PDA

View Full Version : Man Man

Endymion
04-16-2006, 10:30 PM
this shit is soooo fucking awesome. frightningly so! quotes:

This brilliant Philly collective makes music like you've never heard, a rollicking happy accident that reimagines Waits, Beefheart and Zappa without being pretentious at all.

If Man Man isn't in your playlist by now, you're an asshole.

and songs:
Man Man - Engwish Bwudd (http://www.csulb.edu/~plecnik/music/Man%20Man%20-%20Engwish%20Bwudd.mp3)
Man Man - Black Mission Goggles (http://www.csulb.edu/~plecnik/music/Man%20Man%20-%20Black%20Mission%20Goggles.mp3)

coke_a_holic
04-16-2006, 10:34 PM
GodDAMN this is fucking awesome!

EDIT: Unless the singer is Tom Waits, they lose points for stealing his voice.

EDIT 2: It doesn't matter if they ripped off Waits, it still rules nonetheless. http://www.offspring.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

nieh
04-17-2006, 06:54 AM
I like it. I was kind of expecting not to...I've never been huge on any of the bands mentioned in the quote (Tom Waits is alright when I'm in the mood and I only like about 1/4 of Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart and that's supposed to be their masterpiece). This is good though. Much more enjoyable than any of those guys.

Little_Miss_1565
04-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Looooove Man Man! Love Tom Waits more, but it's nice to see people appreciating the man. Man.

Andy
04-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Quite enjoyable, yes.

Endymion
04-17-2006, 11:07 PM
one more for great justice!
Man Man - Push the Eagle's Stomach (http://www.csulb.edu/~plecnik/music/Man%20Man%20-%20Push%20the%20Eagle's%20Stomach.mp3)

nieh
06-08-2006, 04:29 PM
So I ended up getting both their albums and I <3 them. Six Demon Night is so much fun. Yay Man Man!

XYlophonetreeZ
06-08-2006, 04:35 PM
They weird me out. And my tolerance for weird is pretty high. Not as high as Endy's, I'll admit, but pretty fucking high.

Endymion
06-08-2006, 05:10 PM
i should drop some Murder Murder, Death Sentence: PANDA!, The Coughs, To Live and Shave in L.A., or other such awesomeness on you guys.

nieh
06-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Do you think we'd be able to handle that level of awesome?

Endymion
06-09-2006, 08:17 AM
the quintron thread should be revived, that's some really sick shit too.

Little_Miss_1565
06-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Fuck yeah it is.

nieh
06-09-2006, 08:46 AM
I remember Quintron simultanously being fun and annoying as all hell. Clearly I can't handle that level of awesome.

HeadAroundU
06-09-2006, 08:56 AM
Engwish Bwudd.

This song made me smile. :)

nieh
09-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Saw them play last night in Philly. We got there just as the first act was finishing up (I'm guessing this was Sri Salva, some odd electronica thing, they seemed alright). Caught bits and pieces of Buffalo Stance who had their moments but were kind of annoying at times and stuck around for most of Bradford Reed who was pretty awesome (even though I couldn't see him). He said that we were the first audience in 20 years that actually enjoyed his music and actually sounded genuinely surprised by it, not like he was trying to suck up to the crowd. Then there was Man Man. The sound guy sucked and you couldn't hear half the things that were going on up on stage (you couldn't hear the accordion at ALL and you could only hear the marimba on the last song plus a few other instruments got buried beneath the bass, drums and horns). It seemed like they were playing mostly stuff from The Man in a Blue Turban with a Face up until the end when they did about 3 in a row from Six Demon Bag. They also threw in about 4 songs I'd never heard before so I'm guessing they were pre-Blue Turban? Anyway, for the most part the band put on a great show. They're really crazy and energetic and don't pause at all between songs unless they have to change to another instrument (which they do almost instantly). Also, they played some of the songs at about twice the speed they are on the album which worked better for some than for others (I didn't like Black Mission Goggles at double speed, it sounded sloppy). Also, Spider Cider kind of sucked live. I'm not sure if it was the sound guy or the band but all the elements that make it sound like an oddball dancey/swing-ish song were lost which sucked cause that's one of my favorite songs by them. The rest of their performance was great though, especially all the drums and percussion stuff.

