PDA

View Full Version : Guess Who Hates The Offspring

Ultima94
05-10-2006, 10:11 PM
What Bad Religion says about The Offspring

They don't particularly like them. Once, asked about The Offspring, they replied "If you've nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all". They were supposed to play with The Offspring in Argentina in 1999 and while they were in the plane, flying to Buenos Aires, they were told that The Offspring didn't want to play, so the concert had been suspended. To this day The Offspring haven't explained to BR why they did that, but they suspect it was The Offspring being petty, wanting to be the headliners, and not wanting to share the stage with BR, as Greg explained in a radio interview in Buenos Aires two years later.

Brian said comparing BR to The Offspring is like comparing apples and oranges. Greg said that in part the reason The Offspring got so big and sold millions of copies of Smash is that BR left Epitaph and so the label was then able to focus on other bands. Brett on the other hand said the departure of BR didn't help anything; and said the fact that The Offspring got huge as soon as BR left Epitaph was the dictionary definition of "Ironic". Jay: "I won't say that because BR left it allowed The Offspring to take off, because that's taking responsibility for something way beyond something that I ever would".

After some ignorant bastard from the NME published that BR were such a rip-off of The Offspring that they deserved to be sued by them, Bobby and Jay were asked what bands have influenced BR: "The Offspring... we saw them live in 1980 and totally ripped them off, we stole all their stuff".

Brett said he loved Smash and that "it was a very good record". Yet one week after the release of Ixnay on the Hombre (not on Epitaph), Brett said it was "uninspired derivative pablum" and asked "you guys actually like that crap?". Then he added "on a serious note, there's really nothing original on the new offspring record. One song sounds like Jane's Addiction, one Bon Jovi, one Blind Melon, one Bad Religion. They've become an unimaginative copycat band...".

This is what they said when they left Epitaph

Brett: "Offspring stabbed me in the back and there's no two ways of looking at it".
In an interview with Brett, the interviewer said something like "but you have to admit that All I Want kicks ass" and Brett went like "yeah, it's a good Bad Religion song".

I like both bands, Im just posting this cause I find it intresting. Some people will think this is old news, I think.

JohnnyNemesis
05-10-2006, 10:16 PM
There's been bad blood between the two bands for almost ten years now. It's definitely old news, and has been discussed several times.

As far as my opinion goes: Brett Gurewitz is such a dick, and I can't stand the hypocritical piece of shit.

Ultima94
05-10-2006, 10:18 PM
As far as my opinion goes: Brett Gurewitz is such a dick, and I can't stand the hypocritical piece of shit.

Lol. That made me laugh for some reason.

StayInTheHouseCarl
05-10-2006, 11:03 PM
and while we are talking about breaking news:
Green Day and Offspring dont get along

OH no!

Piedude
05-11-2006, 01:37 AM
Brett: "Offspring stabbed me in the back and there's no two ways of looking at it".
In an interview with Brett, the interviewer said something like "but you have to admit that All I Want kicks ass" and Brett went like "yeah, it's a good Bad Religion song".

Didnt Dexter say on the DVD commentary of the music vids collection that they wrote All I Want for Bad Religion?

Hypodermic_89
05-11-2006, 06:53 AM

Didnt Dexter say on the DVD commentary of the music vids collection that they wrote All I Want for Bad Religion?
Yep. It was called "Protocol", and Brett rejected it. So it's an Offspring song. Brett is a pile of dogvomit mixed with human shit.

Swill
05-11-2006, 07:03 AM
Fuck Bad religion..........cant believe there judging the success of the offspring on an 'ironic' incident. Smash and its music does the talking....the offspring selling millions and becoming one of the biggest punk bands in the world is no accident. I detect a stench of jealousy from those bad religious boys.................
________
Fix Ps3 (http://fixps3.info/)

DeAtHsTaR
05-11-2006, 07:20 AM
More correctly, Brett hates them. And what song sounds like Blind Melon? I Choose? Surprised how he didn't say Amazed sounds like Nirvana...

ShutUpYouFuckingMime
05-11-2006, 07:36 AM
Yeah, I didn't think it was the whole band. I thought it was only Brett. Meh. Either way, I don't care. I love both bands.

Marco
05-11-2006, 07:58 AM
Yep. It was called "Protocol", and Brett rejected it. So it's an Offspring song. Brett is a pile of dogvomit mixed with human shit.
YES!!!!!!!

Little_Miss_1565
05-11-2006, 08:28 AM
Yeah, it's pretty much old news. But wasn't Brett back on heroin then, which led to him leaving BR not long after Offspring left Epitaph? Now that they've patched things up in BR, maybe someday they'll patch things up with the Offspring. Or not.

offspring_freak_3
05-11-2006, 08:41 AM
it was a parody, correct me if im wrong

mrconeman
05-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Any time I read more into this it just pisses me off even more. It's so frustrating that when knowing the entire story (I'm trying not to be biased here) that Offspring were clearly the band in the right, and that Brett is a backstabbing fucktard.
Yet the BR camp are the ones going on the smearing campaign, and Offspring are being recluses about it. I understand why I mean, I guess they know better than to get into petty media arguments that would have been blown out of preportion.

But the only thing I ever hear of them talking about it was Dexters big E-mail he sent to the fans, Which, obviously is only going to the fans, but anyone can read the BR output, Making the whole thing seem so fucking one sided.
Bastards.

it was a parody, correct me if im wrong
Not quite a parody. But it was done in Jest. They were having a "who can write a bad religion song" compition with a few other bands I think (My memory is a bit shoddy) and they wrote All I want, with different lyrics, after Bad Religion werent interested in using the song, Dexter wrote his own lyrics and used it as an Offspring song.

