PDA

View Full Version : Re: Photoalbum - Scary bugs

Betty
05-03-2006, 08:46 AM
I really didn't want to start a new thread... playing by the rules boys and girls.

So my ex was a pretty big wuss. Scared of spiders was just one thing. He also had tiny muscles and uncalloused hands and made me open his beer bottles. Whenever I say that all the guys are like "Whoa!? Why did you stay with him?" But where do you draw the line? Spiders? Beer bottles? If my man won't kill the teeny tiny spider in the corner of the room, who's gonna get out of bed with the baseball bat when a burglar breaks in in the middle of the night?

Sorry, I just have no pity because I have no phobias and don't understand what it's like.

So again it boils down to the expectations of the sexes. Because men are typically stronger genetically, should they be expected to protect their partners? Is this still a super sexist way of thinking? When I was a little girl I always felt safe at home because I knew my dad was sleeping in another room.

Andy
05-03-2006, 09:09 AM
I'm terrified of spiders, and I feel that means that I'm more likely than anyone to kill one of the little fuckers if they get in my way. I'm much more happy to take a life of one of those eight-legged cunts than fanny around with a pint glass and a beer mat. If you catch them alive, there is a chance they'll escape and start running at you, if you kill them, it eliminates all chance of them getting revenge.

Basically, the morale of the story is: a man is allowed to be scared of spiders, but if he can't open a bottle of beer then he is no longer a man.

Fucking spiders.

T-6005
05-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Whoa, stop right there missy. Firstly, a fear of insects and arachnids doesn't belie a fear of everything. Secondly, I'd whack a burglar (with a golf club, because it's more effective and I'd be rich) if he came in, and I don't shy away from small spiders, but large spiders scare the living hell out of me. And by large, I mean from the size of my palm up. As do all insects of significant size (cicadas, flying cockroaches, etc). Now, I don't think if I'm unwilling to face these it means that I'm on the whole less dependable in a situation where someone breaks in. It is a completely different dynamic.

Thirdly, I can open a beer bottle, thank you very much. That is, if I'm drinking beer - which I usually am not.

Betty
05-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Haha... you guys are funny.

I know that being scared of spiders doesn't automatically mean you're a huge wuss at everything. I just think it's hilarious to be terrified of little bugs and be all tough and manly about other things. Like an elephant and mouse type scenario.

I will admit that spiders creep me out. Particularly huge ones. Or ones that just end up dangling down on their little web and landing on my shoulder all of a sudden. But it's far from a phobia. And I LOVE daddy long legs. I don't particularly like killing spiders though. Mostly because I hate the feeling of squishing them between my fingers. I'll generally just leave them be. And I was frustrated to be put in the position where the guy refused to kill them but at the same time got super pissed at me for not killing them. Screw that; if you want them dead, kill 'em yourself.

T-6005
05-03-2006, 10:06 AM
In that scenario, I prefer throwing things at it ineffectually (in a very feminine way) until I eventually hit it with a textbook. That's sure to kill it.

killer_queen
05-03-2006, 10:17 AM
I hate any kind of bugs and hate the idea of touching them. But never make it big deal. I mean, I never scream like a little girl or cry when I see a bug although they irritate me a lot.

Spiders? They are the only bugs that I don't hate. Maybe because of the book Spider Web impressed me a lot. I was pretty young when I read it. Spiders are generally beautiful unless they walk on my body. Especially on my naked body. *shudders*

Anyway, I might be old fashioned but I think men shouldn't be afraid of anything. If they are I don't count them as men.

T-6005
05-03-2006, 10:18 AM
I am totally hating the fact that I'm a woman several times over right now.

JohnnyNemesis
05-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Is this still a super sexist way of thinking?

In a word: yes. Extremely sexist. I still love you to death though.

I THINK I'm scared of huge bugs, but I'm not sure anymore because that fear never really manifests itself in the real world. Like, I'll see a huge bug, be kinda scared on the inside, but have absolutely no problem or hesitation walking right up to it, grabbing it, and either killing it or sliding it out of a window or door, depending on my mood.

