PDA

View Full Version : The Metal Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-15-2006, 03:16 PM
This here thread is for us relatively few metalheads to discuss metal bands without feeling the scorn of the people with infinitely better music tastes. Basically, me and Mannen.

So, I'll jump in straight away with a bit of Megadeth! How awesome is the Youthanasia album? Very, I say!

I'm 99% sure this belongs here but I suppose it could be in GC. Rick and Per, I trust in your wise judgement.

Zack
05-15-2006, 03:51 PM
Megadeth is great but i especially like there album Rust in peace.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-15-2006, 06:44 PM
I was so, so disappointed with Rust In Peace. Youthanasia and Cryptic Writings are where it's at.

All About Eve
05-15-2006, 06:45 PM
I quite honestly have never listened to Megadeath very much. I've heard a couple songs, couldn't tell you which, and just got bored by them.

Mr. Noodles
05-15-2006, 06:45 PM
Megadeth is cool. I like Symphony of Destruction.

The Talking Pie
05-16-2006, 12:49 AM
Countdown To Extinction is what does it for me. Personally, I think Megadeth were made solely by Marty's solos. What I do love off Youthanasia is The Killing Road. That's so fun to play.

Jebus
05-16-2006, 01:14 AM
Yup, Megadeth wouldn't be that great if it wasn't for Marty. He adds that melodic touch to most Megadeth's songs.

As for other metal bands, I've recently gotten into Meshuggah (http://youtube.com/watch?v=JgH8SEqK2qI&search=rational%20gaze) . I don't know how to describe them but they're pretty crazy. It actually took me a while to even be able to stand them because of my disdain for death metal vocals but now I think the vocals are neat.

nieh
05-16-2006, 05:31 AM
Yup, Megadeth wouldn't be that great if it wasn't for Marty. He adds that melodic touch to most Megadeth's songs.

As for other metal bands, I've recently gotten into Meshuggah (http://youtube.com/watch?v=JgH8SEqK2qI&search=rational%20gaze) . I don't know how to describe them but they're pretty crazy. It actually took me a while to even be able to stand them because of my disdain for death metal vocals but now I think the vocals are neat.

As I understand it, Mashuggah are sort of math-metally/metalcore along the lines of Dillinger Escape Plan or Botch or Horse the Band but I've never actually heard them myself. I'll check that link out once I get my computer working again.

Mannen som blev en gris
05-16-2006, 08:42 AM
Megadeth are good. Very good. I loved their Paranoid cover. However, I don't really think they're that interesting. I don't know. I don't really feel like buying any of their albums.

I just got the Demons & Wizards CD btw. It's good, both Hansi and Jon are awesome song writers, but WHY DOESN'T JON PLAY SOLOS?! I just don't get it. Is he simply a really bad guitarist? And for your information, I <3 digipaks!

Also, check out this five year old death metal singer! (http://www.purevolume.com/spiderthetylercore)

offspring fan
05-16-2006, 09:02 AM
Busted! is the best metal band ever.

All About Eve
05-16-2006, 09:40 AM
Busted! is the best metal band ever.
Besides Dream Theater, Sonata Arctica, DragonForce, Queensryche, Metallica, Megadeath, Children of Bodom, Kaipa, Masterplan, Liquid Tension Experiment, and a bunch of others I can't think of, you're totally right!

Jebus
05-16-2006, 05:35 PM
Busted?

Nieh, I really doubt you'll like them. They don't have the same type of charm that you like about Dillinger Escape Plan. They're a bit more "organized" than the type of music you tend to like, but still weird nonetheless. The band doesn't have a bassist so yeah...you probably won't like them. They try to make up for it by having stupidly low tunned 8 string guitars, but it's not the same.

There's something about the band's dissonant repetitave guitar riffs that I like, especially when I'm in the right mood. In combination with the polymetric drum beats(probably what they're known for the most), it's quite a trippy experience. From what I can tell, they're not highly technical at all except for some atonal guitar solos, although the composition may be very complex.

Edit: Actually, I think they do have bassist. I probably thought they didn't because I heard they played live without a bass guitar before.

All About Eve
05-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Are you talking to me? I hate Busted.

Jebus
05-16-2006, 06:06 PM
I just stated I never heard of Busted. It wasn't meant for anyone in particular.

All About Eve
05-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Oh. Just take it from me -- they're bad.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-16-2006, 08:09 PM
I think he was trying to be witty, and failed.

Mannen, I'm glad you liked the D+W CD. Worth buying, d'ya think?

All About Eve
05-16-2006, 08:15 PM
It really hurts me how you picked Mannen above Jebus or me to reply to your metal thread, Dave.

Jebus
05-16-2006, 08:18 PM
nah, I'm I'm a pretentious fusion whore. I don't think I would work.

Lars
05-17-2006, 03:12 AM
'lol' at the fact a guy from busted went to my friends bands gig at least once. They even published an overexaggerated article in the sun about it. http://www.milliondead.org/articles/sun.jpg

And then I want to pimp Jesu because I wanted to do that and I guess it could go in here http://www.avalancheinc.co.uk/jesu.html If you go under the reseases part you can listen to some samples/tracks under each release.

Mannen som blev en gris
05-17-2006, 07:02 AM
It really hurts me how you picked Mannen above Jebus or me to reply to your metal thread, Dave.
Power metal is cool and prog metal is simply gay!

Mannen, I'm glad you liked the D+W CD. Worth buying, d'ya think?
Yeah, it's worth the money, no doubt. And you should go for the digipak, since it's just so much more awesome. It's like double and you fold it out and stuff. :cool: And then there's some great art stuff.

And since this is a metal thread I need to do some metal-website whoring: www.metal-observer.com www.metal-observer.com www.metal-observer.com www.metal-observer.com www.metal-observer.com www.metal-observer.com. There. That www.metal-observer.com site www.metal-observer.com rules. www.metal-observer.com !

Come out and smash'em up!
05-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Best metal bands are Metallica,SOAD,Children of bodom,Sentenced and Pantera
from megadeth i like Symphony of destruction and tornado of souls.

nieh
05-17-2006, 12:58 PM
Nieh, I really doubt you'll like them. They don't have the same type of charm that you like about Dillinger Escape Plan. They're a bit more "organized" than the type of music you tend to like, but still weird nonetheless. The band doesn't have a bassist so yeah...you probably won't like them. They try to make up for it by having stupidly low tunned 8 string guitars, but it's not the same.
etc...

I actually hardly listen to Dillinger Escape Plan because they come accross as too random for me most of the time. I prefer Horse the Band by a lot over them and they're a lot more organized/poppy despite still being pretty complicated.

P.S.
Mastodon = very yay.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Mastodon ARE very yay. And very underrated.

Who is this Horse the Band? Never heard of them.

All About Eve
05-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Mastadon's great. I loved the Peanuts cover they did.

nieh
05-19-2006, 05:33 AM

Who is this Horse the Band? Never heard of them.

Horse the band are kind of a mathy/progressive (though less crazy than Dillinger Escape Plan) metal/hardcore band. They're very angry and scream about old NES games and have a keyboardist that plays 80s video game style stuff overtop of all the angry metal/harcore stuff the rest of the band is doing. They're actually really fucking good.

http://www.purevolume.com/horsetheband

Rinoa
05-19-2006, 06:40 AM
Best Metal gig I've been to has to be the one that featured Slayer, Slipknot, Hatebreed and Mastadon all on the same night. Mastadon are alright but I much preferred Slayer and Hatebreed.

Slayer - Reign In Blood is a superb album.

Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Soulfly and Slayer are my favourites.

05-20-2006, 05:37 AM
Best metal albums are

Metallica - Master of puppets and Black album
Children of bodom - Hatecrew deathroll
Pantera - reinventing hell

Rinoa
05-20-2006, 07:30 AM
Best metal albums are

Excellent choices :)

nieh
05-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Meshuggah (http://youtube.com/watch?v=JgH8SEqK2qI&search=rational%20gaze)

That's one of the worst videos I've ever seen. And the singer's annoying as fuck. The music is alright though.

China Boy
05-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Arch Enemy, anyone?

05-21-2006, 03:09 AM
Machtkampf and hybrid of Steel,Arch enemy

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-21-2006, 04:30 AM

Nope. Hugely overrated, especially the Black Album.

I think someone mentioned Reign In Blood. Now that's a truly great album. God Hates Us All by Slayer is also worth a listen.

Arch Enemy, anyone?

Er, no thanks.

mrconeman
05-21-2006, 05:41 AM
Great metal albums?
Iron Maiden - Seventh son of a Seventh son. and a shit load of others.
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of ozz/Diary of a Madman
like, seriously.

Mannen som blev en gris
05-21-2006, 05:53 AM
The greatest metal album is:

http://images.libri.de/shop/coverscans/416/4163315_4163315_xl.jpg
Judas Priest's second album. Released 1976. Before double bass, before Iron Maiden, before all weird sub genres, simply heavy metal at it's best. I doubt ANY band will EVER be able to create a better album. Sad Wings of Destiny for the freaking win.

Mrconeman, could you upload something from Ozzy's solo albums?

mrconeman
05-21-2006, 06:09 AM
Certaintly. If you're looking to get into Ozzy's solo stuff I suggest starting with those two albums named, it was the albums with Randy Rhoads, and the greatest thing Ozzy will ever accomplish, its all been downhill since then, but some of the stuff with Zakk Wylde is pretty nice.

I've found it pretty hard to pick songs actually, because I really do think every song on both those albums is worthy of a listen.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=13625A0D41DF71B8
Ozzy Osbourne - Mr Crowley.
This song is excellent I think. One of Ozzy's greatest songs and one he still needs to play live ever since 1981. It has two killer guitar solos, some of Randy's greatest work too. This one is from Blizzard of Ozz, his 1981 debut.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=5E1C565121884FAB
Ozzy Osbourne - Over The Mountain.
I love this song for just plain and simple rocking out, the drums just kick you in the face the entire time, its excellent, nice sort of chugga chugga riffing right at its begginings. Nice solo again in this song. This is from Diary of a Madman his follow up.

Mannen som blev en gris
05-21-2006, 06:35 AM
Thank you. I've thought of getting some of his solo stuff for a long time, but I never did. I think I'll buy an album someday, but who knows. There's so much good music in this world...

And does anyone know how long it takes to heal a broken arm? Because the new Manowar album was going to be released April 3, but in January their guitarist broke his left arm in a motorcycle accident. =(

killer_queen
05-21-2006, 06:48 AM
I used to like Arch Enemy. Vocals were bad, that's right but they really did make good music. And that woman, Angela Gossow I guess, is pretty hot.

All About Eve
05-21-2006, 07:56 AM
The greatest metal album is:
Judas Priest's second album. Released 1976. Before double bass, before Iron Maiden, before all weird sub genres, simply heavy metal at it's best. I doubt ANY band will EVER be able to create a better album. Sad Wings of Destiny for the freaking win.

