PDA

View Full Version : one more recommendation thread...

killer_queen
05-07-2006, 01:35 PM
I need to stop my life on the internet and lock myself in my room. So, can anyone recommend me some books that I can read easily? I don't want something which makes me think for days after reading. I just want them to keep me busy while not studying.

Go on, suggest something and make me happy...

no_way
05-07-2006, 01:38 PM
i don't think it'll be bad for you, reading a book that makes you think, it wouldn't be bad for anyone actually, but if you're too lazy i can offer you..

Narnia?? :confused:

coke_a_holic
05-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Choke by Palahniuk is perfect for a moment like this. It's a book that's just hard to put down; itasted me about 3 days because I was reading off-and-on. It's all entertainment, though, there's not very much substance to it and it's written very informally. It's just fun to read.

killer_queen
05-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Never heard of it. What's it about?

Preocupado
05-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Killer Queen: Small book, cheap price, amusing, funny, interesting, easy to think about and to understand, yet memorable.

Author: Ítalo Calvino
Title: The Nonexistent Knight

An empty suit of armor named Agilulf is the hero of this witty parody of medieval knighthood in the form of a tale told by a nun. A challenge to his honor sends Agilulf on a search through France, England, and North Africa to confirm the chastity of a virgin he saved from rape years earlier. There are many surprising turns of plot, not the least of which is the nun's closing confession.

coke_a_holic
05-07-2006, 01:54 PM
It's essentially about this sex-addict who works in a colonial theme park for minimum wage who's mom is in a mental-hospital/retirement home (I never really understood which it was), so he chokes on food while in restaurants so that the people who save him will send him money. It has zero plot/character development, but is so much fun to read that it doesn't matter. You may not enjoy it, though, because it's widely regarded as being disgusting and/or disturbing.

EDIT: Here's Amazon's site for it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385720920/qid=1147031708/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-4280396-0879017?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

killer_queen
05-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Well, it sounds pretty interesting in fact. Thanks a lot, Mike (it's Mike, right? sometimes I suck at remembering names)

wheelchairman
05-07-2006, 02:00 PM
All of Chuck Palahniuk's books are filled with things to think deeply about. Whether you chose to or not. The plus side is they are also really entertaining. Although I say he should be reserved for Cascadians only.

By Chuck I can recommend:
Survivors
Invisible Monsters

I just read "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" which I just couldn't put down. It's by Ken Kesey (another Cascadian.)

Before that I really loved "The Cider House Rules" which is great too. I've completely blanked out the author's name though. Irving I think.

Depends what you like though.

the_GoDdEsS
05-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Ever since I started reading e-books getting away from the computer has gotten harder.

Maybe try Fowles and his The Collector. It's a stalkerish story of a creep, written from two points of view. Not necessarily something I'd class as excellent but definitely fun to read and not difficult to stomach.

coke_a_holic
05-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Well, it sounds pretty interesting in fact. Thanks a lot, Mike (it's Mike, right? sometimes I suck at remembering names)
Yep, it's Mike. I hope you pick it up, because it really got me through the first few days of spring break when all of my friends went out of town.

Per: I've been meaning to get Invisible Monsters, but all my library has sa of now is Choke and Diary. It's completely uncool.

EDIT: Also, if you like being creeped out, HP Lovecraft is amazing in every way.

Evka.pl
05-07-2006, 02:03 PM
if u don't like to think (while reading a book) read harry poter.
however i'd recommend:
'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' by ken kesey is great

anything written by Fiodor Dostoiewskij (but that WILL make u think;))

Quo Vadis (by Henryk Sienkiewicz) interesting and LOOONG but it was very popular (back in the 19th century hehe)

Vera
05-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Harry Potter!

Just kidding, but it is VERY easy and fun to read if you think you'd like that sort of thing at all.

Shit, I've not read books in ages. I'm so out of touch nowadays, man. Oh well.

Evka.pl
05-07-2006, 02:13 PM
wow this is a cool theread (talking about books in here? what a nice surprise!)

i'd also recommend Fear and loathing in las vegas (h.s thompson) brilliant!!!

T-6005
05-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Old Bradbury books. The writing isn't that complex, but it's absolutely riveting in every way. The Martian Chronicles, Fahrenheit 451, The Illustrated Man, Something Wicked this Way Comes....

Or, if you're into plays, try a few Beckett. He has some exceedingly shit plays, but some of them I quite like, and they're quite short. See Quad, Ohio Impromptu, and probably a few others I haven't read.

wheelchairman
05-07-2006, 02:42 PM
wow this is a cool theread (talking about books in here? what a nice surprise!)

i'd also recommend Fear and loathing in las vegas (h.s thompson) brilliant!!!
seconded..

el_monkey
05-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Old Bradbury books. The writing isn't that complex, but it's absolutely riveting in every way. The Martian Chronicles, Fahrenheit 451, The Illustrated Man, Something Wicked this Way Comes....

