PDA

View Full Version : Co1: My f*cking review

no_way
05-16-2006, 05:23 PM
Ok I always wanted to make a review of my favourite Offspring album so finally, here it goes:

Intro: Short, but sutil. Shows more maturity from the band, but I would have preferred it if it wasn’t so quick. Besides Dexter says “When we’re ready to sing”, and he’s the only one that sings (Noodles sometimes, maybe greg..)

Come out Swinging: Very good way to start an album. Full of energy, as all their first songs. I think lyrics are a little weak, but that’s what less counts

Original Prankster: Well, it was a hit, they did what they’ve donde with pretty fly to attract audience, but on their own style, not like other punk band’s sweet pop style (Wake me up – Green Day). Though it’s one of those up ‘n down songs, it’s got a good rhythm, good hook.

Want you bad: Lyrically, the situation is well set up: “If you could only read my mind…”. The part that kills it is the bridge: “Don’t get me wrong, I know you’re only being good…”. I don’t like the sound of it though, neither as a single, nor as a regular album song.

Million Miles Away: Great intro, great lyrics, great melody, great hook. Nothing criticisable on that song. It’s not my favourite though.

Dammit, I changed again: See ‘Million Miles Away’

Livin’ in chaos: Catchy. A shame they didn’t use it for single, it would have been big I think.

Special Delivery: The intro is very soft, and I think it may be original but it has no energy. The lyrics are just like every other pop song it could ever exist. The background voices when dexter sings “Can’t break from my sins, cannot pray…”… I would have take ‘em off and put something with the guitar, the drums, I don’t know… anything but that.

One fine day: The chorus is terribly bad. That effect on Dexter’s voice sux, you can barely listen to the instruments. Lyrics suck too. The stanzas/verses are quite good though, and so is the bridge (I believe it’s my god given right…)

All Along: Ok so it’s a filling song. But who cares if it’s such a damn good fill??? It’s a shame it’s so short, because it rocks, fills you with energy. The end is the best part (all along I still believed in you) I don’t know why but it sound amazing.

Denial, revisited: That’s one excellent song and no offspring fan expected it. Although it’s been criticised a lot I’ve got to say it’s great there’s at least one “love song” on the album. The intro is too common, but the last part (and when we wrote this story, how did it end?..) is good written, good played and full of offspring energy as usual.

Vultures: Sounds quite old, like a Smash song. It’s a great song, though lyrics are a little weak. Good old offspring sound. Love it!

Conspiracy of one: very short song. Excellent lyrics with a great meaning. Good sound. I love the thing with the guitar at the beginning.

That’s it. Thank you very much.

bouncingcoles
05-16-2006, 05:48 PM
its actually mike love from the beach boys who says the intro. but o well. i like your review. i think CO1 is a great album too although many other people dont like it as many as the other albums. but let me warn you a lot of people might get pissed about this thread because a lot of people hate when people post reviews.

endlesst0m
05-16-2006, 05:51 PM
its actually mike love from the beach boys who says the intro.

I've heard that before, and I might have even read it somewhere, but that voice still sounds EXACTLY like Dexter to me.

Emily_offspring_fan
05-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Intro: Short, but sutil. Shows more maturity from the band, but I would have preferred it if it wasn’t so quick. Besides Dexter says “When we’re ready to sing”, and he’s the only one that sings (Noodles sometimes, maybe greg..)
But we sing at the pair of Dex. I guess he is referred to that.

Come out Swinging: Very good way to start an album. Full of energy, as all their first songs. I think lyrics are a little weak, but that’s what less counts
Yeah, lot of energy,great song, it reminds me a lot of "Staring at the sun"

Original Prankster: Well, it was a hit, they did what they’ve donde with pretty fly to attract audience, but on their own style, not like other punk band’s sweet pop style (Wake me up – Green Day). Though it’s one of those up ‘n down songs, it’s got a good rhythm, good hook.
Nah, I think it's great although it was a hit. One of my favorite hits of the post Americana era, I guess, besides CGMHAR,

Want you bad: Lyrically, the situation is well set up: “If you could only read my mind…”. The part that kills it is the bridge: “Don’t get me wrong, I know you’re only being good…”. I don’t like the sound of it though, neither as a single, nor as a regular album song.
Ha, I totally hate that, well I don't hate that, it's an Offspring song, I can't get that, but it's the worst Offspring song. Shitty lyrics and melodies.

