PDA

View Full Version : I was thinking about Nicole Kidman

Little_Miss_1565
05-08-2006, 06:33 AM
With all this talk of Tom Cruise fathering a baby, which he was never able to do with Nicole Kidman because he was "sterile"--they adopted two kids--I thought about Ms. Kidman, and wondered if she was feeling sad, or attacked, or anything bad.

But then I remembered Tom Cruise on Oprah, and all this Scientology bullshit. Now I imagine her sipping her coffee every morning, and saying to her billionaire boyfriend "THANK FUCKING GOD I JUMPED OFF THAT SINKING SHIP!" Then they exchange high-fives.

Andy
05-08-2006, 06:39 AM
Seeing as Tom Cruise is as mad as an apricot, I'd say the latter.

Little_Miss_1565
05-08-2006, 06:41 AM
Totally. Especially the high-fives part.

Andy
05-08-2006, 06:46 AM
Especially. Although maybe high fives are dangerous for Nicole? She'll probably break, the poor skinny lass.

T-6005
Yes - Nicole Kidman is totally classy enough to pull off the "Thank God I'm not with Tom Cruise" high-five.

JoY
I can see this. the last situation that is. you created a fantastic image here. both of them watching Oprah with a light drink, possibly some popcorn, her legs on his lap... I bet Tom Cruise is solely entertaining when in a box called tv.

Little_Miss_1565
05-08-2006, 06:47 AM
Dude, she's like 8 feet tall. Plus, she's Australian, which means she's got criminal ancestry. Chick is probably tough as nails.

JohnnyNemesis
05-08-2006, 06:47 AM
I was thinking about Nicole Kidman

That's the part that made me ever so disappointed in you :(

Little_Miss_1565
05-08-2006, 06:48 AM
I bet Tom Cruise is solely entertaining when in a box called tv.

He's TERRIFYING on TV!

Little_Miss_1565
05-08-2006, 06:49 AM
That's the part that made me ever so disappointed in you :(

Dude, don't you know I spend tons of time reading celebrity gossip blogs like The Superficial and Go Fug Yourself?

JohnnyNemesis
I do know, but I always try and forget your lesser qualities. (double :()

Andy
Dude, she's like 8 feet tall. Plus, she's Australian, which means she's got criminal ancestry. Chick is probably tough as nails.
I didn't consider that, I certainly wouldn't mess.

JoY
He's TERRIFYING on TV!
I thought he was entertaining, jumping around on that couch. & I enjoyed 'Cocktail'.

Sunny
05-08-2006, 06:50 AM
tom cruise is beyond creepy. i'd think she thanks her lucky stars every single night.

and yay for go fug yourself and the superficial! harhar.

the_GoDdEsS
05-08-2006, 06:51 AM
Tom Cruise shits me for some reason.

Little_Miss_1565
05-08-2006, 06:59 AM
Tom Cruise shits babies BECAUSE HE EATS THEM

Paint_It_Black
05-08-2006, 07:01 AM
He's TERRIFYING on TV!

Tom Cruise killed Oprah. (http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/view?&h=105&w=140&type=msmedia&rurl=www.planetvids.com%2Fhtml%2FTom-Cruise-Kills-Oprah.html&vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.planetvids.com%2Fpvids%2FT om_Cruise_Kills_Oprah.wmv&back=p%3Dtom%2Bcruise%2Bkills%2Boprah%26sm%3DYahoo %2521%2BSearch%26fr%3DFP-tab-vid-t%26toggle%3D1%26cop%3D%26ei%3DUTF-8&turl=scd.mm-da.yimg.com%2Fimage%2F1647816469&name=%3Cb%3ETom%3C%2Fb%3E_%3Cb%3ECruise%3C%2Fb%3E_ %3Cb%3EKills%3C%2Fb%3E_%3Cb%3EOprah%3C%2Fb%3E.wmv&no=1&tt=15&p=tom+cruise+kills+oprah&oid=b1c7c1c83fd40340&size=407.0kB&dur=16&src=p)

killer_queen
05-08-2006, 07:03 AM
I used to like Tom Cruise. But then I realized I liked him because everyone else I know likes him. So I stopped liking him.

Sin Studly
05-08-2006, 07:06 AM
everyone else I know likes him

Who the fuck do you know?

