PDA

View Full Version : Change the World

Mario90
04-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Change the World is my favourite song!What do you think about this song!?
The riff is genius!
OFFSPRING ROCKS!

Rutegard
04-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Change the World is my favourite song!What do you think about this song!?
The riff is genius!
OFFSPRING ROCKS!

yeah
i just love that one

Nounou
04-17-2006, 11:57 AM
That's one of the best Ixnay's song for sure ! :)

Dmarques
04-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Yeah...the drums are amazing

JohnnyNemesis
04-17-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm a huge fan of this song. It's pretty well-written too. It's interesting how they built on that variation of the old Genocide riff and added some sensible elements to make a great song.

Emily_offspring_fan
04-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Hi, welcome to the forums!
Yes, Change the world is a great song. All Ixnay is great, it's the best album in my opinion.

Gayman
04-17-2006, 03:03 PM
It's interesting how they built on that variation of the old Genocide riff and added some sensible elements to make a great song.
I hope you don't mean that Genocide isn't a great song... :confused: ;) :D

el_monkey
04-17-2006, 03:04 PM
I loooooooooove it. the riff also appears in genocide and at the end of smash

nameless
04-17-2006, 03:54 PM
i like it but its not particularly one of favourite songs from ixnay!

SaiKYoU
04-17-2006, 03:57 PM
i really liek teh lyrics... is like a second part of genocide, which is an amazing song too... anyways, it's a good ending for the album...

Danboy_88_No_Hero
04-17-2006, 04:05 PM
This song is well good love how it follows my actual fav song on ixnay :D

BIG Nicky
04-17-2006, 06:42 PM
I have to agree that this is a very powerful song, kept me singing for days on end.

Conspiracy of One
04-17-2006, 06:44 PM
Really? I've never heard this song, who's it by?

Llamas
04-17-2006, 06:46 PM
one of the band's best songs... the riff sounds better in it than in genocide. CTW has some of the band's best lyrics.

offspring_freak_3
04-17-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm a huge fan of this song. It's pretty well-written too. It's interesting how they built on that variation of the old Genocide riff and added some sensible elements to make a great song.
i pretty much agree with you. thats one of the best song on ixnay on the hombre

Ninty Man
04-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Really? I've never heard this song, who's it by?

Its a joke, right???

Well, just for... you know...to let you know, it's the last song in Ixnay on the homre

endlesst0m
04-17-2006, 09:00 PM
I never got it when Dexter says "You're ready saving yourself, You're gonna change the world". What does that mean? In what sense is he using the phrase "You're gonna change the world"? Obviously, he isn't sincere about that, right?Because it's clear that he doesn't believe the subject in this song truly wants to change the world. What I get out of it is that it means...you're really only interested in saving yourself, but you're acting like you want to help change the world. Is that right?

JohnnyNemesis
04-17-2006, 09:04 PM
That's one way to read it, endlesst0m, and I think it's pretty accurate. But what's cool about the song is that this person, even though they're completely insincere about wanting to Change the World for the better, WILL change the world...for the worse! I get that from the tone of the song.

endlesst0m
04-17-2006, 09:08 PM
That's one way to read it, endlesst0m, and I think it's pretty accurate. But what's cool about the song is that this person, even though they're completely insincere about wanting to Change the World for the better, WILL change the world...for the worse! I get that from the tone of the song.

Ah! That is a different but very reasonable way to interpret the lyrics...very interesting, very true. I love discovering new things/idea's about any of Offspring's songs!

Llamas
04-17-2006, 09:30 PM
I see the way the salesmen stare into the sun
I stood and watched them as they fell off one by one
And everyone's so blind, they're not to help mankind
Reach into your bag of tricks and pull another one

(Salesmen staring into the sun is symbolizing how they are blind and only do what they are told. Kind of like the song "staring at the sun", how they are blinded by society... yet, although people see what's going on, nobody does ANYTHING to change it. Everyone else is blinded by their own thoughts, so they aren't out to help anyone else... the bag of tricks is just a bunch of ways people have for tricking people into believing they want to help, when they really don't care about others.)

You don't wanna change the world like you say
You're in it for yourself, no one else

(People put on this huge disguise of how much they want to help people and help the world- take Bono from U2 for example. People act so pompous about how they give to charities, and how they do this and that... but really, they do it to get rid of pain or guilt- so many people do "good" for personal gain, but play it off like they're great people.)

