PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Reviews Of The Offspring

Funderful Callan
04-25-2006, 02:07 AM
Hey Everyone If You Find a Shit Review Of The Offspring Put It Here And Name and Shame The Bastard!

Funderful Callan
04-25-2006, 02:11 AM
I Found The Review For Brixton Academy 17th Sep 2005 What A Dick!

The Offspring remain embedded in the nations consciousness as those cheeky Californians who wrote gimmicky tunes with catchy hooks and hotpants, and brought skate-punk to the masses during the Green Day Wilder-Years. But for those who really know The Offspring, those who remember the flickering greatness of Ignition and the way that Smash became a defining album of a generation of wannabe Dexter Holland’s who were all reaching for the Domestos, tonight’s gig is a sober reckoning that our old heroes have quickly hurtled towards middle age.

Brixton Academy, itself a massive downsize for a band accustomed to selling out Wembley Arena twice over, plays host to an uncomfortable mixture of kiddiewinks brandishing their studs and parents in tow, and the now older die-hard fans with a song in their heart and a crowd surfers shoe nestled in their mouth. Gone are the grand sets and massive risers; and whilst the fundamental sound remains almost intact, the energy and charisma that made The Offspring work have departed with the whole show reeking of ‘Greatest Hits (Retirement Fund)’. Dexter Holland owns the stage as he always has, but unfortunately Noodles, usually brandishing a guitar as if it was a machine gun in Basra, looks rather more like he’s carrying a shopping basket in Morrison’s. The Offspring appear for the first time as a backing band for their lead singer, rather than a unified act who were always far more impressive live than on record. They still have their highlights, with Ixnay on the Hombre’s gem ‘Gone Away’ still proving to be a live favourite; even if lacking in the extra stage effects it was granted during the arena tours.

Reassuring classics such as ‘Come Out and Play (Keep Em Separated)’ and ‘All I Want’ reminding you of the old glory days, but unfortunately tonight’s set is far too littered with pap from the recent ‘Splinter’ album to really provide any sustained treats. Although perpetual set closer ‘Self Esteem’ is in itself just about worth the hour and a half wade through dubious fillers, you cant help but wonder how long it is before The Offspring resign themselves to sustained retirement.

Hypodermic_89
04-25-2006, 03:13 AM
.....What?

Dexter_H
04-25-2006, 03:46 AM
@ Funderful Callan

lol, funny review.

NMHFBD
04-25-2006, 03:58 AM
but unfortunately Noodles, usually brandishing a guitar as if it was a machine gun in Basra, looks rather more like he’s carrying a shopping basket in Morrison’s.[/B]

hahahah!! that cracked me up!

Funderful Callan
04-25-2006, 04:29 AM
Yes What A Dick I Couldnt Post His Name It Wasnt On The Site But It Was Written By VirtualFestivals (www.VirtualFestivals.com) DONT TRUST THEM!! does anyone else have a bad review of the Offspring?

neocon58
04-25-2006, 04:53 AM
So whoever give the offspring a bad review are fucking evil?

Funderful Callan
04-25-2006, 05:03 AM
Did I Say That? Anyway This Guys Being a Dick In This Review.

Little_Miss_1565
04-25-2006, 08:03 AM
Clearly the reviewer likes the band and saw a show--one show--that he thought was sub-par. Relax. It's not like it was a Vice Magazine shitcanning or something.

Also, Callan--stop typing in all caps. That's why every word you type shows up capitalized--the BBS software doesn't allow all caps.

Emily_offspring_fan
04-25-2006, 11:34 AM
I remember I had one from the diary "THE AGE". It was horrible. I've lost it. :( and it isn't on the archive of the diary web page

Emily_offspring_fan
04-25-2006, 11:42 AM
I have found it! :)

here it is:

The Offspring at Festival Hall, June 16 (http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/06/18/1087245116493.html?from=storyrhs)

Autonomist
04-25-2006, 12:45 PM
While I absolutely HATE The fucking Age as it's a right-wing bullshit excuse for a newspaper, that review didn't seem to be all that bad.