Million Miles Away: Great intro, great lyrics, great melody, great hook. Nothing criticisable on that song. It’s not my favourite though.
It's good, but it is a little boring when you have listened to it too much.

Dammit, I changed again: See ‘Million Miles Away’
It's a great song, not of my favourites but it's pretty good.

Livin’ in chaos: Catchy. A shame they didn’t use it for single, it would have been big I think.
My favourite song besides Vultures. I think Huck It would have been a better choice for a single.

Special Delivery: The intro is very soft, and I think it may be original but it has no energy. The lyrics are just like every other pop song it could ever exist. The background voices when dexter sings “Can’t break from my sins, cannot pray…”… I would have take ‘em off and put something with the guitar, the drums, I don’t know… anything but that.
I like it very much, the rhytm it's very original and cool. It has been criticized a lot, although it's a good song, in my opinion.

One fine day: The chorus is terribly bad. That effect on Dexter’s voice sux, you can barely listen to the instruments. Lyrics suck too. The stanzas/verses are quite good though, and so is the bridge (I believe it’s my god given right…)
I can't stop singing that. It's very fast, not one of the best songs but very funny. And Dexter voice did not suck!

All Along: Ok so it’s a filling song. But who cares if it’s such a damn good fill??? It’s a shame it’s so short, because it rocks, fills you with energy. The end is the best part (all along I still believed in you) I don’t know why but it sound amazing.
All Along, huh, I guess it's one of my forgotten Offspring songs! I never really pay attention to that song.

Denial, revisited: That’s one excellent song and no offspring fan expected it. Although it’s been criticised a lot I’ve got to say it’s great there’s at least one “love song” on the album. The intro is too common, but the last part (and when we wrote this story, how did it end?..) is good written, good played and full of offspring energy as usual.
It's great, a bit depressive, non Offspring sound, but pretty good.

Vultures: Sounds quite old, like a Smash song. It’s a great song, though lyrics are a little weak. Good old offspring sound. Love it!
Vultures is one of the greatest songs ever. My favourite from Co1.

Conspiracy of one: very short song. Excellent lyrics with a great meaning. Good sound. I love the thing with the guitar at the beginning.
It's good, I think. No more to add.

- -Lauren- -
05-16-2006, 06:11 PM
^That post was way too long.

DeAtHsTaR
05-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Yeah, god forbid you have to read or scroll down more than usual.

Emily_offspring_fan
05-16-2006, 06:52 PM
So?
(10 characters)

Luriden
05-16-2006, 06:57 PM
The Intro sounds like Dexter, but it's not. I've actually seen the Beach Boys concert on VH1 Classics that it was from. I was watching it with my mom and he said that right before they began, I was like "holy crap, why does that sound familiar...".

no_way
05-16-2006, 07:23 PM
i had no idea that was not dexter.. well what's the difference anyway?

Luriden
05-16-2006, 07:34 PM

Because the Beach Boys are legendary. The Offspring will be legendary a decade after they split up, but they're not quite there yet.

endlesst0m
05-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Because the Beach Boys are legendary. The Offspring will be legendary a decade after they split up, but they're not quite there yet.

If this next album sucks, they won't be legendary.

no_way
05-16-2006, 07:36 PM

i don't think they'll ever be legendary. beach boys aren't legendary. rolling stones are. and they haven't split up yet

NachoS_Ixnay
05-16-2006, 07:40 PM

It doesn't change my life, it's just the intro.

Venom Symbiote
05-16-2006, 08:41 PM
You know, all of these song-by-song analysis things aren't reviews.

They're just that: song-by-song criticisms.

A review has structure, go read up on one before writing it, or just change your description of what you're writing.

Marco
05-17-2006, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE=no_way]Ok I always wanted to make a review of my favourite Offspring album so finally, here it goes:

QUOTE]

The intro isn't said by dexter. There's also written on the booklet: It's from a live of THE BEACH BOYS. I saw the video on rock tv and it sucks...well, good review!!!