...visitor from the dark ( in cooperation with R.Bloch )
bradbury is awesome
combine it with jean ray - malpertuis , bradbury - medicine for melancholy and
H.P.Lovecraft - the case charles dexter ward
that makes you think

or bram stoker - dracula and Mary w. shelley - frankenstein

finally, one of my very favorite ones: H.G. Wells - The Island of Doctor moreau
-> it's just... fantastic

EDIT: to go with fear and loathing...Trainspotting!

Lizardus
05-07-2006, 02:56 PM
EDIT: Also, if you like being creeped out, HP Lovecraft is amazing in every way.
I second that motion!

Also, some Edgar Alan Poe, Stephen King-The Eyes of the Dragon.
If you like legends and fantasy:The fall of the Nibelungs, The Aeneid, The Elder Eddas, Chronicles of Aescendune by A.D.Crake (haven't had the chance to read it but i heard is good).
Some Dune might do you good.

Paint_It_Black
05-07-2006, 03:21 PM
A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin. Great book, and in fact the first of a great series of books. It can take a little effort at first but it's well worth it.

Rinoa
05-07-2006, 04:14 PM
I'd recommend some Dan Brown books (The DaVinci Code, Angels and Demons, Digital Fortress, etc). I find they're very easy reading. Only trouble is I guess they do make you think about things afterwards - conspiracie theories and what not.

killer_queen
05-08-2006, 05:44 AM
I've already read all the Harry Potters, I love them!

Dan Brown's books are simply boring. I won't even try to read one more book by him.

And I'm still waiting for your recommendations.

Paint_It_Black
05-08-2006, 05:48 AM
The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. Night Watch was particularly excellent.

Evka.pl
05-08-2006, 05:51 AM
maybe if u write what u're intrested in, we could recommend sth u'd like? do u like historical books/sciencefiction/fantasy/psychological novels ?

i loved Memoirs of a Geisha by artur golden (the book is faaar better than the movie)

kamikaze
05-08-2006, 06:53 AM
"A Certain Slant of Light" by Laura Whitcomb.
A boy and girl fall in love. Only, this girl is a ghost. It's an amazing story. I finished it in two days - I couldn't put it down.

"The Mermaid Chair" by Sue Monk Kidd.
A woman falls in love with a monk while her mother goes crazy. A good story. I'm not sure how I feel now that I've finished it, but the story is good. It made me cry, almost as much as "A Certain Slant of Light."

Sin Studly
05-08-2006, 07:32 AM
One Flew Over the Cuckoos nest is indeed great.

But for brainless entertaining non-thinkers, I reccomend the Patrick Kenzie series by Dennis Lehane, the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child, and anything by Nelson DeMille.

JohnnyNemesis
05-08-2006, 07:57 AM
Get your hands on "The Color of Water" by James McBride.

Evka.pl
05-08-2006, 10:51 AM
i really liked Dostojewski'scrime and punishment

right now i'm reading Kingdom of Fear by Hunter S Thompson (i think anything written by that guy is good)

Rinoa
05-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe books are really good.

Sin Studly
05-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Notice how 90% of the people here totally ignored Gulash asking for mindless entertaining books that don't make you think, and instead whored their intellectualism at her?

calichix
05-08-2006, 10:58 PM
"one flew over the cuckoo's nest" is fuckin gnargnar.

Rag Doll
05-08-2006, 11:03 PM
not like...totally mindless, but not overly intellectual either...and very entertaining.

jesus' son - denis johnson. and the amazon page on it http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060975776/sr=8-1/qid=1147150910/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-6405802-2926224?%5Fencoding=UTF8

i fucking love it. it's also a damn good movie.

calichix
05-08-2006, 11:03 PM
post office, the great gatsby, and harlequin romance novels aren't easy to put down either.

Nicole
05-08-2006, 11:09 PM
I love reading mindless books while studying, hence why I read a lot more fantasy than anything else these days. Sara Douglas is brilliant.

Discworld stuff is also good.

Sin Studly
05-09-2006, 03:29 AM
And Stephen Donaldson doesn't even get a mention?

(you know as well as I do that females are incapable of producing art)

killer_queen
05-09-2006, 07:39 AM
post office, the great gatsby, and harlequin romance novels aren't easy to put down either.
I've just finished The Great Gatsby. It is pretty good, indeed.

And thanks everyone else.