PDA

View Full Version : Is any1 bothered by the dissapearences of the guitar solo from mainstream music?

callum92
05-13-2006, 09:29 AM
???????????????

0r4ng3
05-13-2006, 09:30 AM
If I'm not mistaken, mainstream music has more guitar solos nowadays. However, they all suck.

callum92
05-13-2006, 09:33 AM
ahhh u misunderstand me young padawan
i mean a proper guitar solo using comlicated techniques such as sweaping arpeggios and scales other than pentatonic minor. Solos these days are just a couple of bends with a slide or two...thats no solo thats superficial bs

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Uh, when did mainstream music ever have that?

callum92
05-13-2006, 09:36 AM
have u never heard of the 70's and 80's?
Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Eagles, Linnard Skinnard and the list goes on and on and on and on and on etc

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-13-2006, 09:38 AM
Oh, alright. But the disappearance happened a long, long time ago.

And don't get clever with me, sunshine.

callum92
05-13-2006, 09:39 AM
haha u just cant believe that im actually intelligent enough to prove you wrong

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-13-2006, 09:40 AM
Uh, did I debate the point? You proved me wrong. I admit that.

callum92
05-13-2006, 09:42 AM
my bad.........

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-13-2006, 09:43 AM
By the way, what's up with your avatar? No one hates you. You're completely insignificant.

callum92
05-13-2006, 09:44 AM
meh...its just an avatar dont have to take it seriously

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-13-2006, 09:45 AM
I'm not taking it seriously. It's just wrong.

callum92
05-13-2006, 09:49 AM
meh procrastanance rules my life...havnt got around to changing it

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Procrastination. Congrats for being intelligent.

0r4ng3
05-13-2006, 09:51 AM
I procrastinate, too. I haven't changed my avatar all day.

callum92
05-13-2006, 09:52 AM
thanx........

endlesst0m
05-13-2006, 10:01 AM
I guess guitar solos just dissappeared because they aren't that catchy most of the time. For example, the people that write pop songs for Britney Spears never write in guitar solos. I guess people just want to release music that's as catchy as possible. I really don't really know why it's gone, but it doesn't bother me that much, there's plenty of good songs with and without guitar solos.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-13-2006, 10:02 AM
I think it's just because music tastes change in the mainstream, along with everywhere else. In the '80s guitar solos were still on the fringes of mainstream, but not anymore. They'll probably come back again sometime.

coke_a_holic
05-13-2006, 10:16 AM
Guitar solos vanished because people have grown increasingly more attached to quick songs that are catchy and have more vocal/lyrical expertise than musical. It's not really that hard to understand why, and it just doesn't really bother me because I no longer listen to the majority of mainstream music. Don't give me any shit about how rap music has no lyrical or musical expertise because I don't really want to hear it.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-13-2006, 10:18 AM
Plus, it's wrong.

JohnnyNemesis
05-13-2006, 10:22 AM
Exactly .

coke_a_holic
05-13-2006, 10:28 AM
lol there retards atemptin poetry

0r4ng3
05-13-2006, 10:28 AM
cant spel rap withowt crap!!1

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Jesse, I knew you were gonna say that.

0r4ng3
05-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Yeah, so did I.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-13-2006, 10:30 AM
That's not a compliment.

0r4ng3
05-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Yes, I realize that.

kamikaze
05-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Guitar solos are teh gayz anyway. ;)

wheelchairman
05-13-2006, 01:23 PM
I find guitar solos to be incredibly fucking boring. And the people who really enjoy them are pretentious bastards. Unless they are stoned, then it's normal.

NDM1
05-13-2006, 02:13 PM
I find guitar solos to be incredibly fucking boring. And the people who really enjoy them are pretentious bastards. Unless they are stoned, then it's normal.

Hmm, or the people who like them actually play guitar and like hearing something other then 3 powerchords the entire time.

All About Eve
05-13-2006, 04:28 PM
Huge, long guitar solos are why I don't listen to metal much anymore. If keyboards are mixed in, that's a little better, but still gets boring.