Something like that happened this morning, in the dorms over here. My lady neighbor hopped in the shower while I was brushing my teeth. Before turning the water on, she screamed, hopped out, grabbed me and yelled "OHMYGOD, RICKY, IT'S A HUGEFUCKINGSPIDEROHMYGOD!".

I hopped in, recognized how scary it was in my mind, but never felt scared or hesitant. Just walked right up to it and killed it, then finished brushing my teeth.

I'm weird.

killer_queen
05-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Extremely sexist?

We, girls are supposed to have a nice, slim body with big boobs and an existing ass. We are never allowed to stay with hairy legs or hairy anywhere. We have to be clean and have a sexy smell and all that girly crap.
And wanting a boyfriend who doesn't scream & cry when he sees a bug makes us sexist. This is unfair.

T-6005
05-03-2006, 10:52 AM
For the record, I don't scream and... fine, at least I don't cry.

JohnnyNemesis
05-03-2006, 10:52 AM
That's not what I said or even close. If you know me at all, you know that this:

We, girls are supposed to have a nice, slim body with big boobs and an existing ass. We are never allowed to stay with hairy legs or hairy anywhere. We have to be clean and have a sexy smell and all that girly crap.

Is the shit I hate most about our societies. The fact that women are expected to be exactly what men want is one of the things I hate most and what I work towards eliminating.

I know it's an easy mistake to make, but you should know me better than that by now.

Betty
05-03-2006, 10:53 AM
I'd like to think the thing about being in a protective role shouldn't be too sexist. Because of the fact that men are inherently much stronger. Even though I'm pretty strong for a woman, I still have a hard time lifting heavy things/opening jars/etc. And even the weaker of the male species can often accomplish these tasks much more easily. It's kinda annoying.

T-6005
05-03-2006, 10:56 AM
We, girls are supposed to have a nice, slim body with big boobs and an existing ass.
This isn't always true.

We are never allowed to stay with hairy legs or hairy anywhere. We have to be clean and have a sexy smell and all that girly crap.
Fine, I'll concede not liking the hair, but I think that, were I to be gay, I'd like a man to smell good. And this reasoning makes me believe that I, too, should smell good at all times. Sure, there's a bit more, but there are requirements that I believe should be met by men as well.

JohnnyNemesis
05-03-2006, 10:57 AM
I've dated some girls who fit into that stereotype, while other girls do what they want and don't bother shaving their legs if they don't feel like it, don't worry about smellin' bad, etc.

killer_queen
05-03-2006, 11:06 AM
That's not what I said or even close. If you know me at all, you know that this:

Is the shit I hate most about our societies. The fact that women are expected to be exactly what men want is one of the things I hate most and what I work towards eliminating.

I know it's an easy mistake to make, but you should know me better than that by now.
Sorry. But I don't know you a lot, we don't talk too much. :(

And the main problem is with the society I live in, I guess. That's why I feel disgusted when I see a beautiful girl holding hands with a fat and ugly guy.

the_GoDdEsS
05-03-2006, 11:40 AM
This thread got me giggly. I'm not scared of insects. I happily kill them. And yes, around guys too because they woooon't! It's so funny.

WebDudette
05-03-2006, 11:49 AM
I have never been afraid of any type of bug I have encountered. It always makes me laugh when people whine about a bee flying by.

Andy
05-03-2006, 12:09 PM
I feel deeply uncomfortable with this discussion.

Tizzalicious
05-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Brrr, I'm so scared all all kinda of bugs. And snails.

One time I saw this huge spider on my closet door, my sister and her boyfriend were here, so I decided to ask her boyfriend to get rid of it. What does he say: "Ehh...Lieke (my sister) can do it!" Yupz, turns out she is the one who kills all the spiders in their house, and he runs off like a little girl. (Or like me. Same thing.)

coke_a_holic
05-03-2006, 12:24 PM
In that scenario, I prefer throwing things at it ineffectually (in a very feminine way) until I eventually hit it with a textbook. That's sure to kill it.
ftw!

I gladly kill insects, except for crickets. The fact they jump like that when you get close is fucking creepy. I am afraid of basically any insect that is relatively big and has a mode of movement that is outside of most bug-movement. I'll still get rid of them, though. Spiders are only scary when they're fucking huge, which they generally are in my encounters with them.

