PDA

View Full Version : Climate Change

F@ BANKZ
04-27-2006, 08:39 AM
I guess since this is hot in the press and an international political issue i can post it onto The Politics Forums.

How seriously do you take the issue of Climate change, do you take steps to prevent it, how dangerous do you think it is, do yo even believe in it at all,how is your country taking the issue.

Home in England, we take the issue pretty seriously; we recycle, turn lights off and all of that. I personally do, just that i guess, i do my part but i don't do much more. I can't help but feel that the govonment is holding back becaus of Bush though.

Sin Studly
04-27-2006, 02:14 PM
It's just a scare story dreamed up by unwashed dreadlocked faggot hippies with nothing better to occupy their time with.

H1T_That
05-01-2006, 04:15 PM
I guess since this is hot in the press and an international political issue i can post it onto The Politics Forums.

How seriously do you take the issue of Climate change, do you take steps to prevent it, how dangerous do you think it is, do yo even believe in it at all,how is your country taking the issue.

Home in England, we take the issue pretty seriously; we recycle, turn lights off and all of that. I personally do, just that i guess, i do my part but i don't do much more. I can't help but feel that the govonment is holding back becaus of Bush though.

i dare say england are NOT doing thier bit. Yeah fair enough a minority of people turn thier lights off and recycle, but overall the ratio of bad to good isnt in the favour of survival, to put it briskly.

most of europe is doing thier bit, the germans, scandanavia, Italy, Greece to name but a few who are really getting on top of the issue.

Little_Miss_1565
05-01-2006, 04:17 PM
It's just a scare story dreamed up by unwashed dreadlocked faggot hippies with nothing better to occupy their time with.

Tell that to Tuvalu, whose island nation is sinking due to the rising sea levels, and tell that to New Zealand, who is taking them in.

JoY
05-02-2006, 03:42 AM
there's no doubt in my mind that the climate is changing. it's part of nature, so it's pretty goddam natural that it changes. not too long ago our planet was covered by ice & people still wonder if this planet heats up. there never was scientific proof that it's actually the consequence of our doing. we're just arrogant to think that & of course we are ruining mother nature with radiation blah blah & polute this planet with our fantastic inventions, but that doesn't mean *we* heat up this planet. it's our own arrogance to think we could ruin an entire planet.

Nicole
05-02-2006, 05:08 AM
I'm not sure of the extent of climate change and I'm not sure how much of it is cyclic and just a natural process. However the amount of crap we put into the atmosphere has to have some kind of impact and we should do what we can to reduce that.

I feel that I do my bit already. I don't own a car, recycle stuff, a fair bit of the stuff I own such as clothes and furniture are second hand rather than brand new stuff.

Little_Miss_1565
05-02-2006, 07:53 AM
there's no doubt in my mind that the climate is changing. it's part of nature, so it's pretty goddam natural that it changes. not too long ago our planet was covered by ice & people still wonder if this planet heats up. there never was scientific proof that it's actually the consequence of our doing. we're just arrogant to think that & of course we are ruining mother nature with radiation blah blah & polute this planet with our fantastic inventions, but that doesn't mean *we* heat up this planet. it's our own arrogance to think we could ruin an entire planet.

It's true, it is cyclic, but the fact remains that we have changed the chemistry of the atmosphere with the various industrial revolutions and industrial economies. There is scientific proof of this. The earth may be in a heating cycle, but we have no idea if anything we've done is going to prevent it from cooling back down again. The gulf stream ocean current that keeps Europe at such mild temperatures is already showing signs of weakening, and the melting freshwater glaciers at the point that drives the whole current is likely the cause of it. No matter who caused it, some serious shit is about to go down.

JoY
05-02-2006, 08:31 AM
I fully agree with the last two posts. polution does form a problem. you could do something about it on a personal level, but as long as there are factories, plastic bags, refridgerators, cars, etc etc, it will only help so much. which is not much. it's frustrating to think about. the way our societies have evolved, we can't possibly go back to how things were before we poluted the atmosphere, water, ground, before we hunted down animals till extinction. we can't even stop polution from happening, let alone turn back certain consequences.

ofsmurfsandpixies
05-03-2006, 11:57 AM
glowbal warming happens anyway after a few thousand yrs-with volcanoes and the like,were just speeding it up

Jakebert
05-03-2006, 12:11 PM
I think that while a lot of this is nature, I think that we've done a lot to speed up the process. The worst part is that so many people are just refusing to admit that it's even a possibility.

