PDA

View Full Version : Garrottes, Guerillas, and unsuitable languages

Sin Studly
04-18-2006, 03:46 AM
I just realised that the english language uses the term "garotte" for a thin wire you use to murder people with. Unless I'm gravely mistaken, the word "garotte" comes from the French ; the most callow and spineless bunch of surrender-artists ever shat onto western civilisation. Why is this? I mean, I guess it's kind of fitting, since the garrotte forces you to come from behind ; and is a weapon for murdering somebody weaker than you (ie; Algeria) rather than a weapon for combat. But why would anything that's got to do with killing people rather than surrendering to them be named by the frogs?

Sabotage, another French bastardisation. But this one makes a little sense. Sabot = boot, it was a term that literally meant kicking German machinary with your boot to fuck up the war effort. It was pretty much the backbone of the French resistance, and they lavish themselves with praise over it. They consider themselves the most heroic nation in the war because some of them kicked the fanbelts of assembally lines while Herr Müller snuck out of the factory floor to smoke a cigarette. I mean, the Finns fought the Soviets and Nazi Germany. The British refused to give up even as their shipping lines were cut off, the Luftwaffe were pounding them senseless and none of their allies were willing to help them. The Russians went scorched earth, burned out their foodstores and died by the hundreds of thousands to stop the German invasion. And the heroic French kicked....some.... machines.

So, that makes sense, but Sabot? It's a term used in English for some full-on military shit, namely "A sabot refers to a device named for a shoe used in a firearm or cannon to fire a projectile or bullet that is smaller than the bore diameter". Right, I have no fucking clue what that means, except maybe that a sabot is padding to let big guns fire little bullets. That's my best guess. But why is that word taken from the French? What the hell do the French know about firing any size bullets?

And Guerillas? Why on earth have we taken the word Guerillas from the French? I mean ; please tell me I'm wrong, please tell me it comes from Italian or Spanish? And if it does come from the French, please tell me it was coined by them when they were referring to the slanteyed gooks or ragheaded arabs who kicked their colonial frog arses out of their colonies?

Now, firing blanks. I'm assuming that 'blank' came from the French word for 'white'. Again, correct me if I'm wrong. It does make sense for the the French colour of warfare to represent firing cartridges with no actual bullets in them.

Anyways, when I made this thread I just wanted to ask what people from other languages call garottes. Now I want you to point out any assimilated foreign words from totally unsuitable languages.

Rocky-girl
04-18-2006, 06:26 AM
Nothing. We haven't such word here. I mean word with same pronunciation or written like this. We have many foreign words here from French, English, German. Many of them came in our language recently.
As for me I don't like that there are too little letters in English and because of it there are many words that are written likely but have different meanings.
And what language do you call unsuitable?

HeadAroundU
04-18-2006, 07:48 AM
interesting :cool:

wheelchairman
04-18-2006, 07:53 AM
What you are going to like is that guerilla is derived from Spanish, meaning little war.

What you are not going to like is that they used it to describe the way in which they resisted the occupational regime of Napoleon Bonaparte.

Preocupado
04-18-2006, 08:38 AM
From what i read some years ago the sabotage wasan't about kicking the machinery, but actually shoving that sturdy sabot shoe inside the machinery and letting the machine break from the inside out.

Sin Studly
04-18-2006, 08:50 AM
Figures, I guess the French were too cowardly to even risk hurting their delicate feet.

wheelchairman
04-18-2006, 09:01 AM
According to Wiki. Sabotage originates from worker's protests, not french resistance in WW2. So it's all good. It's the worker's defending themselves and being destructive.

Sin Studly
04-18-2006, 09:04 AM
I made it abundantly clear I had no clue what I was talking about, you didn't have to bring wiki into it.

But you still haven't touched on just why words concerning warfare and destruction and resisting are taken from the French?

wheelchairman
04-18-2006, 09:06 AM
Yeah I don't know either. :(

I would assume like you it's from the Vietnam and Algerian colonial wars. Describing the other side.

belen1979
04-18-2006, 09:10 AM
What you are going to like is that guerilla is derived from Spanish, meaning little war.

What you are not going to like is that they used it to describe the way in which they resisted the occupational regime of Napoleon Bonaparte.

Wow, I had just leaned that!!! I didn't know that we used that kind of war (guerra de guerrillas) against Napoleon Bonaparte... (History has always been too bored in school... I must had paid more atention...)

Btw, I always thought in Chile or Mexico when I heard "guerrilla".

*Going to read more history books...* =(

Rocky-girl
04-18-2006, 10:05 AM
But you still haven't touched on just why words concerning warfare and destruction and resisting are taken from the French?
Not only that word were taking from French. There are many French words in English. And I think it's because of Anglosaxon country(?).

Rocky-girl
04-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Yes, but in that time English language has been already formed. And I think I wrongly get the question. The reason why lies deeply in history.

T-6005
04-18-2006, 10:37 AM
This is a stupid argument to get into.

Sin Studly
04-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Yep, lots of French words in English because they belong there. Bordello, burlesque, courtesan.

Go have more sex for money, Maria.

Sin Studly
04-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Hey Maria, you're an ex-prostitute.

Sin Studly
04-18-2006, 11:09 AM
That's because you're an ex-prostitute.

Sin Studly
04-18-2006, 11:13 AM
You're an ex-prostitute, Maria.

Sin Studly
04-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Hey Maria, you're an ex-prostitute.

Lithuanian Offspring
04-18-2006, 12:29 PM
It's because French rules, because of the Norman invasion, & because in the 19th C it was the dominant language, the tongue par excellence.
Bullshit! French sounds like a whino's slurred words of stupidity.

Lithuanian Offspring
04-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Probably like an ignorant french twat? Is that what you are trying to say?

Not Ozymandias
04-18-2006, 01:00 PM
http://www.csulb.edu/~rjames/classic/1144302291193.png

Sin Studly
04-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Ah, you did sound like an ignorant twat, though hardly French at all. No French person can pronounce that murderous, jaw-breaking phrase "whino's slurred words of stupidity".

So we don't think it. We don't (or seldom) think what we cannot pronounce. Weird, huh?

You're an ex-prostitute, Maria.

Rocky-girl
04-18-2006, 08:37 PM
Maria, can't you see that you must be wiser and stop this stupid argument?