PDA

View Full Version : 1565 reviews Ignition

Little_Miss_1565
04-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Because I am tru punxxx to the core, I wanna take a crack at Ignition. Mainly because Johnny started with the first album, and now it's time for the second. Or something. Anyway.

Ignition
*general note: I think this is my favorite mix of sound and such of all the albums. Greg's bass is clearly mixed too loud, but it adds something really...fun. I think it's here that the Offspring really hit their stride as far as their own unique sound goes. Facing the cold hard truth, S/T was one big ripoff of TSOL's Dance With Me. There's absolutely none of that on this record. The Middle Eastern-sounding riffs add enough exoticism to make them stand out from the zillions of punk bands. But then Smash sounded nothing like it, and nothing since has come back to this. Oh, well.

Session
The "AWWWW, FUCK!" intro always makes me chuckle--'cuz what's the song about, after all? It's also cute that Dexter and Noodles' girliefriends got in on the hot songwriting action. Really, its only flaw is that compared to the other songs it's not all that great.
Overall: 7/10

We Are One
Punk. Fucking. Rock, and it provides a smart counterpoint to gang mentalities. The harmonies in the chorus were among the first I started picking out and singing along, which ultimately led to a stint in an a cappella singing group in college. How very un-punk of me.
Overall: 9/10

Kick Him When He's Down
The atonal guitar intro over the drums makes me really happy. Maybe it's because the modern rock radio station at home would play this song sometimes and I'd freak out when I heard it. Lyrically it comes across as a little awkward, especially "'Hey, you're a riddle' I say as I move aside" and "beat me all the way." Would anyone really accuse someone of being a riddle, and is Dexter really having to stretch that badly for a rhyme?
Overall: 6/10

Take it Like a Man
Not my favorite Offspring song ever, to put it one way. Another way to put it would be to say that while all the elements are there for greatness, it just doesn't...coalesce. I'm sometimes tempted to skip over it, but for some reason I never can.
Overall: 6/10

Get It Right
Angsty anthem. I can see the fists raising and chanting "nooo way out" every time I hear it.
Overall 7/10

Dirty Magic
Holy. Fucking. Christ on a cracker. This song smacked me in the face when I heard the album for the first time, and it continues to. Perfect expression of what it's like to be friends with someone who is bent on his/her own self-destruction. Ron's tom-heavy, reverb-heavy drum style always adds something poignant and, well, heavy on the tracks he's on, and putting it under the guitars makes everything sound that much more spooky. They do something more different than anything they've ever done with the guitars on this track, and it's overall effect is kind of breathtaking.
Overall: 11/10

Hypodermic
I guess anything would seem underwhelming after "Dirty Magic," but I think in this case it's because it's actually underwhelming. It's a nice thought, but the execution just isn't there. I definitely skip this one every time.
Overall: 5/10

Burn It Up
The album's namesake--aww, innit cute? With "Beheaded" preceding it, this song starts the tradition of having at least one funny/sarcastic song about doing something socially unacceptable. The use of "bitchin'" definitely dates it to the early 90's, but hey, it's punk rock.
Overall: 7/10

LAPD
The wailing at the beginning is a great solution to the overused police siren sound effect. The minor-scale middle-eastern guitar solo adds to the menace of the whole piece. Who knew Dexter could rap? California knows how to party.
Overall: 8/10

No Hero
This song always makes me think of "Jean is Dead" by the Descendents, probably because they're about the same thing. It's fitting, I suppose...offspring, descendents, you get it. I've never been quite able to figure out though if Johnny successfully committed suicide or if the narrator of the song was able to stop him. I was more than a little disappointed when this song didn't get referenced in NOFX's "Jaw, Knee, Music" (http://www.plyrics.com/lyrics/nofx/jawkneemusic.html), where they namecheck just about every other punk song about the Johnny that seems to come up in every band. It doesn't matter, though, because it's still there for me.
Overall: 8/10

Nothing From Something
Dexter seems to be at his best lyrically when he keeps it as simple as possible. This song's energy is what always gets me, though--the beginning of the solo is muted (literally, palmmuted) and then explodes back into full force, leading into...
Overall: 9/10

Forever and a Day
...the best fucking song evar. EVAR. Gang vocals, whoas, and dueling guitar riffs are the key to any amazing song. Again, Dexter keeps it simple and expresses so much MORE. Maybe it's the badass guitar solo. This song was definitely on repeat either on my CD player or head all through high school (lol, I went to high school before iPods). When I fantasize about singing a song with the band, it's always this one. (Or "Jennifer Lost the War," for obvious reasons. But 9/10 times, it's this one.)
Overall: 10/10

Sinister
04-16-2006, 08:46 PM
I agree with pretty much everything you said, but I've listened to Ignition WAY too much and skip almost all songs from it on a shuffle. Exceptions are Dirty Magic and Forever And A Day.

noodle654
04-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Pretty good...*clap and high five*

DeAtHsTaR
04-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Agree with most, except I don't like Take it Like a Man much at all, and I love Hypodermic.

endlesst0m
04-16-2006, 10:06 PM
I want to post more track by track reviews, but it seems like I've created a monster, and with each additional review, the GOD is getting more and more ridiculous.

barangatang
04-16-2006, 10:33 PM
Excellent. I think Take it like a man deserves a higher grade though.

