PDA

View Full Version : Billy Idol : "..Offspring lacks passion"

RonWelty
04-19-2006, 11:39 AM
http://offpt.proboards61.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=offspring&thread=1145471940

JohnnyNemesis
04-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Well...he's right. The bands of today are better musicians, and even if we like the music they make more, they DO lack the fire that was there a long time ago. The earlier stages of anything are always going to be more raw, more passionate.

He didn't say anything too bad about the band, and again, he's completely right.

SaiKYoU
04-19-2006, 11:58 AM
obviously [for example] "demons" has more passion than "worst hangover ever" [i know that that example sucks...]

but that guy comparing the lack of passion of Offspring and Green day... for punk rock sake!

Lightyears
04-19-2006, 12:02 PM
When you get this big, it's more of a comfortable job. In the begging it's a struggling life on the edge.

platinumpt
04-19-2006, 12:31 PM
The whole passion theory thing is correct, I think The Offspring no longer make music with the same passion they did before. At least they don't seem to make the same effort they used to make. But I still hope for better days.

I had no idea Billy Idol sang for Generation X. If I'm not mistaken, The Offspring covered 100 Punks, which was written by Generation X and, obviously, sang by Billy Idol heh?

YODAvid
04-19-2006, 12:35 PM
I payed almost 40 bucks (regular price, no ebay) for a 65 minute concert.

The Offspring lacks passion!

platinumpt
04-19-2006, 12:38 PM
I payed almost 40 bucks (regular price, no ebay) for a 65 minute concert.

The Offspring lacks passion!
Freakin' word!!!

Ronin
04-19-2006, 12:47 PM
When you get this big, it's more of a comfortable job. In the begging it's a struggling life on the edge.

this guy's got the right idea

Rutegard
04-19-2006, 01:16 PM
The whole passion theory thing is correct, I think The Offspring no longer make music with the same passion they did before. At least they don't seem to make the same effort they used to make. But I still hope for better days.

I had no idea Billy Idol sang for Generation X. If I'm not mistaken, The Offspring covered 100 Punks, which was written by Generation X and, obviously, sang by Billy Idol heh?

well pal....i disagree with you

JohnnyNemesis
04-19-2006, 01:17 PM
well pal....i disagree with you

Wow! What a convincing counter argument!

Rutegard
04-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Wow! What a convincing counter argument!

eheheheh
don't push too hard for me...i'm out of the game now...i'm tired...but i tottaly disagree and he fucking knows why...(i think)...i just don't feel they are lacking passion on their songs...that's what i feel and what i know

as descendents would say..."nothing more and nothing less"

;)

ofsmurfsandpixies
04-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Splinter was kinda awful but all offsprings other stuff was amazing so it cancels it out-if offspring went back to the genius behind there first album,who knows..they may even get on the ringtone charts-they are sort of losing passion-but when your rich who cares?

DeAtHsTaR
04-19-2006, 01:59 PM

Actually, he was the guitarist I believe.

Llamas
04-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Splinter was kinda awful but all offsprings other stuff was amazing so it cancels it out-if offspring went back to the genius behind there first album,who knows..they may even get on the ringtone charts-they are sort of losing passion-but when your rich who cares?

you disgust me. first of all, you think that co1 and americana had the same passion and feeling as ignition and smash? second of all, "but when you're rich who cares?" fuck you. you're one of those people who thinks making music is ALL about money... that's sick. Music is about the feeling and passion. Money is something that society has stuck along side it and made way too important. When a band is in it for the money, they lose my respect.

JohnnyNemesis
04-19-2006, 03:27 PM
If I hear "Splinter was like, suck!" one more time, I'm going to fucking kill someone.

Corpse
04-19-2006, 03:31 PM
If I hear "Splinter was like, suck!" one more time, I'm going to fucking kill someone.

I'm sure Rutegard can be that person.

brothadave79
04-19-2006, 03:51 PM
I think Billy Idol's point wasn't "The Offspring lost the passion they once had." I think he meant "The Offspring never had the passion of older punk bands."

Little_Miss_1565
04-19-2006, 04:04 PM
When a band is in it for the money, they lose my respect.

Sorry, but ALL bands are in it for the money. The only ones who aren't are snotty high school punx0rz practicing in their mom's basement. Where they will stay.

SaiKYoU
04-19-2006, 04:05 PM
if that's true, that guy is an idiot...

