PDA

View Full Version : Hospitals

offspringer24
05-12-2006, 06:34 AM
HEY, ive just been discharged from hospital after 2 nights there and wow how much does it suck, so depressing and so many moaning people! i hate hospitals. any other experiences share here
thanks

killer_queen
05-12-2006, 06:38 AM
I love hospitals. They are just like the train stations and airports. It's a great thing to feel other people's emotions easily.

Of course I'm not saying it's fun to see people who lose their mothers, fathers, children, wives, husbands and all. But there is just something really effects me about the waiting rooms in hospitals.

Andy
05-12-2006, 06:55 AM
Hospitals are great but for the patients.

JoY
05-12-2006, 07:06 AM
I've been hospitalised for a while, when I had mastoiditis. that's a bone in the head basically, behind your ear. they had to remove a part of it, because it got infected after an extreme mid ear infection.

I wasn't ever scared (though everyone else was) & except for some moments, I wasn't in too much pain. I wasn't alone much, but still I felt incredibly lonely, between those white walls with nurses & doctors, who were always constantly busy... doctors, but also nurses can be very impatient & rude. & the food was the same every day. I guess in those days they didn't spend too much effort on hospital-food.

I just looked ridiculous, with a huge bandage wrapped around my head. first I was in a room alone, then they placed me in a room with.. five others, I think? young girls, still a lot older than me. they kind of laughed at my ridiculous bandages. they asked me what was wrong with my head & I couldn't explain well what my condition was. they transferred me to a room for myself again, I guess for rest. I sleepwalked a lot in those days & they also had to watch me at night & keep me in my room, or else I'd wander through the hallways with my entire installation of intravenous catheters. or I'd wake up confused, call the nurses & ask for breakfast, things like that.

my mother of course came around often, but it only felt like I was swallowing her time & like I took up too much of it. in the evenings, when she went home, I always hid my face in the pillow, turned on my tapes with stories from my favorite writer, sometimes I cried, I think. no one's ever seen me cry, though.

I was very young & I'd just spent three month in bed, before I finally was diagnosed & immediately admitted to the hospital for operation, so I wasn't exactly waiting for lying over a week in some hospital. I got bored often & a lot of the times I wanted to draw, but after a few hours of being somewhat active, nurses would always come in, ask everyone to leave & tell me to sleep. that was confusing, because even though I felt 'tired' in some way a lot, I hardly ever felt like sleeping. I got out of bed a lot, again dragging the entire installation attached to me with me, & just started wandering & talking to people. they had a hard time keeping me in bed & making sure I wouldn't open the wound in my head.

once they forgot to watch that, I accidently ripped everything open (it itched!) & pulled out all the cotton they'd put inside the wound. it didn't hurt at all, but it became messy & they had to pick left overs of cotton out of the wound. that was the most painful thing I've ever experienced, which was frustrating, because it didn't hurt before. then they stuffed new cotton inside my head. wah, just painful. it tought me never to touch it again, though.

after that everything went relatively quick & I could leave the hospital not too long after. I remember, when they 'let me go', I wanted to put on my shoes, but they didn't fit anymore.

JoY
05-12-2006, 07:22 AM
I love hospitals. They are just like the train stations and airports. It's a great thing to feel other people's emotions easily.

Of course I'm not saying it's fun to see people who lose their mothers, fathers, children, wives, husbands and all. But there is just something really effects me about the waiting rooms in hospitals.
what I love about hospitals:
*the general atmosphere of hope.
*seeing people getting better.
*the individuals called patients, who all have their stories, experiences, beliefs, etc.
*watching nurses & doctors working & caring for people they don't know.
*the beauty of acceptance.
*helping people by simply being there for them.
*seeing the way people deal with disease, the consequences & death & helping them in the process of acceptance.

what I hate about hospitals:
*working in one makes you sick. literally. there's a 90% you get a fever in your beginning period from all the bacteria & shit that are floating around you all the time.
*arrogant/rude/impatient/busy doctors & nurses.
*doctors & nurses with few social skills. WHY did they ever pick such a 'social' profession?
*the smell. I can still remember it clearly from when I was a patient.
*the food.
*the misery of sickness & death.
*the frustration that comes with the inability to accept the status of being a patient.
*the frustration that comes with the inability to accept the consequences of disease.
*patients you can't help, possibly because they're terminal, possibly because they suffer from something chronical, possibly because of an addiction, etc.

the good things about hospitals rule out the bad things, though. eventually hospitals are fantastic places, filled with hope, dreams, beliefs, ambitions, care, knowledge & so much more.

guitarboy
05-12-2006, 07:44 AM
i've had my fair share of hospital visits and such i've had 4 heart sureries and mieocarditas (pardon my spelling) so ya i know all about hospitals i like some things like when the nurses are nice and not pissy and when the doctors take the time to get to know thier patients and actually care about them

more later but i'm in school and this peroid is about over

Isolated Fury
05-12-2006, 08:17 AM
I've never heard a moaning person inside of a hospital...ever.