For the heck of it, put in one for "mission from god"

Thomas
04-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Everything I agree with except for Kick Him When He's Down, Take it Like a Man, and Hypodermic. The lyrics in KHWHD are very powerful to me and I guess I just took a different meaning for the riddle part. Take it Like a Man is actually one of my favorites on the album. The vocals, guitar, drums, all added together = sex. Hypodermic was actually my favorite Offspring song for a while because of the insane drums and meaningful (at least to me) lyrics. Other than that, I really agree with everything you said here.

Eternal Yamcha
04-16-2006, 10:51 PM
Take It Like A Man is pretty much my favorite song on this album. It's rather up-beat and fast paced. The overall lyrics are great in my opinion and gives me some interesting music video ideas. Take It Like A Man deserves a higher score but meh, to each their own, I suppose.

Jebus
04-16-2006, 11:30 PM
All these review threads are inspiring me to listen to these offspring albums again after months of not listening to them. I'm realizing how much I miss this type of simplistic music. I tend to only listen to crazy and complex metal and jazz bands now. Listening to offspring feels like I'm taking a break.

I don't know how you gave Kick Him When He's Down such a low rating. Maybe the lyrics are bad, but then again lyrics in any song mean nothing to me and I never feel any type of connection to them no matter how much I could relate to them. I guess I kind of soulless that way. Still... the word play and the melody in the chorus sound good and that's all that really matters to me when I listening to vocals. I couldn't care less about the message so I never really pay attention to lyrics

It was a good review by the most part.

Hypodermic_89
04-17-2006, 02:28 AM
Awesome review :) I agree with most of what you said.. Except Dirty Magit, I would've given it a 10/10 ;)

I wonder where all the review-whining assholes are right now? :rolleyes:

Hux
04-17-2006, 03:17 AM
Great review. I agree with most of your ratings and reasons.

Forever and a Day
...the best fucking song evar. EVAR. Gang vocals, whoas, and dueling guitar riffs are the key to any amazing song. Again, Dexter keeps it simple and expresses so much MORE. Maybe it's the badass guitar solo. This song was definitely on repeat either on my CD player or head all through high school (lol, I went to high school before iPods). When I fantasize about singing a song with the band, it's always this one. (Or "Jennifer Lost the War," for obvious reasons. But 9/10 times, it's this one.)
Overall: 10/10

Dirty Magic
Holy. Fucking. Christ on a cracker. This song smacked me in the face when I heard the album for the first time, and it continues to. Perfect expression of what it's like to be friends with someone who is bent on his/her own self-destruction. Ron's tom-heavy, reverb-heavy drum style always adds something poignant and, well, heavy on the tracks he's on, and putting it under the guitars makes everything sound that much more spooky. They do something more different than anything they've ever done with the guitars on this track, and it's overall effect is kind of breathtaking.
So you gave Dirty Magic eleven and you gave Forever And A Day ten yet you say Forever And A Day is the best fucking song ever...so which is better?

Dexter_H
04-17-2006, 04:04 AM
Awesome review :) I agree with most of what you said.. Except Dirty Magit, I would've given it a 10/10 ;)

I wonder where all the review-whining assholes are right now? :rolleyes:
Just because a mod does a review doesn't mean they're not lame and very unoriginal at this point in time. I still agree with that tool who said the reviews should be in one thread, rather than flooding the board with shit, and the lame threads that are created in retaliation are even worse.

Little_Miss_1565
04-17-2006, 07:19 AM
All these review threads are inspiring me to listen to these offspring albums again after months of not listening to them. I'm realizing how much I miss this type of simplistic music.

Awesome. When they get an OGame-playing moderator's approval, it's alright! ;) Metal etc. is fun to listen to, but anything stripped down to its component parts wins every time.

I don't know how you gave Kick Him When He's Down such a low rating. Maybe the lyrics are bad, but then again lyrics in any song mean nothing to me and I never feel any type of connection to them no matter how much I could relate to them.

I agree that musically it's wicked fun and pretty awesome, but maybe it's because I'm an English major...if it's not happenning lyrically, I can't get into it.

So you gave Dirty Magic eleven and you gave Forever And A Day ten yet you say Forever And A Day is the best fucking song ever...so which is better?

