PDA

View Full Version : Information on my life.

Andy
05-09-2006, 08:19 PM
Well, if anyone cares, I made possibly the biggest decision of my adult life this week: I am dropping from the Nursing degree.

No longer will I be known as Nurse Andy.

Tomorrow (well...Later today) I am going to my university's Student Centre, and I am basically going to tell them I don't want to carry on with my course and want to know my options for future dregee opportunities - I need to stay at this this Uni, because I've already spent 250 paying for the deposit on my house next year.

I don't really care what some people think on here: this is big news for me, as I've always been known as a nurse to the people who know me.

To be honest I have no idea what I want to go into from now on, although I want to go into business. Maybe Business Management.

I apologise for the shoddy way this is written, and the fact that this is more of a statement rather than a thread; the fact is that I am drunk, but the ceoncept of the thread is still the same. I am quitting nursing.

Endymion
05-09-2006, 08:21 PM
*everyone* drops to business.

Andy
05-09-2006, 08:24 PM
It's not fully decided yet mate. I want to do something that interests me, but this is why I am going to the student centre tomorrow: to enrich me on my choices.

sKratch
05-09-2006, 08:24 PM
You had to move on from getting breast fed sooner or later...

/joke

That sucks dude... I'm assuming you've already put a lot of time into your nursing degree, so it's going to be difficult to pick something else up. But hey, in the US almost everyone changes their major at some point. And if you don't graduate in time you're just extending your childhood which rocks hard. Good luck, or cheers as you lot say.

Andy
05-09-2006, 08:25 PM
That sucks dude... I'm assuming you've already put a lot of time into your nursing degree, so it's going to be difficult to pick something else up. But hey, in the US almost everyone changes their major at some point. And if you don't graduate in time you're just extending your childhood which rocks hard. Good luck, or cheers as you lot say.
Thanks buddy, I need all the luck I can get.

0r4ng3
05-09-2006, 08:25 PM
I heard that on average, students change their major 2 or 3 times in 4 years of college.

Endymion
05-09-2006, 08:27 PM
I heard that on average, students change their major 2 or 3 times in 4 years of college.
damn, i'm screwing up those statistics

Little_Miss_1565
05-09-2006, 08:27 PM
Man. Intense. What precipitated this change in degree?

Don't do business. L'ame, not to mention boring.

Andy
05-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Man. Intense. What precipitated this change in degree?

Don't do business. L'ame, not to mention boring.
I've just lost all interest in being a nurse. Over the last couple of months I've realised I really don't have what it takes to be one. I can't really explain it, I'm just not cut out for it.

Too selfish, I guess.

All About Eve
05-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Well with the Conks on the rise, why are you worrying?

But seriously, you're not a boring loser; you're a quite interesting loser, and you'll find something that suits you better, although I doubt a computer-in-a-cubicle job will be the one.

Andy
05-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Thanks fella. Yeah, I'm far too much of a social being to be stuck in a boring cubicle job for the rest of my days, I really have no real idea what I want to do.

In a weird way, I'm quite apprehensive about what's going to happen next year.

T-6005
05-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Well, good luck in finding something new. I've finished a year without having chosen anything at all, so it's not the end of the world. But good luck anyways.

Lizardus
05-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Good luck with everything life traveler.
May the winds of Destiny guide you through your path.

barangatang
05-09-2006, 09:22 PM
You seem to love music/make music. Maybe you could intern with a record label. I'm sure some business training could help with that. Good luck.

killer_queen
05-10-2006, 04:59 AM
Being a nurse has lots of great advantages. Like getting married with a doctor.
But of course, you should do what you really want with your life. I envy people like you. Good luck with everything.

Nicole
05-10-2006, 06:30 AM
How far did you get into your program?

In my Nursing program we just had to write this huge essay on how shit the working conditions are for Nurses. Apparently a few researched it and then proceeded to drop out.

I think it's one of those things you have to love, because realistically the uni course is fairly hard and the work is hard and painful. Most of the people in my course are hell bent that they're all going to do pediatrics because they "can't" do anything else :/ I'm gong to sleep well when they all drop out because the first clinical is in an aged care facility.

Paint_It_Black
05-10-2006, 07:12 AM
Andy, this is big news indeed. It sounds to me like you've made the right decision though. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

the_GoDdEsS
05-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Well, actually I am quite happy for you that you know what you don't want to do. It's a step. Eventually exclude other possibilities and evaluate what you have left. You're still young and have time. At least you learnt something from this.

The problem is that we are or were just too young to decide on our majors. I made my decision at the age of 18. Too early. I would have gone for something completely different.