The whole show there was paint falling off the ceiling onto everyone in the crowd. Also, my friend called me up just as I was walking out the door to see if I wanted to go out to dinner and I talked him into going to the show with me. For some reason he decided it would be a good idea to only bring his credit card to the show, no cash. So I ended up covering him for everything until we got home. Sucks cause I wanted to get a copy of Six Demon Bag on the limited edition picture vinyl thingy they just released but I didn't have the money for it.

I also feel the need to point out that for some reason I've been referring to Six Demon Bag as Six Demon Night ever since I first got it and now I feel like an idiot.

XYlophonetreeZ
10-21-2006, 12:36 AM
I mentioned in another thread that they've grown on me. Damn good thing, too, because I saw them tonight.

Holy.

Fucking.

Shit.

Probably the most amazing and ridiculous live show I've ever seen. And it's actually the kind of thing that anyone can enjoy. Even if you find the music annoying as all fuck (hell, I sometimes do!), it's impossible not to be entertained by their energy, showmanship, and instrumental diversity. The guy with the big mustache is fucking AMAZING. Not the singer, the other guy with the big mustache. Actually they were all damn impressive, he was just the most so- the guy bangs on pots and slides his fingers down the keyboard with inhuman precision, not to mention that he does this funky thing with his voice where he actually changes his pitch a half step by pressing on his throat, and he maintains a constant unbroken scream while oscillating like that. And some of the instruments the band used were like WTF but at the same time they were like YFY!!!!!1 For example, at one point they all whipped out these green and yellow kazoo things that each had 4 horns on the end, and their drummer even played a flawless solo on it while simultaneously playing a drum solo. I don't remember which song that was on, it might have been one of the ones I didn't know. There were quite a lot of those, which isn't surprising since I haven't heard anything off Blue Turban except 10 lb. Mustache (truly one of the greatest music videos ever btw). Push the Eagle's Stomach and Banana Ghost were very good and were real highlights for me, but some of the ones I didn't know were awesome too. I agree that Black Mission Goggles and Engwish Bwudd and some of the others sounded kinda weird and sloppy sped up, but at least they kept the energy up and never held back on the shenanigans. Like when Honus Honus slammed this big box of spoons all over the place, and when he and the drummer jumped in tandem, and when their guitarist/trumpet player/marimba player shut himself behind a glass door and played his stuff from there and the rest of the band gestured towards him as if trying to get him to come out. And WTF were those cool instruments with keyboards attached to a long rubber tube that they blow into? If no one knows its name, I'm calling it the "pwnaphone," cuz that thing was srsly awesome. I was a little disappointed that they played neither Spider Cider nor Tunneling Through the Guy. Two of my favorites by them.

Whew. I'm blown away. Next time they come to town I'm rounding up all of my friends and making them go whether they want to or not.

nieh
10-21-2006, 05:36 AM
And WTF were those cool instruments with keyboards attached to a long rubber tube that they blow into? If no one knows its name, I'm calling it the "pwnaphone," cuz that thing was srsly awesome. I was a little disappointed that they played neither Spider Cider nor Tunneling Through the Guy.

I'm not sure if it's the same instrument you're talking about but there was one song where I thought they used an accordian on the album but they pulled out this weird wind instrument instead and started playing that (technically accordians are wind instruments too but they're not blown into). Could it have been a Melodica (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melodica)?
And don't be too disappointed that they didn't play Spider Cider. It sounded like a totally different much less awesome song when I saw them.

XYlophonetreeZ
10-21-2006, 02:42 PM
Yeah, that was pretty much it, except that it had a long rubber tube attached to the mouthpiece. But that may have been their addition so as to make it easier for the drummer to play while also playing drums. Their keyboard player/pot banger/sax player/big mustache dude who totally pwned also had something similar, but it had no tube and was more like a big brown box. Go figure.

Endymion
10-21-2006, 03:28 PM
i still think you should all check out mr. quintron too.

nieh
01-14-2008, 04:15 PM
omg omg omg

MAN MAN NYC ALBUM RELEASE PARTY
Body: APRIL 10TH!!!

BOWERY BALLROOM!!!

TICKETS STILL AVAILABLE!!!