Corpse
05-03-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm scared of Wasps and that, but thats all really.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Insects don't scare me, unless they can fly. Bees and wasps make me cringe and I end up flapping my arms about and squealing in a voice a few dozen decibels above what most men can achieve.

Spiders are fine, though I still don't like to touch them. This is due to seeing an electron-microscope picture of a spider's leg, and ugh. Now I just throw things at them until they die. It never occurs to me to let them out in the wild. Fuck that. There's more insects in a square mile of normal grass than there are humans on the entire earth. There's plenty more.

Btw, Craneflies (Daddy Long Legs) are hilarious. Know why? They have the most potent poison known to mankind. But they can't administer it, because they have no teeth. ftw.

Sin Studly
05-03-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm scared of spiders. But I'm allowed to be scared of spiders. Spider bites can kill you or give you the flesh-rotting disease over here.

The rest of you are a pack of whining pussies.

wheelchairman
05-03-2006, 02:40 PM
I enjoy killing spiders. I think because I am a little scared of them. Luckily denmark doesn't really have spiders. At least not like Oregon does...jeez.

Sin Studly
05-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Europe doesn't have spiders at all. If I lived in Europe I wouldn't be afraid of spiders in the slightest. What's the worst that can do, give a painful or itchy bite? Pfft.

Andy
05-03-2006, 02:46 PM
What's the worst that can do, give a painful or itchy bite? Pfft.
Not even that.

wheelchairman
05-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Yeah we ain't got nothing. It's awesome. Take that nature!

Sin Studly
05-03-2006, 02:48 PM
I got bit once, quite a few years ago, and the doctor thought i got The Disease from it.

It was a fucking terrifying week. Not to mention physically agonising. But eventually it cleared up.

the_GoDdEsS
05-03-2006, 02:50 PM
We don't have a single spider that bites. Yay!

Sin Studly
05-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Everyone in South Australia is fucking terrified of these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_tailed_spider) evil little motherfuckers. Male or female doesn't matter, law clerk or biker, it doesn't matter. Everybody's voice rises a couple of octaves when somebody shouts that there's a white-tip in the room. These are the things nightmares are made of, and I could imagine Steve Irwin flapping his hands around like a scared little girl when ones around.

0r4ng3
05-03-2006, 02:56 PM
I'm basically elaborating what I said in the Photo Album thread, before I knew this one existed.

I never had a problem with spiders. Sure, when I see one at first, I'm all like "whoa spider!", but that's it.

Bees, wasps, and the like freak me the fuck out. I heard that they can smell fear...

nieh
05-03-2006, 04:30 PM
I'm scared to death of spiders and some (but not all) bugs. If I'm in a situation where someone else I'm with is even more scared than I am (which is rare but it's happened) then I'll suck it up and get rid of the thing myself. I don't really freeze up around people though. I almost tackled my mom while she was visiting a couple months ago because she came home after I was already asleep and I totally forgot she was supposed to come back that night. I heard my door open and someone walk in and thought it was someone trying to rob me or something.

Tizzalicious
05-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Eh...so what do you do when there's a huge wasp in your room trying got get out of a window that doesn't open? =/

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Throwing things at it might not be a good idea. Personally I'd spray it.

Tizzalicious
05-04-2006, 10:54 AM
We don't have any insect spray stuff =/

It's already pretty upset from being stuck between the window and the curtain until I opened it, it seems. I don't know why it doesn't just fly to one of the other windows. Grrrr.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-04-2006, 10:57 AM
ok, cup-and-paper it then.

Corpse
05-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Everyone in South Australia is fucking terrified of these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_tailed_spider) evil little motherfuckers. Male or female doesn't matter, law clerk or biker, it doesn't matter. Everybody's voice rises a couple of octaves when somebody shouts that there's a white-tip in the room. These are the things nightmares are made of, and I could imagine Steve Irwin flapping his hands around like a scared little girl when ones around.

I watch nature shows and some of the spiders in both America and Austrailia scare the shit out of me.