Corpse
04-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Sorry, but ALL bands are in it for the money. The only ones who aren't are snotty high school punx0rz practicing in their mom's basement. Where they will stay.

Lol. That sums up exactly the video of Dexter and Greg K in the Garage on the Complete Music Video Collection DVD.

HeadAroundU
04-19-2006, 04:30 PM
I'm sure Rutegard can be that person.
shut the hell up :mad:

Rutegard <3

Thomas
04-19-2006, 04:42 PM
I know that The Offspring don't play with nearly the same amount of passion that they used to. I think their last album that was powerful and passionate all the way through was Ixnay, and some will even disagree with my there. Americana, Co1, and Splinter didn't have nearly the energy of their first four albums, but each had some very passionate songs. Co1 didn't have that much energy put into it, except for maybe Dammit, I Changed again, but Splinter was a gigantic jump in energy level for them. You can't tell me that The Noose, Never Gonna Find Me, and Lightning Rod didn't have that passion. I agree with Rick here. Splinter definitely did NOT suck. It was short and they goofed off in a few songs, but the sheer power of almost every song made up for it. Splinter, in my opinion, was better than both Co1 and Americana. So yeah, they still have the passion they once had, but they are older and they don't have enough energy to pull it out all the time like they did in their old days.

Llamas
04-19-2006, 05:30 PM

every single band is money driven? hell no. if they were, why isn't bad religion on a major label? Why do I know of two bands who were HUGE on the major labels for an album or two, then dropped the LABEL to make their own indie label and produce their own albums and make so much less money? Why do a lot of bands do benefit concerts? Why do a lot of bands never create a 3 1/2 minute song with a nice hook that'll make radio stardom? Why do a lot of bands in foreign countries not sing in english, knowing that they could be HUGE if they did, but have no shot if they don't (and most people in europe do speak english)? Why do so many bands turn down major label oppurtunities?

No, not every band is money driven. Many are, and unfortunately it sickens me because that ruins a great portion of what makes music so great.

Little_Miss_1565
04-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Even BR is still doing it for money, because without it, they'd still be in a garage somewhere. Brett is rich as FUCK from Epitaph, don't forget. Don't let the 'independent' label fool you. Rich. As. Fuck.

Llamas
04-19-2006, 05:36 PM
I know br is rich. However, they turned down major label offers before they were rich as fuck, and before they knew they'd be.

Little_Miss_1565
04-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Stranger Than Fiction was released on Atlantic.

DeAtHsTaR
04-19-2006, 05:39 PM
every single band is money driven? hell no. if they were, why isn't bad religion on a major label?
They were for about 5 years.

HeadAroundU
04-19-2006, 05:40 PM
heh...imo Americana is the most passionate album with tons of energy.

CO1 doesn't seems to be passionate because it sucked commercially and lack of energy has to do something with mixing. The guitars are changed a lot since Americana. They need to bring the raw sound back.

Splinter is a cool album. I think they are on the good way to make their best album (if they are reading my posts). :p

Autonomist
04-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Billy Idol's spot on. The Offspring just sound bored these days with whatever they seem to put out.

Little_Miss_1565
04-19-2006, 06:29 PM
They were for about 5 years.

That's right, The Gray Race was on Atlantic as well as STF. I almost forgot.

Llamas
04-19-2006, 06:56 PM
alright, so I was wrong about my BR comment. that's the only one you touched on, though, and ignored the rest of my argument.

Little_Miss_1565
04-19-2006, 07:35 PM
You should really try not being so black and white. Of course bands do benefit shows in the name of the greater good, and of course bands want to be able to own their own work and not have to answer to any corporate assclown. But the fact of the matter is that having a day job sucks, and in order to fully support oneself as a musician only playing music...well, you've got to make a lot of money.

A guitar player can talk about their hardcore nature and morals to not take any of a label's money while he's flipping burgers at McDonald's, meanwhile the band on the label is touring all over the US building the fanbase because of the money the record label fronted. And then, at the end of that tour, record sales rise so the band gets a hefty paycheck (in an ideal situation). Music, and quality music at that, is of the utmost importance, but bands are not just out there busting their asses for their message alone. You know?