I want to go!

coke_a_holic
01-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Anyone want to upload the cd that isn't Six Demon Bag? I fucking love this shit, don't have nearly enough, and demand that more bands like this are introduced in thread form. Endy's Noise thread was pretty excellent and actually got me into a few bands, and I agree that Mr. Quintron is excellent (based solely off a song that was uploaded in the noise thread).

EDIT: We could just have a weird music thread. That would be so rad.

nieh
01-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Sure, I'll put it up in a bit. I like Six Demon Bag better, but The Man In a Blue Turban With a Face is still good.

We could just have a weird music thread. That would be so rad.

Dude, did you know there's a band called anal cunt (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30282)? Lolz!1!

nieh
01-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Here you go. (http://www.sendspace.com/file/mb9v5j)

Endymion
01-14-2008, 10:55 PM
i can start a weird music thread and upload some shit later. i've got quantum homework due in the morning, so i'm looking for excuses not to do it.

coke_a_holic
01-15-2008, 02:01 PM
That would be fairly excellent. I'd be glad to contribute, too. Only the selections wouldn't be as awesome/messed up.

nieh
02-06-2008, 05:14 AM
Man Man - Top Drawer (http://downloads.pitchforkmedia.com/Man%20Man%20-%20Top%20Drawer.mp3)

holland25
02-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Dude, did you know there's a band called anal cunt (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30282)? Lolz!1!

Yeah, I have their discography and some shits are listenable...

Endymion
02-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Man Man - Top Drawer (http://downloads.pitchforkmedia.com/Man%20Man%20-%20Top%20Drawer.mp3)

holy fuck!

coke_a_holic
02-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Ugh, so Man Man is coming here. By which I mean, they're playing 45 minutes away on a Tuesday night and I have no ride.

:(:(:(

BREAK
04-08-2008, 09:45 PM
So I might be going see them on the 21st. I still love the new album, and everyone praises the live show, so there's no reason not to. That Yeasayer album is pretty good too, even though they sound too much like a bunch of 70s bands all smushed together, imo. But I also really want to see Dälek the week before. I'll probably end up going to both.

What I'm trying to say is, can anyone upload their first album?

nieh
04-08-2008, 09:49 PM
I can get it up after work tomorrow if no one beats me to it.

XYlophonetreeZ
04-08-2008, 10:19 PM
That Yeasayer album is pretty good too, even though they sound too much like a bunch of 70s bands all smushed together, imo.
Ya know, I saw Yeasayer live right after I got All Hour Cymbals, and I thought they played a couple of songs really well but overall, kinda meh. They did what most bands like them would do and their singer just pushed buttons and played some of the samples and synth stuff pre-recorded. I guess at the time I was expecting them to be like Man Man or something (who play an average of 3 instruments per person per song). But lately I've been watching some of their live videos on Youtube and I've gotten more impressed. Regardless of how they play their live material, I think they have a better overall sound live than they do on the album. Their piano and a capella stuff with La Blogotheque is especially good.

The more I watch these, the more I realize that Yeasayer is a great band, and also that All Hour Cymbals just isn't a great album. All of the songs have great potential and some of them still sound great on the album, but a lot of them just weren't mixed very well. Listen to their version of "Red Cave" on the album, for instance, and then listen to them singing it a capella on the subway in Paris while banging spoons and beer bottles on the standing pole for percussion. There's an entire vocal part that you can't even hear on the album that makes the album version sound completely repetitive when the real version is anything but.

Moose
04-09-2008, 11:41 AM
ya man man is good...ive seen them twice already, one they opened up for modest mouse, and the other they headlined...they are good and came out or are coming out with a new album real soon...

...they are good.

opivy21
04-09-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm mad at myself for waiting so long to listen to this band. I now own Six Demon Bag, and I'm in love with it.

nieh
04-12-2008, 08:04 PM
I can get it up after work tomorrow if no one beats me to it.

Woo, only two days late!
http://www.sendspace.com/file/p9bp5m

Endymion
04-12-2008, 09:43 PM
it's been a month and i'm still torn about the new album. i like it, that's for sure... but is it as good as six demon bag? i'm thinking not, even though there are only two tracks i don't like (3 & 4). the album starts off great with mister jung stuffed -- an outstanding track with weird synth elements and the typical bounciness and oddness that we're use to from man man. hurly/burly has some need new body elements in it (so does mr. jung, for that matter). then two tracks i generally skip... and the rest flows around vaguely similar to the latter half of six demon bag. then the last two tracks are pretty damn epic.

edit: upon another listen, the whole album has a vague need-new-body feel. i know they share a drummer, but whole song structures feel like nnb.

nieh
04-13-2008, 05:13 AM
edit: upon another listen, the whole album has a vague need-new-body feel. i know they share a drummer, but whole song structures feel like nnb.

