PDA

View Full Version : Computer/internet viruses questions

the_GoDdEsS
05-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Obviously I really have no idea about this, that's why I need to ask.

The old computer has crashed two times since I got DSL last year and been connected 24/7. First time due to spyware, second time some virus that completely destroyed it. I've had a firewall and been using Avast on this computer which frequently updates itself online and I do frequent check-ups. Appears clean. But God knows, is it really?

Today I got myself a new computer and the moment I connected it to the internet for the first time, the Panda antivir/antispyware that was installed on it detected and blocked a "net virus" and another "attack". Meanwhile I did not even open Internet Explorer. So I was all wtf because I did not even do anything with it. Does it mean I get the same attacks on the old computer and don't know about it because Avast does not detect them?

So now I'm extremely furious at all technology and demand safety!

Help? Would be appreciated. Thanks.

mrconeman
05-09-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm pretty like yourself on the matter, I dont know much, one thing I do know however is...

Internet Explorer
That is a bad idea. Get Mozilla Firefox, less chance of attacks/pop-ups ect.

Rag Doll
05-09-2006, 12:49 PM
:mad: IE??? IE is the devil!!! It's such a shitty browser and anyone who uses it is fucking gay. To all of you pussies out there on the Internet: your current browser sucks. there's a new browser in town and it pwns the everloving shit out of whatever crappy browser you have right now. Do yourself a fucking favor and get fucking FIREFOX (www.tubgirl.com). It PWNZ your ass!!!!! I swear, I discovered it myself. Really. In fact I think I might have even programmed it. Oh well, no harm in acting like I did. Firefox >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> IE. Faggots. 8==========D

no real advice. Just thought I'd get that out of the way before somebody goes on the same rant seriously.

*ahem*

anyways. i'm not much help. i do know that panda detected a lot of stuff on my old computer that my previous virus protection didn't detect. so maybe avast wasn't detecting the stuff, like you said? not really sure =\.

HornyPope
05-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Your browser is just one application (holding several ports between different processes). Meanwhile there are thousands of other ports that are exposed to vulnerabilities and attacks from the moment you connect to the internet.
Worms circulate on the internet constantly. Millions of computers are infected at any time and send out signals at random to other computers to infect them as well.

And on top of your anti-viruses, get ad-aware from lavasoft. Search it at www.download.com and download it... and well, instal it and run it.

the_GoDdEsS
05-09-2006, 01:01 PM
Grrz, I know. It's just horrible. Thanks.

Idiot
05-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Some anti-spyware programs, apparently AVG for one [which I use] say that they've found a couple of viruses just after you install them - sometimes these are made up to make the program 'instantly seem better' .

Lars
05-09-2006, 02:07 PM
I've never had that happen when installing AVG and I've been using it for years.

Rinoa
05-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Some anti-spyware programs, apparently AVG for one [which I use] say that they've found a couple of viruses just after you install them - sometimes these are made up to make the program 'instantly seem better' .

I've never had that problem with AVG.

Bryan875
05-09-2006, 02:13 PM
if your looking for a better anti-virus use macafee

Endymion
05-09-2006, 03:10 PM
incorrect.

anyway, virus scanners don't necessarily block attacks in real-time, you'd need a firewall for that sort of thing. zone alarm seems to be pretty good for free stuff. a good nat router is your friend though. seriously.

no_way
05-09-2006, 03:19 PM

i was going to say the same, mc afee it's probably the best one, specially if you've got a powerful pc. firewall may work alright too. I've never had firefox but they told me it's really good and safer

Sinister
05-09-2006, 03:33 PM
http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/?viruses_small

SkunkIt
05-09-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm pretty like yourself on the matter, I dont know much, one thing I do know however is...

That is a bad idea. Get Mozilla Firefox, less chance of attacks/pop-ups ect.

Yes, I just got this a minute ago and it seems to be running smoothly, unlike IE, which made me angry with all those error messages.

GreenTerror
05-10-2006, 12:51 AM
I have also just made the switch from IE to Firefox. I like it much more than Internet Explorer.
The tabs = :)

And on top of your anti-viruses, get ad-aware from lavasoft. Search it at www.download.com and download it... and well, instal it and run it.

I don't have any Anti-Virus software on my computer at all, because it usually costs money. Money I don't have. So the Windows firewall is pretty much all I have to depend on to block attacks (Bad, I know). But I scan every now and then (and whenever my computer acts up) with Ad-Aware, and it catches mostly everything. But usually all I get when I do the random scans is Tracking Cookies from Myspace. It's a very very good program though, and it's free. Get it if you don't have it.

Izie
05-10-2006, 02:29 AM
I use AVG as anti-virus, Spybot search and destroy and spyware blaster as, whaddaya know, anti-spyware.

I was gonna install zone alarm again, but I dunno how it'd go with my network and the internetz and all. I shall see when the computer guy comes to fix my goddamn fan today :/

the_GoDdEsS
05-10-2006, 03:24 AM
I used to have Spybot. I guess I'll get it again.

Lars
05-10-2006, 03:35 AM
I have also just made the switch from IE to Firefox. I like it much more than Internet Explorer.
The tabs = :)

I don't have any Anti-Virus software on my computer at all, because it usually costs money. Money I don't have. So the Windows firewall is pretty much all I have to depend on to block attacks (Bad, I know). But I scan every now and then (and whenever my computer acts up) with Ad-Aware, and it catches mostly everything. But usually all I get when I do the random scans is Tracking Cookies from Myspace. It's a very very good program though, and it's free. Get it if you don't have it.
Get AVG free edition (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1) it works quite well and is (obviously) free.

Idiot
05-10-2006, 04:18 AM
I use AVG as anti-virus, Spybot search and destroy and spyware blaster.

I use the same here. And Sygate Firewall.

GreenTerror
05-10-2006, 04:39 AM
Get AVG free edition (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1) it works quite well and is (obviously) free.
Thanks, I'll download it tomorrow though. 16MB = At least an hour with my connection :(
Sleep now.

Idiot
05-10-2006, 05:39 AM
:eek: dial-up ?

Lars
05-10-2006, 05:44 AM
Thanks, I'll download it tomorrow though. 16MB = At least an hour with my connection :(
Sleep now.
I'd forgotten it has gotten so large. It used to be about 3mb. Have fun with that.

the_GoDdEsS
05-21-2006, 02:47 AM
Here goes again. *sighs* Computers are frustrating up to the point I really wish I were an expert at this.

I still don't use the new computer and only connected it to the internet for like an hour, ever. Because I did not find the Panda activation key and I wasn't going to connect it to the net without protection. So last night I connect it, looking for activation key. Did not find so I said fuck it, downloaded Avast Home Edition and installed it on it. Then all of a sudden Avast finds a memory virus in the Panda folder. Something like pskavs.dll containing a sample of WIN32 CX or something like that. Someone tell me what that is all about?

Idiot
05-21-2006, 03:41 AM
Have a read here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12408;prev_next=next

the_GoDdEsS
05-21-2006, 03:50 AM
Oh thanks. So I guess it's not a virus. But it'll keep popping up, blah.

Idiot
05-21-2006, 04:04 AM
Can't you delete the file?

There's a bit at the bottom of that page, which suggests another way of getting rid of it:

"Because of its location in the windows\system32\ folder system restore may save a copy of this, so you may need to disable system restore, reboot and then delete it."

the_GoDdEsS
05-21-2006, 04:05 AM
Can't delete or put it to chest. Tried after system restart too.