PDA

View Full Version : Mota Boy's Thought of the Day

Mota Boy
04-28-2006, 01:34 AM
In keeping with the themes of the week, this Thought is about both the British and chocolate.

My professor of American history is, interestingly enough, an Englishman. I ran into him at a party a while back (he's a grad student still in his mid-twenties and we both write for the same campus publication) and asked him how he ended up at his current job. He said something like "Well, European history is all pretty run-of-the-mill, and American history is the same way, but then you look at Southern history and you go, 'Well hey, what's going on here?'." Personally, I think he's just trying to get a whiff of what it's like living in a current rather than former empire.

At the end of his tests he presents us all with a variety of British foodstuffs for the class to enjoy. After completing my final, I picked up a Yorkie bar. I decided on choosing the "original" flavor rather than the "raisin and biscuit" flavored one. It's a pretty good chocolate bar. The thing that caught my eye about it, though, was its slogan - "IT'S NOT FOR GIRLS!".

What? It seems quite strange to me to take a product that ostensibly appeals equally to both sexes, and then market it in such a way as to immediatley exclude half your potential clientele. Hell, the "O" in "YORKIE" is a picture of a stick figure with a skirt and a purse, circled with a cross drawn through it.

http://www.bewarethecheese.com/yorkie.jpg

Underneath, there's an even more dire warning for any men feeling pressure to share: "DO NOT FEED THE BIRDS"

What am I supposed to draw from this? Are girls in England really getting so fat that candy bars are now off-limits to them by national decree? Has the feminist movement become so successful that men now have to aggressively stake out their last bastions of masculinity... in bloody chocolate? Has the Axe (Lynx in England) marketing campaign become so successful that it's spilling over into other markets? Are we soon going to see aggressivey masculine marketing campaigns for, say, toilet paper - "Brick: the brand that doesn't pamper your candy ass. Are you a Brick man?"? Seriously, what the hell's going on here?

And just for future reference, I'd prefer that this turns out to be a thread moreso about this weird-ass hunk of cocoa I recently devoured rather than yet another excuse to slag off on the Brits. There are already plenty of threads for that.

Betty
04-28-2006, 01:40 AM
So, based on your taste testing, could you come to any conclusions regarding why this would be a particularly manly chocolate bar?

Mota Boy
04-28-2006, 02:01 AM
I have no clue, though it may be loaded with testosterone. My body already produces such an alarming amount of the substance that I probably wouldn't notice.

Tizzalicious
04-28-2006, 02:24 AM
Are girls in England really getting so fat that candy bars are now off-limits to them by national decree?

Haven't you paid attention when you were in England? Didn't you see their bellies? C'mon, don't tell me you missed that.

the_GoDdEsS
04-28-2006, 02:45 AM
Most British girls I've seen in Europe (I haven't been to England) were rather plump and chubby.

As for chocolate, I eat tons a day sometimes.

T-6005
04-28-2006, 03:08 AM
A ton is a lot of chocolate.

And the reason is clearly because men deserve something to themselves. Now that the women have everything.

Paint_It_Black
04-28-2006, 04:39 AM
The explanation is that England is incredibly laid back when compared to America, and political correctness isn't treated as the most important thing after Jesus Christ.

Yorkie can tell everyone that their product is for men only, and actually ban women from eating it, and people will find this moderately amusing. No one will be offended. No one will protest. And women will still buy the product.

Say what you will about us brits, but we do tend not to take shit too seriously. I mean come on, one of our most popular newspapers has naked women in it every day. Contrast that to the US, where Janet Jackson's nipple is more shocking than war crimes.

Yorkie is pretty good, but have a Galaxy next time if he has any.

Little_Miss_1565
04-28-2006, 05:47 AM
I want to make a candy bar that makes women stop shaving their legs and start listening to Ani DiFranco--"IT'S NOT FOR BOYS!"

I bought a Yorkie bar because I couldn't believe the ridiculous packaging.

mrconeman
04-28-2006, 05:51 AM
The explanation is that England is incredibly laid back when compared to America, and political correctness isn't treated as the most important thing after Jesus Christ.

Yorkie can tell everyone that their product is for men only, and actually ban women from eating it, and people will find this moderately amusing. No one will be offended. No one will protest. And women will still buy the product.

Say what you will about us brits, but we do tend not to take shit too seriously. I mean come on, one of our most popular newspapers has naked women in it every day. Contrast that to the US, where Janet Jackson's nipple is more shocking than war crimes.

This.
On every point no less.

Rinoa
04-28-2006, 07:10 AM
What am I supposed to draw from this? Are girls in England really getting so fat that candy bars are now off-limits to them by national decree? Has the feminist movement become so successful that men now have to aggressively stake out their last bastions of masculinity... in bloody chocolate? Has the Axe (Lynx in England) marketing campaign become so successful that it's spilling over into other markets? Are we soon going to see aggressivey masculine marketing campaigns for, say, toilet paper - "Brick: the brand that doesn't pamper your candy ass. Are you a Brick man?"? Seriously, what the hell's going on here?

Hehe!

It is purely a marketing scam. Everyone knows that the majority of women love chocolate. Tell someone they can't have something they like and it'll just make them want to have it even more.

Rinoa
04-28-2006, 07:14 AM

Oh yes, Galaxy is one of the nicest.

But the best I have ever had is Norwegian chocolate. Nothing beats Melkesjokolade!

TheUnholyNightbringer
04-28-2006, 08:22 AM

Absolutely correct.

To top it all off, they had a TV advertising campaign to go with it. I can't remember off the top of my head what the adverts were like, but they were genius. Not just funny, but also to make the slogan appear funny and light-hearted to both sexes. I remember a feminist in a popular newspaper wrote a column condemning the product and the slogan, and calling for a boycott, and pretty much everyone told her to shut up.

Andy
04-28-2006, 08:49 AM
It's also a joke referring to the size of the bar. The Yorkie bar is, putting it mildly, a chunky-ass sweetie. By saying "It's not for girls" they are implying that their product is so big only men can handle it... It's a satire on Britains classic chauvinistic beliefs.

And by taking it seriously, you yourself have become part of the joke. God bless America!

sKratch
04-28-2006, 10:39 AM
The day Mota is actually taking something seriously that he seems to be taking seriously is... a day far away?

Sin Studly
04-28-2006, 01:32 PM
Tell a woman she's not allowed to wash the dishes anymore because she has a vagina, and see what happens. Women are stupid. I bet they've all switched to those stupid man-bars just to prove they're independent women who can do what they like.

Genius marketing strategy.