I've been thinking the same thing, which shouldn't bother me since I like NNB, but most of the stuff seems midway between typical Man Man and NNB and doesn't quite work as well as either band normally does on their own. And I agree that track 3 is pretty weak. It never gets anywhere near as crazy as it sounds like they tried to make it so it falls way short. I do like the album more now than I did when I first got it though.

nieh
04-16-2008, 11:46 AM
I've listened to it a little more since posting before. Top Drawer sounds kind of like an overly-rigid Man Man by numbers track to me and has never really thrilled me, even when it first came out. I was hoping it would grow on me but never really has. Track 7 I can go either way on, I like some parts more than others. Anyway, anyone not already familiar with Need New Body want me to upload anything of theirs?

opivy21
04-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Please do, if it's no trouble. This talk of them has made me curious.

XYlophonetreeZ
04-16-2008, 04:10 PM
I got "Where's Black Ben" and I really like Poppa B and Peruvidia, but I wasn't too into the rest of the album. Much of it is unbridled noise, which I guess some people like but I've never been much into, and the stuff that isn't just sounds like something Downtown Harvest (another Philly band) could do a better job at. Outerspace starts out really interesting with some cool cosmic saxophones, but later on it just deteriorates into the aforementioned unbridled noise.

nieh
04-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Their second album, U.F.O., is a lot better than Where's Black Ben. I'll try to get it up sometime tonight.

nieh
04-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Here you go: http://www.sendspace.com/file/uq97t1

opivy21
04-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks muchly.

XYlophonetreeZ
04-17-2008, 11:04 PM
If anyone's interested in hearing another band of a similar persuasion, I could upload some Downtown Harvest. They're also from Philly and you can really hear the Man Man / Need New Body influence, but they bring their own thing to the table. In fact, my current favorite song by them, "Napier (http://www.last.fm/music/Downtown+Harvest/_/Napier?autostart)," sounds like neither band. Czech it out.

opivy21
04-18-2008, 04:52 AM
Thanks for all these recommendations. I've been busy the last couple days so I only got through a few Needs New Body songs, but I like what I hear so far and I can definitely pick out the Man Man similarities.

nieh
04-18-2008, 05:06 AM
If anyone's interested in hearing another band of a similar persuasion, I could upload some Downtown Harvest. They're also from Philly and you can really hear the Man Man / Need New Body influence, but they bring their own thing to the table. In fact, my current favorite song by them, "Napier (http://www.last.fm/music/Downtown+Harvest/_/Napier?autostart)," sounds like neither band. Czech it out.

Have you mentioned them in the past on here? I think I remember checking out their myspace at some point. They're alright but I'm not really crazy about them.

XYlophonetreeZ
04-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I think I linked their myspace in the weird music thread. I think I'm officially a fan of the Philly music scene.

nieh
04-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Oh (http://www.brasslungs.com/NSI/music/Embers/02-Ribbons.mp3) really? (http://www.brasslungs.com/audio/Brass%20-%20Separate%20Bodies.mp3)

opivy21
04-19-2008, 08:56 AM
So, I know I'm really late, but I just listened to Rabbit Habits all the way through for the first time yesterday. I'm hoping it'll grow on me, and I expect that it will, but the first impression was a little disappointing. I don't what it is about it, but it just doesn't have the same vibe as Six Demon Bag. Obviously the music has changed a bit, but it feels quite different.