Sinister
05-04-2006, 10:59 AM
I'm not scared of anything a stomp will kill. except when it's dangerous and out of stomp-reach.

Tizzalicious
05-04-2006, 11:05 AM
ok, cup-and-paper it then.

eeee, a wasp? no way!

But it flew away now, phew.

If it would have been a spider, I would have vaccuumed it :P

killer_queen
05-04-2006, 11:09 AM
It's almost impossible to kill spiders. They are too fast to catch. But you have a cat Tizz. Just wait for Simba to catch and eat it.

Tizzalicious
05-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Simba has an eating disorder, he only eats when someone is standing next to him :P

JohnnyNemesis
05-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Am I the only one that just grabs bugs with my hands? It's much easier that way.

wheelchairman
05-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Am I the only one that just grabs bugs with my hands? It's much easier that way.
That's pretty much what I resort to, if and when I have bugs. Which is not often.

Sunny
05-04-2006, 01:14 PM
i'm not scared of spiders, at least not the ones in the northeast. i don't usually kill them, i don't see the point. i usually grab a sheet of paper and try to put the little guy on it and throw it outside.

i am, however, absolutely terrified of ants and wasps. like, phobia-style terrified.

beep.

killer_queen
05-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Ants? The house we moved out last year was such an ant farm. Having a garden is not always a great thing.
I had those little, tiny ants in my bed, on my neck, in my tomato soup (that's why I'm not drinking it anymore), in my clothes... They were everywhere.

Ants don't scare me but I definitely hate them. I hope they all die someday.

Sin Studly
05-04-2006, 01:24 PM
i am, however, absolutely terrified of ants

How can you be afraid of ants, they're everywhere.

Sunny
05-04-2006, 01:26 PM
i live in NYC. there's hardly any.

and i can't give you a rational answer as to why i'm afraid of ants specifically. i have been for as long as i can remember.

JohnnyNemesis
05-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Fears are inherently irrational, so don't worry about that. I'm scared of dolphins and BUTTERFLIES, for fuck's sake.

the_GoDdEsS
05-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Zomg, I used to keep ants as a kid.

Sunny
05-04-2006, 01:29 PM
dolphins are kinda freaky, come to think of it. ;p

i hate it when people try to explain to me "but they're so small" "you could kill hundreds of them with one foot", "they can't hurt you", etc. as if i didn't fucking KNOW that already.

wheelchairman
05-04-2006, 01:30 PM
So if a butterfly flew around you, you would be terrified, or just really uncomfortable?

Sin Studly
05-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Surely there were ants everywhere in the kyketown you grew up in?

JohnnyNemesis
05-04-2006, 01:35 PM
So if a butterfly flew around you, you would be terrified, or just really uncomfortable?

Just really uncomfortable. I mean, a butterfly could probably land on me and I wouldn't be terrified, just uncomfortable. But in my head, I'd interpret the butterfly's existence as something that scares the fuck out of me.

dolphins are kinda freaky, come to think of it. ;p

Damn straight! And they're smart enough to FUCK YOU UP!

Sunny
05-04-2006, 01:36 PM
Not sure what kinda ant-ridden city you grew up in, but damn, I sure don't feel like visiting Australia at this point, if that's what your urban areas are like.

wheelchairman
05-04-2006, 01:38 PM
I remember finding plenty of ants, and that was just in the typical Oregon neighborhood. I'd follow the trails into other people's yards, or just stomp on them out of sadistic childish glee. But they were common as dirt. So I don't know what the deal with New York is :p

Sin Studly
05-04-2006, 01:41 PM
Not sure what kinda ant-ridden city you grew up in, but damn, I sure don't feel like visiting Australia at this point, if that's what your urban areas are like.

Ants are worse than necrotising arachniditus?

Sunny
05-04-2006, 01:42 PM
there's ants in some apartments :P and of course in parks and people's yards.

there's ants in the park i live on. PISSED.

other than that, though, the streets of new york are anything but welcoming to little crawly creatures.

Sunny
05-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Ants are worse than necrotising arachniditus?

i'm assuming flesh-rotting, poisonous spiders don't roam the streets of big cities. ants apparently do.

