PDA

View Full Version : The Offsprings?

Jojan
05-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Have you noticed that many people that know of The Offspring but haven't heard of many songs often refer to the band as The Offsprings? Where does that come from? Do most people just suck alot?

Sinister
05-12-2006, 09:25 AM
They probably haven't been informed well.

Mannen som blev en gris
05-12-2006, 09:28 AM
No idea where it comes from. I have heard a lot of people say it though.

no_way
05-12-2006, 09:39 AM
maybe because of the beatles, the rolling stones, they are used to calling them as plural people.

-Look, there's Dexter!
-Who the hell is Dexter?
-Oh, he's an Offspring

-I had dinner last night with Atom and Noodles
-With who?
-Noodles an atoms, some Offsprings...

Evka.pl
05-12-2006, 10:39 AM
maybe because of the beatles, the rolling stones, they are used to calling them as plural people.

i thought the word offspring is only in singular...

Emily_offspring_fan
05-12-2006, 10:44 AM
i thought the word offspring is only in singular...
It is only singular. Like "SHEEP" or "FISH".
(I use the dictionary)

no_way
05-12-2006, 11:39 AM
I know that, but some people do not!!! and that's the way things go...

opivy21
05-12-2006, 01:28 PM
It is only singular. Like "SHEEP" or "FISH".
(I use the dictionary)
Can't it be singular and plural?

Mannen som blev en gris
05-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Can't it be singular and plural?
Of course it can be both, but it's Offspring in plural too.

SaiKYoU
05-12-2006, 01:33 PM
taht's because they are four... it's a common mistake, but stupid yeah...

Emily_offspring_fan
05-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Of course it can be both, but it's Offspring in plural too.
Yeah. Example:
"This fish is blue"
"Both fish are blue"

(i've become a teacher...oh no! :p )

opivy21
05-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Yeah. Example:
"This fish is blue"
"Both fish are blue"

(i've become a teacher...oh no! :p )
O.K. I thought you were saying that it could only ever be singular, and I knew that was wrong.

no_way
05-12-2006, 08:38 PM
conclusion: People that say The Offsprings are completely ignorants. Thank you very much for coming to this talk. Have a nice life.

Llamas
05-12-2006, 08:42 PM
I've never heard that. crazy.

It annoys me when people argue that it's just "Offspring" and not "The Offspring", because the only album they have is Smash, and on that album it's just "Offspring". I try explaining that that's the ONLY album there is no "the". it's annoying. Anyone know why they didn't put "the" on that album?

Sinister
05-12-2006, 08:43 PM
No idea, but I don't care about 'the'.

Llamas
05-12-2006, 08:46 PM
the article is inflective, though... "offspring" implies they're just offspring, just any offspring... but "the offspring" implies that they are THE offspring, not just any offspring... they are the sole one. I like it much more with "the".

punker
05-12-2006, 08:55 PM
people here never say "the offspring", i think most people doesnt even know there's a "the"

0r4ng3
05-12-2006, 08:57 PM
The way I see it, "The" is only used if the band is a noun, but it's not there as an adjective. For example:

"Hey, did you hear that new Offspring song?"
"Yeah, I heard that new song by The Offspring."

Little_Miss_1565
05-12-2006, 09:25 PM
I think only people who don't have a very firm grasp on English say 'Offsprings,' not just who knows the band and who doesn't.

Llamas
05-12-2006, 09:40 PM
The way I see it, "The" is only used if the band is a noun, but it's not there as an adjective. For example:

"Hey, did you hear that new Offspring song?"
"Yeah, I heard that new song by The Offspring."

I'm talking about people who would say "I heard that new song by Offspring". Like, barenaked ladies- they don't have a "the" in front of their name", but some people use one. the offspring has one, though.

Hypodermic_89
05-13-2006, 03:05 AM
People who think they're called The Offsprings are seriously retarded or ignorant. I mean when they listen to the songs on Winamp or whatever, don't they see that they're called The Offspring? Or if they own a cd, don't they see it says The Offspring?

Idiots.

Emily_offspring_fan
05-13-2006, 11:05 AM
People who think they're called The Offsprings are seriously retarded or ignorant. I mean when they listen to the songs on Winamp or whatever, don't they see that they're called The Offspring? Or if they own a cd, don't they see it says The Offspring?

Idiots.
Yeah, first, they don't know English, and they are probably blind.

Hyper nova
05-21-2006, 06:00 AM
The technical term for a word like Offspring, Fish or Sheep is a 'Mass Noun' Just to let people know. So Like people have said its spelt the same whether it is plural or singular. So the people the call them Offsprings not only have they got the name wrong that dont know their English grammar. But as for missing the 'The' off of the name I don't see the problem if it sound a bit odd to say it in sentences like

"have you heard the new The Offspring song?" and people get rid of the 'The' and it becomes "have you heard the new Offspring song?"

Even I do that becasue its just easier and sounds better but technically it suppossed to have the 'The' there anyway.

What does bug me a bit is when they are refered to as Offspring when its on its own such as on a music video song name caption and there is absolutely no need to leave of the 'The' off. But at the end of the day it doesnt really matter.

German Andres
05-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Ignorance, that`s all. :mad:

nameless
05-21-2006, 02:54 PM
ive never heard anyone say that so im not sure what its all about!

Kitten
05-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Have you noticed that many people that know of The Offspring but haven't heard of many songs often refer to the band as The Offsprings? Where does that come from? Do most people just suck alot?

To be fair, they probably just don't care about it as much as you do. It's one of those personal music choice things, and a lot of people don't like the same music you are into. Also, some people are radio listeners, meaning, they will listen to the radio, sing along to most of the songs, but not actually know the artists that sing them.