PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP, I'm terribly confused!

Bloodstains
05-07-2006, 07:11 PM
If today we call tomarrow "tomarrow", then why when we reach tomarrow do we then call it today? And tomarrow, we'll be calling today yesterday! And yesterday, today was tomarrow! The only thing that proves to me is that TIME IS A FUCKING ILLUSION!!!!!!! So what's the use it having clocks and watches? :confused:

Does anybody understand this? I'm seriously starting to get confused over it and I'm the one who typed it!

I need help, I'm confused... can someone please tell me what the crap I was talking about? I am NOT joking. I would seriously like to know if there's any intelegence in that or if it's just a load of jibberish.

Sinister
05-07-2006, 07:12 PM
it's a load of intelligent gibberish.

All About Eve
The answer is, of course, forty-two.

bd007h
because, the car

coke_a_holic
05-07-2006, 07:13 PM
*Tomorrow :)

Bloodstains
The answer is, of course, forty-two.
I can agree with that! (Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy rocked, the books and the movies).

Mr. Noodles
Tomorrow means the next day.
Today means the current day.
Yesterday means the day before the current day.
Does that help at all?

Endymion
figure out left and right first, pal.

All About Eve
05-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Are you fucking serious? The movies rivaled The Bourne Identity movies as the worst remakes of any book ever. Load of garbage.

Bloodstains
05-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Tomorrow means the next day.
Today means the current day.
Yesterday means the day before the current day.
Does that help at all?
Yeah, but when we reach tomarrow we'll be calling it today, and today will be tomarrow's yesterday. So what happens to today's yesterday, does it just disappear? There's no future, cause when we reach the future we refer to it as the present! WTF? I'm confused again!

Bloodstains
05-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Are you fucking serious? The movies rivaled The Bourne Identity movies as the worst remakes of any book ever. Load of garbage.
I don't care. I didn't even WATCH the Bourne Identity. So why SHOULD I care? Just wondering.

Mr. Noodles
05-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Yeah, but when we reach tomarrow we'll be calling it today, and today will be tomarrow's yesterday. So what happens to today's yesterday, does it just disappear? There's no future, cause when we reach the future we refer to it as the present! WTF? I'm confused again!
It doesn't disappear, sort of. Do you know what the International Date Line is? If I'm thinking about the correct "line", it's the line that divides the next day from the previous.

Bloodstains
05-07-2006, 07:17 PM
It doesn't disappear, sort of. Do you know what the International Date Line is? If I'm thinking about the correct "line", it's the line that divides the next day from the previous.
But, seriously, I wanna know what the crap I'm talking about....

That's it, TIME IS AN ILLUSION! THAT explains everything.

0r4ng3
05-07-2006, 07:19 PM
*Tomorrow :)
Yeah, what he said. Also, you might wanna change it in your sig, too.

As for the question, I'll tell you...tomorrow.

Little_Miss_1565
05-07-2006, 07:19 PM

Um, yeah. Time and history and everything is a construct created by man to make sense of his surroundings. It doesn't actually exist.

The point of having watches and calendars etc. is to have a common point of reference to make interactions with other human beings less difficult.

bd007h
05-07-2006, 07:20 PM

but at that time it'll be.... today!!! ZOMG!!11

0r4ng3
"When will then be now?"

"...soon."

Bloodstains
Yeah, what he said. Also, you might wanna change it in your sig, too.

I still don't know... time's an illusion. I'm sticking to that.

And thanks, I'll change my sig. I suck at spelling...

Endymion
05-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Um, yeah. Time and history and everything is a construct created by man to make sense of his surroundings. It doesn't actually exist.
i'm gunna have to disagree somewhat...

Bloodstains
05-07-2006, 07:22 PM
but at that time it'll be.... today!!! ZOMG!!11
Really though! That's what I'm having trouble getting! And what happens to today's yesterday when tomarrow rolls around?