Idiot
05-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Good luck with it all mate. At the end of the day, there's nothing worse than being stuck doing something you really don't want to do. Well done for getting out before its too late.

the_GoDdEsS
05-10-2006, 12:37 PM
It's never too late unless you knock a chick up or you're 50. Then it might be too late.

Idiot
05-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Well in that case at least there's no longer a chance of him meeting any new hot female nurses which he could 'knock up'.

killer_queen
05-10-2006, 12:46 PM
It's never too late unless you knock a chick up or you're 50. Then it might be too late.
Well, it can be. Although I'm 16 I think it's too late for me. Depends on what you want to do, I guess.

the_GoDdEsS
05-10-2006, 12:48 PM
No, people make a big deal out of everything and pressure with it. It's never too late to change certain decisions.

JohnnyNemesis
05-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Although I'm 16 I think it's too late for me.

Wait, WHAT?!>!?>?!?!?

no_way
05-10-2006, 01:05 PM
"it's not over till you're underground
it's not over before it's too late...
this city's burning
it's not my blender"

sorry, great job, i'm really proud of you, now you just need to decide what to do with your life!! :D

H1T_That
05-10-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm doing Business Economics, Business Finance, Marketing, Customer Service and Human Resources.

all are business related.

All are complete shit.

Avoid business at all costs.

JohnnyNemesis
05-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I don't understand why anyone would do Business, personally.

Congratulations on the switch though! Nursing strikes me as something really good for people, though. But trust me, I just switched out of a discipline I couldn't stand any more, so I know how it feels to move on that need to jump! Congrats again.

All About Eve
05-10-2006, 03:27 PM
I suppose a nurse background may be a tad of a stepping stone for any doctor area you might want to get into.

JohnnyNemesis
05-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Pfft, not even. Get that nursing degree and you make TONS of money and go to school for a muuuuuuuuuuch shorter time than if you were a doctor. And you pay less in tuition overall.

Izie
05-11-2006, 02:13 AM
Hi, hello.

I've given up Politics basically, and now I'm stuck not knowing what I'll do next. I bloody hate it :(

And I always feel like it's too late for something, whatever it may be.

Nina
05-11-2006, 05:26 AM
Being a nurse has lots of great advantages. Like getting married with a doctor.

That amused me so much. Haha.

Andy, that is INDEED a big decision. But you are completely right with if it truely stopped to interest you. You shouldnt be doing something for the rest of your life if it isnt interesting!!!

Good luck with everything. And dont do Business :[

Daemon
05-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Yeah, I don't understand why anyone would do Business, personally.

studying business is like trying to eat stale bread thru a straw

Idiot
05-11-2006, 07:40 AM
Guess the moral is to listen to your siblings !

Daemon
05-11-2006, 07:45 AM
Same could be said for any field provided you're not made for it. I'm not the business-type apparently, so I don't fit in that well either, but some I know are enjoying it.
Anyway according to my bro I should have become a language or literature teacher (English, Spanish if I cared to build up more) because this would have been a sinecure for me (at least in France): giving out 15 hours worth of lessons a week, writing one or two prefaces, 3,000 a month. I was just made for it (or so he says). Too bad, I rejected the concept as "too easy, not nearly challenging enough". Now I'm stuck in a course I don't like, I don't work that much, & I can't get out of it.

The thing that I hate is that I'm not trying because I dispise it, and I'm (so far) getting A's... WTF?! Time for a change...

Izie
05-11-2006, 07:48 AM
Guess the moral is to listen to your siblings !

Hah, my sister is telling me to go do business, and you see what people here are saying about it :p

Daemon
05-11-2006, 08:12 AM
Too true but of course. Note that he never listens to me either. And he's stubborn & always wrong when the decisions concern him, but unfortunately, he's insight as far as my little person is concerned.

...little person? :confused:

:D

Andy
05-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Hey, thanks everyone for all your supportive talking. Honestly, it's almost enough to make me go all emotional.

That's a lie. Thanks though.

Anyway, I have the ball rolling now. I'm getting a form tomorrow that I need to fall in to drop my course. I also have some prospecuses (prospecti?) that I'll look through tomorrow.

I am now considering media. Media production or something along those lines. Smooth.

Tired_Of_You
05-11-2006, 05:18 PM
It's Frenchified English! :p it's supposed to be gently humorous.Hahaha, I read "little person" and din't have any problems with it. I guess I unconsciously translated it in French.

Andy : good luck finding something that you're interested in!

Nina
05-12-2006, 07:50 AM
I also have some prospecuses (prospecti?)

cutie.