JoY
05-08-2006, 07:06 AM
Tom Cruise killed Oprah. (http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/view?&h=105&w=140&type=msmedia&rurl=www.planetvids.com%2Fhtml%2FTom-Cruise-Kills-Oprah.html&vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.planetvids.com%2Fpvids%2FT om_Cruise_Kills_Oprah.wmv&back=p%3Dtom%2Bcruise%2Bkills%2Boprah%26sm%3DYahoo %2521%2BSearch%26fr%3DFP-tab-vid-t%26toggle%3D1%26cop%3D%26ei%3DUTF-8&turl=scd.mm-da.yimg.com%2Fimage%2F1647816469&name=%3Cb%3ETom%3C%2Fb%3E_%3Cb%3ECruise%3C%2Fb%3E_ %3Cb%3EKills%3C%2Fb%3E_%3Cb%3EOprah%3C%2Fb%3E.wmv&no=1&tt=15&p=tom+cruise+kills+oprah&oid=b1c7c1c83fd40340&size=407.0kB&dur=16&src=p)
k, now I'm officially scared.

Andy
05-08-2006, 07:07 AM
The problem with Cruise is, despite being a complete nutjob, I can see him being a really nice guy. Although I can see him becoming irritating. I wouldn't go drinking with him.

Little_Miss_1565
05-08-2006, 07:17 AM
He's nice because he is trying to BRAINWASH EVERYONE AROUND HIM.

Endymion
05-08-2006, 08:09 AM
how dare any of you criticize that great man!

ps: as i was watching three dvds straight of dinosaurs yesterday, i laughed quite heartily when one of them had a scientology jab.

Little_Miss_1565
05-08-2006, 09:13 AM
How did Dinosaurs make a Scientology jab?

Vera
05-08-2006, 01:12 PM
I've hated Tom Cruise since .. I don't know, a very long time. Long before this crazyass Scientology shit. And people used to be all "Aw, why don't you like Tom Cruise?" and I would be "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?".

Nowadays someone says, "I like Tom Cruise" and everyone around them will go "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?".

I love that.

Mota Boy
05-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Strange. Just yesterday a friend remarked to me how they thought it was weird how, whenever you see pictures of their children, you only ever see Tom with 'em.

Now I imagine her sipping her coffee every morning, and saying to her billionaire boyfriend "THANK FUCKING GOD I JUMPED OFF THAT SINKING SHIP!" Then they exchange high-fives.
Billionaire boyfriend? All that superficial-reading and you don't know that she's dating country superstar Keith Urban? (Every so often a friend of mine will spot 'em around town)

And found while googling to make sure I got the right country superstar - Hot off the wire, Nicole still loves Tom. (http://www.canada.com/topics/entertainment/story.html?id=e24e5304-b650-4aae-a680-c57cb3ea7922&k=65577)

Mota Boy
05-08-2006, 01:18 PM
I've hated Tom Cruise since .. I don't know, a very long time. Long before this crazyass Scientology shit. And people used to be all "Aw, why don't you like Tom Cruise?" and I would be "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?".

Nowadays someone says, "I like Tom Cruise" and everyone around them will go "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?".

I love that.
Personally, I just find it really, really fucking weird that people have strong opinions about Tom Cruise.

Vera
05-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Eh, to be honest by 'hate' I used to mean "I can't watch his movies because I stand the way he acts or looks on-screen".

JohnnyNemesis
05-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Don't relent! You're a media junkie. You know you have strong opinions about him!

*interrogates*

Little_Miss_1565
05-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Billionaire boyfriend? All that superficial-reading and you don't know that she's dating country superstar Keith Urban? (Every so often a friend of mine will spot 'em around town)

What happened to the billionaire? They were engaged or something. Anyway.

How can you not have a strong opinion about Tom Cruise when he's jumping on Oprah's couch and faking pregnancies?

Betty
05-08-2006, 03:00 PM
The thing is, as Sanni touched on, a lot of people have opinions on Tom Cruise as an actor, unrelated to him being somewhat insane in real life.