GRRR! I DON'T KNOW! Time is an illusion!

coke_a_holic
05-07-2006, 07:24 PM
It becomes 2 days ago.

Bloodstains
05-07-2006, 07:24 PM
The point of having watches and calendars etc. is to have a common point of reference to make interactions with other human beings less difficult.
I can't wear watches anymore.... People ask me what time it is and I have to explain to them that it doesn't matter cuz time's an illusion. Then I have to tell them the time anyway, which really sucks.

Little_Miss_1565
05-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Bloodstains, did you read any of what I wrote?...

i'm gunna have to disagree somewhat...

Sure, the sun rises and sets every day and has for all of recorded history and well before. But the systems by which we keep track of those days and the smaller increments of time that make up those days are all human constructs. Think of how many calendars and such there have been over the course of human history. Ours, the Gregorian calendar, is one of the most inaccurate.

Bloodstains
05-07-2006, 07:25 PM
It becomes 2 days ago.
Yeah, but today two days ago was YESTERDAY's yesterday, and tomarrow, 2 days ago'll just be today's yesterday... I'm still confused.

Little_Miss_1565
05-07-2006, 07:26 PM
I can't wear watches anymore.... People ask me what time it is and I have to explain to them that it doesn't matter cuz time's an illusion. Then I have to tell them the time anyway, which really sucks.

Okay, now it sounds more like you're more intent on just declaring time an illusion than actually understanding the anthropology.

Mr. Noodles
But even though it doesn't exist, it's used to keep us on track and to avoid us from being confused, even though it causes confusion as well, like what you were confused about.

All About Eve
But things that have already occurred are history, wether they happened five seconds, years, millenia, or some other name in some other way of telling time ago.

Edit: @ Sarah

Bloodstains
05-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Bloodstains, did you read any of what I wrote?...

Yeah, about how it makes it easier to interact with humans. Watches make it harder for me to interact with humans bacause they don't understand my viewpoint on time. Stupid simple-minded people in my class...

0r4ng3
05-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Time, dude. It's far out. It's like, dude, a conspiracy. Set up by, like, the man.

YOU CAN'T CONTROL US, DUDES!

Little_Miss_1565
05-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Yeah, about how it makes it easier to interact with humans. Watches make it harder for me to interact with humans bacause they don't understand my viewpoint on time. Stupid simple-minded people in my class...

Not everyone can deal with the idea that things that they've come accustomed to hanging their hat on don't actually exist. Imagine my difficulty explaining to people that the gender binary doesn't exist. The fact is that we live in a society that measures time in seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years, decades, etc. and you will have to follow that system in order to function within this society. While the gender binary can be a harmful system, time doesn't hurt anyone.

Bloodstains
05-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Time, dude. It's far out. It's like, dude, a conspiracy. Set up by, like, the man.

YOU CAN'T CONTROL US, DUDES!
lol. i don't know, seriously. It's all just a huge illusion. I think the first government invented time as some crazy way to people 0.o

Isolated Fury
05-07-2006, 07:32 PM
You should go back to General Offspring Discussion, because General Chat is just an illusion.

Bloodstains
Not everyone can deal with the idea that things that they've come accustomed to hanging their hat on don't actually exist. Imagine my difficulty explaining to people that the gender binary doesn't exist. The fact is that we live in a society that measures time in seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years, decades, etc. and you will have to follow that system in order to function within this society. While the gender binary can be a harmful system, time doesn't hurt anyone.
True, true... but time seems to be hurting my head at the moment, so time apparently can hurt people, but only mentally.

0r4ng3
Here's another tip. When people ask you "Do you have the time?", just say "Yes", and walk away.

Bloodstains
05-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Here's another tip. When people ask you "Do you have the time?", just say "Yes", and walk away.
Can't walk away if it happens in the middle of Algebra class, cause that's where it usually happens (cuz it's so boring and everyone just wants it to be over :D ). If I got up and walked away in the middle of the class, then the teacher would deem me insane (if she hasn't already).

