PDA

View Full Version : All Right?

Hyper nova
04-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Does anyone know what the reason was behind The Kids Aren't Alright being Spelt wrong and Alright isn't a word its All Right (2 words)? OR is it just a mistake, which i doubt because Dexter is a smart guy.

0r4ng3
04-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Possibly because "alright" is a word.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=alright

The title is some kind of reference to a song called "The Kids Are Alright", though I don't remember who it's by.

The_Special_Delivery
04-16-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm not quite sure but All Right and Alright have 2 differents meaning and in the song they mean Alright because they didn't grow up like they should have.They don't say they are not all right.Hard to explain :confused: Someone can do better!!

The_Special_Delivery
04-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Possibly because "alright" is a word.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=alright

The title is some kind of reference to a song called "The Kids Are Alright", though I don't remember who it's by.

The Who - The Kid Are Alright

Emily_offspring_fan
04-16-2006, 02:20 PM
I seached "Alright" in my English dictionary:

ALRIGHT: adv all right USAGE Alright is very common now, but some people think all right is better English.

offspring_freak_3
04-16-2006, 02:44 PM
its just an abreviation like when you say fav. in case it means favourite

Hyper nova
04-16-2006, 04:26 PM
The Who - The Kid Are Alright

Ok that makes sense and I didnt reallise that Alright had made it into the dictionary, I just assumed All Right Was the Correct way and Alright was slang. I suppose I was right from a point of view, but All Right is the same meaning as Alright.

Call it an Obsession
04-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Ok that makes sense and I didnt reallise that Alright had made it into the dictionary, I just assumed All Right Was the Correct way and Alright was slang. I suppose I was right from a point of view, but All Right is the same meaning as Alright.
well are you feeling alright? you must be pretty bored to post something like this

That_Guy91
04-16-2006, 04:44 PM
but All Right is the same meaning as Alright.
Alright= Ok; well.

All right= All correct.

oja
04-16-2006, 04:49 PM
even if dexter had made a mistake, there would have been lots of people to correct mistakes, and more if it's the title of the song!

Hyper nova
04-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Alright= Ok; well.

All right= All correct.

Did you look at the dictonary link it even says in there that Alright=All right

And I know All right = All correct litrally but its slightly removed and means OK as well

I originally thought Alright wasn't even in the dictionary but now ive seen it is, it's obvious that Alright is derived for All Right by abbreviating it into one word
http://www.answers.com/alright&r=67

i Quote
"Alright
adv. Nonstandard.
All right. See Usage Note at all right."

Hux
04-17-2006, 02:46 AM
As everyone else has said, alright is a word and if evidence is needed,

The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Current English: alright: (erron.) = all right (ALL 9).

If I'm not mistaken, this means incorrectly used for all right.

Lightyears
04-17-2006, 07:08 AM
From a semi english expert:

Yes, Alright and All Right are the same thing. "All Right" started out as pretty much "Everything is correct". And eventually began to be used for also saying "Ok". Alright is a slang word that eventually came around to kind of separate the two. All Right = All Correct, Alright = Ok. It's not official, but Alright was used so much that it was adopted into the dictionary, carrying the same definition as All Right. Dexter has used slang in song titles plenty of times. I don't think it's a problem to do it.

brothadave79
04-17-2006, 11:17 AM
Alright was used so much that it was adopted into the dictionary, carrying the same definition as All Right. Dexter has used slang in song titles plenty of times. I don't think it's a problem to do it.

He's right. "Ain't" is in the dictionary also, and it' not a word. It's not the only time Dexter's used misspelled words in song titles. "Dammit, I Changed Again." Next you guys are going to say that "Dammit" and "Damn it" have two different meanings.

Edit: Just so you know, "Dammit" is also in the dictionary. Still doesn't make it a word.

Emily_offspring_fan
04-17-2006, 11:20 AM
He's right. "Ain't" is in the dictionary also, and it' not a word. It's not the only time Dexter's used misspelled words in song titles. "Dammit, I Changed Again." Next you guys are going to say that "Dammit" and "Damn it" have two different meanings.

Edit: Just so you know, "Dammit" is also in the dictionary. Still doesn't make it a word.

Discusion finished. They mean the same in usage.

Evka.pl
04-17-2006, 11:22 AM
omg i've just realised that if i make it to study english filology, i'll have to discuss shit like that all the time....that's not ALRIGHT, LOL....;)

Hyper nova
04-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Yer Its been proved they have teh same meaning and Alright is the newer version which is not standard but perfectly ok, big deal I wish I never started the thread it deserves to be closed now before people keep on repeating the same old shit.

Call it an Obsession
04-17-2006, 02:20 PM
Yer Its been proved they have teh same meaning and Alright is the newer version which is not standard but perfectly ok, big deal I wish I never started the thread it deserves to be closed now before people keep on repeating the same old shit.
exactly! i dont even know why i keep looking at this thread lol

Andy
04-17-2006, 02:41 PM
This is stupid.

Jakebert
04-17-2006, 03:00 PM
Holy hell, this thread made me dumber.

I forget how to tie my shoes now.

darthdudeguy4
04-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Does anyone know what the reason was behind The Kids Aren't Alright being Spelt wrong and Alright isn't a word its All Right (2 words)? OR is it just a mistake, which i doubt because Dexter is a smart guy.
:confused:
Dexter's not dumb hes got a degree in microbiology

Hyper nova
04-17-2006, 05:14 PM
:confused:
Dexter's not dumb hes got a degree in microbiology
I know duffus that's why i said "Which i doubt because Dexter IS a SMART guy"

And it wasn't a Stupid Thread at first but only need to go so far as to tell me that Alright is actually in the dictionary and that its the same as All Right. It was a sensible question but I'll check my dictionary next time. it only became stupid when people repeat the same thing over and over it needed like 3 posts then to be closed. it should have been
Me: Question
Someone: Answer
Me: Doh Should have checked dictionary my bad thanks

END but no we all have to say that its the same thing and is in the dictionary. so I'm gunna get a mod to close it because people keep on being annoying and continue to post for no reason

Tijs
04-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Closed on request.