PDA

View Full Version : Maddox' book is #1 on Amazon

HornyPope
05-11-2006, 01:52 PM
It's kind of fascinating. He's been an icon for most of us and we all regulary read his site--with intervals of course. Now he's the first blogger propelled nto a world of print media and i'm happy for the response generated. Well, I suppose there are earlier examples like Kevin Mitnick but they are of an earlier generation (not necessarily age-wise) and aren't as relevant on world wide web.
CNN link (http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/books/05/10/badboy.books.ap/index.html).

CNN article is, of course, dumbned down and stupid so any idiot can relate but it marks a significant triumph of internet culture in the mainstream "real world", in addition to 2006 phenomenons like Snakes on a Plane. It's definatly somewhere I relate and I can't be anything but happy. Another significant person I would wish to publish his own work is Richard Lowtax of Somethingawful fame. I only hope this (book success) wouldn't invite too many copycats.

Nina
05-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Wait, he wrote a BOOK??
Holy.
Is he rich by now or something?

HornyPope
05-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Not yet. He's been selling merch for his site and no way has that brought in more than five figures last year.
With the book deal, however, he'll make a million or two. Definatly.

Betty
05-11-2006, 02:24 PM
I'm willing to bet there will be lots of copycats, unfortunately, or maybe fortunately in a few cases.

Lizardus
05-11-2006, 02:47 PM
That's fucking cool! I think he used to post here.
SOAP has been here since 2005 btw.

HornyPope
05-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Wow you're pretty fucking stupid.

Lizardus
05-11-2006, 03:00 PM
Yes i am. ...

H1T_That
05-11-2006, 04:15 PM
i fucking hate maddox!

the stuff he posted about how to hit your children, and how kids are pathetic for attempting to draw when they are retarded and stuff, is frankly fucking pathetic.

btw, any of you see the picture he posted of his car.....lmao!

Izie
05-11-2006, 04:16 PM
*shakes head*

I'll read the book if you get it :p

DeAtHsTaR
05-11-2006, 04:27 PM
i fucking hate maddox!

the stuff he posted about how to hit your children, and how kids are pathetic for attempting to draw when they are retarded and stuff, is frankly fucking pathetic.

btw, any of you see the picture he posted of his car.....lmao!
It's a joke, dummy.

H1T_That
05-11-2006, 04:38 PM
It's a joke, dummy.

yeah, i know...that's what makes it fucking disgusting.

Mota Boy
05-11-2006, 05:15 PM
You, sir, are a dumbass.

Endymion
05-11-2006, 05:29 PM
maddox isn't the first to sell bloggy stuff in book form. wil wheaton (of star trek tng fame) has had two books published now... if i recall correctly at least one of them sold fairly well. not #1 on amazon good, but... yeah.

XYlophonetreeZ
05-11-2006, 05:45 PM
I used to LIVE off of Maddox's site, but it's been awhile since he's really written anything good. In late '04, he wrote "If you work for Websense, you aren't reading this," which was my favorite Maddox work of all time, but from then on it's gone downhill. I dunno if I'll get the book or not.

The idea of a writer who started out as a blogger doing so well is pretty inspiring. Too inspiring, I fear. Before long, there are gonna be tons of exclusive 1337 blog domains that you need invitations to, and the publishers are only gonna pay attention to those.

DeAtHsTaR
05-11-2006, 06:43 PM
yeah, i know...that's what makes it fucking disgusting.
Would it be less disgusting if he were serious?

endlesst0m
05-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Aside from people who are offended by his work, I guarantee that anyone that has anything negative to say about Maddox is either A) Rebelling against something popular and successful for attention B) Jealous. Any website that becomes popular simply through word of mouth deserves respect.

Actually, I lied...one bad thing I could say about Maddox is that his latest entries haven't been quite as good, but he still rules, and that's why he's famous.

BREAK
05-11-2006, 07:09 PM
Aside from people who are offended by his work, I guarantee that anyone that has anything negative to say about Maddox is either A) Rebelling against something popular and successful for attention B) Jealous.

You forgot C) He sucks and isn't funny.

endlesst0m
05-11-2006, 07:15 PM
You forgot C) He sucks and isn't funny.

Fuck that.

Of course there's a few entries that aren't that great, but most of them are fuckin' priceless.

You can try to tell me that you don't think Maddox is funny if you want...nothing is stopping you. I won't believe you though.

How the hell would he get so popular if he weren't funny?

183567 BBS intellectuals got pissed of by my last few posts, because god knows they are EXACTLY the kind of people that would say they hate Maddox.

HornyPope
05-11-2006, 08:05 PM
maddox isn't the first to sell bloggy stuff in book form. wil wheaton (of star trek tng fame) has had two books published now... if i recall correctly at least one of them sold fairly well. not #1 on amazon good, but... yeah.

Wil Wheaton was a popular character before the world wide web. His blog was just a personal hobby. I've seen it plugged on fark often. But he hasn't become famous through a blog. Maddox did.

And concerning, Maddox, I think he's great. I like him. I just don't look up to him. I don't think he's extraordinary. I think he's in the same league as some of the forum members here. But he's great and doing a great job and people love it.

Endymion
05-11-2006, 08:55 PM
How the hell would he get so popular if he weren't funny?
so you're saying Friends was funny? and Everyone Loves Raymond? and Two and a Half Men?

endlesst0m
05-11-2006, 09:04 PM
so you're saying Friends was funny? and Everyone Loves Raymond? and Two and a Half Men?

All of those shows were at least a little funny, but they all were heavily advertised, unlike Maddox.

I will defend Maddox till the end. I knew when I typed all that shit that all someone had to do was maintain that they simply do not think Maddox is funny, and logically I would be wrong. But I still wrote it anway. Because I think most of those fucking people are lying about not liking him.

Endymion
05-11-2006, 09:09 PM
All of those shows were at least a little funny, but they all were heavily advertised, unlike Maddox.
no, they were not a little funny.

and i do like maddox, though i haven't read his page in a few years.

Vera
05-12-2006, 01:41 AM
I believe Cleolinda's Movies in 15 Minutes (check out m15m on livejournal) book was also #1 in Amazon.

wheelchairman
05-12-2006, 03:07 AM
Hahah, Will Wheaton is a loser.

arak0r
05-12-2006, 03:11 AM
i dont like maddox. simply because, imho he isnt original at all. people have been grouchy cunts for all eternity.

wheelchairman
05-12-2006, 03:31 AM
i dont like maddox. simply because, imho he isnt original at all. people have been grouchy cunts for all eternity.
Anything you like probably isn't very original. It doesn't have to be original. Fuck Joey.

arak0r
05-12-2006, 04:16 AM
Anything you like probably isn't very original. It doesn't have to be original. Fuck Joey.:rolleyes:

Way to Assume Champ!

it marks a significant triumph of internet culture in the mainstream "real world", in addition to 2006 phenomenons like Snakes on a Plane. It's definatly somewhere I relate and I can't be anything but happy. Another significant person I would wish to publish his own work is Richard Lowtax of Somethingawful fame. I only hope this (book success) wouldn't invite too many copycats.
i just dont have this enthusiasm about it. i personally believe that lowtax, and most of the people at SA are more humorous. most importantly, they do daily updates to the front page, and it isnt the same crap over and over again, which is pretty much what you get with maddox. he seems rather one dimensional. maybe the book would shed more light on him or whatever, but im not impressed enough with his "blog" to go out and read it.

wheelchairman
05-12-2006, 07:11 AM
:rolleyes:

Way to Assume Champ!

It's not an assumption, there isn't a thought in your head (or mine), that hasn't been thought a million other times by a million other people. What is great about Maddox is not his innovative artistic talent or some such elitist bullshit which you are pretending to want, it's the fact that SO MANY people can RELATE to him.

DeAtHsTaR
05-12-2006, 07:57 AM
Maddox was great, but Thilo (Ninjapirate) is better these days.

Isolated Fury
05-12-2006, 08:04 AM
Maddox was great, but Thilo (Ninjapirate) is better these days.
That's like saying "Yeah, Pokemon were cool, but Digimon is what's up these days."

HornyPope
05-12-2006, 09:01 AM
i just dont have this enthusiasm about it. i personally believe that lowtax, and most of the people at SA are more humorous. most importantly, they do daily updates to the front page, and it isnt the same crap over and over again, which is pretty much what you get with maddox. he seems rather one dimensional. maybe the book would shed more light on him or whatever, but im not impressed enough with his "blog" to go out and read it.

I think the SA crew, mostly Lowtax of course, are a world ahead of Maddox. There's no doubt about it. But it doesn't take anything from Maddox; he is an internet phenomenon and above all this is precisely what attracts me, not his witt. I don't think his book will be an instant classic or a nominee for nobel prize. But i'm excited to read it none the less.