0r4ng3
05-07-2006, 07:36 PM
I didn't literally mean "walk away". Just, say "yes" and nothing else.

You could also yell "IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!"

Endymion
05-07-2006, 07:37 PM
i'd like to note that there is a difference between time and the measurement of time. the measurement of time is arbitrary, but the existance of time is necessary and essential to our understanding of the universe.

bloodstains is being retarded.

hey, guess what? the location of the measurement "two feet to my left" changes depending on where i am! does that make space an illusion?

Little_Miss_1565
05-07-2006, 07:37 PM
True, true... but time seems to be hurting my head at the moment, so time apparently can hurt people, but only mentally.

Only if they're a tard. ;)

Bloodstains
05-07-2006, 07:38 PM
I didn't literally mean "walk away". Just, say "yes" and nothing else.

You could also yell "IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!"
That always works. Especially if they haven't seen Family Guy, cause then they'd think I'm a weirdo and leave me alone for once! :D

Little_Miss_1565
05-07-2006, 07:39 PM
i'd like to note that there is a difference between time and the measurement of time. the measurement of time is arbitrary, but the existance of time is necessary and essential to our understanding of the universe.

Jinx, lol.

Duly noted. But one can only say that time passes because it is measured in a certain way. What I think Bloodstains is freaking out about though is the measurement of time.

0r4ng3
05-07-2006, 07:39 PM
That always works. Especially if they haven't seen Family Guy, cause then they'd think I'm a weirdo and leave me alone for once! :D
It's not only from Family Guy...

Bloodstains
05-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Jinx, lol.

Duly noted. But one can only say that time passes because it is measured in a certain way. What I think Bloodstains is freaking out about though is the measurement of time.
I am freaking out. I appologize for getting confused, but it's quite easy for ditzy people like me. And I don't appreciate being called a RETARD, btw.

Endymion
05-07-2006, 07:42 PM
you mean that the moment in time "twenty four hours from now (or tomorrow, whatever you want)" does not refer to a fixed moment in time, but one that is only relative to the current moment?

Bloodstains
05-07-2006, 07:43 PM
you mean that the moment in time "twenty four hours from now (or tomorrow, whatever you want)" does not refer to a fixed moment in time, but one that is only relative to the current moment?
I dunno. I seriously don't. I'm a RETARD, remember? see the previous page to understand what I'm talking about.

Bloodstains
05-07-2006, 07:46 PM
I do appologize for posting up this thread. I shouldn't have even tried. I'm getting offline before anyone else calls me a retard. I get enough of that at school, and they should know I'm not, seeing as I make better grades than any of them.

I can't guarentee I'll be back anytime soon, either. So, be happy!

Endymion
05-07-2006, 07:50 PM
I dunno. I seriously don't. I'm a RETARD, remember? see the previous page to understand what I'm talking about.
ok. look, it's no different than calling "monkeyhouse" the point in space that's three feet in front of you. if you're at school, monkeyhouse might be another desk. if you're at home, monkeyhouse might be the frige. same thing, but while you have control over where in space you are, you don't have control over when in time you are.

0r4ng3
05-07-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm getting offline before anyone else calls me a retard.
Retard!

You lose.

Bloodstains
05-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Retard!

You lose.
I wasn't kidding.

All About Eve
05-07-2006, 08:34 PM
ok. look, it's no different than calling "monkeyhouse" the point in space that's three feet in front of you. if you're at school, monkeyhouse might be another desk. if you're at home, monkeyhouse might be the frige. same thing, but while you have control over where in space you are, you don't have control over when in time you are.
Do you really think he'll understand this?

To put it differently, say you're 10 feet from the door. As you get closer, the distance decreases, 9,8,7 feet etc. When you are at the door, it is 0. When you go through the door, and keep going, the amount increases again; 1,2,3 feet away. All that time the door is still in the same place, just your relative distance is changing.

Little_Miss_1565
05-07-2006, 08:39 PM
I am freaking out. I appologize for getting confused, but it's quite easy for ditzy people like me. And I don't appreciate being called a RETARD, btw.

I apologize that you felt like I was calling you a retard. It was not my intention to hurt your feelings. I think there's a semantic difference between "tard," "being retarded," and "retard."

Little_Miss_1565
05-07-2006, 08:41 PM
ok. look, it's no different than calling "monkeyhouse" the point in space that's three feet in front of you.

Oh hey, btw, welcome to the monkeyhouse.

DeAtHsTaR
05-07-2006, 08:47 PM
If today we call tomarrow "tomarrow", then why when we reach tomarrow do we then call it today? And tomarrow, we'll be calling today yesterday! And yesterday, today was tomarrow! The only thing that proves to me is that TIME IS A FUCKING ILLUSION!!!!!!! So what's the use it having clocks and watches? :confused:

Does anybody understand this? I'm seriously starting to get confused over it and I'm the one who typed it!

I need help, I'm confused... can someone please tell me what the crap I was talking about? I am NOT joking. I would seriously like to know if there's any intelegence in that or if it's just a load of jibberish.Smoking the reefer?

kamikaze
05-07-2006, 09:54 PM
You think that bothers you? Try out this one: (Doesn't matter if you believe it or not, kthx.)

If God's been here since forever, has had no beginning and will have no end, how long do you think he's been up there? Try thinking back to when he would have started, even though the Bible says he didn't. He's just always been there. And imagine how long he'll still be there. What do you think he does all the time?

T-6005
05-07-2006, 10:15 PM
The starter of this thread makes me sad with their stupid ramblings.

wheelchairman
05-07-2006, 10:24 PM
These kinds of debates are something I never think about. (Well I could've answered this guy's question.) But these "deep" questions in general, never peruse my mind. Not since I was like 12 at least.

Perhaps I am not deep. I don't know. But whenever people approach me with such a line of thought, they just seem incredibly....average to me.

Unless of course this is the area they are experts in. I respect Endymion obviously.

the_GoDdEsS
05-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Who let the crazies out?

Endymion
05-07-2006, 10:36 PM
ps: it might be nice to refer to bloodstains by the properly-gendered pronouns "her" and "she".

the nature of time is a very interesting question... not so much 'does it exist?' -- it's generally accepted that it does, but *why* has never been answered. ask any scientist why time exists and you'll get wildly different answers. stuff from "so that everything doesn't happen at once" to "it's arbitrarly defined as what increases in the direction of increasing entropy". more discrete theories handle the nature of time somewhat more elegantly.

wheelchairman
05-07-2006, 10:45 PM
I think I'll just turn to religion. What does raptor jesus say?

also, if you want to go to philosophy. Nietzche had the most homo theory of time ever. The Great Cycle, lol.

Endymion
05-07-2006, 10:59 PM
also, if you want to go to philosophy. Nietzche had the most homo theory of time ever. The Great Cycle, lol.
i've been meaning to read some nietzche... i really should read more philosophy.

Lizardus
05-07-2006, 11:52 PM
I think I'll just turn to religion. What does raptor jesus say?
Raptor Jesus ate Father Time!
D:

Chachi1856
05-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Smoking the reefer?

thats what im thinkin. if not, "cocaines a hell of a drug"

Little_Miss_1565
05-08-2006, 07:21 AM

What? Nietzche had a period?

sKratch
05-08-2006, 07:30 AM

hey, guess what? the location of the measurement "two feet to my left" changes depending on where i am! does that make space an illusion?
I got your back, homie!