And personally, I'm totally neutral towards him in that regard. I would never say he is one of my favourite actors, but by no means do I think he is terrible. I enjoy most of his movies. Plus he's hot. And the people who claim he is absolutely not attractive in the least, I have a hard time believing. Subjective opinions, my ass, he's a good looking man. I watched a movie last night with 80's style Tom Cruise in it and it was awesome.

Mota Boy
05-08-2006, 03:52 PM
How can you not have a strong opinion about Tom Cruise when he's jumping on Oprah's couch and faking pregnancies?
Well, it would be kinda hypocritical for me to call him out on that, given all the couches I've jumped on and all the pregnancies I've faked. Plus, I'm spending all my time caring about that one white chick that disappeared while on vacation and that preacher's wife that killed her husband.

Seriously though, it's just that Tom Cruise himself isn't important. If he was caught screwing Phillip Seymore Hoffman before brutally murdering a room full of toddlers, I'd think "That was strange." But I wouldn't follow every aspect of the trial, because ultimately, Tom Cruise really doesn't matter all that much. Hell, I think celebrity gossip is just the convergence of reality TV and the soap opera - once again we can all live vicariously through the glamorous and torrid lives of others, only this time they're actually real people, so we don't think of ourselves as being that silly for caring so much, and we think we know them better.

In one way, it's like sports - it's entertainment that allows us to take a break from our lives for a moment and live through other people. But while in sports armchair coaches criticize a person's job, celebrity gossip armchair publicists end up criticizing someone's life. Shit, if every aspect of my life was reported by people constantly looking for dirt on me, I know I'd come off looking horrible. And if the media was going with the established angle that I was crazy, looking for any thing I do that might be a sign of my impending insanity, then I'd be fucked.

I'm kinda fascinated about the whole celebrity gossip phenomenon mainly because it seems like it's only been over the past four years or so that it's moved from check-out counter rags for bored housewives into mainstream news. It annoys me, though, to hear people go on and on about why they don't like someone they've never met, or how stranger X needs to spend more time with his or her kids. I can see how following it can be fun, but when you start getting passionate about the personal lives of celebrities, I just tune out.

Endymion
05-08-2006, 04:02 PM
How did Dinosaurs make a Scientology jab?
oh, it was something about two dino-authors, and one says something about his books not selling well, how does the other one do it? and the other says something along the lines of "easy, prey on the weak-minded!" and then it shows the cover of "Dino-netics" or something like that by L. Rex Hubbard

Rag Doll
05-08-2006, 06:19 PM
And personally, I'm totally neutral towards him in that regard. I would never say he is one of my favourite actors, but by no means do I think he is terrible. I enjoy most of his movies. Plus he's hot. And the people who claim he is absolutely not attractive in the least, I have a hard time believing. Subjective opinions, my ass, he's a good looking man. I watched a movie last night with 80's style Tom Cruise in it and it was awesome.

I was beginning to think I was the only one. I saw MI:3 last night...mm mm.

Little_Miss_1565
05-08-2006, 08:10 PM
Bah, Mota, with all that academic mumbo-jumbo. The only reason I've been following the Tom Cruise thing is because of his appearance on Oprah. I was like you and didn't give two shits about him before then. But after witnessing that instance of batshit crazy, I am fascinated watching this train crash. I don't think I know him, I just know that the public persona he's paying his publicists for makes me lock my door at night.

Vera
05-09-2006, 12:02 AM
I know some people who get WAY too into to following some celebrity's life and hating certain celebs for the stuff they've done. I think it's kind of odd how these gossip stories affect our existing views of stars (based on their performances) but it's very difficult not to let it affect those. Especially when you're bombarded by the media with them.

(In comparison, I don't hear Bollywood gossip unless I seek it out - and since I've begun to read more Indian news sources, I've begun to run into gossip more often but it's still easier for me not to be affected by gossip about my favourite Indian stars & just keep enjoying their on-screen performances.)

I think what may seem like strong opinions most often aren't. You have to remember that in English, I've noticed, people use "hate" and "love" way too easy. Meaning they really mean "dislike" and "like" but use hate and love anyway. "I LOVE Thai food!" and "I hate Physics!" (sry endy!).

So my "hate" for Tom is annoyance and dislike towards his performances and this Scientology shit. I don't even follow news about them, I read something if I run into it, though. And as 1565 pointed out, it's not their real persona, it's their public persona..

Izie
05-09-2006, 03:49 AM
The reason why I've never liked Tom Cruise is that he smiles like a damn COW. You know, he has that blank stare of stupid people and he smiles exactly the same way every time I see him smile? Yeah, that.

Whether he's hot or not, I can't tell. I know he's short and annyos the living piss out of me.

And I haven't followed celebrity gossip in a long time :/ What? It's entertainign at times, I don't know why. Prolly when my brain is too dead to read anything meaningful.

Grumble now, no long eeply or I'll burn my lunch.

JoY
05-09-2006, 04:07 AM
Eh, to be honest by 'hate' I used to mean "I can't watch his movies because I stand the way he acts or looks on-screen".
it's mostly the way he looks. Cocktail was alright, but I had to ignore just.. the way he is. he can't really help it, he's just apeshitfuckingnuts. he smiles like his fifth personality & acts angry like his second. it just looks fucking weird. it's him in total. fucking weird.

& my best friend would say he was hot & she'd do him, stuff like that, (at the age of, what, twelve? I find that odd anyway) & I rambled on about old James Bond movies with Sean Connery. was I born in the wrong age, or WHAT?! I think Tom even weirds my mother out. then again, she's also a Sean-fan. runs in the family.

JoY
05-09-2006, 04:12 AM
The thing is, as Sanni touched on, a lot of people have opinions on Tom Cruise as an actor, unrelated to him being somewhat insane in real life.

sure, he looks good, yes, he can act alright.. that's all not a problem at all.
but there's just something about him. it's just.. odd. & friends would talk about him in school & I just never really got it.

he's not exactly THE person that makes the movies he plays in enjoyable. it's mostly just the storyline, the setting, the way of filming, etc, that is. I mean, he does add to it with his acting in a certain way, but it's not like he's the total shit that can turn anything/any movie into pure yay.

Betty
05-09-2006, 11:25 AM
he's not exactly THE person that makes the movies he plays in enjoyable. it's mostly just the storyline, the setting, the way of filming, etc, that is. I mean, he does add to it with his acting in a certain way, but it's not like he's the total shit that can turn anything/any movie into pure yay.

I agree exactly. I'm not saying his movies are good because of HIM. They're just for the most part decent movies. But I wouldn't go so far as saying he detracts from them, which some people do. Seriously, is he THAT BAD? Maybe I just don't read into it as much as others, but to me, unless an actor is just that terrible, I don't really care. And then there are a select few that I particularly enjoy. The only one I would really say bothers me is Ben Stiller.

I agree too that it was weird when younger girls would go on about hot older actors. I never really thought about older men as attractive until I was considerably older. I remember people would rave about people like Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson, etc. And I never really cared. But when I grew up I started to understand what they were talking about. They're indeed attractive. But ultimately it's just eye candy. Probably my favourite actor, Kevin Spacey, is not particularly attractive at all.

offspringis the best band
05-09-2006, 11:20 PM
Well, it would be kinda hypocritical for me to call him out on that, given all the couches I've jumped on and all the pregnancies I've faked. Plus, I'm spending all my time caring about that one white chick that disappeared while on vacation and that preacher's wife that killed her husband.

Seriously though, it's just that Tom Cruise himself isn't important. If he was caught screwing Phillip Seymore Hoffman before brutally murdering a room full of toddlers, I'd think "That was strange." But I wouldn't follow every aspect of the trial, because ultimately, Tom Cruise really doesn't matter all that much. Hell, I think celebrity gossip is just the convergence of reality TV and the soap opera - once again we can all live vicariously through the glamorous and torrid lives of others, only this time they're actually real people, so we don't think of ourselves as being that silly for caring so much, and we think we know them better.

In one way, it's like sports - it's entertainment that allows us to take a break from our lives for a moment and live through other people. But while in sports armchair coaches criticize a person's job, celebrity gossip armchair publicists end up criticizing someone's life. Shit, if every aspect of my life was reported by people constantly looking for dirt on me, I know I'd come off looking horrible. And if the media was going with the established angle that I was crazy, looking for any thing I do that might be a sign of my impending insanity, then I'd be fucked.