I've never been a huge Priest fan, but I agree that's a great album. I like Angel of Retribution more, however, which brings me to my point. Was AoR designed to have allusions to their older albums? (I.E. "wrap sad wings around me now")

Best metal cd in my opinion is probably Scenes from a Memory by Dream Theater, Octavarium by Dream Theater, or Ecliptica by Sonata Arctica.

P.S. Sabbath > solo Ozzy

mrconeman
05-21-2006, 08:10 AM
Sabbath > solo Ozzy after those albums
Ozzy with Randy Rhoads > Sabbath.

And I'm a pretty big fan of all 3

Mannen som blev en gris
05-21-2006, 08:21 AM
I've never been a huge Priest fan, but I agree that's a great album. I like Angel of Retribution more, however, which brings me to my point. Was AoR designed to have allusions to their older albums? (I.E. "wrap sad wings around me now")
I don't know. But it does remind me a lot of SWoD. Victim of Changes is sort of similar to Lochness, Dreamer Deceiver (the greatest ballad of all time, btw) and Angel, Epitaph and Eulogy and Hellrider reminds me of a modern version of Tyrant. But I don't know.

"Judas Priest are creating their first conceptual album based upon the life and predictions of Nostradamus!

This album will be theatrically staged and performed in its entirity as an epic musical by Judas Priest!"

That is some serious sex. And in many positions too.

PS. I agree.

All About Eve
05-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Oh, btw, I don't like Slayer. At all.

05-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Judas priest - Painkiller
Best drumming ever!

Dream theater - The glass prison, nice song and long one
Ozzy - Crazy train, Great solo!

two funny covers:
Children of bodom - oops i did it again
Warmen - somebodys watching me

Rinoa
05-23-2006, 01:44 AM
I like Children of Bodom. Haven't heard that cover song though, I'll have to have a look out for that one. I like the cover they did of Europe's Final Countdown

Yatesy
05-23-2006, 02:29 AM

Qoated for truth, their cover of orian is excellent. Children of Bodom are great minus their cover of Rebel Yell off their new album (which is great till that monstrosity). And in answer to China boy, Arch Enemy are great. I really want to listen to more of their stuff but I can't due to being only on the net at college.

05-23-2006, 12:37 PM
yeah rebell yell cover ain't special, have you all heard Norther - smash (offspring cover)

LORDI - HARD ROCK HALLELUJAH, sorry we are the winners of eurovision :D

All About Eve
05-23-2006, 01:05 PM
What are the best concept albums? A good concept album beats a good normal album anyday.

My favorites so far:
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory
Pain of Salvation - Be (props to Jebus)

ofsmurfsandpixies
05-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Megadeth.... i always thought there early stuff was best,shredding guitar solos, poiniant vocals, great lyrics,best song is world on fire....and to move on killswitch rule-gravely male vocalist, amazing harmonies-what do you think of them?

-i only looked at the first page

China Boy
05-23-2006, 01:22 PM
And does anyone know how long it takes to heal a broken arm? Because the new Manowar album was going to be released April 3, but in January their guitarist broke his left arm in a motorcycle accident. =(

Hmm since it says it was a severe wound, it will probably take quite the time, maybe he'll be fully recovered in September...ish.

It's too bad, though, I'd love to see them live soon...

Two funny covers:
Children of bodom - oops i did it again
Agreed.

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-23-2006, 03:22 PM
What are the best concept albums? A good concept album beats a good normal album anyday.

My favorites so far:
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory
Pain of Salvation - Be (props to Jebus)

Good list, especially Mindcrime. But my favourite concept album just has to be Somewhere In Time by Maiden.

nieh
05-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Good list, especially Mindcrime. But my favourite concept album just has to be Somewhere In Time by Maiden.

But I thought you loved Deloused in the Comatorium...=,0(
Not metal, but it's a concept album either way!

All About Eve
05-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Haven't heard that one, not really much of a Maiden fan, honestly.

05-24-2006, 05:29 AM
what is a concept album?

Mannen som blev en gris
05-24-2006, 01:56 PM
This. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_album) Basically an album with a story.

But my favourite concept album just has to be Somewhere In Time by Maiden.
Yeah, that's a concept album... minus a concept.

My favourite concept album may be The Dark Saga, by Iced Earth. That last song, A Question of Heaven, is SOOOOOOOO good. Really sad, but REALLY good.

Jebus
05-24-2006, 02:20 PM
This. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_album)
Yup, this is basically it

Within the progressive metal genre, Dream Theater ended the 20th Century with Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory in 1999. This concept album was a sequel to their original song from their 1992 album Images and Words, about a present day man's nightmares of his death in his previous life in 1928. Again, in 2005, Dream Theater released Octavarium, however this album's concept is based around a musical octave.[[1]] Another band known for their concept albums in this genre is Pain Of Salvation, who recently released their sixth studio-album BE.

All About Eve
05-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I wasn't sure whether a musical concept counted as an actual concept or not. Either way, SFAM is better as a whole.

Edit: Jebus, recommend another PoS album.

Jebus
05-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Here's The Perfect Element.
part 1
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=9A693DAB3A6539B6
part 2
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=D06B7DA3274804CC

05-25-2006, 09:48 AM
Never heard a concept album :confused:

ofsmurfsandpixies
05-25-2006, 09:50 AM
is a concept album like 'the wall' by pink floyd?

Mannen som blev en gris
05-29-2006, 07:26 AM
Was AoR designed to have allusions to their older albums? (I.E. "wrap sad wings around me now")
I thought about this last night, and I realised that you're absolutely right. Some examples:

Across the divide
The thresholds in flames
The Painkiller rises again
The scream of the demon
There's evil about
They've come to possess us
Out demons out!

By this quest
Their fates renowned
Put to rest
Abominations grow
Time to Ram it Down
Judgement for the tyrant
Hellrider
Roars throug the night
Hellrider
Raised for the fight

And so now it comes to pass
by the even tide of mass
see them gather yet alas
they remain still as Stained Class

All About Eve
05-29-2006, 09:04 PM
Just got the PoS, thanks Jebus. I'll tell you what I think later. Anything you want?

05-31-2006, 06:09 AM
Anthrax rocks, btw megadeath mechanix reminds a lot of four horsemen by metallica which is far better than Megadeths song.

dalaksta
06-02-2006, 08:59 AM
do any of you know when the KSE (killswitch engage) album is going to be released? i heard that slipknot is working on a new one

check out http://www.metal-mania1.com, my metal website.

H1T_That
06-02-2006, 03:29 PM
'lol' at the fact a guy from busted went to my friends bands gig at least once. They even published an overexaggerated article in the sun about it. http://www.milliondead.org/articles/sun.jpg

And then I want to pimp Jesu because I wanted to do that and I guess it could go in here http://www.avalancheinc.co.uk/jesu.html If you go under the reseases part you can listen to some samples/tracks under each release.

you're mates with someone from million dead?

06-05-2006, 01:59 PM
shame thet there aren't many metal and offspring fans! for this topic.

Lars
06-05-2006, 02:25 PM
you're mates with someone from million dead?
Just saw this, yes.

I saw Jesu last night, I guess they could go under Metal.

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Eyyy, Demons and Wizards have a MySpace. Crimson King (the song) is well ace. http://www.myspace.com/demonswizards

dalaksta
06-06-2006, 07:49 PM
demons and wizards? what kind of name is that?

Problem0
06-07-2006, 05:02 AM
So, I'll jump in straight away with a bit of Megadeth! How awesome is the Youthanasia album? Very, I say!

Yay! Megadeth discussion :) ! Youthanasia isn't my favourite album, but is has some killer songs (Elysian Fields, Victory, Killing Road for example).
Peace Sellsand Rust in Piece are the best ones IMO.

Mannen som blev en gris
06-07-2006, 06:05 AM
Eyyy, Demons and Wizards have a MySpace. Crimson King (the song) is well ace. http://www.myspace.com/demonswizards
Eyy, that's pretty gay! But whatever. My favourite song on that album may be Down Where I Am, but I'm really not sure since most songs are just "good", and not really "awesome".

"1. The name Demons and Wizards comes from an album title by Uriah Heep."

"2. Hansi's favorite Iced Earth song is 'A Question of Heaven'." Aww, I love that song too! Really awesome. Can't beat Gettysburg, but it might be my second favourite Iced Earth song.

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-07-2006, 06:27 PM

Kind of like Dalaksta.

Eyy, that's pretty gay!

Uh? What's wrong with having a couple of songs up?

sara_rock_soul
06-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Disturbed is the best metal band eva! Ozzy Osbourne is the best singer eva, also! :D

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-07-2006, 06:41 PM
evER. I don't mean to be rude but it's one extra letter.

dork
06-07-2006, 07:05 PM
i know that

dork
06-07-2006, 07:06 PM
i know thatthe only thing i know, my name is blake.

Professor Chaos
06-07-2006, 07:33 PM
...yur dumn

coke_a_holic
06-07-2006, 07:42 PM
no u

Mannen som blev en gris
06-08-2006, 04:05 AM
Uh? What's wrong with having a couple of songs up?
You sellout... It's Myspace! Myspace! But it's also power metal so I guess it's alright. ;p

TheUnholyNightbringer
06-08-2006, 05:13 AM
Yeah, so? They're musicians, they're trying to get their music heard. MySpace is a huge website, and the place their music is going to be heard. If I was in a band I'd sure as hell have a MySpace over a Purevolume or whatever.

dalaksta
06-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Has anyone else heard about the new Slayer album?

06-16-2006, 05:59 AM
Metallica is the best metal band ever, saw them 2 days ago in tallin live, it was great! :cool:

All About Eve
06-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Has anyone else heard about the new Slayer album?
Fortunately not.

Mannen som blev en gris
06-19-2006, 10:01 AM
19/06/2006 IRON MAIDEN ANNOUNCE BRAND NEW STUDIO ALBUM

Iron Maiden plan to release their new studio album entitled A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH, in early September.

The band started writing songs at the end of 2005 after a short break from their hugely successful festival appearances in Europe and the USA. After Christmas the songs were completed and rehearsed when the band then got together with producer Kevin 'Caveman' Shirley at Sarm West Studios in London to start work on recording the backing tracks.

Kevin Shirley has now co-produced three of the bands studio albums alongside Steve Harris, as well as two of their recent Live DVD's and albums. From this the working relationship between Kevin and the band seems to get stronger and stronger. Says Kevin, 'The Beast is back! I feel from the outset we all clicked on this one. We spent two months in the studio, from Go to Whoa - from Nicko's 'tubs up' to final mixes and sequenced master! That's a tiny gestation period for an album. Producing Iron Maiden is like sitting in the head and driving one of those mammoth automatons from Star Wars or Saturday morning cartoons! And there's nothing that can stop it!'

'I feel incredibly privileged to have been around to see this album born and breathe life. There have been only a couple of occasions in my career when the ENTIRE process of recording felt so complete - and it is on display here.'

As on previous projects all of the tracks were performed live and together in one room. No click tracks or computer tightening or manipulation has happened at any stage of the recording.

