PDA

View Full Version : Work + University

OnSpring!
05-10-2006, 01:21 AM
Hi Guyz!
What's your professional situation?
I mean, i work and i try to study at university the faculty of economy.
But i don't get nothing because it's too hard to do the 2 things together..
I need some money because no one gives me to satisfy me. But at the same time i want to get a degree..
Some people are advantaged cause their parents have many money so they don't need to work!! I envy those.... BYE!

Daemon
05-10-2006, 04:56 AM
I'm studying full time, a Bachelor of Commerce and Administration, majoring in Marketing and Commercial Law. I also work 15-20 hours per week. It's hard out and means I don't get nearly enough time for class work. But it's character building

OnSpring!
05-10-2006, 06:38 AM
yes, you're right daemon.
I want absolutely a part-time cause with my full time i can't study ...and i lose money with the university..DAMN! :mad:

Nicole
05-10-2006, 06:57 AM
I study Nursing full time and work casual as a Personal Care Assistant. You need to go for part time or casual jobs that are supportive of you being a student. Luckily my industry is all for moving up the career ladder so they only have me available for work 3 days a week and even then I only work about 2 shifts a week.

Most people can juggle work and full time uni. So long as you get a job that doesn't involve huge hours or travelling times you will be fine.

Endymion
05-10-2006, 08:19 AM
i'm about a year from finishing my two bachelors. i work in a lab on campus. i'm thinking about moving to a different one once my projects in this one are complete.

wheelchairman
05-10-2006, 08:35 AM
I'm pretty drunk, and possibly still high. So while reading this, I didn't pay attention. However I want to acknowledge the fact that I tried.

Tired_Of_You
05-10-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm not in university yet but I finished high school last year. I study in what they call a cégep here, it's kinda like between high school and university. I have a part time job in a super market. I work around 20 hours a week and I can manage it easily.

Rinoa
05-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Do what I did - get an apprenticeship. You get paid to learn.

I work for BT as a Property & Infrastructure planner. However, I'm also studying for a NVQ and BTEC in telecommunications - all at BT's expense.

I am, in my spare time at home, also studying for a degree in Web Design. I do that when and where I want, although only difference is I pay for it myself.

wheelchairman
05-10-2006, 11:21 AM
I'm studying full time, a Bachelor of Commerce and Administration, majoring in Marketing and Commercial Law. I also work 15-20 hours per week. It's hard out and means I don't get nearly enough time for class work. But it's character building
Warning! Hofstede Called you a Faggot with a high Degree of Femininity!

platinumpt
05-10-2006, 12:53 PM
I work full time.

killer_queen
05-10-2006, 02:30 PM
My dearest daddy found me a great job this week. From now on I'm an editor(it's what you call it, right?) for a monthly magazine. They want me to write something about teenagers' lives. Especially about life as a university student after I start to go univeristy. It's gonna take a couple of hours and then I'll be free for a whole month.

platinumpt
05-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Write about teenager tru punx.

Rag Doll
05-10-2006, 03:53 PM
I'm a full time student, double majoring in Political Science and Women's Studies. I'm also in the Pre-Law progam, meaning in (hopefully) 2 years, I'll be heading off to law school. I also work full time in a liquor store. Cashier, secretarial work, shipping, website, etc...

It can be kinda hectic going to school full time with 2 majors and working full time, but...*shrug*. Bills don't pay themselves. Unfortunately.

Daemon
05-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Warning! Hofstede Called you a Faggot with a high Degree of Femininity!

Heh, yeah I agree. I'm hating the course and will most likely chuck it in at the end of the year (I figure may as well get my fee's worth).

Daemon
05-11-2006, 08:51 AM
It depends. Normally I'm a full-time student but I've done a couple stints as piano tutor. It's so depressing to teach ppl with no skills & who make jarring sounds that I hardly do that anymore. Next year -if I pass THIS year- I think I'll be taking piano teaching as a sideline though. Masochism? Maybe.
Otherwise I study business, comprising for now law, micro-eco, human resources, logistics, stats, marketing, finance, ... If I pass THIS year I'll be majoring in... finance, hopefully.

Finance = math, math, math, math + math

Daemon
05-11-2006, 09:14 AM
Oh dear. Well, we'll see. I've still the time to die or change my mind.

Oh, & hang it all. I hate business. I can't recall why I landed here in the first place.

I know why I landed. Thought it would be a sweet way to get money, easy way to secure a job.

Then I discovered COURSE REQUIREMENTS...

Endymion
05-11-2006, 10:19 AM
am i the only one who *wishes* he could major in math?

JoY
05-12-2006, 06:08 AM
study medicine full time. with other activities included (I need a life, of course), medicine makes it impossible to have a job on the side.

killer_queen
05-12-2006, 06:54 AM
am i the only one who *wishes* he could major in math?
Of course. Since brain is the only thing you need to be good at maths no one would like to study maths at university. Studying never works.

study medicine full time. with other activities included (I need a life, of course), medicine makes it impossible to have a job on the side.
I hope you can find enough spare time for yourself. My dad started to be too insistent about me studying medicine next year and it seems like I don't have any choice.

Andy
05-12-2006, 07:20 AM
I am currently in-between, er, everything.

JoY
05-12-2006, 07:32 AM
I hope you can find enough spare time for yourself. My dad started to be too insistent about me studying medicine next year and it seems like I don't have any choice.
you have to want it. really want it for reasons that are right for you. that enable you to imagine yourself as a future doctor. medicine has to be in your dreams & ambitions to make it work. you have to realise how much you will be dealing with sickness & death & you have to feel you're strong enough to deal with such an amount of misery. & that you want to deal with that misery to make at least a few people healthier & better.

I -can- find enough time for a fraternity/sorority, a gypsy band & certain musical projects, but I always have to be on my toes when it comes to my study. the last years I was too.. easy going, maybe didn't take it seriously enough. whatever the cause was, I didn't put enough effort in it. I had to work on parts of myself & it seems like the last few years I've been busier studying & working on myself than on medicine. that has caused me to be put back to the first year two times, which you could see as a waste of time, but it's still been mighty educational in many ways.