JoY
05-12-2006, 08:19 AM
*myocarditis.

was that also the reason for every one of your heartsurgeries?

hospital visits always make me nervous, especially when they have to draw blood. I just fucking hate needles.

when my ankle was operated, I was scared to shit for the back injection/catheter with anaesthetics. the injection to numb the area on my back where the catheter had to go was more painful though. the fear hurt more than the stupid injection itself.

& intravenous catheters (venflon) for the wrist? those are just a fucking pain in the ass. they don't hurt, but they itch & sometimes they put it against a valve in the vein, which feels uncomfortable. when my head was operated, I constantly pulled those catheters out. they were just plain annoying & they sort of immobilise you, because you're attached to this fucking installation that's a bitch to drag around.

JoY
05-12-2006, 08:25 AM
I've never heard a moaning person inside of a hospital...ever.
oh, I have. the disrespect for nurses, the bitching about having the status of being a patient, thus needing help. the inability to accept disease, or the consequences of disease. the requests for medicines they either don't need, have already had, or when they want more of them. patients that have been a patient for a long time, who think that they know everything better than people in healthcare. needy patients that want special treatment, more time spent on them & who expect everyone to listen to them for as long as they want. patients that see themselves as customers (& yes, this I've seen & experienced) & say that "customers are king", meaning you have to make them feel like they're in a fucking hotel.

but I've also seen a lot of courageous patients, strong patients. & patients that 'moan' often have a right to moan. if the doctor didn't explain what kind of medication he's given & what exactly that does to a human body, one can encounter unpleasant surprises. or when you're in isolation for TBC suspicions, I think you're right to bitch about four walls closing you in. suppose you have a lungtumor slowly invading your skull, which changes your entire personality. or if you know you'll never ever see the sky again, unless through a window, because you know you won't get out of the hospital alive.. I can understand most bitching & moaning that goes on in hospitals. the ones who don't whine aren't necessarily the ones that are easy to work with. I'd rather have a whining patient just saying what the hell is wrong, than one that acts like he's all better & just wants to leave.

Isolated Fury
05-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Maybe it's just the fact that I'm American, and we like to keep our patients as unconscious as possible...

Radi0_havana52
05-12-2006, 08:30 AM
I hate going in to hospitals i think i might pick up some disease if i walk in there, plus it smells like Death in there and believe me i smell death everyday.

JoY
05-12-2006, 08:33 AM
..in what department of the hospital is that? anaesthesy?

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-12-2006, 10:32 AM
I actually really like hospitals, and I have no idea why. It's like airline food and travelling by train - everyone else seems to hate it, and I love it.

JoY
05-12-2006, 10:51 AM
obviously in some sick twisted way you associate hospitalisation with train- & airtravel. & travelling brings you to all kind of new places & is teh exciting.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-12-2006, 10:54 AM
ooh, philosophy.

JoY
05-12-2006, 10:56 AM
getting better & feeling your body fighting what's attacking your health can be exciting, except when it's after like, three months. then you've just been waiting too long & it's gotten boring & only just a relief. plus, you get used to getting served & lying around. I hate to say it, but you do. the best breakfasts I've always gotten when sick. (with the exception of hospitals, doh)

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-12-2006, 10:57 AM
I think it's probably because in hospital I was actually encouraged to sleep ridiculously long hours. Heaven.

Evka.pl
05-12-2006, 12:44 PM
i hate hospitals, the smell, the atmosphere and sick ppl. i've been in hospital several times and it sucks. especially the injections and when they put on a drip into your vein.

i've always had infections from the drips (guess i have delicate veins or sth)

and the fact that u have to cope with all the ppl that are in the same room sucks too

i used to watch ER and i was amazed..i mean american hospitals are way better than the polish ones... (especially since we don't have georg-clooney-looking-like-doctors)

Sin Studly
05-12-2006, 02:20 PM
i've had my fair share of hospital visits and such i've had 4 heart sureries and mieocarditas (pardon my spelling)

Please tell us you're dying.

guitarboy
05-12-2006, 02:58 PM
Please tell us you're dying.

no i'm gonna stay alive just to torment your existance by knowing that i also exist

Sin Studly
05-12-2006, 03:01 PM
For how much longer, King Richard the Dyin'hearted?

the_GoDdEsS
05-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Over here, most of them are old depressing buildings, back from the regime, where the air is bad and thick, and the energy is low. Thankfully I haven't had to stay at any yet.

Rinoa
05-12-2006, 04:42 PM
The only time I was in hospital overnight was when I 4 years old. I had gromits put into my ears as I was hard of hearing.

I really hate visiting sick family or friends in hopsitals. Thankfully I haven't had to do it often.

Only hospital I'd ever want to visit is the one in Green Wing ;)

Betty
05-12-2006, 06:15 PM
The last time I was in the hospital for an extended period of time was when my grandma was dying and everybody took turns doing 4 hour shifts sitting with her. The kids generally got the middle-of-the-night shifts. It wasn't particularly enjoyable. Near the end of the week she was mostly out of it, and we'd just sit and play cards, or just sit and stare into nothing, or whisper, or nap in the hospital chairs. I pretty much watched her die, but wasn't there the day she did.

I don't particularly enjoy being in hospitals.