PDA

View Full Version : car people, give me your thoughts

Sunny
05-16-2006, 10:33 AM
disclaimer: if you don't give two shits about cars, leave nowwww.

ok, so we (charlie + i) want to trade our car in. because it's huge. and a gas guzzler. and we can't park it anywhere. well, ok, HE can't. i can't drive.

current car (http://z.about.com/d/trucks/1/0/p/04_f150_ftx.jpg)

now the catch is, we're leasing this bitch.. so the new car HAS to be more expensive orrr they won't let us trade it in. so that 1) sucks 2) limits our options to like.. luxury sedans. ;z

our options as of now are:

volvo s60r (http://www.westerndriver.com/images/ArticlePictures/600/2005012611AT%20Volvo%20S60%20AWD.jpg)
jaguar x-type sport (http://articles.motortoday.com/news/XTypeSport/XTypeSport-1.jpg)
mercedes c230 (http://www.in.gr/auto/dokimes/pr_dokimes_in/Mercedes-Benz_SportsCoupe/big/in_Mercedes-Benz_Sports_Coupe_19.jpg)
cadillac cts (http://www.gmcanada.com/images/vehicles/2006/cadillac/cts/cadi_cts_mode_01_main.jpg)

they're all comparable price-wise, with the jaguar being the most expensive =/ and the cadillac being, oddly, the cheapest. apparently the volvo is the most reliable and the fastest.

so my question is, do you know anything about any of these? is any one of them superior to the others (other than what i already mentioned)?

most importantly, are there any other cars/brands that are 1) reliable 2) in the same price range?

Little_Miss_1565
05-16-2006, 10:46 AM
If you guys are concerned about gas mileage, check out Toyota!

HornyPope
05-16-2006, 10:47 AM
You drove a pick up in NYC... ? Or is that machine from Texas?

And why are these the only options? Don't they carry BMWs and Audis? I'd settle in for either of those two.

Sunny
05-16-2006, 10:51 AM
vlad, that hugezor thing is from texas indeed. it helped with moving and furniture design stuff, but now its just a major pain in the ass.

the only bmw we can afford charlie doesn't fit into. not enough leg room apparently.

i think we looked at an audi a4. it seemed too expensive for what it is. =/

1565, any specific car you have in mind?

TheUnholyNightbringer
05-16-2006, 10:53 AM
I've heard a lot that Cadillacs are dreadful. But unfortunately that's all the advice I can give. Good luck.

Sunny
05-16-2006, 10:55 AM
ow. that sucks. i thought it was a good brand.

now the jaguar is also off the list because i just spoke to the leasing guy and they're apparently pretty hard to find. so the price goes way up.

Little_Miss_1565
05-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Hmm...well, I'm bringing my Prius to NYC with me, though it might be a little under your price range--though check it out!. I know they've been putting the hybrid technology into tons of their cars lately, and some of 'em are pretty nice.

nieh
05-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Based on stories I've heard from friends and friends of friends, I'd recommend the Volvo or the Mercedes. Surprisingly Jaguars seem to have lots of problems. You'd be better off with a BMW in the luxury car dept but you said you can't afford one so that kind of ruins that idea.

Sunny
05-16-2006, 11:06 AM
yeah, the only bmw we could afford is the 325 sedan. i heard that jaguars are problematic too, wtf. they look so nice and i was really comfortable in the one we test drove. =/

the prius looks cute.. and it seems like it can be loaded with stuff to bring the price up. i hate the fact that the new car has to be more expensive. bleh.

HornyPope
05-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Well there's also the nissans and the mazdas. Seem like a good fit for you, price-wise.
Maxima has a lot of leg room, that I know. Mazda6 is a semi-luxery model.

wheelchairman
05-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Volvo is a swedish company. Apparently they are known for making the world's safest cars.

That's all I can tell you.

If you need expensive, Renault's are really nice.

Sunny
05-16-2006, 11:46 AM
i don't think renaults are available in the US.

and yeah, the volvo is looking better and better. they also make a gorgeous hard-top convertible, but they're super expensive.

sKratch
05-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Hmm...well, I'm bringing my Prius to NYC with me, though it might be a little under your price range--though check it out!. I know they've been putting the hybrid technology into tons of their cars lately, and some of 'em are pretty nice.
From what I hear, hybrids aren't economically efficient yet; you pay more for the car and don't save too much on gas. It's better for this 'ol planet earth thing though.