"Dirty Magic" is in a category of its own. You can't compare it to any other song. :)

Just because a mod does a review doesn't mean they're not lame and very unoriginal at this point in time. I still agree with that tool who said the reviews should be in one thread, rather than flooding the board with shit, and the lame threads that are created in retaliation are even worse.

Oh, I'm sorry, I'll leave you back to your millions of "OK I need to know who thinks Dexter is like sooo sexy?!" threads instead.

Dexter_H
04-17-2006, 07:26 AM
Oh, I'm sorry, I'll leave you back to your millions of "OK I need to know who thinks Dexter is like sooo sexy?!" threads instead.
That's obviously not what a meant. I'm simply saying the fact that when a figure of authority decides to make a review thread it doesn't change the fact that they suck. I have seen several other 'reviews' which were written by no-bodies, resulting in them getting flamed, however when a moderator does the same thing there is nothing but praise.

JohnnyNemesis
04-17-2006, 08:01 AM
That's obviously not what a meant. I'm simply saying the fact that when a figure of authority decides to make a review thread it doesn't change the fact that they suck. I have seen several other 'reviews' which were written by no-bodies, resulting in them getting flamed, however when a moderator does the same thing there is nothing but praise.

endlesst0m's reviews were praised because they were well written, and he aint a moderator. Please tell me you see the difference in quality between 1565's reviews and reviews like this one. (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23042)

It's because this one is well written, not because she's a mod, that this one got praise.

Dexter_H
04-17-2006, 08:10 AM
I don't think people were actually reading half the reviews, it was the principle. You cannot honestly say that people are going to give the same response to a review by a mod and one by a bum.

Little_Miss_1565
04-17-2006, 08:27 AM
I don't think people were actually reading half the reviews, it was the principle. You cannot honestly say that people are going to give the same response to a review by a mod and one by a bum.

Do you have any complaints about the substance of my review, or are you just complaining because the moderators of this forum don't agree with you that reviews are 'stupid.'?

JN is a moderator, btw, and he got flamed.

JohnnyNemesis
04-17-2006, 09:03 AM
You cannot honestly say that people are going to give the same response to a review by a mod and one by a bum.

Yes, I CAN honestly say that, because it's fucking true. Why aren't you actually looking at the reviews for proof instead of making all of these false assumptions?

And "one by a bum"? Dude, our users are NOT bums, and moderators aren't better people than them just because we have responsibilities on the BBS.

killer_queen
04-17-2006, 09:13 AM
Anyway, the review is good enough to make me want to listen Ignition right now. Of course my opinions are much more different, Take it like a man is one of my favourites songs for example. But this is looks so great after all of those shitty reviews.

Little_Miss_1565
04-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Very good point, JN.

Thanks, Killer Queen. I'm still trying to figure out why "Take It Like A Man" has never done it for me.

JohnnyNemesis
04-17-2006, 09:19 AM
"Take it Like a Man" has never done it for me either, actually, for the reasons you stated in your review. "Hypodermic" has always been one of my favorite songs of all time, however.

"Dirty Magic" is phenomenal, but I don't listen to it often because it's not the kind of song I turn to this album for. I always turn to Ignition for songs like "Forever And A Day" (might be the greatest song ever), "Hypodermic", and "Burn It Up", "L.A.P.D"...crunchier, faster songs, etc. More often than not, however, I let the whole album play and love it.

I have more to say about this amazing review, but I think you get my drift.

killer_queen
04-17-2006, 09:26 AM
Ricky, our tastes in music are soooo much different. Hypodermic is one of the songs I really hate. I listened to it for three or four times and since that time I'm always skipping it. I don't even know its lyrics or remember the melody of it.

Autonomist
04-17-2006, 09:32 AM
Whenever I listen to Ignition I always skip Take It Like a Man, as much as I love the album I can't stand that song. I think the reason so is because compared to the verses, the chorus is just terrible. The verses make it sound like any old regular Offspring song, then when the chorus kicks in it brings it down quite a bit. The lyrics "Shut up and take it like a man" aren't enough to bridge the vocal part between the seperate instrumental parts, if that makes any sense. And reading over it it doesn't.

I also wanna say your review was great - I was starting to really hate seeing reviews all over the main page but then I read yours on impulse, just because I know your posts are usually intelligent and insightful, particularly when compared to the illerate kids who've been reviewing lately. If more reviews were written like yours was, I think I'd actually like reading them.

JohnnyNemesis
04-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Ricky, our tastes in music are soooo much different. Hypodermic is one of the songs I really hate. I listened to it for three or four times and since that time I'm always skipping it. I don't even know its lyrics or remember the melody of it.

I guess so :(

Maybe you should give the song another chance? The riff is very addictive...

Autonomist, you should check out my review of the S/T album too. Many people seemed to like it for many of the reasons you like 1565's review.

Autonomist
04-17-2006, 09:54 AM
IAutonomist, you should check out my review of the S/T album too.