Says Steve Harris,' I think in many ways this has been the easiest album in terms of recording that we've ever done. The whole process of writing through to recording was very natural. I think in terms of the material we've also pushed our boundaries yet again and I think it will please our fans but also really surprise a lot of people as well. The sound we've managed to get is very powerful for a Maiden record and all of us have pushed ourselves in our own ways to create something that we're all immensely proud of and I think working as quickly as we did with Kevin really was part of that process. We simply can't wait to take this out on the road. We've played some great shows and had a lot fun recently introducing some of our older songs to a new generation of fans. However for us personally we're incredibly excited about getting out and performing these new tracks.'

Says Bruce Dickinson,'This album has to be our best since working with Kevin. There is such a wide scope of musicianship on this album and in parts this album is truly epic. I thought with the likes of Paschendale from the last studio album that we could only hope to surpass that but having now heard the album back as well as sitting with a few select people and hearing their reactions as well I truly believe we have managed it. Every one of us has put everything into this record and it's really paid off. However we've had such fun making it that it's almost difficult to believe what we've managed to achieve in the time it took.'

The full track listing is as below.

A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH

1. Different Worlds (Smith/Harris) 4.17
2. These Colours Don't Run (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 6.52
3. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 8.44
4. The Pilgrim (Gers/Harris) 5.07
5. The Longest Day (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 7.48
6. Out Of the Shadows (Dickinson/Harris) 5.36
7. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg (Murray/Harris) 7.21
8. For The Greater Good of God (Harris) 9.24
9. Lord Of Light (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 7.23
10. The Legacy (Gers/Harris) 9.20

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blind Guardian:

A Twist In The Myth details
2006-05-16

Dear friends,

Time to break the silence, time to say hello. As you all most probably know: we have finished the album some days ago and started doing some first shows already. It has been a blast to be back on stage again and do these small shows in Rijssen and Vosseljaar. We appreciate the kindness and the support of the people there and enjoyed the club atmosphere a lot. Istanbul was a great experience and "The Bard's Song" sung by more than 2000 Turkish fans has been nothing but spectacular. I could go on like that but I guess what you are more interested in at the moment is the new album. Even though the secret is revealed already I would like to point out one more time the album is entitled "A Twist in the Myth" and that's just because I unfortunately could not find allies for my most favorite album title suggestion "A Day at the Races". :)

With this album, I think, we have widened the range of the Blind Guardian universe more than we have ever done before. Comparing it with a compass "Fly" would be west, "Skalds and Shadows" east, "This will never end" south and "The Edge" would be north. Does that mean anything? No. But it sounded good, when I first thought about it. Now I think it's not worth to be deleted.

In terms of quality we have had a very good feeling during the whole recording session. But I nevertheless have do admit, that the songs did make a gigantic step during the last days of recording and the mixing session.

While doing the last recording steps, which traditionally are reserved for backing vocals, all songs have made a significant raise in quality. To give you a very small idea about what to expect, I tell you this: "The Edge" and "In search of the Lionheart" certainly will achieve absolute cult status within a very short amount of time. They are very heavy, almost thrashy, though very progressive in certain ways.

"Skalds and Shadows" will prove its longevity in numerous live concerts. To those who consider it a "The Bard's Song" rip off: the album version clearly proves it is a "A Past and Future Secret" rip off, with a different melody, different rhythm pattern and different lyrics, which reminds one of "Harvest of Sorrow". :)

Marcus and I composed a number called "All the King's Horses", which will be released on the Japanese version of "A Twist in the Myth" and on a single we are going to release in the beginning of 2007. It is a great song which will set emotions free, I am sure.

We are most excited about what your reaction to "Another Stranger Me" – an aggressive and powerful Heavy Rocker – will be. The song has great potential.

A very good mixture of the Blind Guardian blend we have found in the songs "This will never end", "Straight through the mirror", "Carry the blessed home", "Turn the Page", "New Order" and "Otherland". These songs will be enjoyable for all B.G. fans. They contain most strong elements of the past and a very good amount of new elements – so they offer a perfect mixture of both worlds, i.e. they present a constant mixture of bombastic elements, surprising breaks, an endless amount of new and very catchy melodies and the right grade of heaviness. Nuclear Blast is going to release a digi pack version containing interviews and one bonus track. This song is called "Dead Sound of Misery" and presents a dark version of "Fly". While mixing the album it was very difficult for us to decide which version would be the better one. Knowing "Fly" already you will be led from surprise to surprise. The song clearly proves nothing is how it seems to be.

The album is going to be released in the first days of September. As you all know by now Anthony Clarkson did a great cover artwork and Nikolay Simkin's booklet design is simply outstanding.

Some of the new songs will be presented on the road when we will start touring in September. We will use the summer break to check out which songs will fit in best to the program.

So everything and everyone is in pretty good shape. All preparations for the Fall tour are on schedule and the interest in tickets for the tour is really high. It pretty much looks like there are even more fans willing to see us than in 2002 which was the most successful tour we have done up to now. I'd better let you go and stop here. One more time we would like to thank for your patience and can't wait to hear and see your reaction to the new songs. As soon as there are some download samples, we will let you know. Your endurance will be rewarded.

"A Twist In The Myth" shall contain the following songs:

This Will Never End (5:07)
Otherland (5:14)
Turn The Page (4:16)
Fly (5:43)
Carry The Blessed Home (4:03)
Another Stranger Me (4:36)
Straight Through The Mirror (5:48)
Lionheart (4:15)
Skalds And Shadows (3:13)
The Edge (4:27)
The New Order (4:49)
This is the cover for the upcoming album.
http://www.blind-guardian.com/new_version/images/albums/small/a_twist_in_the_myth.jpg

Take care,

Hansi

The Maiden album seems extremely sexy. Really long songs too. I'm really looking forward to the new Blind Guardian album too, but not as much. Anyway, early September ftw!

mrconeman
06-20-2006, 05:20 AM
Dang I was just coming here to post that very same Maiden thing. I cant wait for that, in time to see them too, so I'm really hoping good things from this album so that I can see it live.

All About Eve
06-20-2006, 08:58 AM
I just remembered I have a Blind Guardian cd that I never listened to. Normally I prefer them (and most other metal bands) to Maiden.

Mannen som blev en gris
06-21-2006, 10:31 AM
Iron Maiden has a lot of really good songs, but sometimes I think they're a bit too "basic" if you know what I mean. Still a really good band though.

Which album is it?

Jebus
06-21-2006, 10:36 AM
Yay!
http://dreamtheater.net/news_dreamtheater.php#score

Dream Theater's latest live CD and DVD "SCORE" is currently scheduled for release on Aug 29th 2006 on Rhino Records. (date may vary slightly in different countries)

The 3-CD and 2-DVD sets will be available seperately.

Both versions will contain the entire "20th Anniversary World Tour" grand finale recorded live at Radio City Music Hall in New York City on April 1st 2006. (nearly 3 hours of music - over 90 minutes of which was performed with a full orchestra)

The DVD will also contain a 1 hour Documentary tracking the entire career of the band from the very beginnings at the Berklee College Of Music in 1985 all the way to the Radio City Music Hall grand finale. Including rare never before seen footage and interviews with current and previous members of the band.

Also included on the DVD are several live Bonus Tracks from through the years taken from the Portnoy Archives.
That orchestra thing is gonna be awesome.

All About Eve
06-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Which album is it?
Mabool ?

Jebus: That's going to be a billion dollars.

Mannen som blev en gris
06-21-2006, 11:12 AM
Uh.. this one? (http://www.metal-observer.com/articles.php?lid=1&sid=1&id=5711) "Israeli Oriental Death Metal"? Well, it seems to be a good album but it isn't BG.

Jebus- Orchestras + metal is always great. I love the S&M version of The Call of Ktulu soooooo much. And I don't want to do any more Gettysburg whoring, but damn... The beginning of the last part is really really really cool. And all the other parts. Holy shit, I have to listen to it now.

All About Eve
06-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Whoops. Told you I'd never listened to it.

Mannen som blev en gris
06-22-2006, 11:23 AM
I just downloaded an mp3 from that album (the one that was in the review I posted) and it's actually not too bad! I can't listen to anything now (apparently my family thinks Opus Dei documentaries are more important than oriental death metal...), but they have a couple of songs on their website (http://www.orphaned-land.com/default.php?language=en) and also some on their MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/orphanedmyspace) (:().

I think everyone should check them out as soon as possible, because they seriously seemed like a GOOD band.

Jebus
06-22-2006, 12:37 PM
I just downloaded an mp3 from that album (the one that was in the review I posted) and it's actually not too bad! I can't listen to anything now (apparently my family thinks Opus Dei documentaries are more important than oriental death metal...), but they have a couple of songs on their website (http://www.orphaned-land.com/default.php?language=en) and also some on their MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/orphanedmyspace) (:().

I think everyone should check them out as soon as possible, because they seriously seemed like a GOOD band.

Hey, they're pretty good.

Lars
06-22-2006, 12:39 PM
I want to credit this thread (assuming its this one) for getting me to have another listen to some Dream Theater I downloaded and actually liking it more than whenever I had downloaded it and listened.

Jebus
06-22-2006, 12:44 PM
I want to credit this thread (assuming its this one) for getting me to have another listen to some Dream Theater I downloaded and actually liking it more than whenever I had downloaded it and listened.
cool, Dream Theate always sounds better the second time you listen to them for some reason. I hated them the first time I heard them.

Which songs did you download?

Lars
06-22-2006, 01:30 PM
Train of Thought album. Any other suggstions? I honestly don't/didn't even remember downloading this, but knew I had downloaded something.

Mannen som blev en gris
06-23-2006, 05:48 AM
Hey, they're pretty good.
Yeah! Congratulations Orphaned Land, you're the first death metal band I like!

Nineteen Seventy Nine
07-11-2006, 08:02 AM
I'm not sure if anyone knows/likes them, or if they are considered metal, but Shadows Fall dropped the new album today and it isn't half bad.

Lars
07-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Just to wonder, when did Dream Theater do these 'bootleg series' of Dark Side of the Moon and Number of the Beast.

Oh, and I hope something awesome comes out of the Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth), Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) and Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) project.

Yatesy
07-14-2006, 02:55 PM
Any one heard of the song Holy Diver by Dio? I've been listening to it so much over the past week or so, it's one of the best metal tracks I've ever heard.

Wolfmother
07-16-2006, 11:58 AM
i loved rust in peace it was one of my all time favourites do anyone here like pantera???

Athom
07-16-2006, 12:02 PM
I've only heard a few songs, but yes, I like them.

Wolfmother
07-16-2006, 12:13 PM
yeah if you like metal they are a good band but if you don't you arn't going to be able to listen to there music properly.

mrconeman
07-17-2006, 03:10 PM
ofck.
omg. omg. omg.
<3

Iron Maiden's new single.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNttRSMqOe0&feature=Favorites&page=1&t=t&f%20%20=b

Zack
07-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Does anyone here like As i lay dying??

dalaksta
07-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Does anyone here like As i lay dying??
Hell yeah! They're Christian but whatever...