SplinterByMyOwnDesign
04-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Billy Idol can suck my Dick. :D

JohnnyNemesis
04-19-2006, 10:11 PM
Oh fuck that shit, Epitaph is a major label as far as I'm concerned. They're independent in name only, I swear. They have the ad power, they put out as much fake music as anyone else, etc.

and 1565 is so incredibly right that I can't believe anyone is even disputing this.

And yeah, Bad Religion were on a major even WHILE Brett Gurewitz condemned The Offspring for "selling out". They were Atlantic Records' bitches while they condemned The Offspring for signing to Columbia. Hypocritical bastards...

My irrational rant ends now.

0r4ng3
04-19-2006, 10:15 PM
I know it's stupid to point out something so off-argument, but so were Recipe for Hate, No Substance, and The New America.

JohnnyNemesis
04-19-2006, 10:19 PM
Yeah, they released a ton of shit on Atlantic. Heck, that's how I was able to find so much of their music; their Atlantic releases were at the major chain stores, so I was able to special order their other shit from there. There is absolutely ZERO real punk in the Bronx, so I had to work from major label stuff down.

bbqfishsticks
04-19-2006, 11:12 PM
I got something to say to some of the people from the first couple pages of this thread...

I think the things that have happened in this past year the offspring have proved how passionate they are about what they do more than ever. I mean... how often do you see a band as big as the offspring who has already done so much in their career play the whole entire warped tour? Almost never! Probably about one of the most physical demanding tours anybody can go on. Every day getting out their and playing under the hot sun in the middle of summer at almost all outdoor venues. Never knowing what time you go on until the day of the show... I think that old dried up prune billy played on it last year too. But how many dates did he last...? 5?

Weíve seen them back and forth without drummers marching on and continuing.
You watch the greatest hits dual disc with dexter and noodles and hear them talk about their songs and you can see they love what they do.
How much it means to mean so much to some people.
I think just from hearing canít repeat shows the passion they still have.
I for one canít wait for the next album I have a feeling they are going to spin some heads.

And also I think splinter has pretty much become the most under rated offspring album of all time.
I think musically they display their talent as well as ever.
I think some of the other albums did have a much better theme to them though.

I like these boards because some of you cats do supply some good rare material but...
But so many people on these boards tick me off.
You can come on these boards and post 3,000 comments a day
and you can sit at home and listen to the offspring all day but until you step foot into a pit during Gotta Get Away I donít wanna hear you talk like some offspring experts. Most of you from what I have read seem to have just randomly one day heard the offspring on the radio and then bought all their albums. Then come on here and talk about their lack of passion and how much better they used to be... Who are you to talk about how they used to be... when you didn't even know who they were back then. Iíve been a fan through the years and Iíve seen how much fun they have with their job.

With fans like you I wonder how they keep their passion...
But I guess the real question is if you donít think their music has any passion then wth are you doing listening to it?

I think a lot their real fans are still out there though.
Just not wasting their time on these boards like I sadly am.
I know some of you know what Iím talking about.

PS.
FUCK BILLY IDOL & OPRAH!

thecavedog
04-20-2006, 12:31 AM
I couldn't have said it beter myself!

Little_Miss_1565
04-20-2006, 08:02 AM
bbqfishsticks--I understand what you're saying. Minor point of order--some of us have useless bodies (*raises hand*) and can't get in a pit. Anyway, being in a pit is hardly a way to show one's devotion. But you can't sit there and tell me that Offspring are still hungry for it. They're always doing something, always touring, always recording, but keeping fans involved and informed no longer seems like a priority. Billy Idol is clearly up his own ass with his comment that the Offspring have never had the passion of older punk bands, but let's face it, the Offspring are older and have families to pay attention to.

I know it's stupid to point out something so off-argument, but so were Recipe for Hate, No Substance, and The New America.

I'm pissing myself laughing right now. How could I forget? They didn't get back to Epitaph until Brett came back, and then that fucking album SUUUUCKED. So much for independent punk being better than corporate.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
04-20-2006, 08:08 AM

Splinter DOES suck, though.

Lightyears
04-20-2006, 08:16 AM
Your right. Unfortunatley splinter is Short. Yet, Under appreciated, but still Considerably Kicks some ass...

It would have been better if it were longer. /sigh

JohnnyNemesis
04-20-2006, 08:41 AM

Chug bleach.

HeadAroundU
04-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Splinter DOES suck, though. :rolleyes:
post fixed! :D

HeadAroundU
04-20-2006, 09:50 AM
and 1565 is so incredibly right that I can't believe anyone is even disputing this.
"ilovellamas" is so incredibly annoying although she has big potential.