<3

Andy
05-12-2006, 08:23 AM
cutie.

<3

F..T..W

(10)

JoY
05-12-2006, 08:46 AM
*everyone* drops to business.
speak for yourself.

if this is the right decision for you, Andy, & it makes you happy, etc, then this is great news. =) I wish you the best of luck. I could say I'm disappointed you quit healthcare, but yeah, you know what would really be disappointing? you, as a nurse, unhappy as fuck. so good for you.

Rocky-girl
05-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Exuse me I didn't understand are you a doctor?

Andy
05-12-2006, 11:56 AM
I just realised that I may have completely fucked myself.

As mentioned before, thanks to my extreme laziness, my A-Level results may seriously affect my chance of getting a decent course next year. From just flicking through the prospectus I couldn't find one course that suits me in both interest and my ability to succeed in my application.

Fuck it, I'll just apply to everything I want to anyway. If I get in, fantastic. If i don't, no biggy.

I can just wait another year and start as a Mature Student.

I'm fucked.

Endymion
05-12-2006, 01:30 PM
speak for yourself.
i meant *if* someone drops, it's to business. no one drops from english lit to premed. or the other way around. they drop from premed to business. maybe have a stop along the way. chemical engineering or some such. but they'll end up in business.

Andy
05-15-2006, 08:08 AM
Well, time for some news bumpage.

I discovered something earlier today, a slight overlook on my behalf: The reccommended application date was January 15th.

Ah.

SO, even though I do fit the criteria for the courses I'm applying to, it's a HUGE gamble if there'll be room for me. Crap.

Oh, incidentally, the courses are:

English Language & Communication, with Journalism and Media Cultures,
Media Technology and Digital Broadcast, and
Multimedia Communication, with English Language & Communication

All About Eve
05-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Good luck, mate. Hope it works out.

Andy
05-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks man, stay tuned for more news as and when I can be arsed to find it out.

Andy
05-30-2006, 07:01 AM
Time for some bumpage.

Well, I haven't actually handed the withdrawal form in yet, but I'm not going back, so there.

I went to the Job Centre today to sign on for a Jobseekers Allowance (yes, another way of sponging Taxpayers' money), I've got a meeting there on the 13th to sort out what my options are and all that guff.

Until then, I'll be a professional bum. And love it.

Paint_It_Black
05-30-2006, 07:04 AM
So what's happening? Are you dropping out of education completely?

Andy
05-30-2006, 07:10 AM
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure mate. I think that I'm going to probably wait a year, get some money through work and then go for a Media course at a local uni. That would be the sensible option. Although that would mean that I'd be starting university when everyone else gets back. That would be weird.

Paint_It_Black
05-30-2006, 07:18 AM
Just think long and hard about it. And then think some more. Then go to the pub, have a few drinks and think even more. At this point you'll probably decide that education is a big waste of time and you should definitely drop out for good. Then throw up, go home and pass out. Now here's the important bit. The next morning you need to think about it again.

In all seriousness, dropping out of college is one of the biggest regrets of my life. Now obviously, you're not me. But I don't want you to end up feeling the way I do. If you take a year off is that going to cause any problems that you know of? If not, it's probably a great idea. Give yourself some perspective. Maybe work some shitty jobs. It'll probably really help you get your head straight on all this. Above all else, don't make any hasty decisions and you should be fine.

Preocupado
05-30-2006, 08:34 AM
Taking a year or simply a semester off from studies inside the institution have always been a holy medicine for me. I've done that twice already.

The first break led me to move out of my family's town, which was the most productive decision of my life. The second break led me to switch from Business school to Psychology school, which was the second best decision of my life.

killer_queen
05-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Uncle Richard gives good advice about thinking. There's nothing more to add.
Except, I think waiting for a year is not a good idea in any kind of situation.

And don't drink. God doesn't approve.

the_GoDdEsS
05-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Taking a year off is what many people seem to want to do. And the big percentage of them never returns to college.

Little_Miss_1565
05-30-2006, 12:51 PM
I agree that taking a year off when you're unsure of what you want to come next can be a bad idea if you intend to finish schooling.

Izie
05-30-2006, 02:03 PM
I HOPE taking a year off isn't a bad idea when it comes to finishing schooling, since it's somewhat similar to what I'm doing now. I suppose it's different for everyone.

All I can do is wish you the best of luck. I'm guessing you'll need it.

wheelchairman
05-30-2006, 02:14 PM
It depends who you are. In Denmark it's the norm. Everyone does it as some point. But in Denmark you are also paid to go study higher education. So quitting is not entirely beneficial for your economy. Although you can of course make more money full-time.