07-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Well everyone likes PAntera, Cowboys from hell!!!

Mannen som blev en gris
07-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Any one heard of the song Holy Diver by Dio? I've been listening to it so much over the past week or so, it's one of the best metal tracks I've ever heard.
You should get the album then! I got it some weeks ago and I really like it. You may also want to check out some of the songs from the time he was in Sabbath, especially Heaven and Hell if you like Holy Diver.

And yes, new Maiden video! I didn't really like the song though. But Bruce was better than usual, imo.

Oh, and here's something I found on TMO:

According to Maidenfans.com, France's Rock Hard Magazine has issued a track by track review of the band's forthcoming album, A Matter Of Life And Death, including lyrical excerpts. It appears below in its entirety:

'Different Worlds':
"The shortest song of the album is a catchy tune, it should make a single, but that's still to be confirmed"

'These Colours Don't Run':
"Epic title, with percussive/thundering drum parts. This song will surely go down great live apart from a little feeling of 'already heard this.' A big break towards the end till when the song finishes in a calm way. This last part of soldiers: 'For the passion / For the glory / For the memories / For the money / You're a soldier / For your country/ What the difference / All the same'."

'Brighter Than A Thousand Suns':
"Dickinson starts with a soft voice and hot screaming or in high tone and this is a common thing for the album. A huge and crunchy rhtyhm almost in Metallica style, not common for Maiden sound. Galloping rhtyhm, Bruce sings with rage and power, then a little calm part and then again the song explodes again with a huge refrain, awesome on the final. Then solo on a galloping rhythm part just before a second solo on a more calm rhythm section. A complex song structure. A song that talks about nuclear explosion. 'Iron fingers stab the desert sky / How we made God with our hands'."

'The Pilgrim':
"Celtic intro on an almost thrash rhythm section. Rage riff of the guitars. A more direct song than the previous two, but without an immediate and easy listening chorus. It's not really one of those song with a direct chorus that people will sing at the gigs. Celtic final part."

'The Longest Day':
"Probably inspired by the film The Longest Day, this song taks about the Normandy in the second world war. The song begins with a huge bass intro building up always more powerfully. Gloomy and sad song. Nicko Mcbrain plays his drums like they are cannons while bruce things tells his horror tale: 'From paper soldiers / To bodies on the beach' or also 'The water is red / With the blood of the dead'. Then drum breaks à la 'Charlotte The Harlot'. This is a song that will be fantastic live and probably maiden will try a scenography on this similar to 'Paschendale' or in that style. Fanstastic songs, really stands out on the album."

'Out Of The Shadows':
"Heavy tempo at the beginning in a power heavy ballad stlye. One of the most likely song to be chosen as a single. *difficulties on translating this song following part* . Double guitar breaks (probably acoustic). Surprising song, very interesting."

'The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg':
"Dickinson talks about this as the first single. This song start with a long intro, narrative intro sang by Bruce: 'Let me tell you about my life/ Let me tell you about my dreams'. Really heavy and huge rhythm, quite unusual for Iron Maiden. This songs talks about the reincarnation and mediums. 'I'm able to see things / Things I don't want to see.'"

'For the Greater Good Of God':
"Typical epic songs made by Steve Harris, we find this kind of composition almost on every Iron Maiden album. A feeling of already known sound, represent classic 'Arry composition. Celtic chorus, long instrumental parts. This songs talks about religions' abuses and bad things: 'Religion has a lot to answer for' or also 'He gave his life for us/ He fell upon the cross (...) / Tell me why.'"

'Lord Of Light':
"Another calm beginning before the song really kicks in. Once again Bruce is more soft with his voice rather than in a high register in the first part of the song. The result of this song is outstanding, superb and the construction of the chorus can bring back that of 'Where Eagles Dare'."

'The Legacy':
"Long acoustic intro, calm voice by Bruce.When the rhythm kicks in it develops a Black Sabbath wall of sound, Dio era. Multiple vocal parts,another great songs that encourages to mutual respect, and opening spirits: 'Why can't we treat our fellow man / With more respect'."

General Conclusions:
"This is an album that is far superior to Dance Of Death and symbolize a great union in the band. This is composed of very long and epic songs, probably inspired by 'Paschendale''s success. The main themes are war, denounced on songs like 'These Colours Don't Run', 'The Longest Day' and 'The Legacy': 'Sent off to war / To play little games (...) / Some strange yellow gas / Has played with their minds / Has redemmed their eyes.' People who love long songs will be very satisfied, probably less those who like shorter songs. There are no immediate songs like 'Killers', 'Be Quick Or Be Dead', 'Run To The Hill's. With this Maiden shows great courage and prove once again that Iron Maiden do just what they want. The sequence of songs is well thought and the album is the right mix of tradition and modern sound. (special highlights are rhythm and riffs heavier than in the past and a less conventional and standard voice of a superlative Bruce Dickinson who experiments a lot - awesome).

This album will require more than one listen to be fully understood."

Jebus
07-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Train of Thought album. Any other suggstions? I honestly don't/didn't even remember downloading this, but knew I had downloaded something.
Train of Thought isn't probably my least favorite. They tried too hard to be "metal" and kind of drifted a bit from their usual style. It's still the album that got me into DT though.

I'd recommend you check out Scenes of a Memory first. It's an interesting concept album about regression (past lives). It's very well constructed so you probably want to listen to it starting from the first track to the last. Even if you're not into lyrics, there's a lot of awesome instrumental work.

My favorite album has to to be Images and Words. I didn't like it at first since it had too much of an 80s vibe, but now I think it's absolutlely perfect. Still check out Scenes of a Memory first because people never seem to like Images and Words when they're just getting into DT.

Just to wonder, when did Dream Theater do these 'bootleg series' of Dark Side of the Moon and Number of the Beast.

Oh, and I hope something awesome comes out of the Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth), Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) and Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) project
I can't remember when they started. They created their own little label (ytse jam) to relase and sell stuff like demos, live shows, and covers that couldn't make it into their official albums. They only have three cover albums though. The ones you mentioned and Master of Puppets. There's a live dvd for Dark Side of the Moon. I wish I had the money for it since DT DVDs are always great.

Yatesy
07-18-2006, 02:08 PM
You should get the album then! I got it some weeks ago and I really like it. You may also want to check out some of the songs from the time he was in Sabbath, especially Heaven and Hell if you like Holy Diver.

I've been looking for the album for some time, but no luck. =[ However I do actually have the Heaven & Hell album on my computer and after hearing it I immediately thought Dio Black Sabbath>Ozzy Black Sabbath. Not saying Ozzy is bad or anything, but Dio is just better.

Anyway, other metal bands I've been quite into at the moment include:

-Children Of Bodom, I've downloaded some of their stuff and it's fucking awesome. I love it!

-Mastodon, finally got hold of Leviathan and for some mad crazy reason, I haven't listened to it yet! I've only really listened to the first 2 tracks, but if I was to just go off them, it's a masterpiece. I'd recommend anyone to listen to I Am Ahab.

-The Dillinger Escape Plan, dunno if they really count seeing as I've only really been listening to the new Ep, the Justin timberlake cover is so funny! xD Also the live performance of The Perfect Design, crazy as fuck!

-Lacuna Coil, I don't think they're the greatest band in the world, but they're really catchy. I don't know what it is about it but the new album Karmacode has me hooked to 3 songs (Devoted, The Game and No Fear).

Oh and a final note on Dio, how fecking awesome is it when he sings LOOKOUT! =D

Vera
07-18-2006, 02:10 PM
I love Nightwish's "Wishmaster"'s lyrics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg5_mlQOsUQ

Yatesy
07-18-2006, 02:14 PM
LMAO! That makes me even more likely to listen to that album now! xD

Lars
07-18-2006, 02:18 PM
I'd recommend you check out Scenes of a Memory first. It's an interesting concept album about regression (past lives). It's very well constructed so you probably want to listen to it starting from the first track to the last. Even if you're not into lyrics, there's a lot of awesome instrumental work. Cool I'll check it out. Thanks.

My favorite album has to to be Images and Words. I didn't like it at first since it had too much of an 80s vibe, but now I think it's absolutlely perfect. Still check out Scenes of a Memory first because people never seem to like Images and Words when they're just getting into DT. I guess I'll check this out at some point too.

I can't remember when they started. They created their own little label (ytse jam) to relase and sell stuff like demos, live shows, and covers that couldn't make it into their official albums. They only have three cover albums though. The ones you mentioned and Master of Puppets. There's a live dvd for Dark Side of the Moon. I wish I had the money for it since DT DVDs are always great.Ah more information. I thought I saw they did a Master of Puppets one as well.

Mannen som blev en gris
07-18-2006, 04:11 PM
However I do actually have the Heaven & Hell album on my computer and after hearing it I immediately thought Dio Black Sabbath>Ozzy Black Sabbath. Not saying Ozzy is bad or anything, but Dio is just better.
No! Don't you ever say that again! You silly boy! But anyway, the album shouldn't be that hard to find, so keep looking!

Oh and a final note on Dio, how fecking awesome is it when he sings LOOKOUT! =D
Very! =D The world is spinning round and round and round....... LOOKOUT!

And slightly offtopic, but in Paris, Simple Plan is metal. =( True story, I was there. Sadly.

Jebus
07-18-2006, 04:23 PM
and oh yeah...

Oh, and I hope something awesome comes out of the Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth), Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) and Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) project
wtf? How come I never knew about this project. Seriously, this line up looks kickass. Where did you hear this?

All About Eve
07-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Train of Thought isn't probably my least favorite. They tried too hard to be "metal" and kind of drifted a bit from their usual style. It's still the album that got me into DT though.
My least favorite too, although I got it after some others. The only part of it that stands out to me is track two I think, that continues the multi-album multi-part song.

I'd recommend you check out Scenes of a Memory first. It's an interesting concept album about regression (past lives). It's very well constructed so you probably want to listen to it starting from the first track to the last. Even if you're not into lyrics, there's a lot of awesome instrumental work.
It's my favorite. Octavarium would also be a good place to start, I think, because These Walls was kind of far out and is what got me into Dream Theater in the first place.

My favorite album has to to be Images and Words. I didn't like it at first since it had too much of an 80s vibe, but now I think it's absolutlely perfect. Still check out Scenes of a Memory first because people never seem to like Images and Words when they're just getting into DT.I *love* Images and Words. If it weren't for the thoroughness of the perfect concept album that SfaM was, it would be my favorite. Pull Me Under, Take the Time, and Learning to Live are good songs to start out listening to as well, although I think you should go for a full album.

I can't remember when they started. They created their own little label (ytse jam) to relase and sell stuff like demos, live shows, and covers that couldn't make it into their official albums. They only have three cover albums though. The ones you mentioned and Master of Puppets. There's a live dvd for Dark Side of the Moon. I wish I had the money for it since DT DVDs are always great.
It was basically early 80s, because there really was no progressive before then. They got big in mid-late 80s at the start of the progression climb, along with the other big ones.

wtf? How come I never knew about this project. Seriously, this line up looks kickass. Where did you hear this?
I want to know about this too.