Sin Studly
05-04-2006, 02:04 PM
i'm assuming flesh-rotting, poisonous spiders don't roam the streets of big cities.

Of course they do.

Sin Studly
05-04-2006, 02:07 PM
The white tailed spider (Lampona cylindrata) is commonly found in homes throughout Australia. It tends to hide in bedding, or within clothes left on the floor.

Lolzorz, h8 them.

All About Eve
05-04-2006, 02:12 PM
There is a fucking wasp in my room. I've decided to name him Fucking Wasp VI, as he's the sixth I've gotten recently. I can't find a nest outside my door, but there has to be one. I'm trying to tape the crack up now. But what the hell, you should see these things. They're humongous.

killer_queen
05-04-2006, 02:16 PM
There is a fucking wasp in my room.
Give it a wet kiss for me.

Sunny
05-04-2006, 02:20 PM
There is a fucking wasp in my room. I've decided to name him Fucking Wasp VI, as he's the sixth I've gotten recently. I can't find a nest outside my door, but there has to be one. I'm trying to tape the crack up now. But what the hell, you should see these things. They're humongous.

uh-oh. there's gotta be a nest. eeee. >_<

the_GoDdEsS
05-04-2006, 02:27 PM
In my old house I had literally at least two wasps living inside of my wooden window, inside of the room. I always kept it open in summer and somehow they must have found a small crack in the wood. Funny thing is they never stung me. And I had never managed to get rid of them until I wasn't home for two weeks and they couldn't get outside and died. Lolz.

And biting spiders in bed sound like a real EEK.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-04-2006, 06:48 PM
You know what else is kinda freaky? MOTHS.

Though I have a good story about moths. One time one flew into a light in my front room, which is one of those inverted-lamp type ones. So I put a magazine over the top of the light and just listened to the moth sizzle.

eheheh.

Rag Doll
05-04-2006, 07:02 PM
don't you have like....huge moths in england? thats what some of the kids that went to cambridge last summer told me. =\

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Some moths are huge here. The one that got stuck in the light was about this far across:

|---------------------------------|

Dunno how that compares to there.

nieh
05-04-2006, 07:07 PM
http://www.emergentchaos.com/images/aug-05/mothra.jpg

This is about the size of a baby moth over there.

T-6005
05-04-2006, 08:02 PM
I think I just have a phobia related to all bugs - particularly ones that can fly.

Cockroaches, butterflies, wasps - especially hornets. Man, those things scare the hell out of me.

Fine, so I'm phobia-ridden. I also hate flying - which is ironic.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-04-2006, 08:04 PM
http://www.emergentchaos.com/images/aug-05/mothra.jpg

This is about the size of a baby moth over there.

YOU KIDDING ME? That's like a fuckin' bat!

Rocky-girl
05-05-2006, 05:57 AM
Oh such good thread, I'm sorry that I find it only now.:(

Well my point is here:
1. I can't say that I'm stong enough, but don't like to be weak. If I can do something I'll do it. I can't see nothing wrong in openning beer by myself or carriing bag. Also I can't understand girls who made thier boyfriends carry a lot of different things and never mind about that he had tired.
2. Weak? What does mean weak? One have a brave heart and be honest but have no muscles. Another have muscles but no honest and heart and bravery. Is he strong? I don't think so.

Lars
05-05-2006, 07:37 AM
don't you have like....huge moths in england? thats what some of the kids that went to cambridge last summer told me. =\
I feel like I missed out when I went to Cambridge for a day last year, I should have waited till it go darker to see these.

killer_queen
05-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Also I can't understand girls who made thier boyfriends carry a lot of different things and never mind about that he had tired.

I always do that. Whenever I see a friend of mine while shopping I give all my bags to him. And I think, boys (most of them) like it. It makes them feel like a men. Asking boys to do something like carrying, opening jars, killing bugs is a great way of flirting.

Rocky-girl
05-05-2006, 11:11 AM
I know, but sometimes I can't understand that. I can't give you an example right now but sometimes I can't look on it!

Psychopath69_06
05-05-2006, 11:15 AM
spiders are scarey but i dont like to kill um... roaches however are a different story...