PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the Offspring should have called it quits by now?

Floyd the Barber
12-13-2004, 11:55 AM
If so, when should they have quit and why do you feel that way?

I only ask this cause I've read several posts expressing doubt that the band's next album (if indeed there is one) will be a disappointment. There also seem to be some people on here who think the Offspring should've broken up by now - someone said they had been "beating a dead horse", which I think is a bit harsh.

Personally, I think that as long as they can continue making good music, they should keep going. I'd feel differently if I thought there recent albums were junk, but I think CO1 and Splinter are both excellent CDs.

Hysteria
12-13-2004, 12:11 PM
They're still enjoying it.
They're still selling albums
They're still playing all over the world.
They're still capable of playing.

Why should they/would they call it quits?

Tired_Of_You
12-13-2004, 12:11 PM
I only ask this cause I've read several posts expressing doubt that the band's next album (if indeed there is one)

Let's clear something. There will be another album. Noodles said it on the old bbs, they have another album to make for Columbia. Aftet the next, they don't know.

My opinion is kinda the same as you, I think that as long as they make good music (and I think Splinter was good), they should continue. But I'd better like to see them stop than do like some bands who don't make good music anymore and most of the time continue only to make money. Which is not what they do.

Floyd the Barber
12-13-2004, 12:25 PM

I completely agree. There are people who think otherwise, though, and I wanted to hear their thoughts too.

Revolver-2005?
12-13-2004, 03:11 PM
i liked Splinter a whole lot and CO1 was good too, i think if they enjoy making music for tose who really love their music, let thm cause I think i only dislike 3 of their songs lol...and thts good considering how many theyve made

DEXJR
12-14-2004, 12:20 AM
:mad: How dare u say tht But if they wanna it fie but dont :D

Lithuanian Offspring
12-14-2004, 01:26 AM

Exactly! And I don't think their albums have gone bad. Some of the songs could be replaced, but hey! its their music and they do with it what they please. :D

Dexterina
12-14-2004, 03:18 AM
I also strongly agree with Hysteria. Even though the Offspring are starting to get older, they still have everything that a band would want. I personally think age doesnt matter at all, as long as youre enjoying it and at least still a little bit successful

T-6005
12-14-2004, 03:39 AM
Yeah, they still rock, and I think they'll continue to do so as long as they make albums.

Panzerfaust92
12-14-2004, 04:28 AM
I think they should make a couple more albums, and they should be at least 40 minutes each. I look forward to seeing what comes from their next album.

Conspiracy Of Me
12-14-2004, 05:22 AM

why shud they quits???!!!

offspringbaby2004
12-14-2004, 07:52 AM

I agree with you Hysteria :)

~mandy~

dirty_magic
12-14-2004, 09:42 AM
the simple answer is no, they shouldnt stop

original_psycho
12-14-2004, 09:55 AM
my own opinion is that they shouldn't stop, but if at some point they would wanna call it quits, why should we argue whith their desires (even if it would hurt for a lot of fans... :( )
but I don't think they would stop this soon, maybe take a break, but not stop...

extraordinarygoodgrocer
12-14-2004, 10:05 AM
No, I don't think they should-I look foward to the next album.

This is my idea for the next album:-

(Intro first of course then:)
1. A song in the style of 'All I want' for the opener.
2. A fast paced song in the vein of 'Staring at the sun'
3. A song in the style of 'We are one'
4. A catchy song like 'Kick him when he's down'
5. A fun song like 'Cool to hate' or 'Mota'
6. An anthemic song like the Kids aren't alright (Maybe a solo here)
7. A political\society song (Walla, Walla/LAPD)
8. A song like Change the World
9. A very short punchy song like 'Hand Grenades'
10. A 'No brakes song'
11. A song like 'Amazed'
12. A song like 'Americana' with woahs and yeahs in the chorus- one that'll become a new fan favourite!

How's that?

original_psycho
12-14-2004, 10:17 AM
It's a cool idea.
But still, would you really wanna listen to same damn thing that they did in the past over and over?
I say that all the new and different stuff they come up with for each album are what make the offspring such a great band, don't you think so?
It's like sugesting to them to take the songs from the older albums and just put them under different names...
Hey, it was just an oppinion...

extraordinarygoodgrocer
12-14-2004, 10:25 AM
It's a cool idea.
But still, would you really wanna listen to same damn thing that they did in the past over and over?
I say that all the new and different stuff they come up with for each album are what make the offspring such a great band, don't you think so?
It's like sugesting to them to take the songs from the older albums and just put them under different names...
Hey, it was just an oppinion...

No, I guess you're right. Don't want 'em to repeat themselves.

But what I was suggesting was that they put a mixture of songs (a fun song, a couple of fast pace, serious and anthemic songs etc.) The songs in brackets are just examples of songs that are fast pace, serious and anthemic, etc. Not sure if that makes any sense, but...lol.

original_psycho
12-14-2004, 10:38 AM
I understood that and I thing it's a cool idea and I said it, I was just generalizing it (it's a bad habit I know, but that's just the way I am :o )
But still I thing that it's a cool idea and even if they wouldn't do the next album like u suggested, still a little part of the past always remains on each album, at least I noticed it...
(hope it maked any sense... :) )

extraordinarygoodgrocer
12-14-2004, 11:08 AM
I understood that and I thing it's a cool idea and I said it, I was just generalizing it (it's a bad habit I know, but that's just the way I am :o )
But still I thing that it's a cool idea and even if they wouldn't do the next album like u suggested, still a little part of the past always remains on each album, at least I noticed it...
(hope it maked any sense... :) )

I think you're right that they always have a few 'old style' songs on every album.

Ixnay- a few of the songs are done in the same style as smash, 'Meaning of Life' and 'Mota' as an example

Americana- 'The Kids Aren't alright' Is a similar style of song to Forever and a day

Conspiracy- Vultures is similar to Dirty Magic

Splinter- Lightening rod is quite similar to the songs on Smash and Ixnay

original_psycho
12-14-2004, 11:19 AM
finally, someone who understands!!!
I've seen a few posts about how splinter sux and how they should have remained the same like on smash and that they should have made the album like in the past and shit like that, but they didn't saw that there are still some songs similar with the old ones and that they haven't really changed that much to the point of fans hating them because of changing to much...