Edit: @ Vera: Nightwish is fucking awesome; Nemo is my favorite song, although I haven't heard much. Can you recommend some more, and tell me if it's true that they fired the female singer?

Edit2: Nightwish's keyboardist used to be in Sonata Arctica (I think).

bd007h
07-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Anyone like Protest The Hero?

Jebus
07-18-2006, 06:50 PM
It was basically early 80s, because there really was no progressive before then. They got big in mid-late 80s at the start of the progression climb, along with the other big ones.
I wasn't talking about the start of the band. I meant when they started making their official bootlegs.

Lars
07-19-2006, 12:13 AM
and oh yeah...

wtf? How come I never knew about this project. Seriously, this line up looks kickass. Where did you hear this?I went to the Opeth site and in the archived news bit it was there.

May
The rumoured collaboration between Mikael Åkerfeldt, Steven Wilson (Porcupine tree) and Mike Portnoy (Dream theater) will probably become reality in a near future. The project will maintain a low key and interviews will be sparse. This will be a sheer musical communion that its members wish to keep clear of the "supergroup" hype.

Opeth's "Ghost reveries" has been nominated in the "Album of the year 2005" category for UK's Metal Hammer magazine annual awards. The award is handed out on the 12 th of June at London Camden's "Koko".

In related news, Per Wiberg's heavy rock sensation Spiritual beggars have recently released a London taped live DVD entitled "Live fire". Recommended!

2006-05-12It's sort of like a, how could it ever go wrong line up.

Vera
07-19-2006, 03:31 AM
Edit: @ Vera: Nightwish is fucking awesome; Nemo is my favorite song, although I haven't heard much. Can you recommend some more, and tell me if it's true that they fired the female singer?

Sorry, I hate metal and don't know much about Nightwish, just enjoyed the video.

But yeh, they did fire the female singer, and are in the process of looking for a new one. It was a big news story like ..many months ago in here.

All About Eve
07-19-2006, 10:14 AM
That makes me sad. Her voice was great.

07-19-2006, 02:11 PM
"Master Dentist wishmaster"

i could recommend from Nightwish atleast

-wish i had an angel
-over the hills and far away
-dead to the world
-kinslayer
-planet hell
-sleeping sun

Yatesy
07-19-2006, 02:31 PM
"Master Dentist wishmaster"

i could recommend from Nightwish atleast

-wish i had an angel

NO! That song is the worst Nightwish song ever, it actually almost put me off listening to the band as a whole. I'd recommend the Oceanborn and Wishmaster albums as they're really good imo. I would listen to the song Devil & the Deep Dark Ocean.

Mannen som blev en gris
07-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Trivium suck! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNLDLyeepVs) Seriously, click it. It's hilarious. Seriously. "This.... LIME! LAWL!"

And I'll post these (again, because I love them so much) as well:
John Petrucci could teach anyone a thing or two... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evTTHS9hwvU)
Here's part 3. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pJ1ccnC1GI)
And here's part 4. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKMYeXkYcgs)

And if you're wondering where the first part is, I didn't post it because it isn't really that funny.

Oh, and in other news, Rhapsody have changed name. There were apparently some "copyright and trademark issues" so they changed to..... Rhapsody of Fire! Yeah, I know. Not really that original.
"The band members consider this a great new start, reflecting the emboldened and increasingly grandiose direction that their music has taken. “The power of the dragonflame will burn brighter than ever before,” says guitarist/songwriter Luca Turilli. Keyboardist/songwriter Alex Staropoli adds, “The name Rhapsody Of Fire better represents the energy that has always been present in this band and its music.”"

BULLSHIT! But whatever. They'll also release a new album September 25th, so September06 will be even better than I originally thought. 1. New Iron Maiden album. 2. New Blind Guardian album. 3. Blind Guardian concert. 4. New Rhapsody album. *insert headbanging devil smiley here*

Yatesy
07-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Trivium suck! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNLDLyeepVs) Seriously, click it. It's hilarious. Seriously. "This.... LIME! LAWL!"

I am here to ride bike! LMAO That was really funny, I was rolling around in laughted, quite literally. xD You should check out the BMFV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbqicjEboHc) one as well. That's quite good.

Anyway, I just want to make another note on how good Mastodon are. I listened to Leviathan last night and it's an amazing album. Not a singl weak track on there, but my favourite would proably have to be Iron Tusk. And if they were touring with Slayer in the UK, I'd go 'cause they also have Children of Bodom and In Flames supporting as well which is quite an awesome lin up.

Mannen som blev en gris
07-21-2006, 10:47 AM
Hah, yeah I saw the BFMV one too, but I didn't like it as much because you could actually hear the real words. But it was still funny.

Yatesy
07-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Hah, yeah I saw the BFMV one too, but I didn't like it as much because you could actually hear the real words. But it was still funny.

I found the bits that were taking the piss out of their looks and their nationality. best but overall a good clip.

H1T_That
07-21-2006, 11:06 AM
i generally find Trivium are trying to become the next Metallica, wheras B4MV are just kinda going with the flow doing their thing.

Yatesy
07-22-2006, 03:54 AM
B4MV are just kinda going with the flow doing their thing.

If you mean copying bands like Trivium as "your own thing" then yes, of course they are.

H1T_That
07-22-2006, 04:08 AM
If you mean copying bands like Trivium as "your own thing" then yes, of course they are.

I'd say they bands are very different.

and, correct me if im wrong, but havent B4MV been around longer than Trivium?

Lars
07-22-2006, 04:33 AM
I highly doubt it. Bullet for my valentine got signed after only performing a handful of shows.

thewalrus
07-22-2006, 09:34 AM
Arch Enemy, anyone?

yepp. And never forget bands like In Flames, Dark Tranquillity and Suidakra, I love them. The In Flames gig i've been to in Cologne was one of the best concerts I've ever seen - and I've seen a lot of them.

H1T_That
07-22-2006, 12:05 PM
I highly doubt it. Bullet for my valentine got signed after only performing a handful of shows.

Bullet were signed 1999, Trivium were signed 2000.

Lars
07-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Bullet were signed 1999, Trivium were signed 2000. I'm curious where you got this information. The few sources I googled didn't giveme that for Bullet.

They changed their name from "Jeff Killed John" to "Bullet For My Valentine" to accompany Matthew's new dark lyrics. The band later signed a deal with Sony Records via Visible Noise in October 2004.

H1T_That
07-22-2006, 01:00 PM
the bio on their official site, says something on the lines of 'for the past 7 years now' or something like that, which would make it 1999.

Yatesy
07-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Does it really matter when they got signed? The bottom line is, BMFV are shit.

H1T_That
07-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Does it really matter when they got signed? The bottom line is, BMFV are shit.

Yeah, actually it does seen as we were discussing who copied who.

Yatesy
07-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Yeah, actually it does seen as we were discussing who copied who.

Doesn't make them different from each other.

H1T_That
07-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Doesn't make them different from each other.

I seriously don't see what fucking point you're trying to put across here.

Yatesy
07-28-2006, 09:37 AM
I seriously don't see what fucking point you're trying to put across here.

I made it quite clear a few posts ago....

The bottom line is, BMFV are shit.

I'm just getting my opinion across, that is all.

H1T_That
07-29-2006, 04:41 AM
Fair enough then. I however thought we were originally discussing who copied who.

07-30-2006, 03:11 AM
Ok lets change the topic from thos Nu-metal bands to real metal, what do you think about Anthrax, I just started listening to it and their music is great, even that they are 25 years old band their newest records still rock!

Yatesy
07-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Anyone like Opeth? I brought their album Deliverance the other day on an impulse and I'm really glad I did, it's Death metal with Progressive bits in. Definitely one of the best metal albums I've brought in recent times.

Lars
07-30-2006, 04:13 PM
They put on a killer show the last time I saw them, before RoadRunner started their Ghost Reveries PR campaign. Still Life is my favorite still, The Moor being my favorite track on it.

They're playing at the Roundhouse in London/Camden later in the year, should be good, didn't realise it was open for gigs until I saw that.

Lars
07-31-2006, 07:51 AM
Because we had some talk about Dream Theater in there I think it's appropriate:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MefjovJJr-0&mode=related&search=

and check the others by the same guy.

Yatesy
08-01-2006, 01:26 PM
I remember someone in this thread mentioning the band Jesu. I've been getting into them a lot recently but I only have one song by them. =[ So yeah, anyone else heard of them?

Lars
08-01-2006, 04:26 PM
That'd be me. Justin K Broadrick from them was in (what my friend said) the good years of Napalm Death. He was also in Godflesh, which is in a similar vein as Jesu that same friend has told me. I've been meaning to get some Godflesh but still haven't.

I love the newest Jesu EP called Silver.

Tired Of Me (http://www.hippieburner.com/bbs/jesu/03%20Tired%20Of%20Me.mp3) off Jesu
Star (http://www.hippieburner.com/bbs/jesu/02%20Star.mp3) off Silver

I had a hard time picking a song of Silver because I'm really unsure which one I think is the best, but I picked this one.

pretty fly 88
08-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Metallica is the best heavy metal band ever. Judas Priest is good, too.

H1T_That
08-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Can someone who knows what they are talking about please define 'Heavy Metal' to me. Because what i class as heavy metal isnt Metallica.

ThrashedThrasher
08-02-2006, 12:01 AM
Meh, Children of Bodom have sadly taken the turn into pit of popularity in the US and will soon become a shit band, much like Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir. Though I still enjoy CoB and Dimmu, their recent albums haven't really tickled my fancy...

So has anyone had the pleasure to hear these bands?

Myrkgrav?
Summoning?
Vital Remains?
Behexen?
Myrkskog? (Yes, different than Myrkgrav)
1349? (Going to see them October 1st with Celtic Frost and Sahg!)
Wolves in the Throne Room?
Hate Eternal?

Just a few bands that I see on my playlist at the moment.

pretty fly 88
08-02-2006, 04:56 AM
Can someone who knows what they are talking about please define 'Heavy Metal' to me. Because what i class as heavy metal isnt Metallica.
I don't know the exact definition of "Heavy Metal," but come on. Since when have Metallica ever been classified as anything besides heavy metal?

H1T_That
08-02-2006, 04:59 AM
I don't know the exact definition of "Heavy Metal," but come on. Since when have Metallica ever been classified as anything besides heavy metal?

I'd class them as 'Metal', as they aren't really that heavy.

pretty fly 88
08-02-2006, 05:02 AM
I'd class them as 'Metal', as they aren't really that heavy.
They seem heavier than any other band I've ever heard.

Yatesy
08-02-2006, 07:38 AM
Meh, Children of Bodom have sadly taken the turn into pit of popularity in the US and will soon become a shit band, much like Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir. Though I still enjoy CoB and Dimmu, their recent albums haven't really tickled my fancy...

I rather enjoyed Are You Dead Yet? by Bodom, ok that's if you exclude the bad cover they shoved on at the end of it. However, I'll agree it isn't their best album. As for Cradle of Filth, were they ever good? xD Never been a fan of them really. I haven't heard much by Dimmu Bogir so any recommendations?

Oh, Lars thanks for the Jesu uplaods. =D Just downloading them now.

Oh and to the person who said Metallica are the best Heavy Metal band in the world, they really are overrated.

Oh and on a final note, In Flames latest album is great, much better than Soundtrack to Your Escape.

08-02-2006, 11:55 AM
I think the new COB album has some great songs like In your face,Punch me i bleed and are you dead yet? but the other songs aren't special, i like the Hate crew death roll album most, Cradle of filth i haven't been listening much but atleast from cradle to enslave and Sleepless are good songs, Dimmu is just a joke but Mourning palace song is a fucking classic!

Metallica is Heavy metal, but their old stuff was trash metal! not every song has to be rough and fast that the bands genre would be heavy metal.

H1T_That
08-02-2006, 12:00 PM
They seem heavier than any other band I've ever heard.

Metallica are the heaviest band you've ever heard?

...surely not?

H1T_That
08-02-2006, 12:01 PM
I think the new COB album has some great songs like In your face,Punch me i bleed and are you dead yet? but the other songs aren't special, i like the Hate crew death roll album most, Cradle of filth i haven't been listening much but atleast from cradle to enslave and Sleepless are good songs, Dimmu is just a joke but Mourning palace song is a fucking classic!

Metallica is Heavy metal, but their old stuff was trash metal! not every song has to be rough and fast that the bands genre would be heavy metal.

that CoB album isnt exactly new, although it is their most recent one.

Yatesy
08-02-2006, 12:42 PM
I think the new COB album has some great songs like In your face,Punch me i bleed and are you dead yet? but the other songs aren't special, i like the Hate crew death roll album most

Hmm I thought Punch Me I Bleed was the worst track but I do agree Hate Crew Death Roll is better.

All About Eve
08-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Recent CoB has disappointed me. All the great keyboards and other instrumental mixtures they used to use have gone downhill majorly.

pretty fly 88
08-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Metallica are the heaviest band you've ever heard?

...surely not?
Well, they're the heaviest band I can think of.

All About Eve
08-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Well, they're the heaviest band I can think of.

Metallica and Judas Priest are the best metal bands I can think of.
Either you have brain damage, or you've never been exposed to any metal ever. Listen to some of the bands mentioned in this thread.

pretty fly 88
08-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Either you have brain damage, or you've never been exposed to any metal ever. Listen to some of the bands mentioned in this thread.
It must be the 2nd one, because I don't recognize any of the bands being mentioned in this thread.

All About Eve
08-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Listen to them!

Yatesy
08-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Recent CoB has disappointed me. All the great keyboards and other instrumental mixtures they used to use have gone downhill majorly.

I guess they're trying to make it more accessible. =\ Anyway one new album that doesn't disappoint is Napalm Deaths new album Smear Campaign, repetitive but then again anything under Grindcore is naturally is. xD To the person who wrote Metallica were the heaviest band they could think of should listen to this band and seriously reconsider. xD

08-07-2006, 02:12 PM
I saw last night Children of bodom live in Ankkarock it was great they played the best songs from the newest album like In your face,are you dead yet and living dead beat, and offcourse all the hits, they were the main act of the festival

All About Eve
08-07-2006, 04:42 PM
I hate grindcore.

Yatesy
08-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Anyone who like Children of Bodom should check out this band Profugus Mortis (http://myspace.com/profugusmortis). Like Bodom...with violin shredding! xD

H1T_That
08-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Anyone checked out the new slayer album?

Pretty good so far i think. Favourite track is Jihad.

Autonomist
08-12-2006, 05:21 AM
Anthrax is very good. Agree?

Mannen som blev en gris
08-12-2006, 10:17 AM
"MANOWAR is back with an October 2006 release of a new single "The Sons Of Odin" followed by a full length DVD containing the historic EarthShaker Fest 2005 performance this November.

Fans can soon expect more details about the release date of the new studio album entitled "Gods Of War."

Watch for more updates."

:cool: Finally some news!

Aaaaaaanyway, you can now listen to two songs from the new Iron Maiden album: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns (http://www.ironmaiden.com/article.php?section=1&subsection=1&article_type=&article_id=1344) and Different World (http://www.ironmaiden.com/article.php?section=1&subsection=1&article_type=&article_id=1343). They both sound pretty good, but Bruce's voice is just... =( Even more "=(" than usual. I still think it'll be a good album though.

Yatesy
08-12-2006, 11:12 AM
I haven't heard anything by Manowar and I feel like I'm missing out son something, so yeah (album-wise) where is a good place to start?

Mannen som blev en gris
08-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Hah, um... Well, Sign of the Hammer is good. Warriors of the World is damn good as well.

08-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Anthrax isn't just good, they are great :D

Manic Subsidal Boy
08-13-2006, 03:58 AM
Megadeth are pretty rad, Peace Sells... But whos buying? is great so is rust in peace

mrconeman
08-14-2006, 07:39 AM
Iron Maiden now have another two songs from the new album up on their website, and I gotta say, their fucking awesome, listen, like right now.
www.ironmaiden.com

Tigger Army
08-14-2006, 09:58 AM
I haven't heard anything by Manowar and I feel like I'm missing out son something, so yeah (album-wise) where is a good place to start?

well you miss a few good solos and an aweful amount of worthless lyrics.

As for Children of Bodom I really LOVE their first album and a handful of songs from the next two albums but the last two albums were rather crappy in my opinion.

Anyone into stuff like
Borknagar or Arcturus?
Or black metal?
or decent powermetal like Sonata Arctica or Symphorce?

Yatesy
08-14-2006, 11:32 AM
Or black metal?

Yes, I rather like Black metal, the best Black Metal band has to be Venom, they're just awesome, I also rather like Darkthrone.

08-14-2006, 01:05 PM
i think that best bodom albums are hatebreeder and Hate crew death roll, Venom is pretty good black metal band, countless bathelory and to hell and back are good songs. Arch enemy is also a good Black/deathmetal band.

Yatesy
08-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Hmm I never thought of Arch Enemy as Black Metal, more like Melodic Death Metal imo but yeah Arch Enemy are still a very good band, shame the current vocalist is now the scariest woman on the planet. xD

08-15-2006, 12:57 PM
i think the woman is pretty good looking, but i don't alway like her "singing"
yeah arch enemy is more like melodic death metal, they are really skilled players.

ThrashedThrasher
08-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Yes, I rather like Black metal, the best Black Metal band has to be Venom, they're just awesome, I also rather like Darkthrone.

Whoa, Venom were like a complete black metal joke, they weren't even that good! Not meaning to bash upon your opinion and such, but come on. There were and are much better black metal bands than fucking Venom.

Manic Subsidal Boy
08-16-2006, 05:25 AM
Iron Maiden now have another two songs from the new album up on their website, and I gotta say, their fucking awesome, listen, like right now.
www.ironmaiden.com

For The Greater Good Of God featured on the Iron Maiden is real different compared to The Reincarnation Of Ben Breeg, Different World and Brighter Than A Thousand Suns. For The Greater Good Of God starts to get really heavy after 4 minutes, quite different for Maiden. Personally I'm really fond of this song, just wonder what inspired Maiden while writting the song.

Up The Irons!!!

Yatesy
08-16-2006, 09:40 AM
Whoa, Venom were like a complete black metal joke, they weren't even that good! Not meaning to bash upon your opinion and such, but come on. There were and are much better black metal bands than fucking Venom.

Ummm no, I don't really agree with you.

Lars
08-16-2006, 05:22 PM
I saw Palehorse (http://www.myspace.com/thispalehorse) tonight. Was good. Also supporting was Red Stars Parade (http://www.myspace.com/redstarsparade). I wanted to buy their (RSP) 12" on red splattered vinyl but it sold out.

All About Eve
08-16-2006, 06:05 PM
I'm going to upload a lot of metal stuff later. It'll school you mofos in what good metal is. This thread is full of fail up to this point.

ThrashedThrasher
08-17-2006, 10:30 AM
*shakes head*
Metal is not a good thing to discuss in an Offspring forum...Meh

08-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Good metal is

-Metallica
-Slayer
-Anthrax
-Kreator
-Exodus
-Iron maiden
-Apocalyptica
-Nightwish
-Stam1na
-Korn
-Slipknot
-System of a down
-Drowning pool
-Diablo
-Sentenced
-Pantera
-Rammstein
-Rob Zombie
-Danzig
-Arch enemy
-Children of bodom
-Venom
-Black sabbath

....now you can see that metal is a great thing

Yatesy
08-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Good metal is

-Korn
-Slipknot
-System of a down
-Drowning pool
-Rammstein
-Rob Zombie
....now you can see that metal is a great thing

Not with those bands you've mentioned.

Tigger Army
08-17-2006, 12:31 PM
*shakes head*
Metal is not a good thing to discuss in an Offspring forum...Meh

Why wouldn't it be?

ThrashedThrasher
08-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Why wouldn't it be?

Because chances are they pay attention only to the more popular black metal/death metal bands and not those that are not in the spot light. I listed some in a previous post and nobody said shit. Hell, if someone wants me to I'll even upload some songs and put the links on here.

Some of the people that have posted in here do not even know what black metal and death metal is. Or any of the various other kinds of metal there are.

All About Eve
08-17-2006, 07:29 PM
Ayreon - Dawn of a Million Souls (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=2167342928B1585F) Awesome prog/power metal band, less orchestral than Rhapsody, but sort of in those lines. I much prefer Ayreon to Rhapsody as well.

Your first awesome song! Download it and be free! I'll edit some more in later.

Edits:

Sonata Arctica - Blinded No More (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=FD30C045768644D8)
Sonata Arctica is awesome and everyone knows I love them.

Sonata Arctica - Fullmoon (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=FC3456132F341BBF)
Quite possibly the best metal song ever.

Queensryche - Revolution Calling (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=46BC1C6F263744C6)
Part of a concept album, but great on its own still. A little more on the heavy metal side.

Mannen som blev en gris
08-18-2006, 05:32 AM
Blind Guardian - A Past and Future Secret (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=8507615407FAA6AB) I didn't know which BG song I should upload, so I just picked this one. It's very sweet and it's pretty cool too.

Manowar - Dark Avenger (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=5EEF6E4659028D6B) I want to know how people can call Manowar bad after having heard this song. And yes, that is Orson Welles speaking! He's on another Manowar song as well, called Defender.

Iron Maiden - Lightning Strikes Twice (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=BF525ACF58391384) They say the album this song is on (Virtual XI) is the worst Iron Maiden album.... I disagree. How can a band's worst album have some of their best songs on it? And the best singer? Hm.... Anyway, listen to it and see what you think.

Iced Earth - Brainwashed (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=99AD3D5901E1F179) Well, since Mr Nightbringer isn't here, I'll have to do the Iced Earth whoring. Brainwashed. From Burnt Offerings. One of the best songs on the album. Listen.

