of reminds me of Picasso breaking away from conventional painting to cubism. Sure, he knew to how paint just as well as any one of those other painters that could paint realistically but that got pretty boring so he started painting in his own "easier" style. Just like cubism was a response to conventional painting, you could say the keyboard was a response the classical piano. Metal bands want to something different just like what every artist in the world wants to do. I guess keyboard is a way to be "different" even thought it may be easier than piano.

H1T_That
04-19-2006, 03:49 AM
it would be a bad idea. Not because it wouldn't fit, but because it implies you'll be alive.

LMAO!,harsh, but neccessary.

JoY
04-19-2006, 10:21 AM
I suppose you could use the piano instead of a keyboard and still get similar results but you know...it's just preference in the end. Also, I wouldn't say you suck just because you decided to use a keyboard over the piano because keyboard is easier. This sort of reminds me of Picasso breaking away from conventional painting to cubism. Sure, he knew to how paint just as well as any one of those other painters that could paint realistically but that got pretty boring so he started painting in his own "easier" style. Just like cubism was a response to conventional painting, you could say the keyboard was a response the classical piano. Metal bands want to something different just like what every artist in the world wants to do. I guess keyboard is a way to be "different" even thought it may be easier than piano.
you don't get what I meant. maybe I didn't explain myself properly once again - I know I suck at explaining myself. either way, it's about a keyboard being the same concept as a piano. & of course in certain styles a keyboard is prefered for the sound options, but it's still the same concept as a piano. if you can't play the piano, stay away from the keyboard.

I just hate it that people out there that are just generally uncreative & lousy at music, pick up a keyboard, press button "beat", play a random tune & say "kinda funky, no?".

Jebus
04-19-2006, 11:49 AM
oh, I think I understand. That would probably apply to that harry taylor guy then. I didn't quite catch your drift because all the keyboard players I like are quite talented. I thought you meant every keyboard player.

All About Eve
04-19-2006, 12:47 PM
I fully agree. still I have to say that it can't beat a real piano. the sound of a keyboard will ALWAYS in EVERY musical genre be inferior to the sound of a piano.

<333333333

JoY
05-01-2006, 03:13 PM
yes, I love you too, bebe.

_JJB
05-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Why not synthesizers/keyboards in metal music? It can enter really good "climate" to music.

T-6005
05-03-2006, 02:46 AM
Bella, I felt like mentioning that I've created a few tunes on the keyboard, used as a synthesizer plugged into a computer. I certainly wouldn't be able to play those songs without the options afforded me with the keyboard, but I still count those songs to basically be the best I've ever written - because I can use certain things to play better than I really can.

I'm not really disagreeing with you, but I am saying that in studio situations, where keyboards are put to a cohesive use (say I can't play what I want to and use a synthesizer to record multiple tracks that add up to the one I want), I support their use.

Only, of course, if I like the final result - but I mean, who's to judge that?

All About Eve
05-03-2006, 06:04 AM
The thing I like best about piano is you can't screw around and not know what you're doing and come up with something good, when hypothetically you could on keyboard/synthesizer.

JoY
05-05-2006, 06:44 AM
what AAE said.

All About Eve
05-08-2006, 08:10 PM
I've come to the conclusion people should agree with Isabella more often.

JoY
05-09-2006, 05:32 AM
what AAE said.