Little_Miss_1565
05-17-2006, 10:14 AM
i don't think they'll ever be legendary. beach boys aren't legendary. rolling stones are. and they haven't split up yet

Point of fact--Beach Boys are, in fact, legendary.

You know, all of these song-by-song analysis things aren't reviews.

They're just that: song-by-song criticisms.

A review has structure, go read up on one before writing it, or just change your description of what you're writing.

Oh, Venom Symbiote. Other people having a bit of fun doesn't hurt you. Why do you have to go shit all over it with your hair-splitting?

no_way
05-17-2006, 10:58 AM
Point of fact--Beach Boys are, in fact, legendary.

haven't heard a LOT about them, that's why

JohnnyNemesis
05-17-2006, 11:01 AM
Why do you have to go shit all over it with your hair-splitting?

Because he's a fucking idiot.

- -Lauren- -
05-17-2006, 05:30 PM
So?

It doesn't need to be that long. You could just simply point out "I agree with you on (insert song title here), however I think that ____ song is (insert comment here.)"

It would make it much shorter, more worthwhile reading, less scrolling, and much less annoying.

no_way
05-17-2006, 05:32 PM
well, then this thread should be called now "Euge and Emily's Co1 review"

Emily_offspring_fan
05-17-2006, 05:39 PM
It doesn't need to be that long. You could just simply point out "I agree with you on (insert song title here), however I think that ____ song is (insert comment here.)"

It would make it much shorter, more worthwhile reading, less scrolling, and much less annoying.
Huh, your fingers must be really tired for scrolling down so much!
OMG, poor of you. I'm really sorry. :rolleyes:

Emily_offspring_fan
05-17-2006, 05:40 PM
well, then this thread should be called now "Euge and Emily's Co1 review"
No, it's yours.

0r4ng3
05-17-2006, 05:47 PM
I didn't read a word of the review yet, but I know Living In Chaos is underrated here.

That_Guy91
05-17-2006, 06:17 PM
I didn't read a word of the review yet, but I know Living In Chaos is underrated here.
Surprisingly, no. But the thread starter can't spell "subtle".

no_way
05-17-2006, 06:56 PM
Surprisingly, no. But the thread starter can't spell "subtle".

i'm sorry if my english is not perfect but can you spell "MATATE" o "ME CHUPA"?? huh.. that's what i thought...

That_Guy91
05-17-2006, 06:57 PM
i'm sorry if my english is not perfect but can you spell "MATATE" o "ME CHUPA"?? huh.. that's what i thought...
Oh, sorry. Didn't know it was your second language. My bad.

Emily_offspring_fan
05-17-2006, 07:05 PM
Hahah, lol, I am the only one who understand (apart from you).
Well, you don't have to be that rude with the guy. And he apologises!

no_way
05-17-2006, 07:07 PM
mmnah.. he didn't know what i meant anyway :o

besides it's not that i've always liked him...

Emily_offspring_fan
05-17-2006, 07:08 PM

Why?
(10 characters)

no_way
05-17-2006, 07:12 PM
i've got my reasons.. let's just drop this.. loooots of people in here don't like me too.. maybe even you

Little_Miss_1565
05-17-2006, 07:30 PM

He apologized to you, cabrón. Clearly you CAN read, so don't even front.

no_way
05-17-2006, 07:33 PM
alright... sorry... this is so stupid...

Llamas
05-17-2006, 10:31 PM
I like everyone here :) there are a couple people who are rude to me a little too much, but much love all around.

and people need to not be so quick to judge people's spelling errors... there are a LOT of people on here whose first languages aren't english.

The beach boys are legendary. They certainly are extremely well known and famous. I wouldn't say they're as legendary as the beatles or the ramones, but I'd give them equal status with the rolling stones and aerosmith. Even U2 (who only stands out more because it's more recent). the beach boys are classic, and no matter how cheesy they are, I will always sing along to "surfin USA" :D

NachoS_Ixnay
05-18-2006, 10:46 AM

Are you sure? mejor sea así