As far as interview with Billy Idol goes, it's so terribly written, well I'm from non-english speaking country but I had to read it 5 times and still I don't get it.

Llamas
04-20-2006, 10:06 AM
shut up head around you, I don't do anything on here to try to piss people off. I just give my opinions and try to discuss things with people. I admit it when I'm wrong.

And I was flat out wrong about bad religion. I'm an idiot because I even own the new america and stranger than fiction, and never noticed they're on atlantic. So I apologize for using them in my argument.

However, I know a lot of musicians, and yes, most people do enjoy the money they make. Not every artist wants to sell out or be on a major label, though. If you're making money, that doesn't automatically mean you're in it FOR the money. I wasn't ever saying that it's bad to make money- I was saying it's bad to do it for the money. Like that metal band who hates metal, but knew it sells, so they started doing metal for money. Or anyone who changes their music style and starts throwing out pop gems for money. Not everyone does that. No artist wants to sit on the streets forever, but most of them aren't driven to be in the mainstream and on MTV. I listen to a lot of music, and a great deal of them turned down oppurtunities to get on a major label ever, or to create songs they didn't want to.

HeadAroundU
04-20-2006, 02:03 PM
I wasn't ever saying that it's bad to make money- I was saying it's bad to do it for the money.
My name is HeadAroundU. ;)

Why the hell does it matter? It's that important?
btw why it's bad to make it for the money?

and relax, young lady!

Corpse
04-20-2006, 03:25 PM
On a side note, 1000 posts in 2 months, that is a scream of 'too many unwanted posts'.

But back on topic, I dont think Offspring have lost the passion. Some bands may have, but I think the Offspring still have the passion to create good music.

Dexter_H
04-20-2006, 06:04 PM
As well as 'No Substance' and 'The New America'. Stranger than Fiction was originally released on Epitaph but then Atlantic bought the rights to it.

Thomas
04-20-2006, 06:07 PM
Chug bleach.

Agreed. *thumbs up*

Llamas
04-20-2006, 06:09 PM
My name is HeadAroundU. ;)

Why the hell does it matter? It's that important?
btw why it's bad to make it for the money?

and relax, young lady!

It destroys the point of music. As a musician, I have a great deal of respect for music and the feeling, soul, and passion in it. When you tie a dollar amount on the soul, it ruins it. It disgusts me how much something as amazing as music has become a social cultural icon of money.

bouncingcoles
04-20-2006, 07:12 PM
hes probobly right but i love offspring and green day no matter what

JohnnyNemesis
04-20-2006, 07:27 PM
hes probobly but i love offspring and green day no matter what

For the love of fuck, learn how to type. Goddamn.

Llamas
04-20-2006, 09:45 PM
He edited his post and it's still horrible :-P

wheelchairman
04-20-2006, 11:25 PM
It destroys the point of music. As a musician, I have a great deal of respect for music and the feeling, soul, and passion in it. When you tie a dollar amount on the soul, it ruins it. It disgusts me how much something as amazing as music has become a social cultural icon of money.
Quit being so fucking buddhist. What do you expect them to do, ask for smaller paychecks?

scream
04-21-2006, 12:44 AM
Idol fails to acknowledge the musical aspirations of the band itself. Sure The Offspring's newer stuff isn't as punk-oriented as their earlier music, but they choose to not stay the same and instead try out different sounds every album.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
04-21-2006, 04:39 AM
So I'm to chug bleach just because I think Splinter sucks?

You'd have to be blind not to notice that this record seriously chomps dong. The only good songs on it were The Noose, Hit That, and Lightning Rod. Everything else was written poorly, the novelty songs weren't even humorous, Neocon sounded like an AFI intro rip-off, Da Hui was too forced, and When Your In Prison was just plain dumb.

Going back listening to their older albums, and even Americana and then listening to Splinter, you can tell that their new stuff lacks creativity in the lyrics, and Dexter just doesn't sing as good on this record. The music, especially the drumming, however, were phenomenal on this record. Another reason why I think it sucks is probably because I was eagerly anticipating this record for a long time, hoping it'd be their best album yet, and then getting this piece of garbage when it finally comes out. For spending alot of time on this record, they could have done ALOT better. They've made alot better records in shorter periods of time. I appreciate that they would put alot of time into the record, but they really should have pushed themselves further, because I know they're capable of it.