I use to have a review of theirs from the Drum Media, but unfortunately I lost it. I've got one from Kerrang!, but I'll have to type that up, which I might do later.

bouncingcoles
04-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Rolling Stone magazine

Halfway through Splinter, the Offspring's first album in three years, there's a song written from the vantage point of a young drinker with a god-awful hangover: "It hurts so bad, I'm never gonna drink again/At least not till next weekend." One reason a nineteen-year-old band with hardcore-punk roots can feel comfortable writing frat-boy-friendly songs is that in the Offspring's Cali-punk world, progress is less about maturity than about finding faster beats and bigger riffs.
Splinter does have its share of serious moments, as on the opener, "Neocon," a vague, Fugazi-esque statement of purpose ("We will not compromise/We will never lose to you"). But mostly Splinter relies on a familiar collection of party-hearty and slamming sounds: catchy pogo punk ("Long Way Home"), sludgy pseudo-grunge ("Race Against Myself"), reggae-lite jams ("The Worst Hangover Ever") and lighthearted ditties about romantic dysfunction ("Spare Me the Details"). Ironically, Splinter drags when the Offspring are most faithful to their roots -- trad-punk numbers such as "Lightning Rod" are a bit too reverential. But like jokey pioneers the Ramones, the Offspring could keep riding their dumb humor and smart riffs well into middle age.

Funderful Callan
04-26-2006, 01:29 AM
lol kool :D

Drum Goddess
04-26-2006, 06:03 AM
ah reviews............

BuddyHolly
05-01-2006, 02:01 AM
I Found The Review For Brixton Academy 17th Sep 2005 What A Dick!

The Offspring remain embedded in the nations consciousness as those cheeky Californians who wrote gimmicky tunes with catchy hooks and hotpants, and brought skate-punk to the masses during the Green Day Wilder-Years. But for those who really know The Offspring, those who remember the flickering greatness of Ignition and the way that Smash became a defining album of a generation of wannabe Dexter Holland’s who were all reaching for the Domestos, tonight’s gig is a sober reckoning that our old heroes have quickly hurtled towards middle age.

Brixton Academy, itself a massive downsize for a band accustomed to selling out Wembley Arena twice over, plays host to an uncomfortable mixture of kiddiewinks brandishing their studs and parents in tow, and the now older die-hard fans with a song in their heart and a crowd surfers shoe nestled in their mouth. Gone are the grand sets and massive risers; and whilst the fundamental sound remains almost intact, the energy and charisma that made The Offspring work have departed with the whole show reeking of ‘Greatest Hits (Retirement Fund)’. Dexter Holland owns the stage as he always has, but unfortunately Noodles, usually brandishing a guitar as if it was a machine gun in Basra, looks rather more like he’s carrying a shopping basket in Morrison’s. The Offspring appear for the first time as a backing band for their lead singer, rather than a unified act who were always far more impressive live than on record. They still have their highlights, with Ixnay on the Hombre’s gem ‘Gone Away’ still proving to be a live favourite; even if lacking in the extra stage effects it was granted during the arena tours.

Reassuring classics such as ‘Come Out and Play (Keep Em Separated)’ and ‘All I Want’ reminding you of the old glory days, but unfortunately tonight’s set is far too littered with pap from the recent ‘Splinter’ album to really provide any sustained treats. Although perpetual set closer ‘Self Esteem’ is in itself just about worth the hour and a half wade through dubious fillers, you cant help but wonder how long it is before The Offspring resign themselves to sustained retirement.

I actually totally agree with this review. I saw them play in Cologne on their last tour and this review pretty much describes how I felt after the gig (except from the retirement thing).

rlplaymaker
05-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Punk rock's version of the wiggles!! lol im fuckin stealing that!