Huge, long pretentious guitar solos are why I've never listened to The Mars Volta.

wheelchairman
05-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Hmm, or the people who like them actually play guitar and like hearing something other then 3 powerchords the entire time.
This is also why I hate most guitarists.

And don't get me wrong, I AM a guitarists. I just hate them. There is nothing more annoying than having someone with greasy long hair, coming to your house, and playing your guitar while you sit around being bored. Or having to go with a friend to a goddamn music store. Goddamn I hate guitarists.

Solos are just fuckin' boring. Guitarists only like them because they can't sing and have small penises so they want to show off. Let's face it, the guitar is an extension of our manhood. A detachable penis.

I stole that last part from a rap song.

Little_Miss_1565
05-13-2006, 05:03 PM
"Detachable Penis" by King Missile? Isn't that not a rap song?

My music history professor referred to guitars in guitar solo posturing as the "technophallus." Fits in with what Per just said.

wheelchairman
05-13-2006, 05:07 PM
I took it from Sage Francis' song Gunz Yo.

this dick is a detachable penis
an extension of my manhood positioned like a fetus
an intravenous hook-up feeds bullets to my magazine
nevermind the bullocks, my pistol is a sex machine

Little_Miss_1565
05-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Word, son.

callum92
05-13-2006, 05:56 PM
Guitar solos are teh gayz anyway. ;)
obviosly has no knowledge about the complexity of the guitar....these days bands just cant be bothered to succeed at the guitar like they did in the 70's

wheelchairman
05-13-2006, 06:38 PM
obviosly has no knowledge about the complexity of the guitar....these days bands just cant be bothered to succeed at the guitar like they did in the 70's
I have knowledge about the complexity of the guitar. Solos are still fucking gay.

endlesst0m
05-13-2006, 09:40 PM
I have knowledge about the complexity of the guitar. Solos are still fucking gay.

No way!

Not all solo's are gay. Some of them, are short and very melodic to the point where I even catch myself humming along to them. Some solo's fucking reek though. Those fuckers just wanna show off!

Jakebert
05-13-2006, 09:49 PM
Guitar solos annoy me when they're only used to show off, but when the band uses them to enhance the actual song, they're amazing. Pink Floyd and Sonic Youth, for example, do a great job at this. But like Motly Crue or bands like that who just use them to showboat really suck.

Sunny
05-14-2006, 10:15 AM
I hate most guitar solos.. they're long, annoying, and sound absolutely pointless to me. most of the time it sounds like someone's jacking off with his guitar.

no thanks.

smashing pumpkins solos being the exception. and there's a few others. but meh. ;x

ofsmurfsandpixies
05-14-2006, 10:20 AM

amen to that

0r4ng3
05-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Most "three-chord punk" songs don't have solos, though. At least, not any good ones.

callum92
05-17-2006, 12:55 AM
seriously though....think about it :) imagine if the offspring never had solos...it would'nt piece their solos properly...but in most cases solos that are more than 30 secons are stupidly meaningless

mrconeman
05-17-2006, 02:32 AM
Its quite simple why the guitar solo has dispeard off the face of mainstream music.
Mainstream music through the 70's was dominated by guitar driven rock, obviously going to contain solos. The 60's also had its share of guitar soloists.
The 80's was a revolution of the guitar solo, with Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, and later the likes of Slash. Then came Nirvana, and the anti-solo hardxcore grunge revolution, that killed off the solo.
Now being that rock isnt at the forefront of mainstream anymore, I dont see why the guitar solo is needed or expected in mainstream music.

I think a better question would be, is anyone bothered at the disapearance of rock music from mainstream music. A guitar solo is just one element of an entire genre that, these days has taken a back seat.

JohnnyNemesis
05-17-2006, 03:13 AM
is anyone bothered at the disapearance of rock music from mainstream music.