You're ready, saving yourself, you're gonna change the world
You're ready, saving yourself, you're gonna change the world

Now when the day is set, they'll line up all the same
And those that need the most will never get or gain
The ones you call your friends are failing you again
Reach into your bag of tricks and make it go away

(It's another day, and people know what's going on, but people line up the same as before, doing exactly the same things they know are wrong. Still, people are opressed because of these blinded people. Your friends fail you because while they call you your friends, they're looking out for themselves. They only care about you to the extent until they need to be looking out for themselves. On the other side of that, the ones you call your friends are failing you because you rely on them to make you happy... because you're looking out for yourself, and expecting them to look out for you, too, which doesn't happen. This time, the bag of tricks make things go away by putting up a front that'll blind people from the truth of what you're really doing.)

And since you ain't what you say
Then just go away
Cause some don't lie
Some don't lie

(Obviously, you're not what you pretend to be, hiding behind your false front of caring. Some don't lie, some people either actually want to help others, or they're just straight up honest about being selfish.)

Go on now, they won't tell
Go on now and save yourself

(They won't tell, I think means they won't be able to tell... not that they won't tell anyone... if you keep saving yourself, and hiding behind this front, people won't be able to tell what you're doing, and will keep thinking your trying to be a good person, when you're really just looking out for yourself.)

That's my interpretation of this great song... I don't think the people are changing the world for the worse... just that they're pretending that they want to.

.:SMASH:.
04-17-2006, 11:48 PM
ZOMG!!!

definately my favorite offspring song!

or is it?

I CAN'T CHOOSE DAMMIT!!!!

Hypodermic_89
04-17-2006, 11:58 PM
's all good..

T-6005
04-18-2006, 12:11 AM
Eric Clapton's is better.

Try me, Offspring fans. Just fucking try telling me The Offspring's Change the World is better than Eric Clapton's.

It's a good song, for sure. But there's no fucking way.

.:SMASH:.
04-18-2006, 12:13 AM
eric clapton can suck my dick

Hux
04-18-2006, 05:49 AM
Change The World is a wicked song with fantastic lyrics. I love the way it starts off slow soft and then becomes fast and heavy, it has a great feel to it.

JohnnyNemesis
04-18-2006, 06:04 AM

Try me, Offspring fans. Just fucking try telling me The Offspring's Change the World is better than Eric Clapton's.

That has little to do with anything though, you must admit.

bouncingcoles
04-18-2006, 12:45 PM
i love that song! the intro is so sweet too! if offspring had a signature riff the intro would be it!

Ninty Man
04-18-2006, 08:54 PM

Yeah, and Eric Clapton can suck Carlos Santana hairy and skinny balls :rolleyes:

Mr. Noodles
04-18-2006, 08:58 PM
Yeah, and Eric Clapton can suck Carlos Santana hairy and skinny balls :rolleyes:
Eric Clapton is actually is pretty good, but Offspring's Change the World is better. Yes, I have heard BOTH of the songs.

Ninty Man
04-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Eric Clapton is actually is pretty good, but Offspring's Change the World is better. Yes, I have heard BOTH of the songs.

Well... could you give me a link to listen it (IM just saying it's pointless to compare)

IxnayOnTheHombre69
04-18-2006, 09:24 PM
If You've ever listened to the whole song (I mean through The few minutes of silence) there's some guy at the eng that goes "You guys should try heavy metal, kiss my ass!hahaha" I laugh everytime I hear it

Ninty Man
04-18-2006, 09:31 PM
If You've ever listened to the whole song (I mean through The few minutes of silence) there's some guy at the eng that goes "You guys should try heavy metal, kiss my ass!hahaha" I laugh everytime I hear it

http://www.jctn.info/images/oh%20rly.jpg

Llamas
04-18-2006, 10:07 PM
carlos santana sucks post 1980.

Emily_offspring_fan
04-19-2006, 12:14 PM
http://www.jctn.info/images/oh%20rly.jpg

hahahha that bird!!lololol

SaiKYoU
04-19-2006, 01:14 PM
my god! i need to steal you that pic!

randman21
04-19-2006, 02:29 PM

Yes, that would be Calvert Deforest. But aaaanyway...

The first time I heard this song, it instantly became a fave. The tomwork, beginning riff, the first line (I mean the progression of the melody, not the lyrics) all incited a fire in me that could only be extinguished by the ending of the song.

But I was quite disappointed when I found out that my favorite line:
"Reach into your bag of tricks and pull another one" is actually,
"Reach into your bag of tricks and fool another one"

Ninty Man
04-19-2006, 07:12 PM
my god! i need to steal you that pic!

You did it!!!

You bastard

You will have gonorrea in your eyes for that (joke)

Emily_offspring_fan
04-20-2006, 12:27 PM
You did it!!!

You bastard

You will have gonorrea in your eyes for that (joke)

:eek: Sadist!

Ninty Man
04-20-2006, 03:46 PM
:eek: Sadist!

Nah, just a motherfucka :eek: