PDA

View Full Version : High school radio station

Radi0_havana52
05-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Hey i was wondering what u would need to convince the school board to get a high school radio station, i'm GATHERING pititions. crap i got to go, some one help me out here

Little_Miss_1565
05-16-2006, 10:30 AM
I ran a college station for 4 years, so best of luck :)

First, you have to convince the school board that getting the FCC licencing and certification is worth their while (which it is)--which is more than a petition. You're basically asking them to spend 1000s of dollars they might not have thougth to do. Basically, you have to answer questions for them, like who on the faculty can take charge of a group of students doing this? Are there any high school stations in the area already (might be good if they're not)? How would the students having this radio station benefit the school?

You might also want to look up other high schools on the internet and get in contact with them, and ask how they got started. Good luck!

Rinoa
05-16-2006, 11:50 AM
What Little Miss 1565 said, plus maybe thinking of some ways to raise money for the school station. The less work and money the school committee have to put into it, the better chance you'll have.

Jakebert
05-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Like everyone has said, you're going to need a decent hunk of cash to get things rolling, as well as an FCC license. I'd wait to pitch the idea until you get a plan to pay for it and things.

wheelchairman
05-16-2006, 01:06 PM
I've been fired from high school radio.

Rinoa
05-16-2006, 01:45 PM

What did you do, dare I ask?

JohnnyNemesis
05-16-2006, 01:56 PM
It's cause he's a commie, and commies are evil.

coke_a_holic
05-16-2006, 01:56 PM
Similarly, I got fired from my middle school morning announcements crew. I chose/played the opening music before the show, and the sponsor was fed up with my "headbanger music." I was so punk rawk.

wheelchairman
05-17-2006, 01:18 AM
Well I got fired for probably 3 reasons.

1. I didn't play the spots (they are like advertisements, but on public radio.) Because in my opinion, they took away from my talking time.

2. I got bored, so my friend and I would take turns being blindfolded. The object of the game was that the blind folded person had to find the other person before the song ended. Like, hello dead air.

3. I made my friend curse a few times by sticking the fish-smelling (we named them according to smell) microphone into his ear while talking.

Little_Miss_1565
05-17-2006, 03:09 AM
Well I got fired for probably 3 reasons.

1. I didn't play the spots (they are like advertisements, but on public radio.) Because in my opinion, they took away from my talking time.

lol, yeah, that's an FCC violation right there that could have gotten the station shut down. along with the cursing. :P

Radi0_havana52
05-17-2006, 07:49 AM
Hey thanks for the info BBS :D