The Eve that it's all about: Ayreon... reminds me of that Symphony X song... Too proggy. It's not as "big" as Rhapsody [of Fire... grr], it's more robotic. Basically, it's prog. Sonata Arctica is... well, I don't really see what's so good about them. Not bad though.
And that Queensryche song actually sounded like something from a musical. Jesus Christ Superstar - Mindcrime edition. Ha. I need to get that CD someday though. Everyone says it's the best concept album in the world and blah blah... But I don't like the band, so... hm.

H1T_That
08-18-2006, 05:37 AM
Hell, if someone wants me to I'll even upload some songs and put the links on here.

Go for it.

Tigger Army
08-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Ayreon
Sonata Arctica

Ha, I basically introduced Sonata Arctica to this site. Very good indeed

Ayreon is not really a band btw, it's a solo project by Arjen Lucassen who's also known as the leader of a couple of other projects such as star one. His CDs cost a fortune over here though :-/

Edit:
Trashedtrasher, I do see your point when I read the lists on this page though there is some decent quality amongst those already famous acts. Besides, it's a nice way to start with famous acts such as Cradle of Filth or Dimmu Borgir. It introduces you to the 'smaller' acts such as Gorgoroth, Sear Bliss, Fluisterwoud or Onheil.

Or at least I can dream more people are like me and get deeper into musical genres then just the tip of the iceberg...

DeAtHsTaR
08-18-2006, 11:16 AM

HAHAHA, you've never heard Ride the Lightning. Go download Fight Fire with Fire and tell me that isn't heavy.

All About Eve
08-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Ha, I basically introduced Sonata Arctica to this site. Very good indeed

Ayreon is not really a band btw, it's a solo project by Arjen Lucassen who's also known as the leader of a couple of other projects such as star one. His CDs cost a fortune over here though :-/

Well, considering they have multiple cds, and generally consistent members, yes they are a band. Saying they're not a band is like saying Liquid Tension isn't a band or James LaBrie's solo album isn't music.

All About Eve
08-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Speaking of James LaBrie:

James LaBrie - Alone (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=713A82FD0D936F8B)
Dream Theater's vocalist; it's not too much like Dream Theater though.

Kaipa - Folke's Final Decision (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=D3A0BA996F6F2EC1)
Here's one you probably haven't heard. Great instrumental.

Master Plan - Falling Sparrow (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=B8AC52EA40A053E7)
*If anyone has "Wounds" by Masterplan, I would very much like that song.

Yatesy
08-18-2006, 02:22 PM
Because chances are they pay attention only to the more popular black metal/death metal bands and not those that are not in the spot light. I listed some in a previous post and nobody said shit. Hell, if someone wants me to I'll even upload some songs and put the links on here.

Tbh I've only really been listening to Black/Death Metal as much as I do recently, so yeah I am going to listen to the more well known acts first, if you upload some stuff I will listen to it. So far I've only downloaded stuff uploaded by Mannen som blev en gris and so far so good.

Tigger Army
08-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Well, considering they have multiple cds, and generally consistent members, yes they are a band. Saying they're not a band is like saying Liquid Tension isn't a band or James LaBrie's solo album isn't music.

Well I wouldn't call James LaBrie music since I REALLY dislike his vocals :D Infact he is the only reason I don't like dream theater.

Besides that, the countless amount of vocalists on especially the human equation doesn't really make it a band that could possibly tour.

oh uhm y.... something. Some black metal links for you:

Black metal on metalfan.nl (http://www.metalfan.nl/forum/music_cat.php?cat_id=4)

Jebus
08-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Ayreon - Dawn of a Million Souls Awesome prog/power metal band, less orchestral than Rhapsody, but sort of in those lines. I much prefer Ayreon to Rhapsody as well.

That's really good. I actually download a couple Ayreon albums a while ago but they're on my other hard drive and I never got a chance to listen to them. I gotta go look for them.

Well I wouldn't call James LaBrie music since I REALLY dislike his vocals :D Infact he is the only reason I don't like dream theater.[/URL]
what? You don't like Labrie's vocals but you do like the vocals for Stratovarious?

All About Eve
08-18-2006, 09:11 PM
Wow, with finishing with Black Metal, Tigger Army just reached the summit of Mt. Fail.

Edit: Jebus, check your PMs plz.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-18-2006, 09:19 PM
I dunno, I still remember way back on the old board when Tigger Army posted a ton. He was pretty much the board's supreme metalhead back then. Funnily enough, that's all I remember about him.

mrconeman
08-18-2006, 09:31 PM
lolz@ Mt.Fail.

All About Eve
08-18-2006, 10:39 PM
I was never on the old boards. As far as I'm concerned, he hates James LaBrie.

Mannen som blev en gris
08-20-2006, 10:22 AM
Falconer. What do people here think about Falconer? You can download a couple of songs from http://www.falconermusic.com/ (go to Discology). It's Power Metal (swedish), with a bit of folk/viking melodies. Very very very good, in my opinion. I discovered them today actually. I need their self-titled... as soon as possible.

So far I've only downloaded stuff uploaded by Mannen som blev en gris and so far so good.
Really? What did you think about it?

Yatesy
08-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Really? What did you think about it?

The Iced Earth song was great, great to the extent I needed to download an album by them, however it's stuck on 99.98% the bastard! Manowar track was also awesome, especially the end bit. The Blind Guardian track is good but probably my least favorite out of the lot. I didn't download the Maiden track as I'm not really to fond of them.

H1T_That
08-20-2006, 04:21 PM
HAHAHA, you've never heard Ride the Lightning. Go download Fight Fire with Fire and tell me that isn't heavy.

I have Ride the Lightening, and its not what i class as heavy.

Mannen som blev en gris
08-22-2006, 09:26 AM
The Iced Earth song was great, great to the extent I needed to download an album by them, however it's stuck on 99.98% the bastard! Manowar track was also awesome, especially the end bit. The Blind Guardian track is good but probably my least favorite out of the lot. I didn't download the Maiden track as I'm not really to fond of them.
Which album was/is it? The Dark Saga, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Burnt Offerings, they're all damn good. Horror Show and The Glorious Burden have some good songs, but as albums, they're not as good as their earlier stuff. I still haven't heard their two first though...

And no one has any opinions about Falconer? =( What? You do?! Well, why don't you say something then!
(PS http://www.falconermusic.com/ )

Yatesy
08-22-2006, 12:15 PM
I'm still on The Glorious Burden but it's still stuck, this is the ultimate piss take.

Corpse
08-22-2006, 12:22 PM
I have Ride the Lightening, and its not what i class as heavy.

I think one of the heaviest songs Metallica have done is The Thing That Should Not Be.

Llamas
08-22-2006, 01:39 PM
I do not like metallica. I love iron maiden and fifth angel from that genre of music.

H1T_That
08-22-2006, 03:28 PM
I think one of the heaviest songs Metallica have done is The Thing That Should Not Be.

Maybe, but I still do not class Metallica as 'heavy' one bit.

All About Eve
08-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Did anyone download my songs?

Jebus
08-23-2006, 09:20 AM
Maybe, but I still do not class Metallica as 'heavy' one bit.
ummm...Metallica is one of the most standard heavy metal bands out there. Even wiki says they're heavy.

Corpse
08-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Even wiki says they're heavy.

Well that seals the deal then :p . Bloody hell, wiki has Limp Bizkit down as Heavy Metal.

In all seriousness though, Metallica are one of the heaviest bands out there. Heavy doesn't have to mean loud, fast, screaming lyrics. That is why I love The Thing That Should Not Be.

Yatesy
08-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Did anyone download my songs?

I did, I particularly like the tracks by Sonata Arctica.

Mannen som blev en gris
08-23-2006, 10:46 AM
I'm still on The Glorious Burden but it's still stuck, this is the ultimate piss take.
That sucks... Like I said, it's not their best album, but the last track (actually, it's a trilogy, but I still see it and listen to it as one song), Gettysburg 1863, is definitely one of their best. I think Jon (-Schaffer, guitarist, songwriter) even said it's the best thing he's ever written. But they have a new singer on that album (Matt Barlow quit after 9/11. He's now a police officer). Anyway, the name of that dude is Tim Owens, and he was on two Judas Priest albums in the 90's. A good singer, but I liked Barlow more.

... so did anyone listen to Falconer?

TheUnholyNightbringer
08-23-2006, 06:29 PM
The Burden's a good album, 4 srs. I prefer SWTWC to be honest, though.

Right, a nice injection of Opera metal for you fackers. Therion for the yay!

Right, Savefile won't work. Tomorrow!

Mannen som blev en gris
08-25-2006, 02:18 PM
The Burden's a good album, 4 srs. I prefer SWTWC to be honest, though.
I (http://www.falconermusic.com/mp3/5.zip) never (http://www.falconermusic.com/mp3/6.zip) said (http://www.falconermusic.com/mp3/3.zip) it (http://www.falconermusic.com/mp3/4.zip) wasn't (http://www.falconermusic.com/mp3/1.zip) a (http://www.falconermusic.com/mp3/2.zip) good (http://www.falconermusic.com/mp3/5.zip) album (http://www.falconermusic.com/mp3/6.zip) ;) (http://www.falconermusic.com/mp3/3.zip) But (http://www.falconermusic.com/mp3/4.zip) it's (http://www.falconermusic.com/mp3/1.zip) not (http://www.falconermusic.com/mp3/2.zip) better (http://www.falconermusic.com/mp3/5.zip) than (http://www.falconermusic.com/mp3/6.zip) The (http://www.falconermusic.com/mp3/3.zip) Dark (http://www.falconermusic.com/mp3/4.zip) Saga. (http://www.falconermusic.com/mp3/1.zip)

"wuts he doin???? :confused: is he speaking wit hyperlinks????? :confused:"
Yes, yes I am speaking with hyperlinks. Why? Because people need to listen to Falconer! This song (http://www.falconermusic.com/mp3/1.zip), for example. Or maybe this one. (http://www.falconermusic.com/mp3/2.zip) One thing's for sure: I love them. And you should too.

Anyway, new day, new band. Here's Sabaton. (http://music.download.com/sabaton/3600-8667-100130831.html?tag=MDL_quickurl) Listen to Primo Victoria, it'll do you good. And maybe some Falconer (http://www.falconermusic.com/mp3/3.zip) as well.

Seriously though, both bands are great. Sabaton is like Heavy(/Power) metal, but it's not that faggy power metal. "Through the gates of Hell, as we make our way to Heaven, through the Nazi lines. Primo Victoria." \m/ "On the 6th of june, on the shores of Western Europe, 1944. D-day upon us" Hell, I could quote the whole song, because it's very.... awesome.

Listen to this too. (http://www.barbaricmetal.com/sounds/march_on.mp3) Barbaric Metal. Ironsword - March On. Note the id3 tag. It's a cool song, listen.

Oh, and by the way, is it just me, or is Evergrey about 25 times better than any other progressive metal band? In the world? Ever? And could this be because their music is actually enjoyable?