JohnnyNemesis
04-21-2006, 04:52 AM
So I'm to chug bleach just because I think
Splinter sucks?

Yes.

You'd have to be blind not to notice that this record seriously chomps dong.

Yeah, I'd have to be blind to miss how something sounds.

Everything else was written poorly, the novelty songs weren't even humorous, Neocon sounded like an AFI intro rip-off, Da Hui was too forced, and When Your In Prison was just plain dumb.

Splinter followed pretty much the same formula as Americana, CO1, heck, even Ixnay. Seriously. The novelty songs on Ixnay and Americana like "Don't Pick It Up", "Special Delivery", "Feelings", "One Fine Day" and "Walla Walla" weren't humorous either. Forced? Check out "I Choose" and "Americana".

Splinter is incredibly similar to their other albums. If you said you were tired of the same old stuff, that I could understand, but to have three albums that sound almost identical, then praise two and condemn one...it's just dumb.

wah wah wah splntr is teh sukxz!!

Chug bleach.

EDIT: Wait, I just noticed you said something "chomps dong". Why the hell did I even lower myself to communicate with you?!

H1T_That
04-21-2006, 05:00 AM
lol pwned.

HeadAroundU
04-21-2006, 05:16 AM
Head Around You, Race against myself, Never gonna find me aren't any good?

Splinter is not that great but definitely doesn't suck! It's just good. I don't think that the offspring is trying hard to be funny. They are not clowns to laugh your ass of. They are mostly just sarcastic, they want to make just a little smile on your face.

When you're in prison is a great song. It shows they huge talent.
Dexter's voice on Splinter sound very natural.

btw I don't love you anymore! ;)

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
04-21-2006, 07:05 AM
Yes.

Yeah, I'd have to be blind to miss how something sounds.

Splinter followed pretty much the same formula as Americana, CO1, heck, even Ixnay. Seriously. The novelty songs on Ixnay and Americana like "Don't Pick It Up", "Special Delivery", "Feelings", "One Fine Day" and "Walla Walla" weren't humorous either. Forced? Check out "I Choose" and "Americana".

Splinter is incredibly similar to their other albums. If you said you were tired of the same old stuff, that I could understand, but to have three albums that sound almost identical, then praise two and condemn one...it's just dumb.

Chug bleach.

EDIT: Wait, I just noticed you said something "chomps dong". Why the hell did I even lower myself to communicate with you?!

Wow, what a tard. Blind, not taken in literal context, ya douchebag. And chug bleach? Dude, I'm just saying I think Splinter is a bad record, and for you to make death threats just because someone doesn't like the same record as you do really shows that your life is pretty fucking meaningless. "Wah wah wah you don't like the same record as me!! DIE!!" <---that's what I get out of your rant. You obviously have some sort of issues you need to work out. And saying something like "how did i even lower myself to communicate with you?!" only enhances your douchebaggery by trying to sound like a superior life form when really, you're just a turd who takes offense when people don't like the same record as you. Yes, I am tired of the same stuff, and that's also part of why I don't like it. Why spend all that time to create something so mediocre as Splinter? So, for attacking me just because I don't like the same record as you do really highlights your insecurity.

Oh, by the way, chomp dong.

DeAtHsTaR
04-21-2006, 07:11 AM
When you're in prison is a great song. It shows they huge talent.
Are you high? They didn't even play the violins in that song.

Little_Miss_1565
04-21-2006, 07:17 AM
And chug bleach? Dude, I'm just saying I think Splinter is a bad record, and for you to make death threats just because someone doesn't like the same record as you do really shows that your life is pretty fucking meaningless.

Point of order--requesting that someone "chug bleach" is not a death threat.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
04-21-2006, 07:19 AM

Well, okay. Regardless, it's still pretty immature to tell someone to do something harmful to themselves just because they don't like the same record as that person.

Lightyears
04-21-2006, 07:33 AM
Less
http://www.penelopesloom.com/archives/night/flames%202.jpg

More
http://www.excessum.nl/offspring-skull.jpg

ruroken
04-21-2006, 07:35 AM
The earlier stages of anything are always going to be more raw, more passionate.

Gangsta rap too?

JohnnyNemesis
04-21-2006, 07:54 AM
wah wah u hurt my feelingz!!!