Emily_offspring_fan
05-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Any time I read more into this it just pisses me off even more. It's so frustrating that when knowing the entire story (I'm trying not to be biased here) that Offspring were clearly the band in the right, and that Brett is a backstabbing fucktard.
he's a fucktard, he's a cynical, I can't believe he had said that things.

Rutegard
05-11-2006, 01:27 PM

AHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHH

rlplaymaker
05-11-2006, 02:37 PM
youre backs to the wall protocol
its sesquestering your spirit
misleading us all

wow, im glad dexter changed those lyrics

bretts a bitch

noodle654
05-11-2006, 03:07 PM
I love Bad Religion, I have seen them live, and I always wanted to see these 2 amazing bands get along and do a show together. Doesnt look like that will be happening :(.

noodle654
05-11-2006, 03:18 PM
How does All I Want sound like Bad Religion???

Llamas
05-11-2006, 05:22 PM
a lot of bands don't like offspring. a lot of them I like a lot, and would love to see tour together (particularly bad religion and green day).

I really like BR, and I think greg gaffin is a good guy. brett's a dick, and it's too bad he's associated with BR.

Drum Goddess
05-12-2006, 04:29 AM
Brett's just being gay like always. He says that they stabbed him in the back, please, he tried to sell them without their knowledge. He's the backstabber.

Lars
05-12-2006, 05:29 AM
This shit is 10 years old, don't take it quite as it is anymore. Wasn't there some thing a few years back where it was kind of patched up?

I'm also pretty sure BR and Offspring have played at at least one festival, if not more together since then.

Mr. Noodles
05-12-2006, 08:33 AM
a lot of bands don't like offspring. a lot of them I like a lot, and would love to see tour together (particularly bad religion and green day).

I really like BR, and I think greg gaffin is a good guy. brett's a dick, and it's too bad he's associated with BR.
Yeah, Greg's actually pretty nice. At the concert I went to, he gave someone a free t-shirt, by throwing it at him. The guy was on the balcony and he was screaming "hey, up here!" and waving his arms.

I don't know
05-12-2006, 11:18 AM
I thought they just didn't get along with brett

bouncingcoles
05-12-2006, 01:53 PM
god....too much drama. i really dont care what they have to say about each other. i like both bands a lot. thanks for posting that though.

bouncingcoles
05-12-2006, 01:53 PM
This shit is 10 years old, don't take it quite as it is anymore. Wasn't there some thing a few years back where it was kind of patched up?

I'm also pretty sure BR and Offspring have played at at least one festival, if not more together since then.

ya they have probobly played a few

F@ BANKZ
05-12-2006, 02:26 PM
I don't seem to care what anyone says about The Offspring anymore, if it's not nice, because i'm always sure they will be envyous for some reason. Or the person is just retarded.

Emily_offspring_fan
05-12-2006, 02:58 PM
I don't seem to care what anyone says about The Offspring anymore, if it's not nice, because i'm always sure they will be envyous for some reason. Or the person is just retarded.
Ha, I don't seem to care about anyone who say something against The Offspring. I think I'm too obsessed to think "it could have happened".

Jack the Tripper
05-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Bad Religon's music is just a bunch of random sounds and lyrics that somehow become hits, where The Offspring acually make really good songs. Plus, unlike that fag from Bad Religion, Dexter Holland can acually sing. That guy from Bad Reliogion just mumbles and screams all his songs.

Embodude2004
05-12-2006, 08:20 PM
i don't really like bad religion, i don't have anything against them but i never liked them.

Llamas
05-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Bad Religon's music is just a bunch of random sounds and lyrics that somehow become hits, where The Offspring acually make really good songs. Plus, unlike that fag from Bad Religion, Dexter Holland can acually sing. That guy from Bad Reliogion just mumbles and screams all his songs.

what the fuck? It's alright if you don't like BR. It's an opinion. However, BR's music sounds very similar to the offspring's... there are certainly differences, but BR's music is no more "random" than the offspring's. I definitely like the offspring way more than BR, but come on. Also, greg has a great voice. It's great in a completely different way than dexter's. greg doesn't mumble or scream... are you talking about the same band? if anything, dexter screams his songs more than greg does...

noodle654
05-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Dexter has a much higher voice, BR doesnt (they sound like church). All the guitar is the same, well both bands use PC so I dont blame them. They just need to leave it alone and become friends again.

Little_Miss_1565
05-12-2006, 09:23 PM

Quoted for the people who didn't read it the first time around (and the few times before that it was said).

Jakebert
05-12-2006, 09:30 PM

Bad Religion has never really had a huge "hit".
Bad Religion has better lyrics than the Offspring, or any punk band, hands down.
Greg is incredible at vocal harmonies and has a really good, signature voice. I've never heard him mumble or scream on a song.

Llamas
05-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Quoted for the people who didn't read it the first time around (and the few times before that it was said).

I personally realize this is an old piece of news, but it's something I'd never heard before, so I think it's nice to discuss stuff even if it's old. It's like talking about the s/t album... it's old, but does that mean we shouldn't discuss it?

I don't know
05-12-2006, 09:59 PM
although br said all those bad things about the offspring I've never seen offspring saying bad things about bad religion on interviews. actually I've already seen an interview that noodles said that bad religion does great politics lyrics

Llamas
05-12-2006, 11:07 PM
I think that goes to show that the offspring are good guys. I never hear them talk shit about other people. guy cohen was a dick to them, and they still interviewed him for their dvd. ron dipped out on them mid-album, and they don't bash him (like A LOT of bands do... for instance third eye blind). They don't bitch out green day (I think the only reason people know the bands don't get along is cause green day used to talk shit about the offspring), they don't bitch out bad religion... they also don't bitch out our govt, but they still let their opinions be known. (we get the point without making an "american idiot")

Little_Miss_1565
05-12-2006, 11:09 PM
I personally realize this is an old piece of news, but it's something I'd never heard before, so I think it's nice to discuss stuff even if it's old. It's like talking about the s/t album... it's old, but does that mean we shouldn't discuss it?