BREAK
04-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Thoughts after last night's show:

- Now I understand why this band's records have never thrilled me the way they seem to do everyone else. OF COURSE they're intended to be a live experience, how could I ever have thought otherwise? Listening to them studio seems counterproductive now. I'm afraid they've spoiled not only their own records for me, but live music in general.
- If these dudes took their show onto the Vegas circuit and charged $150 a ticket, they could be richer than the Blue Man Group and wouldn't have to work nearly as hard.
- Yeasayer cancelled, instead we had to sit through some shitty band called Navigator. A drag. I won't link you to their myspace or anything, because the less people hear this band, the better.
- "Butter Beans" fucking COOKS live. I think it might be because Honus dons a glittery cape and headband and stands atop his stool to sing it, but damn. <3.
- Why does everyone hold up Six Demon Bag like some kind of masterpiece? This band has basically made the same record over and over again, right? I don't see any huge leap or drop in quality between their albums either way.
- The crowd (predominantly male) was very well-behaved. Nobody violent, everyone just out to have a good time and enjoy the show.
- The set seemed to lag a bit in the middle, probably because they started by playing about five fast songs in a row, then switched to a bunch of back-to-back slow songs. I understand it'd be difficult to sustain that level of energy for so long, but I wish their set was more evenly-paced. Fortunately, after that it started to go slow/fast/slow/fast like it should.
- While they were setting up, some kid by the front of the stage kept trying to talk to Honus. Then at the end a bunch of fans in the front shook hands with him. On the way offstage after setting up, I think he kissed some girl's cheek, but I missed it.

Endymion
04-22-2008, 10:55 AM
i'm still debating seeing them tomorrow. it's a bitch of a drive, my car will probably catch fire, and i have an assload of homework to do... but... .man man.

i've always had the impression that they were a million times more awesome live than a recording.

next week i'm seeing the mae shi and pre fo sho though, so that will be nice.

nieh
04-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Their more chaotic songs are better live, but their mid-tempo stuff and slower stuff normally sounds better on the albums I think. That might be partially because the sound guy when I saw them seemed to suck so it was hard to hear everyone onstage.

- "Butter Beans" fucking COOKS live. I think it might be because Honus dons a glittery cape and headband and stands atop his stool to sing it, but damn. <3.
He did something similar with Ice Dogs, I think they closed with that one when I saw them. He had a cape and a crown (I think?) and was imitating that James Brown thing where he would act exhausted after a show and then keeps breaking back out into more singing and stuff.

- Why does everyone hold up Six Demon Bag like some kind of masterpiece? This band has basically made the same record over and over again, right? I don't see any huge leap or drop in quality between their albums either way.

Because it's AWESOME. Their first album was more sloppy and choatic and while it was really good it wasn't exactly really solid. Six Demon Bag was a refinement of that and had more "songs" in the traditional sense (although Gold Teeth is still one of my favorite songs they've done), and their new one follows along in that it's still "song"-oriented but it's more rigid, more has more electronics and as Ryan and I said, has a bit of a NNB feel.

XYlophonetreeZ
05-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Saw them again last night. It wasn't as much of a thrill as when I saw them first, because I kind of knew their shtick and all, but it was still awesome. I'm really impressed with how close Honus sounds live to the way he sounds on the album. Also, I hadn't realized that Sergei Sogay (aka the bassist, aka the guy with the red bushy beard) had left the band. I'm not too upset, as I thought he was their weakest link to begin with. His bass playing was never exceptional or even particularly noticeable, he sang out of tune live almost all the time on the really high notes (which were usually relegated to him), and he didn't seem to do as much other stuff as the other two guys in the back. Still though, I sorta would have preferred if he was there. They replaced him with this guy who looked to be in his 40s or 50s, whom they're calling "Organ Freeman." While he was a much better singer, he didn't move around or display the same amount of energy as the other guys, and he played bass notes on an organ rather than an actual bass. They sort of kept the organ equipment stacked up high so the audience couldn't tell what he's doing. No idea whether he's a permanent member.

Setlist was (not in order):

Doo Right
Hurly Burly
The Ballad of Butter Beans (I concur with Break about this song live)
Big Trouble
Top Drawer
El Azteca
Black Mission Goggles
Spider Cider
Young Einstein on the Beach
Van Helsing Boombox
Zebra
Against the Peruvian Monster
Banana Ghost
Harpoon Fever (Queequeg's Playhouse)-- I didn't know this song was such a huge fan favorite, but the audience went APESHIT when they played this. I didn't get it. I mean, it's good, but not THAT exceptional.

Endymion
05-04-2009, 05:08 PM
just because they sound vaguely similar, i'd like to point out that battlehooch has a full length coming out next month. once i get my hands on it, i'll be sure to post some samples and give a full review.