Chug bleach.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
04-21-2006, 08:01 AM
Waaa wahhh wahh you don't like Splinter like I do!! Wahhhh!! God forbid other people think differently than I do!

Pretty much. And you didn't hurt my feelings.

JohnnyNemesis
04-21-2006, 08:19 AM
It's not that you think differently. That's not a problem. In fact, what's annoying is that there is absolutely nothing unique about your stance on the album at all.

I guess that kind of information gets lost when you don't read anything though.

JohnnyNemesis
04-21-2006, 08:27 AM
Oh, and:

for you to make death threats

Suggestions, not threats.

just because someone doesn't like the same record as you do really shows that your life is pretty fucking meaningless.

This has never been about anyone liking or disliking the record. Notice how I didn't even really defend Splinter, but instead attacked how stupid your arguments are?

"Wah wah wah you don't like the same record as me!! DIE!!" <---that's what I get out of your rant.

This has never been about anyone liking or disliking the record. Notice how I didn't even really defend Splinter, but instead attacked how stupid your arguments are?

really, you're just a turd who takes offense when people don't like the same record as you.

Yes, I am tired of the same stuff, and that's also part of why I don't like it.

Damn, it sure took you a lot of tears to finally get to your fucking point.

So, for attacking me just because I don't like the same record as you do really highlights your insecurity.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
04-21-2006, 08:29 AM
It just annoys me that they would put so much time into making an album, when there are only really 10 legit songs. And this isn't really Offspring's fault, but I just had too high of expectations from this album and when I heard the finished product, I really wasn't impressed at all. I don't know why I had high hopes, but I did. It may have been because I've branched out to listening to other things and in the face of those other records, this was just really mediocre. And that's definitely not Offspring's fault either. And listening to Splinter again, yeah it is similar to past records, but for some reason the cheesiness of the lyrics and whatnot just seem to be more amplified on this album than any others. Maybe it's just me. Other people may not hear it or notice it, but I do.

JohnnyNemesis
04-21-2006, 08:30 AM
I just had too high of expectations from this album and when I heard the finished product, I really wasn't impressed at all.

I suggested this in about a million threads: Splinter wasn't so bad, fans just grew out of the same old stuff and expected someting different.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
04-21-2006, 08:31 AM
Oh, and:

Suggestions, not threats.

Damn, it sure took you a lot of tears to finally get to your fucking point.

Ummmm.....this whole thing started with you telling me to chug bleach because I said Splinter sucked.

bbqfishsticks
04-21-2006, 10:42 AM

good call.

JohnnyNemesis
04-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Ummmm.....this whole thing started with you telling me to chug bleach because I said Splinter sucked.

Oh for the love of fuck, are you illiterate?

I give up.

oja
04-21-2006, 11:31 AM
they're getting old (mature, just not to be so hard...)
maybe they don't have the same "passion" because of that
but it's ok, i never really considered offspring as a real punk band, but anyway it's a damn great band, and maybe they're not 20 anymore but that makes them write more mature songs, and sound better every day week month year etc.

well about the recitals... i think they're really cold compared to other bands, at least in their latest recitals look at this!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ijvtbyko...ffspring%20live

i diddn't like the goodbye part at all

Llamas
04-21-2006, 12:06 PM
says that video isn't available.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
04-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Oh for the love of fuck, are you illiterate?

I give up.

Illiterate? Da fuck are you talking about?

I said "Splinter DOES suck" and you said "Chug bleach" and the whole argument culminated from there.

I have no beef with any of you people, personally, but I just don't see why you have to act like a total ass about something when my initial statement was just a mere opinion.

Emily_offspring_fan
04-21-2006, 12:19 PM

same here...

HeadAroundU
04-21-2006, 12:48 PM

It wasn't nice of you!
*shakes finger*
peace! :)

HeadAroundU
04-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Are you high? They didn't even play the violins in that song.
:o :p :D
At least Dexter did good job.

ofsmurfsandpixies
04-21-2006, 12:54 PM
you disgust me. first of all, you think that co1 and americana had the same passion and feeling as ignition and smash? second of all, "but when you're rich who cares?" fuck you. you're one of those people who thinks making music is ALL about money... that's sick. Music is about the feeling and passion. Money is something that society has stuck along side it and made way too important. When a band is in it for the money, they lose my respect.

i was taking the piss! it seems to me that your a slave to money then you die.....

oja
04-21-2006, 01:52 PM

strange... works for me...

Lithuanian Offspring
04-21-2006, 02:23 PM
Well...he's right. The bands of today are better musicians, and even if we like the music they make more, they DO lack the fire that was there a long time ago. The earlier stages of anything are always going to be more raw, more passionate.

He didn't say anything too bad about the band, and again, he's completely right.
True. But back then it was all new. You saw Iggy jump off the stage and it was awesome, but now it's mandatory for the singer to do something like that and it doesn't seem so cool. But still the offspring could really show more energy on stage. Noodles is the only one who moves. I guess they're just jaded. Bastards!

DeAtHsTaR
04-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Less
http://www.penelopesloom.com/archives/night/flames%202.jpg

More
http://www.excessum.nl/offspring-skull.jpg
Less Ignition more Greatest Hits? Fizzuck that.

Little_Miss_1565
04-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Less Ignition more Greatest Hits? Fizzuck that.

Less flaming, more Offspring.

Hux
04-21-2006, 06:11 PM
The Offspring might be a little bit above average for their passion, I guess they could do a lot better.

DeAtHsTaR
04-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Less flaming, more Offspring.
Oh, okay! I had my mind too deep into The Offspring to realize...

Autonomist
04-21-2006, 06:42 PM
This thread still going? Seriously, Billy Idol thinks The Offspring lacks passion. Big deal, shut up and get over it.

Danman22
04-21-2006, 06:48 PM
i dont get why you people are so worried about passion. i don't see the loss in there songs up till splinter i see more and more songs i like. im not going to complain that the songs aren't he same because thats how it goes. and as far as billy idol's comment he can suck my balls for dissing the offspring.

Emily_offspring_fan
04-22-2006, 06:55 AM
i dont get why you people are so worried about passion. i don't see the loss in there songs up till splinter i see more and more songs i like. im not going to complain that the songs aren't he same because thats how it goes. and as far as billy idol's comment he can suck my balls for dissing the offspring.

Excellent! :D

Jakebert
04-22-2006, 07:49 AM
shut up head around you, I don't do anything on here to try to piss people off. I just give my opinions and try to discuss things with people. I admit it when I'm wrong.

And I was flat out wrong about bad religion. I'm an idiot because I even own the new america and stranger than fiction, and never noticed they're on atlantic. So I apologize for using them in my argument.

However, I know a lot of musicians, and yes, most people do enjoy the money they make. Not every artist wants to sell out or be on a major label, though. If you're making money, that doesn't automatically mean you're in it FOR the money. I wasn't ever saying that it's bad to make money- I was saying it's bad to do it for the money. Like that metal band who hates metal, but knew it sells, so they started doing metal for money. Or anyone who changes their music style and starts throwing out pop gems for money. Not everyone does that. No artist wants to sit on the streets forever, but most of them aren't driven to be in the mainstream and on MTV. I listen to a lot of music, and a great deal of them turned down oppurtunities to get on a major label ever, or to create songs they didn't want to.

Every band out there wants to be successful, and most bands would go to major labels if they were given the chance. There comes a time when sleeping in a van and barely being able to afford fast food for dinner gets old and a band wants to live comfortably. So, making some money off of their music is a good thing. You can still make millions of dollars and keep artistic integrity. Tons of bands have done it. Stop being so closed minded to think that none of your favorite bands do things for money.

How many of your favorite bands go on late night talk shows to promote their new CD's? You think that's done for a reason other than wanted their album to sell? When you hear a band go on some radio show and talk about their latest single, you think it was done for fun? How about the millions of interviews that bands do? Once again, it was done for promotion. It was done for money.

Danman22
04-22-2006, 07:58 AM
well said. :)

German Andres
04-22-2006, 08:43 AM
What is passion if you dont have good songs? The Offspring might not have the same passion they had before, but they have awesome new songs. What the hell are you talking about? :confused:
The Offspring rocks