Josh - Mercedes also have shit tons of problems. My dad had one and it's costing him so much to maintain that he has to get rid of it.

Sunny
05-16-2006, 11:57 AM
i'm not too worried about maintenance because from what i understand, the lease only lasts 36 months. ;z then its new car time.

Rag Doll
05-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Volvos are very reliable and very safe. I know people that have like 300k miles on theirs with few, if any, problems. And the one you posted a picture of is nice. I'd prolly go with that one, in your situation.

Little_Miss_1565
05-16-2006, 01:07 PM
From what I hear, hybrids aren't economically efficient yet; you pay more for the car and don't save too much on gas. It's better for this 'ol planet earth thing though.

My hybrid gets 45-47 mpg. That's rather saving a lot on gas, I think.

Vera
05-16-2006, 01:14 PM
I just like the word "Volvo" a lot.

Get the Volvo. Make it a Sunny Volvo. Plus it's just hot.

Vera
05-16-2006, 11:11 PM
My word is that final, eh?

wheelchairman
05-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Volvos really are safe, I got into a carcrash in one, the front and back both totally shrivelled up, but the bit with the people in it stayed completely in shape and none of the people in it were harmed.

- Tizz

arak0r
05-17-2006, 01:16 AM
apparently volvo is swedish for built like a fuckin tank.

no really :o theyre fucking beasts. very safe, and actually pretty damn nice usually :p a luxury tank!

kamikaze
05-17-2006, 05:23 AM
On your list, I'd say Volvo. From what I understand, they are one of the safest cars on the road.

Sunny
05-17-2006, 10:27 AM
i think volvo it is, afterall. we need a safe car. ha. and apparently it's faster than the bmw 3 series (wtf).

thanks for your thoughts, everyone. :] car shopping is more confusing/frustating than id thought.

HornyPope
05-17-2006, 10:34 AM
I sincerely hope the advicees here didn't sway your mind...

Sunny
05-17-2006, 10:40 AM
they weren't the deciding factor, ;p but it was nice to hear what people think. admittedly, i don't really know shit about cars other than "IS PRETTY" and "IS NOT", so i'm sure certain members here are more educated on the subject than i am.

on a creepy note, there were 4 volvos parked on my street this morning. we're such fucking conformists. >_>

Vera
05-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Sunnykins, I'mma PayPal you some money tomorrow morning since it was pay day today!

I'm going to put in an extra 15 dollars for the incredible delay in my payments & for your wedding (in case I can't come to NYC in August) AND for you to pimp your new Volvo ride a bit.

<3

calichix
05-18-2006, 02:44 AM
do you know what kind of engines they all have? the only one I know for shizz is the mercedes c230 has a banchin v-6 (those are cool cause you can barely hear the car when you're driving. purrs like a kitten she does). the engine is 4 million times more imporant to look at than the body cause you can always get a paint job or whatevs. and fuel efficiency (duh) but the c230 is kind of a highway car and you live in nyc :/

I think for the city a hybrid would be genius cause it's got regenerative braking. and it's environmentally sound. :]

Little_Miss_1565
05-18-2006, 04:33 AM
on a creepy note, there were 4 volvos parked on my street this morning. we're such fucking conformists. >_>

Volvo is the official car of BK, baby. :)

Tizzalicious
05-18-2006, 04:35 AM
Burger King?
-WCM

Little_Miss_1565
05-18-2006, 04:37 AM
Burger King?
-WCM

lol u r furrinner.

Tizzalicious
05-18-2006, 04:40 AM
I'm embarrassed to admit this. But I actually have no idea what BK is....

- WCM

Little_Miss_1565
05-18-2006, 05:15 AM
How the hip kids sometimes refer to Brooklyn. ;)

killer_queen
05-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Get the Jaguar. I heard people who own Jaguars feel so much more different than they used to feel before having it.

Sunny
05-19-2006, 01:07 PM
were these people going through mid-life crisis? =p

seriously, though, the jaguar sounds like too much of a hassle for the money. besides, our leasing agent said that the kind we want is pretty rare.. and hard to find cars become even more expensive. and if on top of that the car isn't reliable and breaks down a lot.. eh, no.