PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone have a problem with Americana??

rlplaymaker
04-27-2006, 09:51 PM
ok ok ok....i know for all you true punkers out there that you may not like Americana all that much beacuase of how "poppy" it was, or something like that,..but it was only a few songs! pretty much every single off that CD was poppy...but how can you hate a CD thats got such good stuff on it, like THe KIds arent Alright, or Staring at the Sun, Or Americana, or even Pay the Man? man, those songs are AWESOME and i concider Americana to be one of the offsprings best...what do u people think???

Mr. Noodles
04-27-2006, 10:03 PM
I love Americana. I even like the poppy songs like Pretty Fly and Why Don't You Get A Job. There's were the only poppy songs on it.

Llamas
04-27-2006, 10:05 PM
people have a problem with americana?

rlplaymaker
04-27-2006, 10:05 PM
i love pretty fly...but from what ive read, most people in here dont

Awesomo
04-27-2006, 10:06 PM
I have to agree, Americana has always been my favorite Offspring album. I even had the cover of it signed by all the members to make it that much more special. http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/Reelbigsellout/Americana.jpg

Mr. Noodles
04-27-2006, 10:09 PM
I have to agree, Americana has always been my favorite Offspring album. I even had the cover of it signed by all the members to make it that much more special. http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/Reelbigsellout/Americana.jpg
Cool!
It's not a fake autograph like that one from e-bay.

JohnnyNemesis
04-27-2006, 11:11 PM
There's were the only poppy songs on it.

What the FUCK is wrong with you?!

wheelchairman
04-27-2006, 11:29 PM
It's my favorite offspring album.

It's pretty poppy though, like everything the Offspring have done since Ignition.

Llamas
04-27-2006, 11:33 PM
I love Americana. I even like the poppy songs like Pretty Fly and Why Don't You Get A Job. There's were the only poppy songs on it.

*correction*: pretty fly, TKAA, she's got issues, walla walla, and wdygaj? were all HORRIBLY poppy. The only songs on there I'd barely consider too poppy (though they all were) are no brakes and pay the man.

Hypodermic_89
04-27-2006, 11:35 PM
I think the CD's just.. not good. Most of the songs just don't appeal to me.. I like Have You Ever, TKAA, No Brakes and Pay The Man..

bd007h
04-27-2006, 11:40 PM
Way too poppy for the offspring, like everyone else said.

Eternal Yamcha
04-28-2006, 03:46 AM
God forbid that they try something different. Like it's really that unexpected... People who are known for a specific style will do things that are considered "different" from what they'd normally do. Such as comedians who are noted for doing lighthearted and very physical humor will do a psychological horror movie.

Anyways, Americana is a great album. The Offspring usually add more upbeat or, what I affectionately call "Party" songs, to their albums. The only album that I don't believe they have one of those "Party" songs is Self Titled. But starting with Ignition (I consider "Take It Like A Man" to be a "Party" song) they've had atleast ONE "Party" song in their albums.

Lightyears
04-28-2006, 06:33 AM
The only songs i REALLY like are TKAA and Have You Ever.

Pay the Man, Americana and End of the Line are runners up but still not too great.

And the rest I don't like.

Little_Miss_1565
04-28-2006, 06:34 AM
I love Americana. They really make the pop aspect work well on this record. I might even like Americana more than Ixnay. Can't decide.

Ronin
04-28-2006, 08:00 AM
God forbid that they try something different. Like it's really that unexpected... People who are known for a specific style will do things that are considered "different" from what they'd normally do. Such as comedians who are noted for doing lighthearted and very physical humor will do a psychological horror movie.

Anyways, Americana is a great album. The Offspring usually add more upbeat or, what I affectionately call "Party" songs, to their albums. The only album that I don't believe they have one of those "Party" songs is Self Titled. But starting with Ignition (I consider "Take It Like A Man" to be a "Party" song) they've had atleast ONE "Party" song in their albums.

right on! :) there's gotta be a ton of narrow minded people on this site with words like "true punkers this and that" and all that BS....and they cant appreciate a well-rounded and innovative band -- that's where the true talent lies.

and if the offspring were to just put out the same old stuff, they wouldnt have the sustaining popularity they have now.

getting back on topic here...

granted, americana is not my favorite album, but it does have one of my favorite songs: Staring at the Sun. it's a very punk song for you elitists out there, and it has a really high energy about it...in my opinion, it's got the same kind of energy that nitro (youth energy) has. boy that takes me back :) the album is a 5 out of 10 on my rating scale, it's not so bad.

i think the reason why a lot of fans hate americana is because of the high "mtv popularity" the offspring received when it came out. which is a pretty lame reason. you should enjoy a certain kind of music because you enjoy it, not because everyone else does - or doesnt.