JoY
05-08-2006, 08:02 AM
it's "tomorrow". to-mor-row. tomorrow.

you have to name the days a certain something, or else you get lost in time. & there IS such a thing as time. you have to call a table fucking something, so why not "table"? you can spend the rest of your life wondering why it was ever called table & what the origin of the origin of the word "table" was, but you can't solve that problem by saying tables don't exist.

anyway, time exists. tables exist. we use words for & give names to everything to orientate on this planet. if we couldn't orientate, we'd get entirely lost. as in lost. we'd lyke, die. or something.

platinumpt
05-08-2006, 08:31 AM

I need help, I'm confused... can someone please tell me what the crap I was talking about? I am NOT joking. I would seriously like to know if there's any intelegence in that or if it's just a load of jibberish.
As long as you sleep during the night, you'll be less confused. You see, the so-called "sleep" works as a frontier between yesterday, today, and tomorrow. If you don't sleep, you screw up all these concepts, and all will be much more difficult. So, yeah, you should get some sleep, and all will be more clear.

Vera
05-08-2006, 02:19 PM
To the original poster, LOLZ ur siggy sez:

"Live like there's no tomarrow."~"Nitro(Youth Energy)", The Offspring

how can u live lyk theres no tomarrow when there is NO TODAY n time is an illusen!!! the offspring can't be wrong ok??? this is so confusing omg. i need something 2 believe in. OMG!! "SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN"! Offy song!!! But time!!! illusen!

Edit: sry guys i wuz mota boy, nm!1 :D

the_GoDdEsS
05-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Yeah idiot, at least change the spelling in your signature. Christ, you people.

Demon_of_Debauchery
05-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Time does exist but the measurement of time is a man made thing. People made up the measurement of time because if you had to do something like catch a train if there wasn't any measurement of time you wouldn't know when to go to the train station.

coke_a_holic
05-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Time does exist but the measurement of time is a man made thing. People made up the measurement of time because if you had to do something like catch a train if there wasn't any measurement of time you wouldn't know when to go to the train station.
I'm pretty sure people invented the measurement of time before they invented the train/steam-engine.

Demon_of_Debauchery
05-08-2006, 02:49 PM
I'm pretty sure people invented the measurement of time before they invented the train/steam-engine.
I was just using that as an example you could go out to meet someone but without the measurement of time you wouldn't know when to go.

coke_a_holic
05-08-2006, 02:53 PM
I was just using that as an example you could go out to meet someone but without the measurement of time you wouldn't know when to go.
No you said that was why they invented time. You said, "People made up the measurement of time because if you had to do something like catch a train if there wasn't any measurement of time you wouldn't know when to go to the train station." I know it was just an example, I just felt completely awesome by pointing out the obvious mistake you made. A better example would have been so they would know when to plant crops/harvest said crops.

JoY
05-09-2006, 04:40 AM
To the original poster, LOLZ ur siggy sez:

"lalala"

how can u live lyk theres no tomarrow when there is NO TODAY n time is an illusen!!! the offspring can't be wrong ok??? this is so confusing omg. i need something 2 believe in. OMG!! "SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN"! Offy song!!! But time!!! illusen!

Edit: sry guys i wuz mota boy, nm!1 :D
have I recently let you know how much I love you?

Bella <3 Sanni 4evah scratched on the toiletdoor of my favorite bar.

Vera
05-09-2006, 04:46 AM
Hahaha, I was so tired when I typed that. My parody edge has been missing the mark recently a lot.

The Search Button
05-10-2006, 06:31 AM
Time is not an illusion...you know why?.....because you will die some day.

forget the yesterday,today and tomorrow thing.
time is a susseccion of days and nights.A night coming always after the day,and a day coming always after the night forever and ever.I guess this has something to do with the sun,or we go around the sun or the sun goes around our planet.Or someting.I heard that some pretty inteligent dudes were burned in a fire for digging to deep into this topic.
yesterday,today and tomorrow are just words that the government came up with to keep us entertained in our lifes.

I also believe that there is an alien conspiracy taking place right now in America, that consists in getting us all fatten up till we explode and conquer our planet.Code name-Macdonald's.