I say good riddance, personally. I don't hate rock or anything, but I just don't think the mainstream aspect of it is as appealing to me. I'm personally not bothered by its disappearance, but I can understand why others would be.

mrconeman
05-17-2006, 03:39 AM
Agreed. Rock going mainstream would have alot of disadvantages, even for the biggest rock fans.
I dont really know where I stand on the issue actually, theres quite a few rock bands out there that deserve their sucesses I'm sure, but with mainstream music often comes extremely annoying 'fans'.
I'm trying not to sound like some tru punx here, but even with Greenday (not that they are rock or anything, just an example) when they released American Idiot, seeing 7 year old girls running around in the latest American Idiot heart grenade shirt and singing When September ends, just pissed me off.

Kerr
05-17-2006, 04:24 AM
I personally don't dig guitar solos a lot, but if the backing music is good and the solo goes well with it, I'd love listening to it. But a fair amount of the time, the backing music is either too boring or the solo itself is boring, or worse, both. And solos just on their own I find pretty boring too.

Lupin
05-17-2006, 05:39 AM
The Chilis seem to be doing there hardest to bring solo's back. I think the solo has been lost by the dumbing down of music on the whole, to the point that bands such a falloutboy are up on stage playing, vacant looks on there faces; brains leaking from there noses....eurgh...give me 30 seconds of solo to show me that there ALIVE!!!!!!!!
________
Brazilian recipes (http://www.cooking-chef.com/brazilian/)

wheelchairman
05-17-2006, 08:29 AM
Dumbing down? Seriously, what is intelligent about solos? I hate that retarded musical elitism. Solos are simply mega guitar-wank. There is nothing intelligent about solos. At least not today. Some bands are really good at making solos fit the mood of the song. Pink Floyd being the most obvious answer but also the Smashing Pumpkins.

But usually it's just pathetic guitarwank because they can't sing and want to feel special. Man I hate performists.

T-6005
05-17-2006, 09:17 AM
I agree with most of the intelligent posting in this thread. Guitar solos should never be just "guitar solos." They should be based off of, depend on, and add to a particular song or part of a song.

There's also nothing wrong with soloing over 3 chords. It can sound great.

callum92
05-20-2006, 02:35 AM

And don't get me wrong, I AM a guitarists. I just hate them. There is nothing more annoying than having someone with greasy long hair, coming to your house, and playing your guitar while you sit around being bored. Or having to go with a friend to a goddamn music store. Goddamn I hate guitarists.

Solos are just fuckin' boring. Guitarists only like them because they can't sing and have small penises so they want to show off. Let's face it, the guitar is an extension of our manhood. A detachable penis.

yeah good work keeping the conversation constructive.....im sure a lot of deep thought went into that 1....in case u cant tell im being sarcastic

Tizzalicious
05-20-2006, 05:29 AM
yeah good work keeping the conversation constructive.....im sure a lot of deep thought went into that 1....in case u cant tell im being sarcastic
Do you get dumber with every post?

- WCM

Mannen som blev en gris
05-20-2006, 06:14 AM
I disagree with a lot of people in this thread. Guitar solos are not pointless! They may not always sound very interesting or meaningful, but they are. Imagine if you took a song with a guitar solo in it, and removed the, in your opinion, pointless solo. That would make the song better, right? Since the solo is pointless anyway?

To prove you all wrong, here's a song. (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=7D0F590853800134 ) Desert Plains by Judas Priest. Listen to the song. After about two minutes, there's a guitar solo.
And now, I have magically removed the solo (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=8D02FA79653469BA ), with my awesome sound editing skills. This version is of course the better one, since it doesn't have that pointless solo, right?
Be honest, which version did you prefer? The one with the useless solo, or the one without it?

mrconeman
05-20-2006, 06:23 AM
Saying that solos are pointless is a far worse case of musical elitism than saying they arent if you ask me, while yes I agree, there are LOADS of solos that are pointless guitar wankage, it doesnt make the plenty of solos that are genuinly musically brilliant any less commendable.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-20-2006, 08:10 AM
I don't quite get your point, Dusk.