Tigger Army
08-25-2006, 03:52 PM
Heavy doesn't have to mean loud, fast, screaming lyrics. That is why I love The Thing That Should Not Be.

Infact there is nothing loud or screamy about heavy metal, hell the stuff isn't heavy at all. If you want heavy you should listen to death metal (though I prefer not to do that)

Tigger Army
08-25-2006, 03:56 PM
I dunno, I still remember way back on the old board when Tigger Army posted a ton. He was pretty much the board's supreme metalhead back then. Funnily enough, that's all I remember about him.
ah but you do remember me, that's a start. What was your old nick, maybe I remember you better

Mannen som blev en gris
08-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Infact there is nothing loud or screamy about heavy metal, hell the stuff isn't heavy at all.
Don't say that... because that's a lie. And no one likes a lier. :) Anyway, heavy metal IS heavy, if you compare it to other genres. Nowadays we're used to it, and metal that was heavy in the 70s and 80s isn't necessarily considered heavy, loud and screamy today, but that's simply because we're used to it. Opera music can be loud and screamy as well though, but it's the same with that - we're used to it so we don't really think about it.

Tigger Army
08-26-2006, 02:43 PM
fair enough opera and metal can be loud but I can't seriously call opera screamish. Granted, some heavy metal singers still have something screamish but when I think of screaming I think of Black metal, death metal, grindcore or hardcore in the vein of Nerve Agents and American Nightmare for example

Then again some people called the beetles screamish....

As for the heaviness of Heavy metal well yes I was obviously exagerating, but compared to a lot of (often crappy) bands in genres like I mentioned above it's not that heavy.

mrconeman
08-28-2006, 05:34 AM
I'm leaving to go and get Iron Maiden's new album after I post this, expect my opinion on it after I have it, and have listened to it.

H1T_That
08-28-2006, 05:40 AM
ummm...Metallica is one of the most standard heavy metal bands out there. Even wiki says they're heavy.

Well, i'm taking my personal opinion over what wikipedia and the rest of you think.

Jebus
08-28-2006, 06:42 AM
I mean jeez, heavy metal isn't really suppose be as "heavy" as what you're probably thinking. What bands do you think are heavy metal? ...cause I'm almost postive you're using a misinformed definition of heavy metal. Other than the thrash elements in their music, they're mostly a standard heavy metal band.

Corpse
08-28-2006, 07:29 AM
His idea of heavy is probably a band like Slipknot. (Whom I do happen to like, unlike most.)

Jebus
08-28-2006, 11:28 PM
So I just ordered pre-ordered Dream Theater's Score DVD from amazon. Hopefully it'll come on thursday since I got 2-day shipping. That orchestra set list should be pretty sweet.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GIWS7E/sr=8-2/qid=1156832537/ref=sr_1_2/104-6893168-3791969?ie=UTF8

I might also get the Gigantour DVD if I manage to save some money.

H1T_That
08-29-2006, 06:37 AM
I mean jeez, heavy metal isn't really suppose be as "heavy" as what you're probably thinking. What bands do you think are heavy metal? ...cause I'm almost postive you're using a misinformed definition of heavy metal. Other than the thrash elements in their music, they're mostly a standard heavy metal band.

Come to think of it, i'm probably assigning my idea of heavy to the wrong defenition.

When i think of "heavy" i think about bands like The Black Dahlia Murder, Autopsy, Dying Fetus etc. But now i think about it, they aren't really metal at all.

I now stand corrected and say i agree that bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden etc are heavy metal bands. However, its not my idea of "heavy" music.

See bands above for my idea of what "heavy" is.

Tigger Army
08-29-2006, 08:43 AM
Come to think of it, i'm probably assigning my idea of heavy to the wrong defenition.

When i think of "heavy" i think about bands like The Black Dahlia Murder, Autopsy, Dying Fetus etc. But now i think about it, they aren't really metal at all.

I now stand corrected and say i agree that bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden etc are heavy metal bands. However, its not my idea of "heavy" music.

See bands above for my idea of what "heavy" is.

What you call heavy is largely metalcore and death metal as far as I know.

H1T_That
08-29-2006, 03:24 PM
What you call heavy is largely metalcore and death metal as far as I know.

Yeah, you're probably right.

Tigger Army
08-29-2006, 03:25 PM
that doesn't mean it can still kick ass though ;)

Jebus
09-01-2006, 08:23 PM
So I watched Score yesterday. AAE, go buy it now! Only 15 bucks at amazon.

I thought it had a pretty shitty set list when I first read it, but watching DT play it made me change my mind. For example, I always skipped Sacrifised Sons from Octavarium, but holy shit, it was freaken of awesome on the DVD. I also don't mind that they didn't play some of my favorites since they pretty much covered everything In Live in Budokan and Metropolis 200.

TBH, I didn't notice that the orchestra half the time. The band overpowered them the majority of the time, but when you did hear them, it was great!

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-01-2006, 08:28 PM
How many Tribute albums have there been for METALLICA?

Mannen som blev en gris
09-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Right, a nice injection of Opera metal for you fackers. Therion for the yay!

Right, Savefile won't work. Tomorrow!

I'd like to know your definition of "tomorrow", facker. I need some Therion. There was a song on Metalstorm (http://www.gargoyledawn.com/msr/playing.php?buster=21053616793) (great online radio thing) last night, but I didn't really pay much attention to it.

For those of you who thought I was going to stop whoring bands, you're wrong. Time for two more bands!

Firstly, Moonlyght. A Canadian Death Metal-ish band with a bit of folk and other genres thrown in. It's really hard to say what genre they are, since they're a bit of everything. I really like this song though: Moonlyght - Fantasy (http://www.moonlyght.ca/Moonlyght%20-%20Fantasy.mp3)

Wuthering Heights. Basically the only good Danish band. It's like Progressive Folky Power Metal, or something. Now listen!
Wuthering Heights - The Nevershining Stones (http://www.wuthering-heights.dk/sounds/the_nevershining_stones.mp3)

Wuthering Heights - The Road Goes Ever On (http://www.wuthering-heights.dk/sounds/the_road_goes_ever_on.mp3) (not very complicated, but damn catchy)

Wuthering Heights - Sorrow in Memoriam (http://www.wuthering-heights.dk/sounds/sorrow_in_memoriam.mp3)

And for fuck's sake... listen!

Tigger Army
09-09-2006, 01:24 PM
http://www.thedustconnection.com/video/The%20Dust%20Connection%20-%20The%20Grand%20Final.wmv

a video by the band The dust connection (progressive metal). The video itself isn't too great but I really like the song. They should make an album sometime though I have their demo for years and it's great.

All About Eve
09-09-2006, 01:35 PM
I have some Therion Dave sent me.

Therion - Lemuria (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=620B3BFF7ED7B4BC)
Therion - To Mega Therion (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=AEEEA7F041C16E7F)

Mannen som blev en gris
09-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Great, thanks! I'm still not sure what I think of them though, I guess I have to dig a little deeper.

IAmARevenant
09-11-2006, 06:05 PM
I hate the metal of today. metal is dead in my eyes.

Tigger Army
09-11-2006, 10:52 PM
I hate the metal of today. metal is dead in my eyes.

why would you say/think that?

09-12-2006, 09:21 AM
heard of Exodus or Kreator?

Jebus
09-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Firstly, Moonlyght. A Canadian Death Metal-ish band with a bit of folk and other genres thrown in. It's really hard to say what genre they are, since they're a bit of everything. I really like this song though: Moonlyght - Fantasy (http://www.moonlyght.ca/Moonlyght%20-%20Fantasy.mp3)
I just listened to this and it definitely gets my approval. Rejoice.

Mannen som blev en gris
09-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Yesss! I thought it seemed you-ish, if you know what I mean.
More downloads here: http://www.moonlyght.ca/downloads.htm

dysLEXIa
09-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Grew up with metal, it's awesome. I reallythink there should be more bands out there nowadays, instead of bands like Lamb of God and everything. Their music rocks, but the voice just kills it in my mind. The classic stuff is what is the best and I don't know why people aren't being influenced by that stuff (Minus Wolfmother and Avenged Sevenfold ^_^).

Jebus
09-16-2006, 11:32 AM
meh, I didn't really like any of the Wuthering Height ones. They had their moments but the mostly bored me. I gotta admit that I loved the chorus for The Road Goes Ever On though.

Same goes for the other Moonlyght songs. Fantasy is the only one I liked.

Mannen som blev en gris
09-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I agree about Moonlyght. Well, I haven't listened a lot to the other songs, but Fantasy is the only one I really enjoyed.

I love Wuthering Heights right now, but I didn't expect you to like them that much, to be honest.

And guess what people? Blind Guardian's A Night at the Opera arrived yesterday. It took over a month, but it was so worth it! I love it, just like everyone else. First I didn't think it was that special, but I remember that people say it grows on you, and it did! I've been listening to the album for hours now. And I got the version with the Italian bonustrack. It's honestly one of the best songs on the album.
And next Sunday I'll see them live! Woho!!

EDIT EDIT EDIT!: Oh crap! They have a sale on Cdon! This means, I can buy several albums for less than 69kr ($9)! For example, Dio's Magicka is only 56 kr ($7). I might get that one actually. Anyway, what's interesting is that I'm actually tempted to buy Dream Theater's I&W. It's against everything I've ever said, but still... it's so cheap. And it's supposed to be great. I'm also thinking of buying Operation: Mindcrime for $9, only because it's supposed to be one of the best concept albums of all time. I'm really not sure though, since I don't like the bands... Hm. I'll have to think about it, but in a week or so, you might see a DT album in Mannen's cd collection!

IAmARevenant
09-16-2006, 01:51 PM
why would you say/think that?

because somehow metal turned into a bunch of grunting nonsense with noise in the backround. Gone are the days of Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and Led Zeppelin.

Tigger Army
09-16-2006, 02:50 PM
interesting point of view though I don't agree. Ofcourse the black and especially death metal scenes have grown enormously compared to heavy and power metal but I wouldn't call those dead or anything. And the days of Iron Maiden are hardly gone I'd think. And let's be serious Black Sabbath was only good in the days with Ronnie James Dio, short days

IAmARevenant
09-16-2006, 03:34 PM
And the days of Iron Maiden are hardly gone I'd think.
Yeah, you're right.

And let's be serious Black Sabbath was only good in the days with Ronnie James Dio, short days
totally disagree.

Tigger Army
09-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Yeah, you're right.

totally disagree.

Haha I figured as much :) That's okay. I just really don't like Ozzy's voice and am rather fond of grandpa Ronnie's. But most people disagree with me on this one :)

Autonomist
09-17-2006, 02:53 AM
Checked out some Dream Theater this weekend, and was really surprised by them. It was a fortunate surprise though and I loved them, though they were much different from what I'd expected.

Also recently been enjoying Corrosion of Conformity, Megadeth and Dio.

'fin.

Manic Subsidal Boy
09-17-2006, 04:33 AM
Maiden died in the 90's but 'ave been Reincarnated along side by Benjamin Breeg with a masterpiece album A Matter Of Life And Death