Mr. Noodles
04-28-2006, 08:01 AM
right on! :) there's gotta be a ton of narrow minded people on this site with words like "true punkers this and that" and all that BS....and they cant appreciate a well-rounded and innovative band -- that's where the true talent lies.

and if the offspring were to just put out the same old stuff, they wouldnt have the sustaining popularity they have now.

getting back on topic here...

granted, americana is not my favorite album, but it does have one of my favorite songs: Staring at the Sun. it's a very punk song for you elitists out there, and it has a really high energy about it...in my opinion, it's got the same kind of energy that nitro (youth energy) has. boy that takes me back :) the album is a 5 out of 10 on my rating scale, it's not so bad.

i think the reason why a lot of fans hate americana is because of the high "mtv popularity" the offspring received when it came out. which is a pretty lame reason. you should enjoy a certain kind of music because you enjoy it, not because everyone else does - or doesnt.
I agree 100%.

no_way
04-28-2006, 10:37 AM
YES,, as someone had said in another thread a short time ago "pop doesn't equal terrible" or sth like that

anyway i think pretty fly was made to atract public, and i have to say that much of the BBS users became fans because of that song, original prankster or hit that, (i went off the track)

americana, though it IS a little comercial, is a great album, and you can't didlike 'em cause other people starts liking it

noodlesisalliwant
04-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Despite the more poppy songs on there- which i don't dislike because of that fact; just the fact that they've been overplayed- I do still like this album a lot- sure it isn't my favourite Offspring Album (that would be Ixnay) but americana still has several good songs on it; particularly Songs like End Of the line, which I think is amongst their best and probably one of my favourite offspring songs. Although I've definitely discovered a lot better bands out there than the offspring, which has kinda lowered my rating of the album itself- especially when compared to some work by the Living End.

HeadAroundU
04-28-2006, 11:09 AM
My favourite and The offspring's best album.

Rinoa
04-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Americana is great. That and Ignition are my favourite Offspring albums.

offspring_freak_3
04-28-2006, 12:17 PM
americana is a good album, but the songs get played too much on radios and mtv so it kinda annoys you if u listen too much, i dont like certain songs on americana like pretty fly, shes got issues, feelings and a little bit of walla walla, those songs i usualy skip, but the other i really enjoy i love have you ever, staring at the sun, the kids arent alright and pay the man its a masterpiece in that albums, those r the bests songs on americana, at least for me

SaiKYoU
04-28-2006, 02:10 PM
problems with americana? well you cannot say everyone, in my case i think it's the BEST CD EVEEEEEEER!

ofsmurfsandpixies
04-28-2006, 02:13 PM
its not really poppy-its just thats the time when it was 'in' to like the offspring-pay the man is fucking amazing

SaiKYoU
04-28-2006, 02:20 PM
the only semi-pop songs could be She's got Issus and WDYGAJ, but they're not! Both are just a funny song with so real lyrics, specialy She's got Issues... Pretty fly it's just the BOMB song of the album, that song it gives fame, and it's teh first step to make the no-fans be interested in the album... the rest, Have You ever+Staring at the sun, TKAA, The End of the Line, Walla Walla, Americana, Pay the Man... well... All that songs are in my ESSENTIAL list, and the rest are No Brakes and Feeling which are also good songs... And the "welcome-to-ameri-cana" of course!

no_way
04-28-2006, 03:19 PM
the only two songs i do not like from that album are welcome and WDYGAJ

ofsmurfsandpixies
04-28-2006, 03:20 PM
the only three songs i do not loke from that album are welcome intermission and WDYGAJ

intermission is on ixnay-idiot-and wtf does loke mean?

Jakebert
04-28-2006, 05:31 PM
It's got some good songs, but for the most part it's kind of a boring album and I tend to skip a lot of songs on it. I don't think it has much to do with "poppy" either for me since I don't mind pop music when it's done right. I just think that it had a little to much filler, especially towards the second half of the album.

no_way
04-28-2006, 05:32 PM
intermission is on ixnay-idiot-and wtf does loke mean?

i meant like

and i feel stupid GoD i'm so so so ashamed sorry

offspring_freak_3
04-28-2006, 06:16 PM
the only three songs i do not loke from that album are welcome intermission and WDYGAJ
haha interssion in americana. lmao

nameless
04-28-2006, 06:48 PM
i really like americana! like everyone else, i dont like certain songs though but its the same with all bands!

Hux
04-28-2006, 07:42 PM
Not everyone has a problem with Americana, just certain people unlike myself saw it as a very poppy album and some kinda disliked them because of that.

Ninty Man
04-28-2006, 08:01 PM

WTF??? Intermission it's in Ixnay.... :rolleyes:

Well, I love the album... poppy everything since Ignition... right.... if you say so... wheel chairman

Matt.B
04-28-2006, 11:41 PM
I dont think the Offspring have turned all poppy and that, It's just that the radios overplay their pop songs. like pretty fly and original prankster. they are great songs but they shit me off now coz thats the only offspring songs u ever hear on the radio. And i hate it when mainstream music lovers only relate the Offspring to those songs to, just wanna punch them in the head!
Nitro(Youth Energy) rules!! :)

Amazed
04-29-2006, 02:47 PM
I dont think the Offspring have turned all poppy and that, It's just that the radios overplay their pop songs. like pretty fly and original prankster. they are great songs but they shit me off now coz thats the only offspring songs u ever hear on the radio. And i hate it when mainstream music lovers only relate the Offspring to those songs to, just wanna punch them in the head!
Nitro(Youth Energy) rules!! :)

agreed....

German Andres
04-29-2006, 03:23 PM
I don`t know what is the problem with Americana, the only thing I know is that is one of the best albums. Staring at the Sun, the best song. :cool: