PDA

View Full Version : but titles are always the hardest

HornyPope
05-09-2006, 08:07 PM
today i wrote an essay. i loved it. but i want to pass the test of time, first.
i'm kidding. i didn't write anything at all.

communicating with an audience is embarassing
it's embarassing because you can never anticipate a reaction. but who can?

is the coolest way to say a phrase is also the hottest and bestest? or shortest?

literature barriers are broken all too often. at times--many times--i prefer a unified structure, in particular if it is a beautiful play of tongue.

people tend to appriciate unique talents more than they appriciate helpfull/useful talents.

i sometimes like to write without caps.

Little_Miss_1565
05-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Vlad, are you drunk?

HornyPope
05-09-2006, 08:14 PM
um no, why?

Little_Miss_1565
05-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Post seemed oddly out of character to me. Nevermind, as you were.

HornyPope
05-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Actually this is the first time I served myself kasha before I took the beer. and mind you, I had opened this beer sooner!

sKratch
05-09-2006, 08:26 PM
not kasha grichana, right? that shit is grooosssssss.

HornyPope
05-09-2006, 08:28 PM
hey remember when the board was full of crap? how both forums, you know which, were a mix of contemporary GOD plus random political, philosophical gibberish?
well I suppose it's easier for you to be reminded--you to this day post in an offspring-related discussions and threads. Hah!

Little_Miss_1565
05-09-2006, 08:28 PM
kasha is delicious whole grain goodness. Especially with carrots and mushrooms chopped up in it. And some butter. Mmmmmm.

hey remember when the board was full of crap? how both forums, you know which, were a mix of contemporary GOD plus random political, philosophical gibberish?
well I suppose it's easier for you to be reminded--you to this day post in an offspring-related discussions and threads. Hah!

Was that directed at me?

HornyPope
05-09-2006, 08:30 PM
hey remember when there was no quote button? like the ubb code didn't exist; or maybe fullerene didn't have it implemented then.

anyways, no. it's some modern, american quaker stuff. i can't believe there is actually a brand name on a sort of a product! eugh. filthy capitalists!

HornyPope
05-09-2006, 08:31 PM
of course in those days we would also say before the post at whom it was directed, or some among us use to break it in parts dedicated to each quotee, so to speak.

oh and we didn't have an edit button.

sKratch
05-09-2006, 08:32 PM
html enabled for the win!

Little_Miss_1565
05-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Fullerene? Is that another name for the pedophile?

HornyPope
05-09-2006, 08:35 PM
i had the option to enable the html once but i thought it was imprudent and would lead to abuse of death scripts and the such (contained within a post) and so i never enabled it.
i did restore the ubb code, however.
never got a proper thanks for it even, back then. or am i senile?

sKratch
05-09-2006, 08:36 PM
didn't steven noooooooooooo use html to forward to yankeessuck.org? That was fun.

HornyPope
05-09-2006, 08:37 PM
no, not fullerene. was it infopop? yeah that's the name.

Rag Doll
05-09-2006, 08:38 PM
didn't steven noooooooooooo use html to forward to yankeessuck.org? That was fun.

yes...yes he did.

HornyPope
05-09-2006, 08:40 PM
yeah.
then on some hax0rs homepage i took the crash script and plastered it over couple of other boards i used to frequant. lolz le terrorist c'est moi.

Little_Miss_1565
05-09-2006, 08:51 PM
what is a fullerene

sKratch
05-09-2006, 08:52 PM
a wolverine, but fuller.

Little_Miss_1565
05-09-2006, 08:54 PM
ikillyou. :mad:

JohnnyNemesis
05-09-2006, 08:55 PM
What the FUCK is going on here?

Seriously...?

0r4ng3
05-09-2006, 08:56 PM
They lost me at "today, i wrote an essay".

HornyPope
05-09-2006, 09:03 PM
loltothez at skratch.

it's a development company for bulletin boards, sarah. they are licended by interscope and geffen and i think colombia records boards.

Sunny
05-09-2006, 09:03 PM

oh man. hahah. i feel like a nerd for remembering it.

kasha with mushrooms and carrots does sound amazing. dude, 1565, i want your recipes :( i'm learning how to cook and you seem to know your shit :(

truth. hi vlad. <2

HornyPope
05-09-2006, 09:07 PM
there isn't nearly enough slav dialect in the americas. but how come? why did the fucking italians and greeks and irish and germans spread their shit but we didn't?

HornyPope
05-09-2006, 09:10 PM
They lost me at "today, i wrote an essay".

Should'a wrote "they lost me at today" only.

as in "you had me at hello". you know? lol? that was one "night at the roxbury" sketch i enjoyed.

Endymion
05-09-2006, 09:33 PM
what is a fullerene
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/C540_stereo_animation.gif

Lizardus
05-09-2006, 09:41 PM
What the FUCK is going on here?

Seriously...?

HP is fucking drunk.

Little_Miss_1565
05-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Endy: LOLZ, boobiez!

offspringis the best band
05-09-2006, 10:58 PM
a wolverine, but fuller.

lol.

+5 points.

wheelchairman
05-09-2006, 11:50 PM
I thought Quaker Oats was owned by Quakers. That's like one of their more profitable ventures. Much like furniture for the amish, or bicycles for Christania.

Izie
05-10-2006, 01:23 AM

People spend lifetiems educating themselves to try and anticipate a reaction, or even more, to try and CREATE the reaction they want. They actualy succeed at times, whaddayaknow?

people tend to appriciate unique talents more than they appriciate helpfull/useful talents.

Yeah because everyone is expected to be helpful/useful, so when someone is extra helpful/useful not a lot of people pay attention or care, because it's understood. Poo.

i sometimes like to write without caps.

Yeah right sometimes :p

there isn't nearly enough slav dialect in the americas. but how come? why did the fucking italians and greeks and irish and germans spread their shit but we didn't?

The ones I know:
a) refuse to show they're Slavic by using their native language because they're ashamed of it and/or because they want to get "integrated" (assimilated) better and recognized as "western".
b) are friggin' proud theyr'e Slavic and don't want their "perfect" langauges mixed with the dirty western one.

Yay for us?

I'm also beginning to cook. Someone start a recipe thread? Someone who actually KNOWS how to cook and can share? Kthxbi.

Tizzalicious
05-10-2006, 01:27 AM
Iz, I know how to cook, but you know how much I suck at explaining things, so I don't think that would work out :(

Izie
05-10-2006, 01:31 AM
Would be nice if you tried anyway :p

And you don't suck at explaining things, wtf?

Tizzalicious
05-10-2006, 01:31 AM
I really do, go ask Per :p

I'll try anyway, and you speak Dutch, that helps :P

I'll give you my favourite recipe! Actually, I can even foward it from the site I got it from!

Izie
05-10-2006, 01:33 AM
Yeah, like Per not getting things means you can't explain. Whatta bull.

Just show :p

Tizzalicious
05-10-2006, 01:34 AM
Haha, I love you.

It's not me, it's just him being stupid.

BREAK
05-10-2006, 07:09 PM
I'm with you. I'm working on a novella right now, and every time I have a productive day and commit a lot of words to the page, I have to stop and second-guess myself. Did I use the right phrase to capture the feel I was going for? Does this communicate the emotion I am trying to get across? Are there more powerful words I could be using to achieve a greater effect? Then whenever I go a long time without writing anything, I get the urge to toss the whole thing out and start over again. The part I hate the most is having to come up with names for characters. I don't know why, but I hate most people's names.

Betty
05-10-2006, 07:42 PM
literature barriers are broken all too often. at times--many times--i prefer a unified structure, in particular if it is a beautiful play of tongue.

I often hate reading what I've written after I've written it. When it's an essay I'm particularly happy with, it's not always so bad. But reading old conversations/e-mails always makes me feel ridiculous and somewhat embarassed. I don't quite know why.

But regarding the quote, I'm a really big fan of straightforward prose.

I also find flowery writing to be unecessary, which you may disagree with. I can appreciate good, simple writing: wit, vocabulary (but not over-the-top), expressions, smoothness, etc. I've found that whenever I'm reading a text, I almost always end up skimming or entirely skipping descriptions. Of people, of places. I never visualize things in my mind. I simply know they are happening.

HornyPope
05-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Everyone I came across suffers from that same problem. It's not even that we doubt ourself as we're afraid the reaction of the audience. Even the utmost private notes are scrutinized as if they will be read by someone. We're afraid to be misunderstood and mislabeled. We're afraid to reveal (unintentionally) our own weakness through our writings. We're afraid to present a sub-standard piece.
At least that's the initial state of anyone attempting to write. I do like to think that one gets accustomed to it eventually.

Isolated Fury
05-10-2006, 08:07 PM
But if it's for a class, forget about publications for a second, why be afriad of exxposing your weakness. Your professor isn't grading you on your standard of iron will. I don't anything to worry about, personally.

HornyPope
05-10-2006, 08:11 PM
But the professor is an audience. I can't give him an impression that my writing is less than extraordinary--which it is. But like hell he's going to find it out!

Isolated Fury
05-10-2006, 08:15 PM
So be an elitist asshole when you write. That's what I do. Just picture yourself as a steadfast source of information that cannot be threatened. If you write confidently, it will be read.

HornyPope
05-10-2006, 08:17 PM
But regarding the quote, I'm a really big fan of straightforward prose.

I also find flowery writing to be unecessary, which you may disagree with. I can appreciate good, simple writing: wit, vocabulary (but not over-the-top), expressions, smoothness, etc. I've found that whenever I'm reading a text, I almost always end up skimming or entirely skipping descriptions. Of people, of places. I never visualize things in my mind. I simply know they are happening.

I like it straightforward, but I prefer style. A combination of both is best.
I remember my favourite paragraphs and phrases in every book and enjoy a great deal to read them again and again. I love the sentances that just look... so complete.

HornyPope
05-10-2006, 08:19 PM
So be an elitist asshole when you write. That's what I do. Just picture yourself as a steadfast source of information that cannot be threatened. If you write confidently, it will be read.

I can't be confident if I write crap. I'm very anal about it.

Isolated Fury
05-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Do you talk crap?

HornyPope
05-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Not if I made a speech.
I don't mind writing or talking crap when it doesn't matter, like on this forum. I mind it when it's a sincere piece that showcases my talents.

Isolated Fury
05-10-2006, 08:35 PM
Just...act like you're talking to us. Forget that you're even taking a course. Write as if you're speaking.

HornyPope
05-10-2006, 08:39 PM
The classic "just don't look down the bridge and you won't notice the height" method? Doesn't work.
And i'm not taking a course.

Isolated Fury
05-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Oh. I haven't read the whole thread, so I don't know your exact situation. What's it for?

And I would really compare it to the "just don't look down the bridge and you won't notice the height." It can be similar, but I look at it more as you're putting yourself in a completely different setting. And since that setting has different influences, you behave differently.

HornyPope
05-10-2006, 08:45 PM
I'm just dicking around with thoughts. That's all there is to it.

Isolated Fury
05-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Ooooh.

Hm...I've got nothing.

Betty
05-10-2006, 09:46 PM
I agree. And I don't write. But if I did... or when I did...

If I were to post something on here, let's say, I still have that excuse of "well, I didn't really try... if I really tried, it would be great."

I can't write seriously. Because I have to dwell on each sentence for 15 minutes, constantly reshaping it until it's perfect. And then it's still not perfect. But I just have to move on. And it takes me hours to compose a short essay. I love to sit down and brainstorm and organize ideas and plan an essay, but I absolutely hate to sit and write and craft the sentences. That is one of the biggest reasons I am a science student today.

Izie
05-11-2006, 02:06 AM
Ah right, arrogant enough to think we can write yet insecure enough to never want to show it to people because they will "misunderstand", or they plain and simple won't relate.

From what I managed to gather, writing for an audience is where it goes wrong. You don't write for the audience. You write for the story. Writing for people to understand isn't so difficult, I mentioned before that there are schools where you learn how to present things so they'd appeal to people. But that's not the issue, you want this story, these characters, these thoughts to MATTER.

So choose - do you want to appeal to the audience, or do you want to tell a story? Some parts will be misunderstood, some parts people can't relate to, some parts important to you will be ignored, but that's how life is too, isn't it? We don't always understand and relate. But we get the big picture, most of the time, but the details escape us. Nothing is perfect. No writing, no story, no audience.

The only real audience you have to please in cases such as these is yourself. Unless, of course, you're trying to write a bestseller and don't care one bit about anything else. Well, then it's even easier, really.