F@ BANKZ
05-03-2006, 01:13 PM
glowbal warming happens anyway after a few thousand yrs-with volcanoes and the like,were just speeding it up
Not at modern rates

bouncingcoles
05-03-2006, 04:52 PM
here in America a lot of people dont think about it. except for me and a few other people. atleast where i live. i dont know what the fuck is with people here. so few people are concerned with global warming or anything. atleast countries in europe and other places know whats going on! more people here need to recycle and shit!

HeadAroundU
05-03-2006, 06:13 PM
blah blah blah
You don't know what you are saying.

noodle654
05-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Yes, we are heading for a Climate Shift. But not in our life time. Proof??

-The water in the Carribean averages around 89*. This year...94*. That is a 5* increase which isnt normal.
-Increase in Catogorey 3-5 Hurricanes. Well you are saying "we just had a bad season." Well NO...we had 3 Hurricanes with the lowest pressure ever recorded. Went down into the very low 800s.
-Pollution...another leading cause
-Remember Day After Tommorrow, "too much fresh water", that is also happening.

Well that is what I think, its pretty good proof, but will not happen for awhile.
I dont care what you guys say to me, I am just sharing what I know.

noodle654
05-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Ways that we can try to prevent it are basic, we are currently doing it, you just dont think about it. Public transportation, rycling, all that stuff. We need to use other power sources that dont pollute the air. But, it is very hard because most chemicals used are very dangerous. Cars that dont produce alot of smog. My brother just got a new car and the smog index is 1.6 on a 3.0 scale. You will hear more about this later on...

pathfinder
05-05-2006, 03:04 AM
wy do people make sutch a big deal of this climate change.

Its happend allot of times with the ice ages.
maybe where just on the brink of a new iceage ????

maybe this is the end of mankind :eek:

hahaha

JoY
05-05-2006, 05:39 AM
blahblahblah.
you haven't read a word I said.

HeadAroundU
05-05-2006, 03:09 PM
there never was scientific proof that it's actually the consequence of our doing.

There is scientific proof of this.

I fully agree with the last two posts.
How the hell can you fully agree?!

JoY
05-05-2006, 03:17 PM
we have changed the chemistry of the atmosphere. I never never never denied that.

holy shit, watch what you're quoting, BEFORE you rip things out of context.

Endymion
05-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Let's be realisitic, how many degrees has the temperature gone up since last C?

a little more than half a degree, on average.

most of the statistical methods used are misleading. the 'hockey stick' graph in particular. the methods used in that were seriously flawed. regardless of how much damage all the pollution etc is causing, nearly all the agencies researching global warming need sensationalistic results to justify future budgets. so they tend to do sloppy work. poor normalization of data, misleading plots, etc etc. plus they need data for stuff that doesn't really exit. temp records going back thousands of years? they use tree ring measurements and co2 records from ice core dumps. this is sloppy at best. no where near conclusive.

the only numbers i've seen that were particularly reliable is that the average global temp has increased by between .5 and 1 degree C over the past 100 years.

HisHolinessSatan
05-08-2006, 05:59 AM
When we fuck with Earth's chemistry, we fuck with our future.

JoY
05-08-2006, 09:59 AM
thank you for these wise words.

JoY
05-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Half a degree in a century is still a lot by geological standards. And, worse than the climate heating up, we've got climate disruption on a global scale.
in the time of the Romans our sweet small planet generally was warmer than now.

it's true, just ask Jenny.

bouncingcoles
05-15-2006, 06:35 PM

i think its quite a seriose issue. Its good that other countries are taking it seriosly. but where i live in the U.S. no one gives a shit.

Little_Miss_1565
05-16-2006, 10:20 AM
i think its quite a seriose issue. Its good that other countries are taking it seriosly. but where i live in the U.S. no one gives a shit.

Boston ought to be giving a shit, considering Peabody's being washed away. Increased intensity of storms is a symtpon of global climate change.