I'm kinda fascinated about the whole celebrity gossip phenomenon mainly because it seems like it's only been over the past four years or so that it's moved from check-out counter rags for bored housewives into mainstream news. It annoys me, though, to hear people go on and on about why they don't like someone they've never met, or how stranger X needs to spend more time with his or her kids. I can see how following it can be fun, but when you start getting passionate about the personal lives of celebrities, I just tune out.

Wait. So what you're saying is people care about public figures?!?

Shocking.

Mota Boy
05-09-2006, 11:58 PM
Wait. So what you're saying is people care about public figures?!?

Shocking.
Celebrity culture is a relatively new development. The public and the press idolized Marilyn Monroe, Joe DiMaggio and JFK, they didn't dig up the fact that they were, respectively, pill-poppers, wife beaters and philanderers. Over the ensuing decades, however, it's taken on a much more negative tone, and become increasingly personal. People magazine only sprung up in 1974, and I believe the other rags came about in the eighties. With the rise of television shows dedicated to celebrities and, much more recently, the advent of celebrity blogs, it's become much more pervasive than it was even a few years ago. Hell, I've noticed a sea change in the intensity and color of the phenomenon in the four years that I've been in college.

It's like looking at a discusson on the possibility of civil war in Iraq and saying "People are fighting in the Middle East? Shocking." On one hand, we're talking about the obvious here, but to brush it off as the same-old same-old is to evince a certain degree of ignorance.

offspringis the best band
05-10-2006, 12:21 AM
Celebrity culture is a relatively new development. The public and the press idolized Marilyn Monroe, Joe DiMaggio and JFK, they didn't dig up the fact that they were, respectively, pill-poppers, wife beaters and philanderers. Over the ensuing decades, however, it's taken on a much more negative tone, and become increasingly personal. People magazine only sprung up in 1974, and I believe the other rags came about in the eighties. With the rise of television shows dedicated to celebrities and, much more recently, the advent of celebrity blogs, it's become much more pervasive than it was even a few years ago. Hell, I've noticed a sea change in the intensity and color of the phenomenon in the four years that I've been in college.

It's like looking at a discusson on the possibility of civil war in Iraq and saying "People are fighting in the Middle East? Shocking." On one hand, we're talking about the obvious here, but to brush it off as the same-old same-old is to bely a certain degree of ignorance.

The world changes, my man. I was a teenager during the mid nineties and I have worked in the field of communications pretty much ever since, and even then these things-- the paparazzi, public scrutiny, celebrity gossip-- seemed out of control. And I remember when Princess Diana died there was a big outcry and the general feeling was "wait a second, we gotta slow down here". And it did seem like the paparazzi phenomenon was nothing but a sudden rush that was subsiding. But that lasted a whole week. If you had shown me then what was gonna be going on now, it would seem like a dystopian nightmare. But as time passed, it just doesn't seem that way. It seems that fascination for celebrities is a necessary evil, almost, and that it's tolerated. Of course, I'm speaking as myself and not the celebrities-- I'm sure they don't enjoy it one bit. But even then you get people like Jodie Marsh and Paris Hilton who are celebrities BECAUSE of the media. You don't see them ducking paparazzi.

But anyway, I digress. My point was... Like you said, things get more intense, but it's a process of the world diminishing as opposed to expanding. The information about the private lives of celebrities in the years of yore just wasn't made available to the public back then the way it is now. It's a whole different world. Someone like Perez Hilton (www.perezhilton.com -- celebrity blogger extraordinaire, also bona fide asshole, I met him a couple months ago) wouldn't exist back then because he's a product of our times. My original post came from a frustration, 'cause doing what I do, I come across points like the one you made all the time. And at the end of the day it seems so pointless to even wax intellectual on.

Whatever. The way things are going, it's only gonna get more intense. Remember media in all forms is shaped by its time. I stopped working myself up over that kind of thing a long time ago. I'll read the occasional wacky Tom Cruise story about placenta eating or scientology or whatever. It won't make me a better person and will teach me nothing about the world. But it's good for a day's quick chuckle.

Vera
05-10-2006, 12:52 AM
I used to read pinkisthenewblog.com until I realized how unfunny it actually was and how this guy was actually being payed to blog and how ridiculous an idea that was to me.

I guess Punker's right in that way. Sign o' times.