Jase
04-22-2006, 10:13 AM
What's wrong with a band wanting to make money? If they didn't make money then they wouldn't be able to afford to produce their albums and we wouldn't be able to hear their music. And for the people bitching about how their newer stuff is crap... let me see you do better and THEN you can complain. You may not like an album as much as another one, and that's fine, but if you think all the latest music they've produced has sucked... then what the hell are you doing here anyway? You obviously aren't a real fan, because a real fan would appreciate the attempts they make to mix up their sound a bit and evolve over the years. Yeah it'd be great to hear songs in the vein of their older stuff but then it wouldn't really be new. The fact that they change their sound, to me, shows that they still have alot of passion for their music and changing their sound is a way of keeping that passion. Anyone who plays music knows how boring it can be when everything you play sounds the same. One of the beautiful things about music is the ability to experiment with sound. It seems like alot of people here have trouble accepting change and anything that's new by the offspring that sounds different to what they're used automatically gets crucified. The Offspring rock, they've always rocked and they always will rock. :D

NMHFBD
04-23-2006, 04:27 AM
Yes, I am tired of the same stuff, and that's also part of why I don't like it. Why spend all that time to create something so mediocre as Splinter?

i don't get it! u say u're tired of the same stuff? what stuff? they put some songs on splinter which they've never done before! like hit that,worst hangover,spare me the details. Splinter probably is their most experimental album, at least in my opinion,and still most of u say you're tired of the same sound
tell me please what songs should they write like for u not to be tired of the same sound? maybe album full of reggae soung or album with no guitar or drum sounds, only electronic keyboard sound and dexter's vocals.maybe then its not gonna be 'the same sound'

Llamas
04-23-2006, 11:03 AM
True. But back then it was all new. You saw Iggy jump off the stage and it was awesome, but now it's mandatory for the singer to do something like that and it doesn't seem so cool. But still the offspring could really show more energy on stage. Noodles is the only one who moves. I guess they're just jaded. Bastards!

dexter is often positioned behind a mic with a guitar. he does move a lot when he doesn't have to play guitar... you can't really move when you're singing into a stagnant mic.

greg needs to move more.

drummers can't do that much moving... however, atom is a lot crazier and active and passionate than ron ever was.

as far as ron and greg are concerned, I think maybe both of them got burnt out.

NMHFBD
04-25-2006, 02:49 AM
greg needs to move more.

no way! Greg doesn't need to move more! If he moved more or jumped all over the stage he wouldn't be so outstanding he'd lost his charm.Who else moves like him? i've never seen anyone.

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
04-25-2006, 09:36 AM
i don't get it! u say u're tired of the same stuff? what stuff? they put some songs on splinter which they've never done before! like hit that,worst hangover,spare me the details. Splinter probably is their most experimental album, at least in my opinion,and still most of u say you're tired of the same sound
tell me please what songs should they write like for u not to be tired of the same sound? maybe album full of reggae soung or album with no guitar or drum sounds, only electronic keyboard sound and dexter's vocals.maybe then its not gonna be 'the same sound'

It did experiment with different things, yes, but lyrically and as far as song structure goes, they were very reminiscent to what Offspring always does. Except this time around I found some of the lyrics on Splinter to be very poor. It just didn't seem like a whole lot of time was put into making it; even though it was.

Ronin
04-25-2006, 10:21 AM
since being a musician is their main occupation....it's kinda important that they earn a living. once a lot of you kids grow up you will learn more about it.

i think several of us forget that there are a bunch of kids on here to don't understand how the world works. people need money to survive...sure some make more than others, but hey that's capitalism for ya. and little miss 1565 is exactly right when she says:

right on little miss!
it's their OCCUPATION - the maintaining of a series of jobs or tasks which results in compensation. why don't these people get that.

hey johnnynemesis....im not out to pull your chain or anything, but i would like to bring a legit argument into the whole splinter debate (yes, i know you're not butthurt about people who disagree with you, lets make that clear :) )

my argument: dammit i changed again. worst - song - ever! in my opinion of course. my reasoning is as follows; i've heard of other bands ripping off songs, riffs, lyrics etc, but in this case the offspring essentially ripped off their own music. the music in dammit i changed again sounds just like the music from ixnay's amazed, just at a lower pitch with a faster tempo. VERY disappointing. when i heard dammit i changed again for the first time i immediatly noticed the similarities. and my reaction was "damn are the running out of idea or something?" sad but true. i hope they dont do that again.

and for the dude that was stupidly arguing with johnny, i noticed this statement:

It just annoys me that they would put so much time into making an album, when there are only really 10 legit songs.

think about what you said man.....10 theoretically good songs on a single album is a pretty damn good ratio considering the average rock album contains 12-15 songs. dont be so ignorant.

/ my .02