Yeah, that was a good read too. Bonus points for you as well, because I agreed with many of the points you rasied on certain songs.

HeadAroundU
04-17-2006, 10:21 AM
Very good review! I love ya :)
but what's with L.A.P.D. being #9 and No hero #10. They are swapped.
*shakes finger*

My favourite songs:
We are one (perfect drums)
Dirty magic (diamond of the album)
No Hero (great harmonies)
Nothing from something (cool song, delicious drums)

Take it like a man is the first single type of the song. Simple, fast and catchy. This is even soundtrack to the movie The chase. I like this stuff. I also like L.A.P.D..

The songs like Foreverer and a day, Get it right and Hypodermic never really made it for me. They seems to be chaotic but that's not a problem, well they are ugly, yes ugly!

and like Jebus, the lyrics aren't very important for me.

Emily_offspring_fan
04-17-2006, 10:39 AM
I don't agree with Forever and a Day description. It's the only song I always skip of Ignition. I don't know why, but I like it less than the others.
And Dirty Magic, you're right, it's maybe my favourite Offspring song.

Ryder1234
04-17-2006, 04:51 PM
why do they use the session drumbeat in hypodermic? thats stealing their own drumbeat. and if u use the snare instead of the cymbol in that beat, and slow it down, it sounds like fall out boy's dance,dance drumbeat, at the start of the song

DeAtHsTaR
04-17-2006, 05:28 PM
I don't like Take it Liek a Man, and I don't know why. The bridge is great and I lvoe the guitar. It just doesn't "gel" if you know what I mean.

Has anyone notices how similar it is to Ace of Spades by Motorhead? I didn't think it did when I was told that, but it actually has a similar structure.

BIG Nicky
04-17-2006, 06:56 PM
Wowza..... that is one inspiring review. Makes me itch all over. I think I'll get to writing mine.

That_Guy91
04-17-2006, 08:01 PM
why do they use the session drumbeat in hypodermic? thats stealing their own drumbeat. and if u use the snare instead of the cymbol in that beat, and slow it down, it sounds like fall out boy's dance,dance drumbeat, at the start of the song
Please be kidding.

one_fine_day
04-17-2006, 08:23 PM
Agree with all, except i love kick him when he's down, and Dirty Magic isn't too special to me.

Ninty Man
04-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Please be kidding.

I think he's not :eek:

offspringer24
04-18-2006, 12:30 PM
really good review but i thought you may have underated kick him when he's down and take it like a man a little,
it is strange that most the time ive seen them and they have played something off this album it's been session, ive seen them do dirty magic accoustic once that was amazing but u would think they pick other songs than session when there on tour!
all in all great review and good reading thanks :D

Vera
04-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Ignition is the album that I rarely listen to for some reason. It's almost like it's too good and I don't feel like listening to really excellent music at times, sometimes I just want songs that I can listen to and read like an open book, nothing trying to move any brain cells. You know? I don't know how else to explain it. It's like with films, I guess, I could watch some semi-decent action film to take my mind off things or I could watch an artistic Polish film. I might go for the action film if I don't want to think. Similarly, I'll choose Splinter over Ignition at times. I just don't care.

With that said, I do agree with your review for the most part. It depends on my mood but Dirty Magic and Forever And A Day are just one of those Offspring songs that I can call genius and really mean it.

I want to do some kind of a "Offspring Songs Everyone Should Hear"-post now in my LJ or something.

JohnnyNemesis
04-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Ignition is the album that I rarely listen to for some reason. It's almost like it's too good and I don't feel like listening to really excellent music at times, sometimes I just want songs that I can listen to and read like an open book, nothing trying to move any brain cells. You know? I don't know how else to explain it. It's like with films, I guess, I could watch some semi-decent action film to take my mind off things or I could watch an artistic Polish film. I might go for the action film if I don't want to think. Similarly, I'll choose Splinter over Ignition at times. I just don't care.

With that said, I do agree with your review for the most part. It depends on my mood but Dirty Magic and Forever And A Day are just one of those Offspring songs that I can call genius and really mean it.

I want to do some kind of a "Offspring Songs Everyone Should Hear"-post now in my LJ or something.

Seriously, I really mean this, but I'm with you on this post 100%. I do that with lots of art forms; I can't always use them too much because I'm not always in the mood for my mind to be blown. Same with the Ignition album.

randman21
05-08-2006, 06:44 AM
Yay! "Forever and a Day" Just came on Offspring Radio as I write this.

I was with this review 100%...until it got to "Hypodermic". It's really one of my all-time fave songs, and when someone insults it, it's like someone insults a family member. Not saying that you insulted it, but I still feel like someone just slapped my uncle. Or pissed on my dog...Still a good review, otherwise.:cool:

Le hotness! Hypodermic's playing now.