No no, I wasn't referring to you and what you've said of the comments, but rather those who get up in arms and "Brett sux" about it like it just happened.

notoriousdoc
05-13-2006, 12:47 AM
I personally can't stand Bad Religion, and from what I've heard, Brett's a dick.

offspring fan
05-13-2006, 01:24 AM
They don't bitch out green day (I think the only reason people know the bands don't get along is cause green day used to talk shit about the offspring),
thay did make fun of the song basket case back in 94/95.

Llamas
05-13-2006, 03:11 AM
true but that was pretty minor, and not blatant. it wasn't mean, either. just kind of rude. also, it was only to their fans, not the mass public.

Llamas
05-13-2006, 03:12 AM
No no, I wasn't referring to you and what you've said of the comments, but rather those who get up in arms and "Brett sux" about it like it just happened.

ooooohhh I get your point :) whatever, I still hates youuuuu.

Little_Miss_1565
05-13-2006, 07:53 AM
ooooohhh I get your point :) whatever, I still hates youuuuu.

Yeah yeah, join the club and get in line.

Cerberus
05-13-2006, 02:47 PM
I think that goes to show that the offspring are good guys. I never hear them talk shit about other people. guy cohen was a dick to them, and they still interviewed him for their dvd. ron dipped out on them mid-album, and they don't bash him (like A LOT of bands do... for instance third eye blind). They don't bitch out green day (I think the only reason people know the bands don't get along is cause green day used to talk shit about the offspring), they don't bitch out bad religion... they also don't bitch out our govt, but they still let their opinions be known. (we get the point without making an "american idiot")

Ok let`s update this dirt section. What has Guy Cohen done to offend the offspring? When did Green Day talked shit about the offspring? I know the feud between the offspring & BR, but I saw an interview from 1999 where Dexter and Noodles said that all is ok between them and Noodles even had a diner with Brett "the asshole" Gurewitz and there was no problems. So I wan`t information, information about these things.

Llamas
05-13-2006, 03:08 PM
guy cohen: he ditched out mid-tour to go work on "more important" things (when he's still nobody). he basically told people he was more famous than the offspring.

green day: the offspring asked green day to tour with them, and green day declined. billie said in an interview once that green day started punk rock back up and the offspring followed. etc, etc.

offspring fan
05-13-2006, 03:13 PM
green day: the offspring asked green day to tour with them, and green day declined. billie said in an interview once that green day started punk rock back up and the offspring followed. etc, etc.
hahahaha billie joe is so stupid. nirvana started punk rock back up. how dumb can that man relly be.

Little_Miss_1565
05-13-2006, 04:07 PM
hahahaha billie joe is so stupid. nirvana started punk rock back up. how dumb can that man relly be.

Nirvana wasn't punk.

Emily_offspring_fan
05-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Nirvana is punk rock???!!!!! :confused:

Mr. Noodles
05-13-2006, 05:41 PM
Nirvana is punk rock???!!!!! :confused:
Look at the post before yours. They're not. They're grunge.
And somewhere I heard that Bad Religion's album "Suffer" is what started punk rock back up.

Little_Miss_1565
05-13-2006, 06:32 PM
Just a pre-emptive note that posts debating a) who started punk back up and/or b) whether or not punk started back up will be deleted. Carry on.

offspringis the best band
05-13-2006, 08:00 PM
Just a pre-emptive note that posts debating a) who started punk back up and/or b) whether or not punk started back up will be deleted. Carry on.

Yeah.

'Cause everybody knows it was Lou Reed.

DeAtHsTaR
05-13-2006, 08:29 PM
thay did make fun of the song basket case back in 94/95.
Make fun of it?

Since when is covering equal to "making fun of."

Llamas
05-13-2006, 11:43 PM
well... actually it was making fun of it. Dexter didn't play the whole thing, and the entire band didn't play. They just started the beginning, and if you notice, Dexter started singing in a really whiney voice... it was definitely more parodying than covering...

Ultima94
05-14-2006, 06:50 AM
grunge is a cind of punk. and thay say on the nevermind documantary that it was nirvana that started up the punk rock again with the grunge music.

Grunge is basically a mix between metal and punk.

PS: Don't forget to check your spelling and grammar.

offspring fan
05-14-2006, 06:59 AM
Grunge is basically a mix between metal and punk.

PS: Don't forget to check your spelling and grammar.
yeah i know i cant spell........

Ultima94
05-14-2006, 07:01 AM
yeah i know i cant spell........

You also can't use correct grammar, clearly......

Emily_offspring_fan
05-14-2006, 07:46 AM
You also can't use correct grammar, clearly......
You can't blame a person for havin bad grammar. Mine sucks, too. Maybe English isn't his first language.

Ultima94
05-14-2006, 07:55 AM
You can't blame a person for havin bad grammar. Mine sucks, too. Maybe English isn't his first language.

English isn't my first language, German is.

Marco
05-14-2006, 09:07 AM

I like both bands, Im just posting this cause I find it intresting. Some people will think this is old news, I think.

I like Bad Religion, but who cares what they say????
Personally I think the Offspring shouldn't give a damn about it.....it's not a rule to be friends with all the bands in the world!!!!!!!

Nood!es
05-14-2006, 02:37 PM
What are some good Bad Religion songs? I kinda wanna get into them now.

Mr. Noodles
05-14-2006, 02:40 PM
What are some good Bad Religion songs? I kinda wanna get into them now.
Infected, American Jesus, Punk Rock Song, I Want To Conquer the World, You, Los Angeles is Burning, Sinister Rouge, Let Them Eat War, Faith Alone, Ten in 2010. Download those songs.

Nood!es
05-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Thanks man. Their pretty good.

Llamas
05-14-2006, 03:10 PM
Infected, American Jesus, Punk Rock Song, I Want To Conquer the World, You, Los Angeles is Burning, Sinister Rouge, Let Them Eat War, Faith Alone, Ten in 2010. Download those songs.

Infected is my favorite BR song. I agree with "I wanna conquer the world", "Punk rock song" (german version is great :P), and "You"... but I also think "generator" and "21st century digital boy" are requirements :)

Mr. Noodles
05-14-2006, 03:11 PM
Infected is my favorite BR song. I agree with "I wanna conquer the world", "Punk rock song" (german version is great :P), and "You"... but I also think "generator" and "21st century digital boy" are requirements :)
Crap, how could I forget 21stCDB? I listen to that song, over, over, and over!

Llamas
05-14-2006, 03:16 PM
haha ;) that song is amazing. "stranger than fiction" is their best album, IMO.

Mr. Noodles
05-14-2006, 03:17 PM
haha ;) that song is amazing. "stranger than fiction" is their best album, IMO.
What songs have you covered recently? I'd like to hear you cover Pay The Man. I think that would be interesting and cool.

jacknife737
05-14-2006, 03:45 PM
Infected is my favorite BR song.

infected is the best.

rocketman
05-14-2006, 04:10 PM
I personally think that Stranger Than Fiction is one of their worst albums...I don't know, but I just don't like it. I like Against the Grain and No Control the best.

Ultima94
05-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Generator, The Gray Race, and Stranger than Fiction are favorites.

Little_Miss_1565
05-14-2006, 06:47 PM
*coughs, points* ---> http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23407&highlight=religion

PXi
05-15-2006, 09:10 AM
i know this is old news now but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_I_Want_(Offspring_song)

just to clarify

gothamskater
05-15-2006, 10:37 AM

WHY ARE YOU IN THIS IF YOU DONT LIKE THEM :mad:

Mr. Noodles
05-15-2006, 10:39 AM
i know this is old news now but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_I_Want_(Offspring_song)

just to clarify
Actually..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_I_Want_%28Offspring_song%29

PXi
05-15-2006, 12:20 PM
ok, that's the page i got when i copied and pasted the link, oh well, that's what i meant

Ultima94
05-16-2006, 08:10 PM
WHY ARE YOU IN THIS IF YOU DONT LIKE THEM :mad:

What the fuck?

Mr. Noodles
05-16-2006, 08:15 PM
What the fuck?
I'm just as confused as you.

Ultima94
05-18-2006, 04:24 AM
I'm just as confused as you.

Thats his first post. LOL.

DeAtHsTaR
08-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Jane's Addiction, one Bon Jovi, one Blind Melon, one Bad Religion.
Me and My Old Lady, Gone Away, and All I want, but what would sound liek Blind Melon? I Choose is the only thing close, and it's not that simialr.

KickedDown
08-28-2006, 04:48 PM
In reference to the comment made a while back about Nirvana restarting punk: You dumbass - Pink Floyd's "Division Bell" from 94 restarted punk... dumbass.

Also, I'd like to state for the record (in my opinion) why bands like Green Day hate the Offspring. Green Day had one good CD: Dookie. Everything after that was absolute fucking garbage. They were probably just jealous 'cause the Offspring stayed popular and successfull while they wallowed in total shit.

Which also explains Green Day's sudden reappearance as an Emo/Punk/Modern Rock/Political band. But it's all total bullshit... just something to sell more albums...

Case In Point: No real rock band has their posters for sale in Wal*Mart next to the "Puppies in Wide Angle Lens" posters and Orlando Bloom from "Pirates of The Carribean" posters - fuck Green Day

lost_nvrfound
08-28-2006, 07:18 PM
guy cohen: he ditched out mid-tour to go work on "more important" things (when he's still nobody). he basically told people he was more famous than the offspring.

Guy Cohen was homesick and just wanted to go home... him saying he was more famous than them was just silly and he felt kinda dumb about sayin it. they don't hold it against him and as far as i can tell, weren't terribly cheesed off about it in the first place

if they got pissed everytime some other band expressed their dislike for them, they'd have no time for anything else. The offspring only appeals to certain tastes... not everyone has those tastes and they understand that.

and finally, greendays best albums were post-dookie. American Idiot was terrible, But Nimrod and Warning are my 2 favorite albums by them because they were so different and really opened up a new realm of possibilities. there doesn't seem to be any real animosity betwwen the two bands. just a bit of competativeness

randman21
08-29-2006, 11:11 AM
I notice how, to people who don't know the whole story, Brett seems like the victim, and he plays into that very well.

The Search Button
11-03-2008, 01:31 AM
What are you people talking about. Bad Religion loves us. Here's Greg Gaffin almost singing an Offspring song:

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=HiXKd6NDg8I

Rutegard
11-03-2008, 01:42 AM
What are you people talking about. Bad Religion loves us. Here's Greg Gaffin almost singing an Offspring song:

that guy SUCKS, i'm glad i wasn't there!!

count to 5?? HAHAHAHAH or count to 6? LOL

damn, how can someone be so ridiculous?!?WOW

randman21
11-03-2008, 02:27 AM
I'm guessing that song is from around '98, right? Oh, and I think that these bands have since made up.

More like "What were you people talking about two years ago," amirite!

We will not burden you by playing the most popular song in America right nowThat's because the number one song isn't urs, amirite!

dff_punk
11-03-2008, 03:25 AM
Hey, I still love both bands. Some of you guys are so close-minded :p

findout5
11-03-2008, 04:12 AM
When The Offspring took off, there was a bit of jealousy from bands that were doing it longer than they were (BR, NOFX, Pennywise), but some were supportive (Rancid). It's natural human nature. Besides Graffin is pretty fly...for a bald guy! :)

Now everything is cool amongst the bands...it's all bromantic!

findout5
11-03-2008, 04:15 AM
Me and My Old Lady, Gone Away, and All I want, but what would sound liek Blind Melon? I Choose is the only thing close, and it's not that simialr.

I Choose rips off Jane's Addiction (Been Caught Stealing) and Boston (More than a feeling) and Me and My Old Lady Rips off Jane's too (Had a Dad). Not a total rip off...just some aural influency! Get those songs and hear it yourselfes :P

Grimesy da Offspringfan
11-03-2008, 05:44 AM
I love both bands, i'm like #1 Offspring (#2 Metallica) #3 Bad Religion. But Brett is a dick. "It's a good Bad Religion song"?! Fuck off...Being a dumb Metfan as i am, i can say it's something like Mustaine ripping on Metallica all the time. They never say anything bad about him, they respect him and Megadeth, but he just can't stop being dick to them.

Little_Miss_1565
11-03-2008, 06:44 AM
Any kind of feud is old old news, so let's not react to it like it's brand new. And because it's such old news, it's really not so sharp and ugly anymore so let's let it die.

Gustavo
11-03-2008, 09:28 AM

Well, for me it's kinda old news. I remeber reading something about the South American Tour in 99.
On their way to São Paulo or Buenos Aires, someone from The Offspring knew that The Offspring didn't want to play with them or something...

brothadave79
11-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Well, for me it's kinda old news. I remeber reading something about the South American Tour in 99.
On their way to São Paulo or Buenos Aires, someone from The Offspring knew that The Offspring didn't want to play with them or something...

And nine years later they both played at KROQ's Weenie Roast.

offs55
11-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Watch the graetest hits DVD, and you will understand why brett said that All I want is a good BR song

Greg Graffin was joking, look this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMJJdFYJMRA

and I think Bad Religion is very important to punk rock
1-Ramones
2-Bad Religion and NOFX
3-The rest

cool 2 hate 681
11-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Watch the graetest hits DVD, and you will understand why brett said that All I want is a good BR song

Greg Graffin was joking, look this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMJJdFYJMRA

1-Ramones
2-Bad Religion and NOFX
3-The rest

i uploaded that video lol but to the thread maker why bring up news from the mid 90s in 2008 there is no grudge

lol @ when bret said it's kinda like a homecoming for us pennywise and the offspring are on the show but then again we never signed metallica

killboybowerhead
11-03-2008, 03:01 PM
never liked bad religion. Some songs are good. Just really did not like that bands vibe. Just always seemed really hateful. I went through a phase and bought all their records like 8 years ago. Definitely sold most of them by now. Suffer was solid though.

cool 2 hate 681
11-03-2008, 07:50 PM
And nine years later they both played at KROQ's Weenie Roast.

they also played together at kroq inland invasion in 2002

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KROQ_LA_Invasion

iPunk247
11-07-2008, 06:30 PM
what the hell. why do bands hate on other bands? like playing a versus game! :mad: erugh :mad:

which is more popular. which is more prettier. which is more profitable. :mad: erugh :mad:

JeromeFleur
11-08-2008, 06:30 AM
I just have one thing to say...

« If the kids... were united... they would never... be divided ! » - Sham 69

Uhh, actually two things :

« If god came down on Christmas day, I know exactly what he'd say. He'd say... OI ! to the punks ! and OI ! to the skins ! But OI to the world and everybody wins ! » - No Doubt / The Vandals

Rutegard
11-08-2008, 07:29 AM
I just have one thing to say...

« If the kids... were united... they would never... be divided ! » - Sham 69

Uhh, actually two things :

« If god came down on Christmas day, I know exactly what he'd say. He'd say... OI ! to the punks ! and OI ! to the skins ! But OI to the world and everybody wins ! » - No Doubt / The Vandals

those songs remind me of 3 great bands, no doubt, vandals, and rancid :)

renato piquette
11-08-2008, 03:01 PM

1-Ramones
2-Bad Religion and NOFX
3-The rest

dude,you´re missing the Pistols and Patti Smith

Hombre
11-09-2008, 04:54 AM
Pistols sucks!This band is the most overrated band in the whole world!Dead Kennedys rules!

Budzy
11-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Sort of a shame that the two bands don't get along. I've just started getting into Bad Religion, I've got about 25 songs of theirs and am about to buy a few of their albums next time I go to JB HI-FI because I really like their stuff.
I hope they can get together and play a Bad Religion then close with The Offspring concert one of these days, would be a dream come true :).

_Lost_
11-10-2008, 12:13 AM
i don't get why this thread was bumped... :confused:

cool 2 hate 681
11-10-2008, 12:18 AM
i don't get why this thread was bumped... :confused:

i don't get why it was made gurewitz said that stuff in 1995 when he was not in bad religion

_Lost_
11-10-2008, 12:39 AM
I don't see that anywhere.

cool 2 hate 681
11-10-2008, 01:06 AM
ok i know why this thread was made the bad religion fan page re did the website http://www.thebrpage.net/theanswer/search.asp?search=offspring

and while we are talking about breaking news:
Green Day and Offspring dont get along

OH no!

you see this is why we need a official bad religion thread in the other bands section:D

RageAndLov
11-10-2008, 01:29 AM
I thought they just didn't get along with brett

originally, but the rest of the members of BR are of course backing brett, than some other band.

RageAndLov
11-10-2008, 01:35 AM

maybe hard for you to find, but do you have any sources?

cool 2 hate 681
11-17-2008, 11:57 PM
i found a letter from bad religion singer greg graffin about the brazil show from 1999

"I am sorry to report that we will only be playing one show in South America this time, and that is the show in Sao Paulo. This is due to the fact that the Offspring don't want us on the bill for their shows in Curitiba or Rio. In fairness, it is their show in those two towns and they have a right to decide who their opening band should be. The show in S.P. is a festival and the promoter decided that Bad Religion was a good addition to the show. I am sure that the Offspring and the promoter got mixed up in their conversations about adding us to the shows in Curitiba and Rio. It is a shame that we are caught in the middle of this mis-communication, but nonetheless, we are looking forward to playing our show in S.P. We are sorry to our fans in Rio and Curitiba who can't make it, but we will be back sometime in the next year. Sincerely, Greg Graffin".

renato piquette
11-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Pistols sucks!This band is the most overrated band in the whole world!Dead Kennedys rules!

overrated??a band that challenged their entire country??a band that was whole revolution?they even got banned from playing and you say they are overrated??

Budzy
11-18-2008, 02:12 PM
overrated??a band that challenged their entire country??a band that was whole revolution?they even got banned from playing and you say they are overrated??

Yeah, I know they're like the founders of Punk (god bless em) but they're music really does sound like shit. Just my 'opinion'.

Ninty Man
11-18-2008, 03:45 PM

You don't know what a revolution is, don't you? Bah, fuck pistols, they didn't challenge anything, they were for the money

_Lost_
11-18-2008, 07:41 PM
they were for the money

EXACTLY! The pistols weren't worth shit. Johnny Rotten has said himself that thats exactly what they want. (granted it wasn't really a profitable undertaking then, but now he makes use of his name in any way he can to make a little extra dough.) They were nothing but losers who couldn't play their instruments and Johnny Rotten sings worse than Anditko. They only have the reputation that they do because Sid Vicious was really great at making an ass out of himself on stage(and he didn't play with them very long anyway). They weren't wanted in their own country and their attempted tour here was such a miserable failure that they gave it up a few shows in. FUCK the sex pistols.

And if you want to talk about founding the punk sound, take a listen to some New York Dolls. They came before all of those other bands. And the Ramones have credits before the sex pistols. fuck!

:p

KrispyNotKrunchy
11-18-2008, 08:06 PM
I like some Bad Religion songs, like Los Angeles is Burning, You, Infected, Lose as Directed, Mediocre Minds... New Maps of Hell is terrible aweful.

I also like some Green Day songs, Castaway, American Idiot, Longview, Warning

The thing is, Bad Religion, Green Day, and The Offspring each have their own distinct sounds and their own "way". Bad Religion AND Green Day's voices get annoying very quickly while I could listen to all 100+ Offspring songs in a row and be perfectly happy.

It seems to me that Brett is a dick, but Billie Jo and Dexter are both nice guys. Green Day and Offspring don't get along, but only (IMO) because they compete for the same fans and the same recognition. It makes just as much sense as Bill Gates and Steve Jobs - so what if they got along once upon a time - so what if they do the same thing - they are always trying to one-up the other.

Budzy
11-18-2008, 08:28 PM
I'm not big on Greenday, and I've only got into Bad Religion in the past 2 months or so, but Bad Religion kicks ass. New Dark Ages is an amazing song, and I don't mind Heroes And Martyrs and Grains Of Wrath (i think it is) so I'll probably buy the new album New Maps Of Hell.
My favorite are Infected, New Dark Ages, Sorrow, Shades Of Truth, A Street Kid Named Desire(?), Don't sell me short and Broken, all are amazing songs.
Greenday i only listen to when I feel like listening to Happy 'Bouncy' songs, because no matter how hard they try I think all of their songs have a fun vibe about it. Where as Bad Religion's songs are a bit more deep and depressing.
And Offspring is a perfect combination :D

NGNM85
11-18-2008, 08:32 PM
EXACTLY! The pistols weren't worth shit. Johnny Rotten has said himself that thats exactly what they want. (granted it wasn't really a profitable undertaking then, but now he makes use of his name in any way he can to make a little extra dough.) They were nothing but losers who couldn't play their instruments and Johnny Rotten sings worse than Anditko. They only have the reputation that they do because Sid Vicious was really great at making an ass out of himself on stage(and he didn't play with them very long anyway). They weren't wanted in their own country and their attempted tour here was such a miserable failure that they gave it up a few shows in. FUCK the sex pistols.

You should read Jon Savage's "England's Dreaming." It would clear up a lot of these misconceptions, not to mention it's the best analysis of the punk movement from inception to modern day ever written. Johnny Rotten has said he wants to make money, the Sex Pistols changed world music and culture, especially rock 'n roll, thats' pretty understandable, especially because they're manager robbed them blind. You seem to have missed the point., however. The lack of musical virtuosity (And the New York Dolls and the Ramones weren't much better.) was deliberately emphasized as a reaction against the stadium rock/progressive rock at the time, 20-minute solos or whatever. They wantede to be the opposite of the Who or the Bay City Rollers. It was about bringing rock 'n roll back to it's roots, 3 chords and an attitude. The Sex Pistols have the reputation and the respect that they do because they were just so overwhelmingly influential, we wouldn't have the Offspring without them. They created the British punk movement, which in turn inspired the second generation of American punk, bands like the Germs, the Avengers, X, Black Flag, etc., this is the scene that the Offspring ultimately came out of. I don't think you appreciate the cultural impact. The Sex Pistols were almost tried for TREASON, which is a death penalty offense, thats' pretty hardcore. The band fell apart because no radio stations would play them, no record company would take them except for Virgin at the very end. The biggest part, however was Malcolom McLaren, who stole all the money, cancelled gigs, etc. He deliberately arranged the Sex Pistols tour in the south (When they should've played New York and LA.) because he knew they would be hated there and he was more interested in creating chaos than managing the band. Sid did very little for the band, except look cool, but then he fell into heroin and started to look like crap. His best acheivement; "My Way" was recorded AFTER the split in Winterland, 1978. I don't care if you like them or not, but you have to acknowledge they're one of the most influential bands in the history of rock.

And if you want to talk about founding the punk sound, take a listen to some New York Dolls. They came before all of those other bands. And the Ramones have credits before the sex pistols. fuck!

The Sex Pistols didn't INVENT punk, they CODIFIED it. Just like Robert Johnson with the delta blues. In America you had Iggy Pop and the Ramones and the Runaways and Blondie, etc., but you also had stuff like Television and the Velvet Underground. There was a very small musical movement in New York and LA, it was even called "punk", but nobody really knew what punk was. There was no manifesto, no cohesion. The Sex Pistols came from the same source and distilled them into a pure form. Suddenly, everybody knew what punk rock was and what it stood for. The Pistols may not have created punk, but punk as we know it, including the Offspring, wouldn't exist without them.

_Lost_
11-19-2008, 07:40 AM
I think you take it all waaay to seriously. And Johnny Rotten still maintains that Sid Vicious never recorded with them for a final track because Sid was such a drugged up douche. People make them into being a way bigger deal than they really are. They may have put punk rock on the map, but they destroyed the image that early bands had built. Before they made a name for themselves, punk was NOT about puking on stage, drugs, and fights mid-show (thank you Sid). They are a skid mark on the underpants of the music world.

Final thoughts on the Sex Pistols:

If I hear another American say "God save the queen", I'm gonna flip. You're not British! You've never been under her rule! 99% of you don't know shit about the British government! STFU!

Ninty Man
11-19-2008, 07:46 AM
I... New Maps of Hell is terrible aweful.

Are you on crack????

AH: The Ramones made the punk sound, not pistols in any case.

jacknife737
11-19-2008, 07:50 AM
This is General Offspring Discussion, just thought i'd let you know.

_Lost_
11-19-2008, 07:54 AM
This is General Offspring Discussion, just thought i'd let you know.

SHUT UP YOUR FACE! GAHH!

Umm yeah. Bad Religion is just jealous of the Offspring... ftw!

clocks_R_slow
11-19-2008, 08:09 AM
i will never get sick of this feud... its always fun to read what they have to say about eachother and just LAUGH :D

cool 2 hate 681
11-19-2008, 03:45 PM
i want to see a documentary about the offspring bad religion feud

it would be better then punks not dead:p

NGNM85
11-19-2008, 11:16 PM
I think you take it all waaay to seriously. And Johnny Rotten still maintains that Sid Vicious never recorded with them for a final track because Sid was such a drugged up douche.

I take it VERY seriously, which is why I get irritated when I hear someone spouting half-truths and horseshit. Again, I highly recommend Savage's book. Anyhow...

"Douche" is a relatively subjective term, but yes, while he is listed as the bassist, none of his playing made it onto NMTB. I think he was hospitalized while they were doing the recording, in any case, he wasn't part of it, Steve did some of the bass parts, and it's rumored that producer Chris Thomas or even the original bassist Glen Matlock may have contributed as well.

People make them into being a way bigger deal than they really are.

That would be difficult, not only are they responsible for influencing every punk band that came after them, and all the related music hardcore, oi, 2nd and third-wave ska, goth, etc., ..but new wave, most 80's pop, and a large section of the rock, pop and metal that has been produced in the last thirty years or so.

They may have put punk rock on the map, but they destroyed the image that early bands had built. Before they made a name for themselves, punk was NOT about puking on stage, drugs, and fights mid-show (thank you Sid). They are a skid mark on the underpants of the music world.

The Sex Pistols did not puke on stage, although I think one of them did barf in an airport once. They were also not a "drug" band. That reputation is entirely due to Sid, the rest of the bands' indulgences wouldn't equal that of one week with Motley Crew. They also did not physically fight eachother during the shows, however they were occasionally accosted by a member of the audience. Johnny Rotten was stabbed with a machete by nationalists who didn't take kindly to anybody criticizing the monarchy, he still walks with a limp, on another occasion, for the same reason, he nearly had his eye gouged out with a broken bottle.

Final thoughts on the Sex Pistols:

If I hear another American say "God save the queen", I'm gonna flip. You're not British! You've never been under her rule! 99% of you don't know shit about the British government! STFU!

I think I know more about the British government than you, but I don't go around randomly spitting out song lyrics or affecting a phony accent.

Budzy
11-20-2008, 03:40 AM
I take it VERY seriously, which is why I get irritated when I hear someone spouting half-truths and horseshit. Again, I highly recommend Savage's book. Anyhow...

"Douche" is a relatively subjective term, but yes, while he is listed as the bassist, none of his playing made it onto NMTB. I think he was hospitalized while they were doing the recording, in any case, he wasn't part of it, Steve did some of the bass parts, and it's rumored that producer Chris Thomas or even the original bassist Glen Matlock may have contributed as well.

That would be difficult, not only are they responsible for influencing every punk band that came after them, and all the related music hardcore, oi, 2nd and third-wave ska, goth, etc., ..but new wave, most 80's pop, and a large section of the rock, pop and metal that has been produced in the last thirty years or so.

The Sex Pistols did not puke on stage, although I think one of them did barf in an airport once. They were also not a "drug" band. That reputation is entirely due to Sid, the rest of the bands' indulgences wouldn't equal that of one week with Motley Crew. They also did not physically fight eachother during the shows, however they were occasionally accosted by a member of the audience. Johnny Rotten was stabbed with a machete by nationalists who didn't take kindly to anybody criticizing the monarchy, he still walks with a limp, on another occasion, for the same reason, he nearly had his eye gouged out with a broken bottle.

I think I know more about the British government than you, but I don't go around randomly spitting out song lyrics or affecting a phony accent.

AND THAT IS HOW YOU LAY DOWN THE LAW! LOL

Douche is a relatively subjective term.
lol you douche.

Autonomist
11-20-2008, 04:08 AM

A band who made horrible music that noone in their right mind would still be listening to in 2008?

Yes, overrated.

Ninty Man
11-20-2008, 09:44 AM
A band who made horrible music that noone in their right mind would still be listening to in 2008?

Yes, overrated.

Thanx, deal over about pistols.

Will we ever see Graffin and Holland singing 21st century digital boy and come out and play on the same stage?

Hypno Toad
11-20-2008, 04:29 PM
PAY THE MAN!!!

Can anybody guess it?

renato piquette
11-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Thanx, deal over about pistols.

Will we ever see Graffin and Holland singing 21st century digital boy and come out and play on the same stage?

ja,nomás porque eres paisano,cabrón :)

_Lost_
11-20-2008, 05:12 PM

if i get the chance to scan it, i'll post the 1996 issue of guitar world that i have where in an interview with johnny rotten and steve jones, he says that they wouldn't allow sid to record anything for that album, except maybe some demo tracks that were then recorded over. And yes, as far as I've heard Chris Thomas did at least some of the tracks.

that was a reference to sid and his douche-baggery and fights with the audience. don't misconstrue what i said. One spectacle will out weigh everything else. Last year at the annual Halloween bash here, there were 12 arrests in a crowd of more than 60,000, but those fights/underage drinkers/whatever gave the whole event a bad name and they changed how the bash was run. Sid's behavior on stage WAS their image. Thats what people noticed. THATS what 80s punk rockers took away from that scene. They trashed the image and gave all punk rock a bad rep.

don't even go with that route here. you don't know what I know and I highly doubt that you are some british government officianado. Don't go making assumptions about what I do, what I know, what I study. I haven't done that with you. I get so sick of the newbies around here pulling that psuedo-intellectual know-it-all crap.

I know a hell of a lot more about that sex pistols than you could ever begin to imagine. I know a lot about the 70s/80s punk movements. More than I want to know. I don't spout shit about things I don't know, so dont even go there. Your post was mediocre at best, and i'm not impressed with your arguments.

You seem to have that "misunderstood punk rocker" syndrome. Go watch SLC Punk and make sure your safety pins are all straight.

renato piquette
11-20-2008, 05:22 PM
if i get the chance to scan it, i'll post the 1996 issue of guitar world that i have where in an interview with johnny rotten and steve jones, he says that they wouldn't allow sid to record anything for that album, except maybe some demo tracks that were then recorded over. And yes, as far as I've heard Chris Thomas did at least some of the tracks.

that was a reference to sid and his douche-baggery and fights with the audience. don't misconstrue what i said. One spectacle will out weigh everything else. Last year at the annual Halloween bash here, there were 12 arrests in a crowd of more than 60,000, but those fights/underage drinkers/whatever gave the whole event a bad name and they changed how the bash was run. Sid's behavior on stage WAS their image. Thats what people noticed. THATS what 80s punk rockers took away from that scene. They trashed the image and gave all punk rock a bad rep.

don't even go with that route here. you don't know what I know and I highly doubt that you are some british government officianado. Don't go making assumptions about what I do, what I know, what I study. I haven't done that with you. I get so sick of the newbies around here pulling that psuedo-intellectual know-it-all crap.

I know a hell of a lot more about that sex pistols than you could ever begin to imagine. I know a lot about the 70s/80s punk movements. More than I want to know. I don't spout shit about things I don't know, so dont even go there. Your post was mediocre at best, and i'm not impressed with your arguments.

You seem to have that "misunderstood punk rocker" syndrome. Go watch SLC Punk and make sure your safety pins are all straight.

stop all the fighting,we´re all a happy Offspring family :)

jacknife737
11-20-2008, 07:10 PM
This is General Offspring Discussion, just thought i'd let you know. 10 characters

_Lost_
11-20-2008, 07:41 PM
ok.

LYKE! ZOMGZ!!#45~!@$%413!! LYKE HOW CAN BAD RELIGION LYKE TOTALLY NOT LYKE THE OFFSPRING?!?!? Lyke, wut do tey hav against them?

renato piquette
11-20-2008, 08:26 PM
ok.

LYKE! ZOMGZ!!#45~!@$%413!! LYKE HOW CAN BAD RELIGION LYKE TOTALLY NOT LYKE THE OFFSPRING?!?!? Lyke, wut do tey hav against them?

AND HOW CAN YOU DISLIKE THE LOVELY SEX PISTOLS?? :p

_Lost_
11-20-2008, 08:43 PM
lets just say i have my reasons.

mainly that johnny rottens voice is so bone gratingly bad that i want shove things in my ears to make it stop. that and hes such a sell out. he'll tell you the same. well maybe not in those exact words... buuutt yeah

jacknife737
11-20-2008, 08:51 PM
AND HOW CAN YOU DISLIKE THE LOVELY SEX PISTOLS?? :p

I can assure you, there are lots of reasons. But i want to implore you guys, go bump an old Sex Pistols thread to continue this conversation. Keep this section relevant to the band.

_Lost_
11-20-2008, 09:09 PM
many apologies. i got carried away.

Budzy
11-20-2008, 09:15 PM
many apologies. i got carried away.

You are forgiven.

siidflltwyd
11-21-2008, 01:03 AM
dude, the offspring are way better than bad religion. when was the last time bad religion released an album anywhere CLOSE to americana? fucking never. they haven't even released albums close to any of the offspring's albums. as far as i'm concerned, and as far as popularity goes, i consider bad religion underground. the offspring made it mainstream, theyre just jealous assholes.