Andy
05-20-2006, 08:11 AM
To answer the question in the title: No, not really.

bouncingcoles
05-20-2006, 12:55 PM
i agree, but times change. but avenged sevenfold is definetly a band that is bringing that all back.

killer_queen
05-20-2006, 01:04 PM

Quoted it because I don't need to write the same things again.
I need to add something though. I hate guitars too. The sound of them kills me, gives me headaches, makes me wanna bang my head... Also I hate when the guitarists say that they dedicate themselves to music, they can't live without music and that kind of crap.

Mr. Noodles
05-20-2006, 02:04 PM
I disagree with a lot of people in this thread. Guitar solos are not pointless! They may not always sound very interesting or meaningful, but they are. Imagine if you took a song with a guitar solo in it, and removed the, in your opinion, pointless solo. That would make the song better, right? Since the solo is pointless anyway?

To prove you all wrong, here's a song. (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=7D0F590853800134 ) Desert Plains by Judas Priest. Listen to the song. After about two minutes, there's a guitar solo.
And now, I have magically removed the solo (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=8D02FA79653469BA ), with my awesome sound editing skills. This version is of course the better one, since it doesn't have that pointless solo, right?
Be honest, which version did you prefer? The one with the useless solo, or the one without it?
I agree with you. Solos are cool! Also, in hair metal bands, the singers tend to hit higher notes and the solos allow them to take a quick breather or a quick drink, otherwise their voice would get really horrible.
And solos are actually quite enjoyable. I like the one in "Godzilla" by Blue Oyster Cult (right after the chorus), or the two solos in "Crossroads" by Cream. Another example: in "Love Song" by Tesla. I love that solo that leads into the "love will find its way" part of the song.

callum92
05-20-2006, 03:59 PM

my point exactly!

JohnnyNemesis
05-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Yeah! He did a great job using one shitty song to back up points about entire genres of music!

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-20-2006, 06:56 PM
It applies to a lot of songs, Rick. I could post plenty that are exactly the same.

Tizzalicious
05-21-2006, 03:09 AM
Yeah sure, you cut out a solo in an already pre-existing song, it will sound stupid. That proves nothing and ignores the point about solos being done tastefully in a song, and not as guitar wank.

I mean maybe they don't like either songs. Maybe they don't like Judas Priest, may Judas Priest is one of the bands that were good at solos and not just guitar wanking.

It however totally missed the point. The people who like solos aren't gonna like songs if you cut out the solo, they are probably just not going to like music that was meant to be guitar-oriented, because that is boring.

- WCM

Mannen som blev en gris
05-21-2006, 06:25 AM
Yeah! He did a great job using one shitty song to back up points about entire genres of music!
Yeah! You're right! That didn't back up any points! That was just one song! Maybe I'll do the same thing to all songs with a solo in them!

WCM: I'm a living question mark right now. What the freaking fuck crap fuck what? WHAT are you trying to say?

mrconeman
05-21-2006, 06:37 AM
Saying you hate solos and guitarists and going on to say you like some solos that are done right is fucktarded, because there is a fucking plethora of amazing solos out there, equal too, or possibly out numbering the amount of pointless wankage. You like some and you dont like some, simple.
I wont even begin to name songs, bands, guitarists or solos, because plain and simple there are too many good ones to bother myself.

Tizzalicious
05-21-2006, 08:05 AM
My point was that your point doesn't make any sense. You can cut solos out of some songs sure. But I gaurantee you that if I add solos to any song I can make it worse. Doing these things however, would not prove either of our points.

Tizzalicious
05-21-2006, 08:06 AM
Saying you hate solos and guitarists and going on to say you like some solos that are done right is fucktarded, because there is a fucking plethora of amazing solos out there, equal too, or possibly out numbering the amount of pointless wankage. You like some and you dont like some, simple.
I wont even begin to name songs, bands, guitarists or solos, because plain and simple there are too many good ones to bother myself.
You're also a guitarist, this makes your positive opinion on solos irrelevant.

- WCM

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Why? Because you play an instrument you can't look favourably on it?

Tizzalicious
05-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Because we're talking about mainstream music and it's listeners. Not the annoying perversions of guitarists.

- WCM